Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis General Maintenance

Comments

• p2minp2min Posts: 3
    Yes, I use the coolant that mixes with all coolants. But I have always kept the same color.

Thanks, I have a water pump leak and I will replace it. Thank again for your help. I hope this fixes the problem, because the car runs cool.
  • agellius3agellius3 Posts: 4
    Are you sure it's Ford who is recommending the tranny flush, or was it a dealer? Because I had a dealer tell me I needed to do it, but I could not find any such requirement in the manual. I have an 03 GM.
  • gobiggobig Posts: 6
    Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and I have recently purchased a 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with 29,400 miles on it. An older woman owned the car. It has been garage kept and probably hasn't been driven much the last three years.

This is my first Panther car and I'm not the typical age of MGM owners. I was going to give it a checkup. I know for sure I want the transmission fluid drained and changed in addition to the coolant. Is there anything else you guys think I should get checked out or be conscious of since it probably hasn't been driven more than 3,000 miles the last three years. Thanks in advance for your reponse!
  • Dear Gobig,

Nice to hear of someone else close to my situation....my purchase was of a '94 MGM GS with only 23k on it. I replaced the wiper blades, brake pads, and flushed the coolant system myself. I took to the dealer to have them flush the transmission. It had that stuttering vibration at 52mph because the previous owner didn't use the proper fluid when he changed it. The flush took care of the problem. I live in FL with hot humidity and am weary of anything rubber as I can tell by touch it is rotting. I also dealt with a leak. Everytime we get a bad rain, the right rear of the car fills up with water. I've taken the floor board plug out for drainage. I've had the car in two different dealerships over the issue (it's leaking around the firewall/AC unit) and have spent a few hundred bucks on it....to get no results. It seems worse when the car is parked on an incline with the trunk lower than the hood. So I sometimes back in to my parking space and this seems to do more good than anything. Good luck with your nice ride!
  • gobiggobig Posts: 6
    Thanks for the info! One other thing I recently noticed is on the passenger side of the car I hear something "flapping" in time with the rotation of the wheels. If I drive slower the flapping goes slow. As I speed up the flapping speeds up. I didn't notice anything sticking to the tires or protruding out from the side. I realize this might sound stupid. Anyone else ever have this?
  • I too have the "shudder", "jolt", "hippity-hoppity", 'shake you half to pieces thing' in my wonderful beast. I really shouldn't complain as the car was given to me as a wedding gift and other than the shake down thing, she works great.
    The RWD thing takes a bit of getting used to as my last car was a '90 Pontiac Bonneville.

I have just discussed that last suggestions of tranny and torque converter flushing with my husband and we will definately try this as we have no record of this being done.
    ">link title :confuse:
  • My '94 GM (now with 205k miles)had tranny shudder at about 2 years old and 34,000 miles. An independent transmission place told me to put Chrysler trans fluid in it because it contains some kind of additive to reduce friction, which the Ford fluid did not. Never had the problem again.
  • srd277srd277 Posts: 2
    My father was attempting to replace the fuel pump. During this process, the fuel lines on the fuel pump broke off in the quick connectors. Fuel lines all the way to the engine compartment are very rusty. He is wondering if anyone has any suggestions on the best way to go about replacing the entire fuel lines.
  • Great start to the New Year. Last night driving home in my 2000 GM an apparent mis-fire started. Seems to be at any load, but still accelerates reasonably under full throttle. I was thinking plugs, leans etc. Then the temp gauge went to max for a second or so before returning to normal. Did this a couple of times on way home (8 miles). Also, the traction control light came on and stayed on.

This morning, the 'check engine' light came on.

Any suggestions?
  • FIXED IT!

Don't know what caused the Temp Gauge flick, or TC light to come on, but I went to Murrays, borrowed their OBD 2 diagnostic gear, said No 8 misfire. Changed No.8 coil. now fine!

Glad that was cheap and easy ($63 inc tax). I also treated it to a new set of plugs, as they weren't too great (though color was fine), they are due for replacement at 100,000 miles (car's done 85,000), and they were only $24 including tax.
  • Glad the fix was simple - as is just about every repair on the Grand Marquis.
  • rhill7rhill7 Posts: 3
    We just bought a left over 2006 GM with the handling package. I am accustomed to doing or at least understanding our vehicle maintenance. What is a source for the Factory Service Manual?

