Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Towing

2»

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Given the rate at which posters are indicating MDX torque converter failures I wouldn't even trust fully loading, all seats filled, the MDX, let alone towing.

But that means the (st,d)ealer is correct, you need a transmission cooler as a minimum if you plan to tow.
  • goomba1goomba1 Member Posts: 20
    That seems pretty hefty -- I'd seriously look for an aftermarket solution using a mechanic that specializes in hitches/wiring. Even with such a light load, I'd also make sure the fluid changes are all done (transmission, transfer case, differential) -- of course oil as well. By the way, I was at my local Acura dealer a few weeks ago to get some of those fluids, and they have a new rear differential fluid (somehow different from the owner's manual recommended transmission fluid). I'm kind of ticked off -- I just changed my rear diff fluid with the trans fluid recommended in the owners manual (I bought it from a Honda dealer), and now feel like i should change it already. I guess its only another $20.
    I would NOT use any fluids except those recommended by the factory.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    To me it seems what the dealer is recommending is overkill. Anything less than 2,000 lbs. total should be no problem, especially for very occasional use at moderate speeds on relatively flat roads. Obviously if you're regularly going up steep mountain roads at higher speeds and long distances it's a totally different story.

I like the suggestion of going aftermarket, and not spending any more than necessary. You just need to find somebody trustworthy that knows what they're doing.

But if you're uncomfortable, one alternative would be to sell your 2006 MDX and get a different vehicle where towing your expected loads won't be an issue. Even the newer MDX's are rated at 5,000 lbs. - I regularly tow a boat with my 2010 w/factory hitch. Fully loaded it's about 3,000 lbs. and the MDX does a great job.
    The real problem with the MDX towing is that the SH-AWD system is always engaged, even on highly TRACTIVE surfaces, during even the slightest level of acceleration.

Having a tow attached means taking a longer period in acceleration mode to get up to the speed you desire. The longer you spend in acceleration mode the longer the drive train remains over-stressed.

The answer might be to find a way to disengage the rear drive except for times of obvious need.
  • goomba1goomba1 Member Posts: 20
    It seems not too many vehicles were sold during the financial crisis, so 3 year old off-lease SUVs are not as good a deal as they were a year or so ago. That would be nice if you can buy new or certified and get that extended powertrain warrantee. Otherwise, would paying for the aftermarket hitch and adding that light towing load really make a difference between transmission failure vs no problems? I doubt it; maybe if it is one of the problem transmissions/torque converters it would fail a bit sooner than otherwise (in which case better to have bought another vehicle or a 2007+ MDX with factory hitch).