Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz CLK (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• valonvalon Posts: 22
    Well people ... i agreed for the one with the heated seats, before i even told him that he offered me 200$ discount on the seats so it did work just fine,car is in baltimore dock so i should get the car next wed or fri, cause thur the guy is off. I will update when i drive out of dillership if is Friday don't expect me back in bord till Sunday night i will be testing the car
  • I wanted Bose, but would have had to order a car to get it. Decided not wait -- easier to deal with a dealer who has a car you are buying. We signed papers at 2p.m. and I drove off in a new car at 6p.m.
    Frankly, I was born and grew up in Europe. Even though I have been here for a while, I dont drink or eat in a car unless I am on a very long trip, so cupholders are of no concern to me or my wife for that matter (lucky me because I agree they are flimsy). What VW do you drive now? I've driven Passat my father owns a lot and the lag in MB is no more (or probably somewhat less) than the minimal lag VW 1.8T engine has. Don't expect to get really going in the first gear... fun starts in the second :) Shocker today -- trip to the "filling station" cost me $26 (just have to get used to it!!!) Hope your car arrives soon.
  • I've got a 2001 VW Jetta GLX VR6. Love the car, but tired of seeing 15 of them on my way to the local grocery store. I have also always loved the new C Class body style. I never could afford the C320 and always thought the C240 was too sluggish. I also MUST have a manual tranny and was so excited to see MB put them in all of the C Class cars (except the C32). I like the Sport Coupe, but my wife and I are expecting our first child in about six weeks. . .gotta have four doors.

I'm glad to hear that you are not experiencing any lag in your new coupe. My VR6, of course, has zero lag since it is a naturally aspirated engine. But, I loved the smoothness of the new 1.8L engine from MB and loved the fact that they put it in the sedan with some awesome body molding and killer 17inch wheels.

In reference to the filling station prices, I've been one of those crazy 93 octane people in all of my vehicles, so this should not be a change for me.

Keep us updated on you driving impressions!
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Hi Folks - Anyone care to share some details about their C230 or C320? Perhaps we can get this discussion rolling again. If you'd like you can list your:

1. Model Year & Total miles to date.

2. MPG & Driving habits. Any differences in mpg since you first purchase?

3. Any additional accessories & mods?

4. Maintenance issues to date.

5. Any interesting trips or cargo experiences?

6. Overall impressions pro/cons of your vehicle since you first purchased....

Share as much (or as little) information as you'd like. I'm sure other owners/shoppers passing through here, would find the information quite interesting, if not helpful.

Also, you can report back every 3-5k to update again.... Thanks for your participation! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • babybenzbabybenz Posts: 2
    just got my first MB yesterday. I'm all smiles.

I got the 230k sedan, automatic, obsidian black, c2 package, and cd for $31,400. I think I did okay, since that's about $1,300 under msrp.

can't wait to let everyone know my thoughts as I put the first hundred or so miles on it.
  • babybenz,
    Congratulations on your new car. My C230 sport sedan is supposed (keeping my fingers crossed) to arrive today. Did you order yours, or buy it off the lot? If you ordered yours, I wonder if it came off the same boat. Where do you live? Are you on the east coast? I'm in Richmond, VA. My car is Alabaster White, C2, Bose, CD changer, heated seats with the 6 speed manual. MSRP was 31,985 and I paid 31,000. Soooo it looks like you did a little better than I did.

Congrats again and happy motoring!
  • babybenzbabybenz Posts: 2
    I got mine off the lot. I bought it on the 31st, so I think the dealer wanted to have another sale for his month end numbers. Sounds like you got a good deal also.

I live in Atlanta and bought it at RBM. After only a day of driving, I can say that you're going to love this car. Hope it arrives soon.
  • wc68wc68 Posts: 23
    Hope your car comes in today! My car will be in LA on the 7th, probably won't see it till the week of the 21st. Let me know how you like it when you get your car! Congrats!!!
  • I'm staring at my cell phone every second. . . .how's the saying go: a watched cell phone never rings. . . .pray with me. . .
  • I picked up my car last night and "WOW!!!"! It is absolutely everything and more than I remember from my test drives. First of all, my C230K looked awesome in white. The wheels/tire combo is just flat out a head turner. The six speed is smooth and the Bose sounds great. I was amazed at just how quiet the cabin is and how well it cornered. I'm kinda going through sensory overload right now. Everything is truly perfect on this car. I know that the E & S Classes are absolutely amazing, but for the money, this is a tough deal to pass up. I have only put 55 miles on the car so far, so as I continue driving, I will give you updates.

I do have one question, my dealer explained to me last night the MBs don't require any break in period, is this correct? I usually baby a car for the first 1200 miles and then start driving, he said that is not necessary, is he right?

Thanks!
    One Stoked First Time Benz Owner
    Congrats again! I would take it easy on the car for the first 1000 miles just to be safe. I wonder where my car is! How much was your out the door price? What where the added charges, adverstising, prep fee, etc???
  • dverespeydverespey Posts: 56
    Ok, it's time to replace my old beater and at first I was of the idea of going with one of the usual suspects as far as a sedan.

But, I've always liked the look of the Mercedes and heck the price difference isn't that great.

Anyway, I'm looking to find a good dealer in the SF Bay Area who's interested in letting me explorer the model without being upset that I'm not buying today. Anyone have a recomendation?
  • The out the door cost was $31,000 plus taxes, tag, title and processing fee ($149) totalling $32,259. The only extra fee was the processing fee, no dealer prep or anything else.

