Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz CLK (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Not to ignore madcloyd's situation, but so far I've seen very few 2002 C230 problems posted on this message board. So it's not to overreact because one person is having a lot of difficulties. Let's also not forget that anything that's manmade is subject to error..., and you'll find an occasional lemon in every make/model.

Btw, I deleted my last post because I realized my wording could have been more carefully selected. All I meant to say was that if people were to also post (copy/paste) their problems in our C230 Problems & Solutions discussion, it will be easier for other people to find. Let's not forget that issues discussed in this faster moving discussion will have a tendency to get lost in the crowd. Hope this clarifies things.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • mlsphdmlsphd Posts: 26
    Timjack-
    Just turned over 3800 miles and very satified with the car. We did have a problem with ABS warning message on the dash, which turned out to be a brake sensor. Took 2 trips to dealer, one for diagnosis and on 2 weeks later after they had ordered the part (2 weeks due to my schedule).

Intereswting that you got a good deal at Fairfield dealership. When I asked about discount, the salesman got indignant and condescending, and flatly denied the possibility. He called about 4 days later, and I told him I had 3 offers at invoice +3%. He then offered to deal, but I was not interested. Guess I might have softened them up a bit.

Enjoy the car!

RE: Madeline

Allow one bit of skeptical questioning. Has anyone else had the same experience of rudeness and disturbingt info (eg 42% in for repairs) from MBUSA? Has anyone had some experience which would validate Madelines experiences? Anyone know that there are indeed valid and verifiable complaints and not some journalistic distortion?
  • tommyp13tommyp13 Posts: 146
    Let's not all go overboard and use Mad's experience as typical. Over at the MBWorld forum, I haven't seen anything as bad has what has happened to her car, and that's a bunch that will complain about any small problem (especially galaxygrrl). That board also has more traffic, so don't draw too many conclusions from an isolated bad apple.
    Timjack, hang in there, at least until your car stalls out a couple of times :~)
  • paul_ppaul_p Posts: 271
    And spoke with them directly. I wanted to know how I would be treated if I had similar problems with my car.

I spoke with Denise who said maximum backlog to return calls (if that were necessary) would be five days, and that there are supervisors available to speak with customers. Of course it got a little scary when she found out I was calling to ensure their availability and helpfulness, however she assured me that they are indeed available for customers and will do everything they can to help. She did not sound like the kind of person who would hang up on someone. This call was made on Saturday 23 March at 11:50 AM EDT.

So I will continue to rely on 1-800-FOR-MERCEDES if I have any more problems. Denise has assured me if anyone has problems with their MB car, the center will assist them. Ditto on the comments of other posters especially those regarding lemon law procedures, I believe your postings have been good background info for future reference - even for people whose present MB's have run & continue to run well.
  • mchiumchiu Posts: 2
    Hi ALl,

It there any option to play MP3?
    Can the CD Changer play CDR or CDRW disk?

Thanks.
  • My C230K has 7800+ miles and the only time it needed to be in the service department was to replace a R driving light rendered useless when a medium sized raccoon knocked it loose from its bracket (I paid $300+, raccoon paid with his life). I get 25mpg with spirited driving on twisty rural two lanes, 30+mpg when crusing at 70mph avg.

My only complaint is that a set of golf clubs will not fit in the trunk with the rear seats up. The car does everthing I want of it, it does it with efficiency, and it does it with no problems. To have a little fun with it, turn the esp off: it'll lay nice twin streaks of rubber down said twisty rural roads, and cruise them at 65 to 80 mph without hysterics.

Mad's problems are NOT typical of my findings. I am WELL pleased with my Benz.
  • jjpeterjjpeter Posts: 230
    Have not heard from Madeline now that her claims were questioned. I wonder if it was above board or some sort of tactic to scare off the undecided to lean away from the C230. Our Kompressor has been flawless thus far, zero complaints!
  • huntzingerhuntzinger Posts: 350
    I know that there's a small red light over on or near the radio, but I can't even recall if it blinks while the car's turned on. I think its alarm system.

Which part of the dash is blinking?

-hh
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    I know my mom's Audi A4 will blink a yellow warning at her from the info center in the gauge cluster after a certain length of time behind the wheel. It's to "warn" you to take a break and get out and stretch so you don't get too tired behind the wheel. A rather frivolous and retarded item if you ask me, but my mom thought it was cool her car told her to take a break, LOL. At least, she thought it was cool once she found out what it was. She called me on the side of the road asking me what the hell was wrong with her car and was about to freak out. Maybe Mercedes uses the same thing and this is what they are referring to? Was it on a long distance trip when it occured? My mom didn't see it until she drove it for 4 hours straight, which is the default timer setting.
    I know my mom's Audi A4 will blink a yellow warning at her from the info center in the gauge cluster after a certain length of time behind the wheel.

My wife's 2000 A4 does this as well.

My mom didn't see it until she drove it for 4 hours straight, which is the default timer setting.

I think my wife's first blink comes at 2 hours, and then every hour thereafter. Something like a ~10 minute break is what's required to reset it.

