Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz CLK (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• Thanks for the advice. I am definitely keeping it slow for the first 1000 miles due to the responses here and my past knowledge as well. I agree with you on the over 55 thing (cause I have definitely been over 55 already!:) and that I should not use the cruise control or go on any long trips until after the break in period. As you can probably tell, I did purchase the car, I'm not a big fan of leases. I'm all about putting a chunk of change down and letting these nice low interest rates take care of the rest.

My Jetta was pretty good to me except for the $#@% check engine light (it came on about 10 times during the 40K that I drove it). After the first couple, I stopped taking it in and it would go out after a few days. The stupid gas cap could cause that thing to go off. I would have preferred they just pull that light out of my dash. Other than that, the car was trouble free. . .but NO comparison to the C230K. . .not even in the same ballpark.
    Thanks again!
  • Yes, I am finally over 1000 miles mark (and am officially over with my break-in period)! I also found deep down in the manual about being careful during the first 1000 miles. I recall my dealer mentioned something about that at delivery, but I was so excited, that I ignored :)So congrats to jettaglxvr6! For me, the car has been awesome to drive overall. Can't really complain of anything. Even my non-Bose stereo seems now fine to the ear. Gas mileage varies a bit. Definitely seems that the engine likes warmer weather. When it's 30s here, my routine trip to my parents' house (about 30 highway miles) produces 27 miles a gallon at the best. When it was 60 degrees outside, I got 31mpg for the trip. I specifically drove pretty steady between 65-70mph in each case. I don't know if that is related to the supercharger. Just a curious observation, but can anyone comment on it? Otherwise, I am enjoying myself and am in awe every time I get into the car. Soon I'll be looking for a replacement car for my wife. Due to weather and job requirements, AWD seems a must and we are not into SUVs. May be we'll revisit MB dealer to look at those AWD C class cars... :) Best regards, everyone
  • valonvalon Posts: 22
    im glad that you got the car and enjoying hope that everything go as the way you want, about the break-in the diler advised me not to run to hard on the car until 1000 mark (im 658)as of today that 2 weeks drive around north jersey and nyc car is great and really cant wait for better weather so i can test my driving skills. With the car so far everything is smooth and car is running good.
    I want to ask all owners of new c230 anyone has any funny noises in the car that we discuss earlier last month cause my c230 runs so smooth that cant make it if is on or no when im stopped on light,on other thing i want to add that with the new c230 sport sedan bmw325 got a real competitor.
    i like to know what everyone thinks about this.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,128
    Ok, since I'm a fan of both MB and BMW (and without starting a 325i vs. C230K argument/discussion), am not in the market for a car, and would consider both of these models, I'm posting some objective comparisons. All of the numbers I post come from the respective manufacturers' websites (bmwusa.com & mbusa.com).

Mercedes Benz C230K Sport Sedan
    BMW 325i

Engine
    1.8L DOHC 16V S/C I-4
    2.5L DOHC 24V I-6

Horsepower & Torque
    189 hp @ 5800 RPM 192 lb/ft @ 3500-4000 RPM
    184 hp @ 6000 RPM 175 lb/ft @ 3500 RPM

Curb Weight
    3,185 lbs
    3,219 lbs

Power:Weight Ratio
    16.85:1
    17.49:1

Drag Coefficient

EPA Observed Fuel Economy (City/Highway)
    21/30
    20/29

0-60 mph
    7.6 seconds
    7.1 seconds

Colors, Options, & MSRP (That I'd order, your preferance may vary)

MB: Black, Charcoal Leather Inserts, 6 Speed Manual Transmission, C2, C3, Heated Front Seats, CD Changer $31,810

BMW: Black, Black Leatherette, 5 Speed Manual Transmission Sport Package, Power Moon Roof, Split Folding Rear Seats, Heated Front Seats, On Board Computer $32,220

We all know that numbers don't tell the whole story (otherwise everyone would have an Acura TL-Type S w/ Navigation J/K). Here's the objective part that I promised:

Exterior Styling definitely has to go to the C230K. The lines are sleek and sexy while the 17" wheels...ect make the car look muscular. That said, there is something to be said about the mean looks of the 325i w/ Sport Package.

I don't like to see my car around every corner (proof is in the pudding that I drive a Honda Prelude Type SH). 3 series are ubiquitous here in NYC and it's surrounding areas. The C (especially the Sport Sedan) seems to be a rare sight.

