Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura MDX Towing

Comments

• jimjackjimjack Posts: 43
    JBaumgart,
    I get the typical slide sound from the square tubing of the receiver and hitch from the stop and go perspective. I really hadn't spent the time to figure the other sound as yet. I have not measured the height but can say that the rear dropped down about the same as my Suburban did. I store my boat on my driveway and need to back it in. The grade is upward from the street to the house (22' long and 24" high). It handled pretty well. No more info at present.

Jim
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    Jim, thanks for the additional info. I have a pretty good grade from the street to my garage, and since having my driveway re-done last year, it's now steeper down by the street. This now causes the hitch to scrap as it passes over this angle, either coming or going. The factory FX45 hitch is angled down to where the ball mounts, and I am thinking of trying to reverse the direction of the ball mount to provide more clearance. But I'm not sure if this is recommended and/or safe to do (?) until I buy a new vehicle (probably MDX).

Anyway, thanks again and please report back once you've taken your MDX and boat on a trip.

Joel
  • Hi:
    Need a hitch to tow an (as yet) imaginary boat. Simple class 3 is $1100. at the dealer, and $350 at an experienced local place(for hitch, ball and wiring).
    Please tell me if I am silly to save the money and risk ruining my new Acura! What is different at the dealer that they can charge so much more?
    Thanks, Kat
  • I know that both the older MDXes and the Pilots are towing rated at 4500 lb for boats and 3500 lb for "other" trailers. What I want to know is how much they can really tow. We have an "other" trailer that weighs about 4000 lb. We don't tow often...maybe 10 days a year tops, and rarely more than a couple of hours per trip.

Would either a Pilot or an older MDX be able to handle that amount of towing? Has anyone had experience with towing slightly outside the ratings?
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    Go to the local trailer place. They know more re towing than your dealer. The savings is just a plus. Be sure the trailer tongue is roughly parallel with the vehicle when attached. They make variable height hitch balls and/or adjustable height hitches to get it right. Hope this helps.
  • Hi:

Looking for additional ideas for the best Aftermarket Hitch w/ wiring harness to add to an 08 MDX that I will be leasing soon.

Dealer wants $995 (anyone getting a better price from a dealer?)

I've seen some of the hitches available (Hidden Hitch) but they don't look as integrated as the Acura Hitch kit. (pretty crummy actually).

Looks like I may be able to get the Acura hitch kit for $500 direct but it looks difficult to install myself.

BTW I am towing a moderate sized boat but only twice per year.

Thanks in advance!

Anthony O
    :shades:
  • Anthony, sorry can't offer any suggestions but please report back after you decide what to do.
  • I found a great post on AcuraMDX.org

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=5bb71ee6a6ee2fc025707dd2b2159f87- - &threadid=28975&highlight=hitch

Once I get the car I think I will be going with the Valley Hitch from etrailer.com

http://www.etrailer.com/productdetail.asp?partno=V82111&vehicleid=9866&yearfrom=- - 2007&h=

Looks like the Hitch and Wiring Harness can be had for about $150

This looks just as nice as the $1000 Acura Dealer installed Hitch!

I'll post my experience once I get this all installed..

Thanks

Anthony O
  • Very cool, and very reasonable too. Looks like the way to go - good luck!
  • arnold10arnold10 Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 MDX. I am looking to buy a 3200lb (dry weight) camper. The manual says 3500lb towing capacity and 4500lb capacity on a boat trailer. I called the dealer who advised me that 4500lb. is the capacity with the towing package (coolers etc.). Looking for anyone who has an experience towing with this kind of weight and any comments on whether the vehicle would be capable of handling this load.
  • newfie86newfie86 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 MDX and I tow a 4400LB boat and trailer that I bought late last year. (20ft bow rider with inboard). Other than excessive fuel consumption I have not noticed any negative effects on the MDX. I did not install the transmission cooler yet, however I will do that this year to be on the safe side. On a straight run I can do 120km/h without too much strain, however I notice a steep drop in speed on an incline but the transmission will kick down a gear but I do feel the MDX work hard to get to the top of the incline. I expect this to be normal considering I am close to the max towing weight.
    I wouldn't worry too much if you are going short distances, however for long distances I would get the cooler. My trailer has tandem wheels with surge brakes. I don't notice the weight when I stop due to the trailer brakes.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • arnold10arnold10 Posts: 2
    This helps a lot Thanks. The fact that you are at the top end of the boat towing capacity without much difficulty gives me confidence I can pull this camper. I went and bought the camper this weekend. I am planning on getting the trans cooler installed along with a sway control as Acura does not receomend a weight distributing hitch. The camper is a single axle with surge brakes so I'll go with that. Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. I plan on pulling it about 150 miles in April, I'll post how it went.
  • We're planning to tow a 2007 Rockwood HW258G pop-up (2436 dry axle weight) with our 2003 MDX. Does anyone know why a power steering cooler is required for the 2003 MDX towing package? I understand the transmission cooler, but not the power steering cooler. Also, if anyone has any experience towing with a 2003 MDX please reply your experiences. Thanks!
  • morozmoroz Posts: 1
    Lots of great information on the site, however I have a question that has not been addressed. I am looking to buy a seadoo islandia, dry weight with trailer of 5100lbs. I know the acura is rated at 4500lbs, however I will not have 600lbs in passengers nor 200lbs in luggage and will only drive 2hrs. Will it do it? Usually the dealer underrates it to be safe and not spur any lawsuits etc. Thoughts? I would put a tranny cooler on it.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,960
    You might find this discussion interesting while waiting for MDX responses:

Utility Trailers are Dangerous

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• perktdperktd Posts: 2
    I was able to get a Valley Hitch plus the wiring harness installed in Portland, Oregon for approximately $325. I think it looks as nice as the Acura hitch and I am very pleased with the entire package. Don
  • Hi Don -

I live in Portland and just got a 2009 MDX. Where did you buy your hitch and get it installed?

Thanks

Ray
  • I just got my Valley Hitch and wiring kit in the mail. Everything looks good. Did you get one installed? If so where did they run the wiring harness? I can hook it up but then they want me to just pull it out and lay it out the back of the trunk. Id rather get it under the MDX if i can. Any info would help.
  • I purchased a Reese Hitch and installed it myself on our 2003 MDX. There's a tow loop on the drivers side that must be removed. I installed the bolts on the tow loop side without any trouble, but I ended up snapping off the nut that's welded in the frame for one of the bolts on the passinger side since the threaded holes on that side were rusty. You shouldn't have this issue with a newer MDX.

As I recall, I removed the storage panel to access a few screws to remove the rear molding panel and the harness connector is under the panel and has a dummy connector connected to it. The supplied harness plugs into the connector under the panel and then goes thru an access hole that has a rubber plug.

I ended up selling my MDX and got a GMC Yukon with auto-adjusting rear air-shocks to pull our camper. The rear suspension on the MDX was way to soft to pull our 3000 lb highwall pop-up.
  • shall2shall2 Posts: 1
    We have a 2008 Acura MDX and need to tow a car from NY to NC this summer. We should be just under the 5000 lb advertised limit. ANy suggestions on where to get/rent a tow package? Any pre-cautions to take?