On the C230, I did a ~3.5 hours down + ~3.5 hours back jaunt a few weeks ago, and I don't recall seeing any sort of fatigue blinky warning thing.

-hh
  • dsackmandsackman Posts: 145
    Bryan Kemnitzer - www.kabolaw.com

Daniel
  • cokane5227cokane5227 Posts: 117
    to me, and what i think only.
    i don't believe any of the issues madeline have been telling. because just put the issues in basic logic, it's just not possible, maybe u can get a lemon, AND it started having problems on the FIRST day, AND u went bak to the dealership immdiately, i believe that the dealer would at least fix that problem for u because U JUST BOUGHT IT. maybe they won't fix anymore in the future, the on the first day, anybody would do a little favor. and secondly, u get a totally messed up car, and the dealer is telling u all kinds of crap, and MBUSA is hanging up on u? just look at the facts, has anybody ever encountered such problems? EVERYTHING goes wrong? EVERYTHING ?!?! and for her last post, it sounds like the dash blinked randomly, therefore it's probably not any kind of warning system, and i'm sure MBUSA is not STUPID enough to just agree with that. those people are smarter, they would give u trust-worthy reasons, although it's not true. if they lie, they would be good liars.
    AND, is there any proof of her story? for MBUSA, has anybody ever talked to the person she said? is there really such a person? and where is the dealer madeline bought the car from? has anybody ever been there? who is the service advisor? has anybody ever got any bullcrap from the same service advisor?
    and last, after reading all the messages for 20mins, her story just doesn't sound right, i don't have a reason for that, it's a simple feeling, it just doesn't sound right. after reading all the messages, i see a picture, a not-too-smart person sitting in front of the computer making up a story and feeling fun and good about it. it's a good story, but not perfect. AND IT JUST DOESN'T SOUND RIGHT TO ME.
    and once again, to ME, and what I think only.
  • You know, I called him and he took three weeks getting back to me, so I bagged him -- thought he was too flakey. Glad he worked out for you. I liked my attorney a lot, just wish he did not cost me $500.

Beth
    ...and MBUSA is hanging up on u? just look at the facts, has anybody ever encountered such problems?

I had a dealership problem before I bought (went to another dealer) and I called MBUSA to ask what they suggested I do, if they wanted to know who their "bad apple" was, etc.

MBUSA didn't hang up on me, but they made it quite clear that they didn't want to know about a problem dealership, to possibly look into it further. Talk about apathy.

I sent in my car survey this AM, and I repeated my complaint in writing (about dealership #1, not #2). Shall we start to count the days until MBUSA tries to contact me for more information? I'm not holding my breath.

Unfortunately, overall Customer Service isn't like it used to be, so problems with MB may just be part of a larger trend. For example, I sent a "nastygram" off to Continental Airlines last night because their Frequent Flier email service blew me off: I asked for a rule interpretation and instead of answering the question, they said that they couldn't book a flight via email! Seems like people can't be bothered, or can't read plain english.

-hh
  • jjpeterjjpeter Posts: 230
    Interestingly, I got a pricey package from MBUSA yesterday in the mail. We bought last October, and this was a thank you letter congratulating us on our purchase. Well, Ok, would have had a little more impact in say, November or December... Inside were two thick paged brochures, one marketing piece that said basically nothing, not even the mention of the new E-class. In fact it looked pre-C230 coupe, the model was not even shown in the full lineup of MB vehicles. So I know the hold up was not waiting for the latest stuff off the presses...

The other brochure was allllll the MB gizmos one can buy if you are really into flaunting your purchase with hats, shirts, jewelry and paper weights with the MB logo emblazed on them. All I can say is, if you are going to send this stuff off, which cannot be cheap to do, at least make it timely. I'm sure in Europe, where the awareness of "time to market" is much more acute, they would not have been this unaware and just stuffed an mailer with - what was available-.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,577
    They have a Green C230K with a 6 speed, C7 Wheels, & panorama roof at the auto show. The light green isn't that bad, I actually kinda liked it (That said I would never get it). I still really like the interior. Again, this isn't a driving impression, just from sitting in the car for a muinue or 2, the stick felt really flimsy & vague. I'll have to drive one to really get the feel of it.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    I missed the fun, but that coffee comment sure seems low...
    ...this isn't a driving impression, just from sitting in the car for a muinue or 2, the stick felt really flimsy & vague...

Nice to see that MB actually let people sit in the car this year. Last year's color was the "Paprica", and it was on a rotating stand with a good 6ft gap to the handrails all the way around.

Overall, I've found the shifter's gating to be pretty good. Mine is a bit tight when downshifting into 2nd; figure I'll let it wear in a bit more before scheduling an appointment for an adjustment - - nothing else wrong so far, so no real reason to worry about it for just one thing.

-hh
  • dsackmandsackman Posts: 145
    Rebekah,

I believe it would be fair to remove all "madcloyd"'s message as they are obvious fabrications. These fabrications give a slanted and untrue perspective on a reputable company and a fine motor vehicle.

