Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz CLK (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382

Just a reminder that the MB chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/mercedeschat.html

• I'm going on my third week with my c-coupe and your assessment of the car is right on target. Also, I can't agree more with you about the BMW 318ti, they missed the mark. For those folks that are taking swipes at the c-coupe wake up this car is a mercedes through and through. The overall qaulity and fit and finish is amazing. I am very happy with my decision. My c-coupe lives up to its license plate: HB XLR8.
  • The car I ordered a few months back is due to arrive in Baltimore on 8/13. Working backwards towards its production start, would anyone think it was started early enough to have the free Tele Aid launch promo? Thanks.
  • tommyp13tommyp13 Posts: 146
    have you asked your salesperson? Since the discount is from corporate, and wouldn't come out of their end, they would have no reason to evade the truth. If the car's coming in in 4 days, shouldn't they be able to tell you exactly how it's configured?

When you've had some seat time, make sure to come back and post your first impressions. What'd you get on your car?
  • Magma Red
    Black Leather
    Premium Package and Heated Seats

Had I know back in April that I could order from the other C Class Packages like C7, I would have. I also struggled with the idea of the power seats but could not justify the $1250 cost. I just hope the manual seats have the same degree and range of adjustment and that I did not short change myself.
  • Got my silver, C2, auto last night with manual seats and I can find a comfortable position. It did not come on the first try, but after some experimentation got it just right. The only thing the power seats have over the manual is the memory setting. Just when you find the right place, either my wife will drive it or some slope head at the dealer will set the seat all the way back and then I'll have to find the right spot again.

Does any one know of a siingle play cd player that will fit, adapt to the C230? What about putting it under the radio in that cubby?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    You may have heard this already, but finding a physical slot for an in-dash player is not the challenge - remember that MB uses fiberoptics, not conventional cable, to control the sound system. This is what makes using aftermarket equipment less than easy...
  • crvolscrvols Posts: 23
    Having had my black with dark leather, auto and sunroof C230 for a week now, I took a 300 mile round trip in the middle of the week. I got 28 MPG running between 70 and 80 MPH. I also found the light around the power outlet is annoying at night when you have the drink holder open. Other than that, it continues to delight and amaze me.
  • I test drove one yesterday, it's real nice and could easily be priced $5k more.

Some of the early posts here have references to the CL type S. I own a type S, but the M-B 6 speed is definitely the more sporty of two cars. And it feels better made and more luxurious inside, even with cloth seats.

I don't like the little tach, and the visibility out the back will require some adjustment.

Availability is not for another 3 or 4 months, I will have plenty of time to decide on the color and options.
    I'm kind of on the fence on the price, actually. Since it's a Benz, I'm sure that they could charge $30 base and get away with it. But, if you just look at the parts and ignore the hood ornamentation, I think that it should retail for about $22 or so.
    So, I do think that there's a little premium to be paid, but not as much as I expected.

I looked at the tl a little when I was checking off the rxs-s from my list, and the dash is just too American car-looking to me, with a big separation between driver and passenger. Nice car, though, and I'm sure the Type S will be better when the manny is introduced.
  • Is this option worthwhile? Is the standard audio system all that bad? My CL has a bose, but I don't think it's all that great. Is it any better in this car?

Our dealership does not have one with a Bose option, so I don't have anything to compare.
    The most expensive part of a MB vehicle is the one that you hope you will never have to use...the one which will protect you in the event of an accident. The following was written by a MB shop foreman, who has been with the company for over two decades:

http://www.escribe.com/automotive/european/mbmc/m15466.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    I ordered one on my car. I did listen to them, back to back, and the Bose had bass where the stock system didn't. Of course, one of the few improvements that you can make to the stock system is to cut in to the speaker wiring and bring in a sub with its own amp, which should make a huge difference. So, it's up to you. I chose to spend the add'l money (dealer charged me $610 instead of $810; I'm sure that I can find something to do with that money), to make things easier for myself. It might be worth it to call the next dealer over, and see if they have one that you can see.
  • I have the Bose option on both my C230K sedan and ML and will opt for it on the new C coupe as well when ready to order. I am one that likes to crank up the tunes, classical, rock, techno, etc. I think this is where the Bose helps...I want to feel it. With the Bose you can do it at a decent level without distortion, the stock stereo strains. All the loaners I've had are stock stereos and my CDs just don't sound as rich.

If you are buying it may help resale as well.

Good luck
  • tommy and wedgebunny, thank you for your responses. I will probably include it in my list of options.
  • For 5 long weeks we searched. We must have hit every decent lot in town; BMW, Lexus, Ford, GMC, Cadillac, Buick(ha ha), Toyota, (not Honda - Honda sucks), and Land Rover!

Rolled into Mercedes lot and there SHE was! The new C-Class Sport Coupe 230 Kompressor!(demo car) It was love at first site!

On the test drive we saw a new Lexus 2002 SC 430 Convertible coming the other way. Guess what... the driver was staring down the C230 we were driving! Guess he had an extra $30k to waste.

The dealerships can't keep them on the lots. I know, I called every dealership within 200 miles. Fortunately one equipped like we wanted arrived at the local dealership unexpectedly. A Black Coupe w/Sunroof & AT. We bought it outright!