Thanks in Advance. :)
  • Only 50k on the clock, regularly check the power steering oil and this weekend checked the pump, but from time to time the steering feel gets a bit stiff. Its soft in straight line but hardens as I turn the wheel left or right and then it eases off as the car runs into turn. The same when straightening up. Can't think what can be wrong saying that the oil and pump seem to be fine.

Tyres are less than 12 months old and wheels have been aligned and balanced. Very annoying feeling but main concern is safety when driving at speed. Any suggestions please?
  • my 99 cv pi gets 200 miles tank (BAD) it also dies out when i start it like it is running out of gas changed plugs,air control valve, termostat,belt.Just got car 2 weeks ago from priest looks mint 138000 miles my taxi has 350000 miles it starts right up ,also check engine came on, it is -10 in chicago my cab does not have any problems like that also 99 cv pi e-mail sergetaxi@yahoo.com 847 757-1271 cell
  • Sounds like you need a new IAC valve about $50 from autozone and an easy install.
  • that was first thing i did it was ok for 2 days now it is back the way it was before and i am only gettin 13 mi per gallon pretty sure it is related maybe o2 sensor or that other air controling sensor not iac
  • My Dad owns a 2001 Grand Marquis. He said the engine light came on this morning- the car has about 58K miles.

I have owned cars where the check engine light comes on at 60k just as a routine maintanence type thing. Is this true with the grand marquis also or does he need to be concerned and bring it in to the shop?
    Thanks
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,320
    Check for a low coolant level in the Reservor.
  • esfoadesfoad Posts: 210
    And make sure the gas cap is on correctly and tight, this can also trigger a CEL. If it's none of the above, it's probably a sensor.
  • What is sounds like is that you car misfires. If it is only happened on idle , I'd believe in the Idle Air Sensor, but otherwise, I'd start checking vacuum hoses and EGR valve. Drop in vacuum can cause change in fuel mixture and engine could stutter, as well as burn more fuel. If vacuum is OK, start going through "electrical" route - plugs/coils/wires. If that checks out check fuel pump + injectors.
  • this weekend put new idle air sensor, fuel filter I thought the sensor i put before might of been bad it starts better but still takes lots of gas 13 per gal and when i drive 30-40 miles per hr sometimes it shakes just little when my foot is on gas sometimes when i am standing at the light it will start shaking more but then i go forward and it drives perfect.Hooked it up to tester it showed nothing is wrong put out check eng than it came back it was little orange scanner they use at autozone,I hope it is nothing seruios spark plugs were changed also.PLEASE GIVE ADVICE WILL TRY ANYTHING !
  • My 94 Crown Vic just started making knocking noises and a ping type of noise every few seconds and when accerlated it shakes and acts like it isn't getting enough power. All fluids have been checked. What do u think could be the problem?
    Would be helpful to know how many miles are on the CV. If in excess of 110k, don't overlook the coil on plugs, plug wiring, and mass air sensor.
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Posts: 572
    Could be a lot of things, especially at it's age. But I would start with the ignition/timing system first.
  • fordenvyfordenvy Posts: 72
    I get my oil changed every 5000 miles, unlike the recommended 3000. My uncle worked for ford before buyout and told me that it was a waist of my money to change the oil every 3000 miles. He said it simply didn't get dirty enough to cause enough friction to do damage, so ford knows we only have to change it every 5000 but i think they have a scheme to get the dealerships more money for changing oil more often. what do you think?
    It may go without saying, but hopefully you also change filters when you change oil. Otherwise, it's like putting a new diaper on a dirty bottom. :blush:
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Posts: 572
    Your uncle is right - modern oil is far superior to what it was when you had to change it every 3,000 miles. Not to mention, cars run cleaner, so less contaminants get into the oil.

That being said, cars run hotter now than before. Therefore, on an engine understressed like the Grand Marquis, I'd go with 5,000 miles. On my wife's little Corolla, we still do it every 3,000 miles.

Oh yeah - I used 5w30 in summer, - 5w20 is too thin.
  • I'd replace the fuel filter (about $9) and if that does not work have a shop check the fuel system.
  • I've always done around 3000. That's how I was taught growing up. Maybe I'm wasting money but the flip side is I've had a lot of cars live past the 200,000 mile mark.
  • fordenvyfordenvy Posts: 72
    I definately change my filters.
    Which comes to another point Transmission fluid, I won't change it for the entire life of the vehicle, why because I never have in the past and the transmission lasted everytime to about 120,000 miles, so why start? You're going to say to make it last longer, but I don't need it to last any longer than that because I'll be in new wheels by that time.