Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis: Keyless Entry

2»

Comments

• I have a 1998 Grand Marquis. When I first go to start my car after it's been sitting over night it starts right up. I'll drive for a few miles then park and turn off the car. When I come back 20 minutes later I'll turn the key and the battery will kick in but when I turn it further there is nothing. The engine doesn't turn over at all. What I usually do is open the hood to "cool" the engine more quickly. I'll get out of the car and lock it via the key pad. I'll wait a few minutes then enter the car via the keypad. When I try again it kicks in and starts normally.

The only thing I can think of is in the past I couldn't get my key fob to work. A dealership said they key pad module wasn't good and that's why they couldn't get the key fob to work.

Is there a chip in the key that communicates with the key pad module? If that communication is broken the care won't start? Has anyone heard of that before? I can't think of anything else that would cause my no start behavior. Thanks in advance for you help!
  • sure, the key has a chip in it, but unless the key is getting hot, if it works once , then again later, it is not the program in the key....Check your brake lights when the car wont start..if they are not working your safety interlock multi-contact switch in the steering column could be the problem....it started acting intermittant on me and all sorts of goofy stuff happened...If you have a check engine lite on you should get someone with a reader to get the code number ,,usually a used car dealer will have a hand-held unit for fixing the stuff on thier own lot, but they wont try to soak you like a dealer would....Remember, the weather is starting to turn, and batteries get old before you know it, if the car has good compression, and gets warm then a weak battery may not turn it over until it cools, check your battery terminals, clean them with baking soda and water, then after you re-assemble them, cover them with a light..(very light) coat of oil. also check the battery acid level, only use distilled water to top the up, as even maintainence free batteries sometimes get low on liquid, especially after this dry summer... Good luck
  • gobiggobig Posts: 6
    Thanks for the tips. I don't have a check engine lite. I'll check the break lights and the battery. Thanks for the help! I appreciate it!
  • I just bought a 96 Marquis LS and It was in the owners manual a white card with the code on it. and there's a way to change to your favorite in the manual.

mine was easy plug number and open car.

Thanks\
    Sam,
  • I found my code in the trunk of my 1998 Crown Vic. It was on the support arm.
  • herbh1herbh1 Posts: 2
    How can I get the cover off or otherwise get in to the dome light bulb? I wonder why Ford leaves this out of the manual.
  • cyberwizcyberwiz Posts: 7
    I realize this is a very old post but I'm the OP I was browsing through my old posts and I realized that I never replied to harmar2. No guarantee that anyone who read this thread is still around after all this time but it might help someone out to know that the Security Module in a 2000 Grand Marquis was located under the drivers side interior door skin. I found it quite by accident during some later work on the car and forgot that I had even asked the question.
  • mgmownermgmowner Posts: 1
    Not sure if this will work for the older model, but after you enter the code you hit 3/4 to unlock the doors or 5/6 to open the trunk
2»