Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Intrigue: General Care & Maintenance

dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
I want to start changing the oil in my vehicles and have a question regarding the paper filter for the INtrigue. This is the first time I have seen this type of filter and I haven't bothered to look under the car yet at the oil filter. How does the paper filter work? Also is there a special tool needed for the oil change?

I have a 2000 3.5 Intrigue.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• coonhoundcoonhound Posts: 174
    Removal of the filter requires the filter tool for an AC PF44 oil filter. You can purchase this along with the filter at Auto Zone. The filter is easily accessible, probably more so than a lot of canister filters.

The mounting base is of a composite with a very course thread and tends to bind with a moderate amount of friction. A T bar would be helpful to prevent a side thrust on the mounting, but I have never had to use one.

Anyway it's a piece of cake. Good luck:
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    Thanks coonhound. I'll make a trip to the auto shop this weekend....as long as this rain holds up.
  • indrgbindrgb Posts: 115
    The Auto Zone in my neighborhood does not carry the AC oil filter (PF2129), but does have 2 others that fit. One is a Fram that looks cheap, but costs about $10. The other is a STP (I think) that looks exactly the same as the AC and costs about $4. I usually buy the AC at another parts store for $5. Next time I think I will try the STP.

Regarding the difficulty in changing the filter, I would have to say it's more difficult than the average canister. Maybe I have been spoiled by cars with filters that were more accessible. My 2 cents.

Don't forget it takes about 6 quarts.

Ron
  • Does anyone know how the overflow reservoir works in regards
    to where is the relief valve/discharge point. It seems to
    run to a tube behind the engine. Does this tube discharge
    when the system overheats or just feed back to a different
    part of the system?
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    There's not valve, the tank is just an expansion tank for when the coolant heats up it has somewhere to go to.

BTW, the tank is supposed to be half full always. It's got markings on the appropriate levels.

And do not mix coolant types: if it has orange coolant, do not add green coolant.

HTH
  • Manual says replacing plugs at 100K recommended. I have 55K on my GL 3.5. Runs great but would like an opinion(S) as to whether new plugs would be beneficial for mileage etc. Mechanic working on BMW's and other foreign high end auto says he would recommend installation.
  • They are double platinum and should last close to 100K. I
    changed mine at 95K and saw little effect on milage. Note,
    that I got a price from Goodyear for the changeout and it
    was 50% higher than the dealer.

Single platinum plugs last only 60K.
  • Replaced mine at 100,000 and the mileage and performance didn't change at all. Not that there was anything wrong with it in the first place. Just did it because the manual said to. My machanic said the plugs that came out looked pretty good considering they had all that wear on them. It's up to you weather you want to change them but if you do, make sure you use oem plugs if you want it to run it's best. I've heard horror stories from guys switching brands. The plugs also cost me around $10.00 a piece and the whole tune up was around $225.00. Good luck.
  • donp9donp9 Posts: 29
    Replaced mine around 100Km's with Bosch double platinum and like bennycheck didn't notice much difference in performance or mileage. My only significant complaint about my 2000 GL has been the brake rotors. Original rotors were shot at 40Km's and the replacements were shot again after another 35Km's. It's not like I'm hard on the brakes however replaced them again with rotors from NAPA and so far so good. Stll really enjoy the car and hope to have it for some years to come.
  • Did you try the ceramic pads? I've got them all around and the rotors seem to last longer with them. They're also much quieter and the best part is no brake dust. Probably all I'll ever use from now on uless they come up with something better.
  • I asked this before, but got no reply.

The wipers on my 2000 GL will sometimes stop in the UP position when I have them in the low setting. If I turn them up to high, they move like normal.

Also, does anyone know a good way to keep the washer nozzles from freezing in the winter? I've had to pour hot water on them to thaw them out. It works, but is probably shocking the cold plastic.
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    Also, does anyone know a good way to keep the washer nozzles from freezing in the winter? I've had to pour hot water on them to thaw them out. It works, but is probably shocking the cold plastic.

When purchasing washer fluid, make sure that it's a winter mixture. Many places, particularly oil-change shops, use the cheaper summer mixture in the summer and there may still be some of it in your Intrigue's reservoir.

HTH
    Definitley use the winter mix. Prestone sells a clear solution that you pour into the washer fluid for added protection. I use the winter washer fluid and put a half a bottle of the solution in as well. it splash mixes. You can buy it at Walmart or auto parts store.
  • I have the same problem, however, I cannot figure out the fix either. If you do,please let me know. thanks.
    George
  • ketchketch Posts: 217
    Just got the oil changed, and now cannot get the oil life monitor to reset (dash light stays on). I must admit some hassle with the process of having the key to ON, pushing the gas pedal and releasing slowly three times, all in 5 seconds. So far, I cannot get it to go off as in the past.
    Any tricks? Am I doing this correctly????
  • mick1mick1 Posts: 84
    pedal has to be FULLY pressed 3 times in 5seconds. I did it yesterday.
    Well now I have tried about a dozen or so times, all fully pressing to the floor, and releasing, slowly as they say. What am I doing wrong, or perhaps the reset is broken?
  • I must admit some hassle with the process of having the key to ON, pushing the gas pedal and releasing slowly three times, all in 5 seconds.

Not sure if i read this right or not but only the pedal pressing is needed in five seconds, not the key bit.

Some things to verify: problems I've seen.
    The key to ON not ACC.
    After key on, wait a several seconds for dash lights self test to settle down.
    When pressing down, be smooth, going to fast is just as bad as too slow.
    Don't forget to let pedal up after the third push.
    Wait several seconds for the change oil light to flash.

cheers
    Thanks moonshadow, I retried several times exactly per your good descriptions, but no joy. I will keep trying over the next weeks, but I am thinking it somehow is stuck.
    Anyone else here have this happen, and if so cost to fix (or why bother, as I typically go by the 3000 mile oil change interval anyways)?
    I replaced my PCV this weekend. Very easy. And at $2.50 for the part, I may change it more often.

When i pulled the old one out, the larger end was pretty snug in the hole. When i put the new one in, it waas not as snug and could be pulled out with little effort. Will the engine cover be enough to keep the valve in place? Does the engine sort of "suck" the valve in place? Changing the coolant next weekend.