Price: As you can see, MBs are finally competitively priced (I'm glad they got rid of the Sport Package as a $3K option). I'm sure if money was the deal breaker that you'd have an easier time (more off MSRP) getting a C off the dealer's hands than a 3.

Transmission: I know the MB has a 6 speed and the BMW has a 5 spd, but I've driven old versions (2 years ago). The SLK320 6 speed I drove wasn't pretty. BMWs Getrag 5 speed manual was a delight.

Performance: Everday driving should be a toss up and I really can't comment other than the fact that the numbers are relatively similar. I'd like to hear from someone who's driven both cars back to back.

So the long answer is yes, the 325i has some real competition. Now if only lexus would offer a folding rear seat on the IS300, then there would be some more real competition.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• chem2k2chem2k2 Posts: 4
    I test drove the 230k sedan with the 6-speed last weekend. I love the car, but was surprised to find that there is no hand brake. I live in the SF bay area and launching without the aide of the hand brake on steep hills has me a little nervous. Does anyone else have this concern about roll-back? Thanks.
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    The automatic is a better choice if you drive in that area regularly. However, I have driven a stick in that area without using a handbrake, nor rolling back for than a couple inches, if that. It takes practice, maybe more practice than it's worth if you have to do it every day..
  • goinstaggoinstag Posts: 20
    Chem2k2,

I've got a manual transmission and live in SF and have no troubles with rollback. My shifting skills got better quickly after I moved here (it had been a while since I'd driven a manual), but I really like a manual for climibing hills and controlling descent. I can't remember the last time I used the handbrake except when parking.
  • huntzingerhuntzinger Posts: 350
    Well, my '02 C230K now has 11K trouble-free miles on it, and it had its first service for an oil change ~6 weeks ago. Very soon afterwords, I noticed that my highway MPG seems to have improved by 2-3mpg.

I hesitate to think that the improvement is because I'm staying out of the throttle. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed an improvement after the factory cutting oil was replaced with normal stuff...

-hh
  • mac320mac320 Posts: 147
    Not unless something changed recently. New MBs have come with factory-approved synthetic oil since at least 2000--the same oil that is used for all FSS interval changes. I think MB engines take a long time to break in--more like tens of thousands of miles. Maybe they pumped up your tires--that can make a big difference.
  • jmalik1jmalik1 Posts: 21
    Hi everyone - I am new to this forum. I'm researching C230 related information for my upcoming C230 purchase. This coupe is going to be the 2nd car in our family (the first one being a Lexus RX300). We tried Jetta, Jetta TDI, Saab 9-3, Cadillac CTS, Lexus IS 300, Infiniti G35, Acura TL and even a Chrysler Town & Country. We ruled out the CTS and Town & Country immediately. Our decision came down to the price/value of each vehicle and we've got a price for the C230 coupe that sounds really good to me. Its 25K for a 2003 C230 K, Capri Blue, C5 package (oyster leather), with the CD changer. Its $5750 below the sticker price. And has been the deciding factor for us. What do you guys think. Is this a pretty good deal?

We'll probably pick up the car this coming Saturday. Any thing that we should pay attention to before we drive it off the lot. What are some of the commonly experienced new car problems that have been reported.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,367
    I guess I'm left to wonder how much better it could get..? Yeah, that's a good price. As to whether it's the car for you, among those extremely different choices, only you know that. It's certainly an excellent value in this class, but only if you plan to hold on to it for awhile - short-term resale on the Coupes is very poor.

Do not sign anything or turn over any money without a complete [at least 10-20 miles] acceptance drive of the actual car you will be buying. Make sure everything works, and pay special attention in the Coupe for interior noises. Check the tire pressures before leaving the dealer for the test drive - make sure they are set to the factory recommended levels, and not elevated for storage and shipping [this is all too common]. Make sure the car is vibration-free at speed, and that it tracks true and straight [no wandering or pulling] - wheel alignment has been an issue, though this is something easily remedied by a competent dealer.

Aside from alignment and interior noises, most of the rest of the long possible list of worries are things that aren't necessarily going to show up on a short drive - electrical anomalies and the occasional oil leak on the new 1.8 engine. But you can do yourself a favor by testing all of the common electrical components [seats, stereo, CD] just to make sure there is nothing really obvious.

• revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    and glad to see you're already getting some good feedback here.

You may also want to check out some of the Buying Articles from our Tips & Advice section. In particular check out "10 Steps to Buying a new Car."