I just got back from lunch and I am finding any excuse to go out driving. The car was worth EVERY PENNY! Let me know when you get your car. Can't wait to hear your first impression. What date do you expect to have it?
    Dealer has not given me a date but approx by the end of this month. I wonder why I was not able to track my car over the web? What area do you live in? I am in Seattle! Can you refresh my mind on what options you got? Enjoy your car, it was a long wait! Let me know any problems you encounter, hopefully none! Thanks! Willy
  • I got my C230 with the following:
    Alabaster White/Charcoal Interior
    Bose Sound System
    CD Changer
    Heated Front Seats
    C2 Package
    I live in on the southside of Richmond VA. The car arrived in Baltimore, which is only about 2 1/2 hours from me. I think that is the reason I was able to get it only 5 days after it hit the port. Since your car is traveling cross country (assuming they always hit a port on the east coast), I would guess that is why it is taking a little longer. Keep me posted! I hope to not report any problems. . .but, we'll see. . .stay tuned.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    There used to be at least two ports of entry on every body of water bordering the US, but lately they've cut back. At minimum, there are now VPCs [Vehicle Prep Centers] in Belcamp MD [served by Baltimore], Jacksonville FL, and Carson CA [served by port of Long Beach]. Cars for the Pacific Northwest used to be landed directly in Seattle, but they may now be going through Carson and trucked north. They used to bring cars in through Houston, as well, but JAX may be serving the mid-South now. In any case, West Coast cars travel no further than the distance from LA to their final destination. Certainly, no cars are trucked or trained across country except perhaps the output of the Alabama plant - and even there, they may be sending cars to JAX to board ships for the West Coast.
  • bubba3007bubba3007 Posts: 38
    Isn't it great, after the long wait, to feel that the wait was worth it! Congratulations!!!

I have had my C240 since Feb 2001 and still get that certain feeling every time I get behind the wheel. And this after almost 40K miles!

You asked about break-in. My advice is to stop, right now, and take the time to READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL. It can be a chore, meanings can be confusing after translation and the stuff mandated by the lawyers can sometimes seem silly, but you will learn much more than any salesman can tell you. Just take the book, set down in the drivers seat, and read and try each step as you read about it. This may take several sessions but if you do it, when you finish you'll know more about your car than you thought possible and you will have discovered a few surprises. Enjoy!!!

Bubba
    "---My friends all drive Porches, I must make AMENDS---" J. Joplin
  • mac320mac320 Posts: 147
    Maybe the salesperson said no break-in was required because MB's silica impregnated aluminum cylinder sleeves have such a hard surface. He may think all of the old ideas about break in are out of date.

The information about our '00 ML430's break-in was pretty well hidden in the "Driving" section of the manual--without a single reference to in in the table of contents or the index.

The manual says, "The more cautiously you treat your vehicle during the break-in period, the more satisfied you will be with its performance later on."

The manual goes on to recommend "moderate" engines speeds, the 1st 1,000 miles, no heavy loads, no excessive engine speeds and no manually shifting down.

It is interesting to note that for the period following the 1,000 mile mark, the manual simply says speeds may be gradually increased to the permissible maximum. So, that leaves it up to the buyer about how nice, and for how long, he or she wants to be to the engine. I think careful is best.

If you're really careful, you'd probably drive no more than 50-100 miles at a time before letting the engine cool.

I just stayed under 55 for the first 1,000 miles, no long trips, and took slower off-freeway routes for more than half of the break-in period. The 430 burned no oil at all during the last FSS interval which came up at about 64K. And before I took the car in, the oil still seemed perfectly clean and was right on the mark since the last FSS service.

I was really interested to follow a careful break-in for the '02 C320 because the car doesn't even come equipped with a dip stick (just the electronic version)! I don't know if this applies to MB's C230, but MB obviously is totally behind FSS and synthetic. Even so, it has been fun to marvel at the clean look and feel of the oil between my fingers after 12-13K miles in the 430--with the new synthetics, the oil doesn't even change color.

One thing I like, MB provides a lot of oil capacity for their engines: 8 quarts for the 320. The Electronic dip stick measures to one-half a quart, which is fine. I'd be surprised to see the C320 burn any oil between oil changes based on the above break-in and our 430 experiences.
  • Thank you both for your advice. Bubba, I did read most of the owners manual this weekend, excluding the "how to buckle your seat belt" and "how to start your car" sections.:) And like mac320 stated, the info on the break in period is very hidden within the book. But, I did find it and it does ask you to keep it slow and steady for the first 1000 miles. After sharing with my dealer what I read in the manual, he explained to me that according to his service department (and also that he would not give out that kind of advice unless he had a lot of backing) with the use of synthetic oil nowadays, the need for the break in period is a little passe. Either way, I going to take it easy until I hit that 1k mark and then it's time to have some fun.

It was good to hear how your 430 has been doing; I'm sure if you treat these cars right, the reward should be a long relatively trouble free ownership. . .at least up to 150k.

Thanks again and I'm still smilin'; THIS CAR ROCKS!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,663
    I'm glad you're enjoying your C230 so much. It must be worlds better than your former Jetta (depending on if you got a Dr. Jeckyl or Mr. Hyde Jetta that is).

As far as a break in period goes, it may not be necessary, but it can't hurt. If you leased the car, then I'd say nail it out of the dealer's lot, but if you bought it, then the first 1000 miles will be worth it. The speed break in of "don't go over 55" I don't think applies anymore, but you should vary your speed (no cruise control) and engine speed. Also no harsh acceleration or hard breaking will help the car break in nicely.