Thank you,

Daniel
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Would it be too simple to assume that Madeline was playing an "April Fools" joke on us?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    The hatch getting ripped off the car?? I do say!!! What heresy in a Yugo, let alone a Mercedes. Someone has issues with their imagination....
  • tommyp13tommyp13 Posts: 146
    Can we just eliminate the bs and just erase all of its posts? I feel dumb enough, having responded to its posts in the beginning; having the dumb posts stay around is just annoying. I feel like one of the guys who was searching for the Loch Ness monster - just delete them already.

HH - and now, for something completely different... did you end up joining the MBCA? If so, are you going to the tech event at Globe on Saturday? I'm going - should be interesting to see if we get real answers or fluff out of the MB techs.
  • bkswardbksward Posts: 93
    Ok, I was reading the Edmunds review on the C230, and I know a few people have mentioned how much you can add in options to a C230. But I just don't understand how the reviewer got to $17k in options.

The most loaded up I could get the car on price this car with options was around $12.5k in options. If you took the entire list of options and tried to get both the CD changer w/Telephone and the CD changer w/telephone w/voice activation, and then also got both the leather and sunroof by themselves and a second sunroof and more leather as part of the premium package. Then I could see it...

Are there other options that aren't listed, or did the reviewer just get slightly lazy?

As for the car, I like it but I don't know if I want to swing the extra money above my other options. I can buy it, or I can buy a GTI 1.8T w/leather and pay off the rest of my student loans for the same money.

-Brian
    The most loaded up I could get the car on price this car with options was around $12.5k in options.

I've gotten higher. There are a few hidden costs. For example, there's a $1150 extra surcharge if you order a nonstandard interior/exterior colors combination, and this is in addition to whatever optional costs for metallic paint and leather interior.

If you go to MB's website and their Build-your-own page, you can see the numbers. Playing around, I was able to get up to a MSRP of $40,479.20 by choosing all of the expensive colors/options on Step 1 & 2 (including taking the value package instead of the individuals), plus on Step 3, just the 6CD changer, although this might be double-dipping with the telephone package (should be doublechecked).

So if I would have added the $399 Illuminated Front Door Sill Panels, I still would have been above $15K in options. I would easily believe that with the additional costs for cargo mats, roof racks and the like that another $1K could be added, if you really wanted to, so I don't think that a claim of $17K is completely out of sight.

-hh

PS: HH - and now, for something completely different... did you end up joining the MBCA? If so, are you going to the tech event at Globe on Saturday? I'm going - should be interesting to see if we get real answers or fluff out of the MB techs.

No, I haven't gotten around to that yet. We'll have to talk some more.
    When I was in Maryland a few months ago, I saw a C230 K loaded up with a bunch of options including Capri Blue Paint, Oyster Leather, Panorama Sunroof, COMMAND System, TouchShift, C7 Wheels...and a few other options. The sticker was close to $37K. I asked the dealer about it and he said it was a special order that was cancelled. Most of the other cars on the lot had TouchShift, Panorama Roof and maybe power seats and their stickers were under $30K. I continue to be impressed by tha fact that most MB dealers have a selection of C230Ks the have an MSRP of under $30K. Though I rarely see a 6 speed on the lot though:(

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I just thought that y'all might like to know that your Troll of Late has moved on, he/she is now Trolling over on the "BMW 330i vs. Audi A4 3.0", claiming to own a 330i with problems.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • I got my new C230 about a couple of weeks ago and I love it! It's a great car to drive and my friends are raving about it (got to love that jealousy factor!) I got most of the options on my car, including the sport tires.
    A week ago a car gang came through my neighbourhood. They jacked up my neighbour's SLK 320 and took the tires right off of it without setting off the alarm. They had started on my car, they had most of the lugnuts out of the tires, when something must have spooked them. All in all, we heard that 3 other Mercedes in our area all had the tires stolen off of them.
    The moral of the story: your C-Coupe does not come with Wheel locks standard, so you better get some! You may think I'm a bonehead for not knowing this ahead of time, but you can bet I've learned my lesson!
  • jacktimjacktim Posts: 2
    I ordered my C-230K in September and took delivery last week after 6 1/2 months. I was told lack of leather for this model was the problem. I also got C-4,C-5, brilliant silver and navigation. The car is flawless.
    I just hope I can put off backing into something for a while as I'm having trouble adjusting to the wavy plastic insert. I want to tint the windows and install XM satellite. Does a hole have to be cut through the ashtray bottom to install it there?
    If anyone tinted the windows, did you do the back and what color and percent did you use?
    Nice car! Glad they didn't get your wheels. I hate to break it to you, but even if you did have wheel locks, they could've taken the wheels off the car. The only way to prevent wheel theft is to buy 4 of the boots the police use to boot your car when you've got too many parking tickets! LOL! It isn't funny, but considering the circumstances, but there is some humor in walking outside and seeing your car on blocks with no wheels on it and the rest of the car perfectly intact.

This discussion has been closed.