Good luck, and please keep up posted on your purchase. Happy shopping! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • jmalik1jmalik1 Posts: 21
    Thanks jrct9454 for your response. I did go ahead and purchase a 2003 Capri Blue C5 pkg (Oyster leather) with auto transmission and CD changer for $25K even. I drove it back from Houston to Fort Worth and have been driving it since. At 600 miles I haven't observed any rattles or noises or any other issues (hope it stays that way). I think I got a very good deal and am really hapy about that. Will post updates periodically. Thanks.
    and thanks for sharing the details! We look forward to your future updates. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
  • mbrubembrube Posts: 1
    I just picked up my C230K yesterday and I love it already. Orion Blue, Oyster Leather, 6 disc, C2...everything I wanted and my dealer came down to $26K even! My first Mercedes and I'm already impressed with the service, quality and value!

My question is this...is it necessary to put premium fuel in the car? I've heard different stories and want to know the truth.
    ...is that this car, like all gasoline MBs, requires premium fuel. Period.

It will run on regular, but with retarded timing and a real risk for long-term damage, especially with the supercharged engine. MB strongly cautions you against doing this except in cases where premium is temporarily unavailable. They mean it.

91 Octane is part of the price of admission to this kind of car.
  • berrillberrill Posts: 3
    Hi I purchased a new C Class coupe in 2002, it’s the new spec 1.8 litre compressor motor, evolution spec.

I purchased the car from new; it now has 8,000 miles on the clock. Due to my frustration I have given the car back to the dealer and they are giving me a new 2003 model, unfortunately I have to pay in an additional $ 4,000.00.

It seems as if most of you are extremely happy with your cars, so this gives me faith that my new one will give me years of trouble free motoring, I would love to hear your comments on the problems I have had.

Here they are, remember this is a new car.

EPS failed
    ABS failed
    BAS Failed
    The boot has to be slammed to get it to close
    Starter motor replaced
    Ventilation control knob ceased
    Sunroof wind deflector jammed.
    Ineffective air conditioner
    Doors unlock whilst driving
    Occasionally when pulling off the engine idles roughly, as if it’s operating on one cylinder, pressing the accelerator has no effect, the engine works fine after turning it off and on again
    Seatbelt sensors failed to detect the passenger was not wearing their belt.

The worst problem must be the constant rattles that emulate from the sunroof and the hatch back where the drawstrings attach to (Please e mail me if you have managed to solve these problems)

Fortunately after reading your comments it seems as if there are many happy customers out there hopefully my second Coupe will be better please feel free to e mail me on Berrill@iafrica.com with your comments
    ...among your long list of problems [most of which are well known, just not all happening to the same car at the same time] they have addressed the myriad complaints from Coupe owners about the pano roof and redesigned it for the '03 cars. In theory, a dealer can rebuild the roof on an earlier car from parts that are now available to solve the problem [s]; there are stories on MBWorld.org that suggest that some indeed have gotten their noises and malfunctions with the roof successfully fixed.

I considered a Coupe before buying our C240 sedan - but I was adamant that I wanted a car without the roof option, because my one test drive in a pano-equipped Coupe indeed suggested that this was going to be a source of problems.

The electrical stuff is just the usual litany of things that can go wrong with these cars - though not all in the same vehicle, usually. All of the German car makers are in love with electronic gadgetry - and none of them have shown the Japanese skill for picking reliable suppliers for this stuff. It isn't just MB - Audi, Porsche, VW, and BMW all have variations on the same theme.
  • My wife owns a 2003 C230K coupe and has experienced the "squeak" problem. The car was an early build 2003 (October 25, 2002) so it still had the original (2002) design roof that had its problems. The Mercedes Benz dealer was able to rebuild the roof to resolve the "squeak" problem. However, after 2 months the "squeak" reappeared and the car went back to the dealer. The dealer indicated that it was out of adjustment, adjusted it, and so far, the roof has been quiet. Like so many things, it is a brand new design that problems do not appear until they get it out there. One thing about Mercedes is that if they have a problem, they seem to always get it fixed. Sometimes though you just need to be patient and keep working with them.

I know that if my squeak reappears again, they will address the problem and if they can't rebuild the one in the car they will replace it with another new roof. That is one reason why I continue to buy Mercedes...you don't have to fight them to fix a problem, they just fix whatever needs to be addressed.
    To mbrube- Welcome to Town Hall, and congratulations! We look forward to hearing more about your C230K experience. ;-)

To berrill & others experiencing problems- For additional feedback, you should also post (copy/paste) your problems in our MB C230/C320 Problems & Solutions discussion. For future reference, look for this discussion in the Helpful Links on the left side of the page. Good luck.

Revka
    Host