Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Intrigue Electrical / Lighting Problems

I hear clicking sounds behind the stearing weel ANd when I opened there is a clicking sound in the fuse box.
My internal ligths work.the radio the horn and the external light are not working.
I do not know what to do.....
My nidles on the metering are jumping like crazy........

Please help

Comments

• Hello,

The exact same thing happened to my wife's intrigue recently. I tried jumping it but it did not cause it to fire. However, i did notice that more dash lights worked when trying to jump it. I concluded there was probably a battery problem so I replaced the battery on the car. It didnt fire up after changing the battery either. What finally got it going again was to put the key in the ignition and turn it on and off quickly. After doing this repeatedly it turned on and has not given us any problems since. I am suspicious that there was a problem with the starter but when struck enough times it will work. Hope this helps
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    I'd say you have a problem with the ignition module. They tend to go in these vehicles.
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    FWIW, my dad has always advised me to not attach heavy key rings to car keys... All I have dangling from keys is the key fob.
    Good advice with this car. I had a situation over a year ago where whne I made left hand turns the car would shut off. It only happened 3 times and luckily I was able to steer off the road before someone rear ended me. i was able to shift inot neutral quickly and re-start the car. On the third occasion i drove to my mechanic (man, I miss him) and asked him for his advice. The first thing he asked was about my key chain and if I was accidently hitting it with my knee or hand as I made the turn. If that wasn't the case then he said it was either the ignition module going bad or another sensor in the wheel that tells the car to apply more gas to the engine as the steering wheel turns (someon help me out with this name). I took a bunch of junk off my key chain and moved my seat back and it hasn't happened since.

While it is nice having the ignition on the dash instead of the column, it does make for other problems like this.
  • Hello, I have a 1998 Intrigue that I'm still in love with but the brights come on when I first start my car when it is dark out or when the turn signal "pops" back into place. I took it to a Pontiac dealer but of course they said it was working correctly. Any ideas? Thanks
  • mick1mick1 Posts: 84
    Drive the car between sunrise and sunset and use the hand signals you learned in driver's ed. You'll never see the problem again. Really, sounds like an intermittent stalk switch short.
  • The dreaded headlight flickering seems to be getting worse day by day. Searching the archives seems to point to two possible causes, bad grounding or a bad alternator. Since we have a 1999 with possibly the original alternator, I may quickly try adding a ground strap, and if that fails to make any difference, bite the bullet and replace the alternator.

Forum wisdom seems to indicate P/N 10464395 should be superceeded by P/N 10464469
  • I own a 99 Intrigue and some of my lights are not luminating. Only about 3 of the radio buttons come on. The shift lights dont go on. Now the Speedometer lights are not coming on but my rpms are. Very odd. Anyone know what the cause of the problem is. Also my Left Blinker is flashing very quick.

Any suggestions help,

Thank you
    The left blinker flashing quickly is the classic sign that your left turn signal is out. Very easy to replace the bulb. When you are replacing the bulb, do a quick check and see if the connector in the socket is OK. Many have reported (including myself) about a bad connector which causes the bulb to burn out prematurely. If you notice any "burn" marks on the connector, you'll need to replace it. Unfortunately, it is only sold through GM dealers or gmpartsdirect.com. Very easy to change the socket as well.
  • kfdmedkfdmed Posts: 130
    Its burnt out. The bulb that lights up the what gear the car is in. How do you get in there to replace?
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    Look it up in this forum. I posted instructions on how to do it before.

HTH
  • I searched before I posted but must not have put in the right words. Just did it again says to ... unscrew and replace the bulb. How to you get to the bulb?
    Check out messages 10967 and 10968 on the main Intrigue forum. It's easy with these instructions. Should take you about 20 minutes to do. Good luck.
  • Car completely dead this morning. Drove 15 minutes to work turned off the ignition and tried to start immediately and its completely dead again. Is is correct to assume that this is not the battery and possibly the alternator? If its the alternator what is the replacement cost?
  • Is is correct to assume that this is not the battery and possibly the alternator?

No. Not really. You need to supply more info.

The battery is only for starting the car. Once the car starts the alternator is your power source. Is your dash charge indicator lit. Also be aware that there is a fusible link in the red wire from the alt to the bat. I believe the wire goes to the power distribution box before it goe sto teh bat. The fusible link should be there at the box.

1. Put a volt meter across the battery,
    Should read 12 volts.
    Lower than 9, probably will not engage the starter.

Turn on headlights should not drop less than 2 volts

2. Get the car started,(boost it) the voltmeter should read in excess of 13.5 volts. If so then the battery is being supplied a charge. Idiot light on dash sould be off.

Turn on blower motor to high, voltage should drop and then recover back to the 13.5 volts or whatever you had before you you turned on blower.
    With blower on turn on headlights, should drop again and recover again.

If so then alt is probably good.

3. Drive the car for 10 min. Shut off everything and connect the volt meter, if it is not 12 volts then the battery is dead or not taking a charge .

Turn on the headlight and read voltage, if it drops below 10 volts, same as above.

4. Disconnect the neg post first and then the positive and clean up any corrosion, reconnect positive first and then negative.

Be aware that gm has problems with the big red boot connector at the bat. sometimes it breaks internally.

Repeat voltage readings.

cheers
  • focusfocus Posts: 225
    It might be the anti-theft safety chip was acting up.
    "it seems many GM car has an anti-theft system known as PassLock. It contains an anti-sensor in the ignition lock cylinder housing and a small magnet contained in the ignition lock cylinder.
    With the proper key in the ignition cylinder, the cylinder will rotate freely and will be "timed" as it rotates to the start position.
    the sensor relays a voltage signal to the BCM (body control module), which determines if the sensor signal is correct.
    If all requirements are met, a code is sent to the PCM (powertrain control module) to issue fuel injection pulses to the fuel injectors.
    This allows the auto to start and run.
    The malfunction could be caused by something as simple as the ignition cylinder not rotating freely to faults in the sensor, wiring or BCM."
  • could this cause the daytime running lights not to come on when the key is turned they would come on before the car would start
  • I would like to know what solution you came up with for the dreaded headlight flickering problem. I have an olds intrigue in my shop but cannot make the headlights flicker. The owner says it happens al the time. I have driven the car and moved various wires and switches to try and cause the problem to no avail. Any input would be helpful.
    I know one of the regular members posted a solution he used to fix the flickering lights problem. It involved the ground wire for the alternator and reconnecting it. I believe he posted it about year ago.

It is definitely a problem with a number of Gm midsize vehcles. If you check out the GM minivan forum, it seems to be a problem even with the newer minivans.

Check post 294 & 334 of this forum. they may be the most help to you.
  • cwatcwat Posts: 6
    my 02 Intrigue had the headlight flicker problem. A dealer cleaned the alternator ground point on the right fender and sealed the ground point to prevent further corrosion and it has worked for the past 4 months.