Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis Tires/Wheels

2»

Comments

• I too moved from a 1994 to a newer one - a 94 Grand Marquis LS for a 2002 Grand Marquis LSE. The newer one handles better, but the older one had better road isolation.

The window regulators were a weak point on the older Grand Marquis - the only weak points on the newer ones is the cost cutting in certain areas by Ford - the bugs have been worked out for the most part, so you should get good service for years from the newer one.
  • What about installing 16" rims on a 91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Wagon? Factory rims are 15". I want to run a larger tire than the std. Ford spec tire.

Standard tires for Ford Crown Vic and Mercury Colony Park Wagons are 215x75x15. Have run 225x75x15 on Crown Vic Wagon.

Cannot buy Michelin HyroEdge tires 225x75,70,or 60 x15. If 16" rims will work I could buy Michelin HydroEdge 225x60x16".

I installed heavy duty Moog springs and Heavy Duty Bilstein shocks on a Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Wagon. Wagon now sits up higher and 215's look way too small.

I think the rims will fit. Height clearance should be okay. Turning clearance?

Anyone have any comments or suggestions?
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,328
    Considering the subject vehicle is over 15 years in age, my economic approach would be to install 225 Michelins on the factory wheels because I don't know if 16" rims are compatible with the brake system and are you considering making the adjustments in your speedometer and odometer?

Is there a 235 75 X15 Michelin out there you could use?
  • fordenvyfordenvy Posts: 72
    I replaced them because they wouldn't hold pressure worth a darn, but I found out it improved other things to. Such as the way it handled at high speeds, steering wheel was easier to turn and no jerky freeway curves, you know those jerky corrections. Also the took bumps better and quieter. I thought michelins were good tires, and these tires weren't even wore out. With 43000 miles and 3 years old. You think it was an isolated pair of michelins that were bad or do you think it is in general. I always thought the car was that bad of quality, but these new tires turned my entire belief around. It's like 200% better in all those categories. And I also keep 32 psi in my tires, because that is what I recommend not because Ford recommends it.
  • pewepewe Posts: 1
    Can anybody please help me out on how to go about adapting 2003 wheels on my 2000 Crown Vic. Thanks
    Are they not interchangable, considering the bolt patterns?

Remember to update the spare if you go to the larger wheels.
  • I currrently have a 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis in am wondering if 22" wheels will fit on the car without a lift kit
  • I have a grand marquis 1996 LS The Optional one with the nice rims (Grilled) screen shape.

and I was wondering if I can get something as nice as those for winter, I don't want to rowan them in salt The tire says P225/60/16 I think.

The bolt pattern is not common so Canadian tire dose not carry any Alloy rims for it
    Unfortunately.

I'm going to contact the dealership for similar ones to see if they still have them.

Any suggestions/recommendations? I don't want to spend a whole lots of money and at the same time I don't want to order/ship from outside.

Thanks alot
    sam,
  • dj7tryppdj7trypp Posts: 3
    Best tires I have found are toyo touring 800 ultras. I'm running 225/75r15 on aftermarket saltflat wheels. They have good noise reduction and so much traction on dry pavement I can't burn the tires at all unless I'm going around a corner. If you want to go american, BFgoodrich or mickey thompson all the way. If you want your car to do CRAZY things around corners thicker stabilizer bars, Bilstein or eibach springs, kyb gas-a-just shocks, neg-roll control arms and a set of falken blades will do the trick.

My project is a maroon '90 CV with 54x18.5in boggers and a 24in lift though. I will post pictures as I go.
  • On my '97 Grand Marquis LS, the tires that are on there now (same ones when I bought the car a little over a year and a half ago) are low on tread, but should be ok until income taxes come in..... Anyway, the current tire size on the car is a 225/70R15..... The two tires that I'm looking toward is either the Michelin Hydro Edge or the Good Year Assurance Triple Tred. Where I live, it rarely gets cold enough for ice to form on the roads, and when it does, it doesn't hang out long. It pretty much is quite a rare occasion for it to snow, whenever it does snow though, seems like everything shuts down so people down here can enjoy it, so as far as the winter hardiness of the tire goes, it's not as important as other factors. Rain, we get a bit of it from time to time, and when I nice storm comes through they are usually compared to a small hurricane.... We still have a few dirt roads down here, but when they are wet, I try to avoid them. So, any suggestions? I'm not sure what the mileage rating for the Good Year is, but the Michelin is listed to be a 90k warranty on it....
  • Well, after finally using a different web browser, I managed to check sizing, ect on the tires..... The Good Year tires that I have listed is the only one out of the two that come in the current size that's on the car now..... The also have an 80k warranty.... So I guess the answer to the above question should be an easy one now, though I still would like to know if anyone here has these tires or not, and if so, what do you all think of them?
    Our Town Car came with Goodyear 225 X 15's & they lasted 60,000. I replaced them with Michelin X and they lasted 90,000 and 12 years. I just replaced them with Michelin Symmetrys and they ride the best.

Our T Bird has had Hydro Edge tires for over two years and no complaints.

If you have 225's you probably have dual exhaust and the "touring" suspension. Some Ford products call it the "handling package". If your Merc rides stiff and you feel the cracks in the pavement, I'd recommend the Symmetry Michelin. You could even drop down to the 215 X 70X 15 & have a White wall if you wanted to do that.
  • assuming that these are the original sized tires on he car, how would I be able to tell what packages this cars has? It only has single exhaust and I would not say that the car has a firm ride. I used to work as a correctional officer, and have driven he police edition Crown Vic a few times, and that car had a stiff ride to it, but it would get on down the road a bit easier to, lol. I don't have the window sticker that came with the car, and the people who I bought the car from inherited the car from their parents when they passed, so... Once I get the new tires on it, I would like to turn my attention a little more to the performance side of the car, due to the fact that the 4.6 in it, just doesn't seem to be all there..... I know it's not a Mustang, but I figure it should do more than it does.... I would love to have a Marauder, and there was one being sold not too long ago at the local Ford dealer, but heck, not many of them made, and this is a daily driven car, so the Marauder would end up getting some miles on it.... Anyways, thanks for the mentioning of the tires euphonium, I'll look into them.
2»
This discussion has been closed.