Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Intrigue Transmission / Suspension Problems

Comments

• donp9donp9 Posts: 29
    What were the codes retrieved by the GM mechanic for this particular problem. Thanks

Had to replace the lower control arm vertical bushings on my 2000 Intrigue GL at 150,000 km's. GM parts guy was suprised they had only lasted that long as this was the first time he had ordered these parts for an Intrigue (Winnipeg dealer). Pain in the butt to replace as you have to remove the entire control arm. Took about an hour for both sides but overall not too bad.
  • di99di99 Posts: 18
    Thanks for the info Tracy.
    Service Engine Soon light does not go on.
    Guess that's a good thing!
    Di
    Back again - I had a mechanic put the 24oz bottle of Lucas transmission "helper" in a few days ago, but the tranny is still bucking. I thought it was going away, but when it warms up, it is really noticeable with every gear shift.
    So! I have a question. Has anyone else experienced the phenomenon of having the transmission go soon after having the transmission flushed, etc? Maybe it's just dumb luck/coincidence, and my other Olds lost the transmission at 95K, too.
    How will I know when it is imminent? Right now it isn't slipping, just clunking, and it is intermittent. Is there a diagnostic "code" for "your transmission is about to quit"? Seems as though I heard someone mention one (seriously).
    PS Should I add another bottle of Lucas?? I really can't afford for the tranny to go now.
    Any input is welcome :o)
    Di
  • bayview6bayview6 Posts: 141
    If you had your tranny power flushed, and then started having problems, I would change tranny fluid and filter, and add a red bottle of LubeGard tranny additive. LubeGard is the ticket.
    Thank you for the feedback. It sounds logical, and I will try just about anything to save this transmission!! Will be back here posting again if it works :)
    Thanks,
    Di
    I'm b-a-c-k...Well, haven't had time to change the transmission fluid and filter yet, and add the LubeGard, but, checked my receipt for the transmission work in Dec 05, and they did not power flush it as far as I can tell.
    Good news, the tranny is not shifting as hard since the Lucas was added; actually, seems to have gotten better gradually. Still does not like getting hot (hot weather/driving an hour or so, would start jerking into gears).
    Bad news, yesterday a new "thing" happened. Twice, when I was starting up after a stop light, felt like I was running over railroad tracks (this is what happened right before my '87 Olds Delta 88 lost it - the tranny, that is).
    Think the writing is on the wall, but just wanted to give an update.
    Wish I had answers to some of the other problems people are posting :confuse:
    Di
  • I have a '99 GL. I sufered brain fade the other day and ran over a parking space curb. It broke my sway bar. The shop where I buy tires quoted me $550 to replce it. He said it's hard to get at. I crawled under, and it looks like it may be. Does anyone have experience with changing one? Does the sub-frame have to be removed?

By the way, I have the flickering lights problem. It happens only when it's cold, 35 degrees or lower. And the steering shaft has been replaced on warrantee. That was good for about 60k miles, then the clunking happened again. The dealer said he squeezed some grease into the shaft. I have the impression a spray can may not get it done.
    Don't know about the sway bar, and thankfully, have not had many electrical problems or the flickering lights issue...oh wait, I do recall now having to have the driver door controls worked on because the windows would not open, but that was right after I bought my GL.
    Anyway, still think we might be able to use the aerosol lithium grease...others have, and I will post after I try it. You have to use the little red tube that comes on the can and slide down the rubber tubing that covers the shaft. Think positioning yourself under the steering column to do it is the trick. We shall see :)
  • Good luck. Hope it works. If so, I'll do it myself next time.
  • (Firstimer)I have a 2000 oldsmobile Intrigue (110,000 miles) Can anyone (you) tell me which wire to cut (color and possable location), because I have the same issue. It meets all the items I read in forum #896 check engine light comes on, 2 codes from scanner tool. I erase and after a while it comes back on.I also read I could flush the transmision fluid and that might fix the issue.
  • My husband manages an auto parts store and when he told the local GM dealer what was going on with my car, they told him what their GM Dealer manual said about cutting the wire for my 1999 Olds Intrigue. I don't know if this can be done for all years or just that one. The GM Dealer Manual for my year of car was what showed the color of wire and where it was located. It was one of the many wires that came out of the transmission I believe. I know that there was more than one wire of the color that we needed to cut, but only needed to cut one of them so it was kindof tricky in that respect. We don't have an actual GM Dealer Manual here at home otherwise I'd be glad to tell you if your year of car is in the same book, etc. Sorry I couldn't help more. :( But at least you know that the GM Dealer Manual is the place to find the information you need.

~Tracy
  • Thanks for you info ,I will call the dealer and see if they will give me that info.
  • I just replaced my sway bar just last week, it broke after hitting a deer. replacing the bar wasn't bad, finding it to purchase was a little tricky. A jack and a couple of jack stands to lift the cars front end is pretty much all you need, lift car high enough so bar doesn't hit the ground when removing & installing. 1/2" wrenches to get the bolts off & I forgot what size wrench it was to get the mounts off. I paid $105 for a new bar & I think the bolt with all the rubber grommets was about $15. I used the old mounts. All in all, it was pretty easy. Hope this helps
  • Thanks. A friend welded it for me. Mine was broken at the driver side link end. We were able to align and clamp it without removing it. The link bushing got a bit warm. He's a skilled welder, and did a nice neat job. Now, after about 2500 miles, it's still good. But you never know - your advice will come in handy if the weld breaks.
  • I have a 1998 Intrigue with over 150,000 miles on it. It has recently began to jump or stall or cut out or something at highway speeds. This started a few days ago, and then yesterday it did the same thing and the check engine light came on. I then pulled into a McDonalds and as I was making the turn at about 5 mph it seemed to shudder again. I immediately (drove it 2 miles), went to my shop to read the code. It showed up as PO742 torque converter circuit stuck on. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to fix this. I do not care about the fuel mileage as long as I can make it through this semester at school without spending a ton to fix it. I have not changed fluids or added any special lubricant. I am currently a mechanic but I work on very large diesel engines and a bunch of hydraulic equipment so I feel I can do it my self with a touch of guidance. I have read the other post and am wondering if I am a candidate for the wire clipping trick? Please tell me the tranny wont have to be opened.
    Thank You, Craig McBrain
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    Do a Google search on P0742 and you will find your answer.
  • google is the problem, I have searched and found like 50 different solutions for the same code. All are not on my specific vehicle and different so google is no help to me. I am sorry I was looking for more soecific info.
    Thanks
    The 1998 Grand Prix is very similar to your vehicle and is applicable. I believe the early Intrigues were based on the Grand Prix. Based the first result of my google search, I would say change the transmission fluid and try a bottle of LubeGuard that everyone recommends. if that does not work, then you'll have to go to a shop and have the proble further diagnosed. the web page I found had very detailed information on how to diagnose the problem.

Again, do a google search on "P0742".
  • tres_74tres_74 Posts: 16
    Check the Dealer Manual for your type and year of car. I have no idea if it will work for your car. You have to check there, since that's where we had been told to try the wire-clipping trick. If you have your own shop then maybe you can talk to your local GM Dealer's shop and just ask them about it, or if you can take a look at their dealer manual.

I haven't been able to find much on Google either, but then I'm not sure if I was searching for PO742 or P0742 (O vs. zero).

I still haven't noticed any change in my gas mileage either.

~Tracy
    Here's the link: http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl512b.htm

At the bottom of the question, the host has a link to Diagnosing the Torque Converter lockup. The 1998 Grand Prix GTP shares many of the same drivetrain components as the 1998 Intrigues.