This car is awesome inside and out! NO complaints. ANYONE who cuts on these cars is just jealous or stupid.(maybe both ;)

This car grabs attention for half the price of similarly striking cars(eg Lexus mentioned)!
    We can't go to the Home Depot without hearing compliments! Oh, and you can actually put things in the back...

And the price! Our neighbors think it costs $40k.
    These are the ones who are honest not the crap shoveling ego artists.(you know who you are)

We're pretty practical. This is the ONLY car we found that could inspire us to spend anything near $30,000.

If you're going to do it - you might as well do it right the 1st time! :)

Just a reminder that the MB chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/mercedeschat.html

• c702000c702000 Posts: 39
    Just sold my Volvo C70 and ordered the C230, Red, sunroof, Bose stereo, six speed and 17"wheel package. Wanted to return to rear wheel drive and a manual transmisson. Have had enought of front wheel and automatic. Think for the money it's hard to beat, with it's standard options. Just need to find after market CD changer that will fit. Will not pay $1,000 for theirs (what a rip).
  • ligartligart Posts: 109
    "...either my wife will drive it or some slope head at the dealer will set the seat all the way back..."

Last I heard "slope head" was a slur to asians....
  • No racial slur intended, just get real po'd when I get my car back from the dealer/oil changer/etc and find the seat as far back as it will go and then I have to spend a couple of days trying to find that perfect spot it was in when I gave it to them. My point was that the memory function on power seats solves that problem.

Besides, I can learn to hate someone for a lot of reasons LONG before I have to resort to his or her ethnic origins.
    For only $1100, I'll come over after each maintenance at the dealer and adjust your seat back for you.

The thing that I think is really cool is the electric headrest adjustment, though I still think that it's a hell of a lot of money for the novelty of power seats.

Of course, I'm the only one who is going to be driving my car, so it's very easy for me to say that it's a silly option.
  • billyttbillytt Posts: 14
    While most would agree that how it sounds is most important, for those interested, I was able to obtain from Bose what the system components are for the 2002 C230:

1 - 3" dash-mounted center fill speaker
    2 - 6.5" wide-range speakers in the front parts of doors, coupled w/
    2 - 1.5" tweeters in the front mirror patches
    2 - 6.5" wide range speakers in the rear part of the doors
    1 - 4x6" woofer in a tuned, ported, bass enclosure, located in the right trunk side trim

These speakers are powered by a centralized digital amplifier located in the right rear side trim, with 6 channels of customized equalization and digital processing to enable AudioPilot TM noise compensation technology. The AudioPilot TM sensing microphone is located near the inside rear view mirror area.

Good driving...
  • c702000c702000 Posts: 39
    Thanks for the good info. anything on what CD changers can be used with this system.
    Thanks tom
  • All info I've heard/read is that it is a very difficult procedure to accomplish plus any attempt may void the warranty. The system uses fiber optics so its not a simple splice. I think I'll wait a few months/year to get a cd - I may be able to get a single play one that will not be so expensive. If you absolutely HAVE to have one check www.clairparts.com (this is a dealer in Mass. that sells on line) but you still have to get it installed.

If you have any luck post it here, there are a lot of us out here.
  • vmixervmixer Posts: 4
    I asked my dealer about this when I picked up my car. He said "wait a few months." Since this option is available abroad (notably in the UK), he seemed to think it may make its way to North America at some point. Of course, take all dealer claims with a grain of salt ;).

--Geoff
    MB In-dash CD players have been available in Europe for years now. They use a different radio (they have several choices actually) unlike us over here. Heck, you can even buy a MB without any speakers or radio in Europe. Oh well...

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • jarbarjarbar Posts: 7
    I bought a c230 coupe on Wednesday, I live 110 miles from the nearest dealer and on the way home with car, had to call ahead to husband to pull over so he could drive the coupe the rest of the way home. I absolutely could not sit in the seats. I adjusted them every way imaginable. I had to return the car the next day. made me sick. I could not justify keeping a 30,000.00 car that I could not sit in. how long does it take Recaro to make a seat for current models, and could one be installed without complications or voiding of MB warranty? Looking for any other suggestions. If I can find a solution, then I may take another stab at one in early 2002. love the car, HATE the seats. And yes, I did test drive the car for about 25 miles but I guess it wasn't long enough.
  • would you elaborate on what you didn't like about the seats? Height? Support? Too hard? Too soft? would help if you provided your height, weight, inseam dimensions.

Were your seats leather or cloth? Manual or powered? What kind of car do you drive now, and are you comfortable in that?
  • quickbquickb Posts: 3
    I ordered my C230 about 3 weeks ago, and I don't want to see another one in Chicago until I get it. Black on Black (not leather, unfortunately). I also got the Bose. Mine comes in Sept. 3rd. Thanks for all the information on the postings!
  • bperbper Posts: 2
    Just bought my Silver C230 last week. Great car but seats are firm (so says my wife). She does not like them for long hauls. I might have to get a pad or something for her. I have no problem with the manual adjustments. I have leather seats and they fit well.

Regarding the audio components I think I made a mistake. I wanted the car now and this was the only one available with leather seats but it has the standard audio system. At first I thought it would be O.K. but the more I drive it the more I realize that the additional $$ for the Bose system is probably money well spent. The sound is acceptable but it is very thin with very little low end audible. I have just begun to check with after market audio stores to see if there is an acceptable fix. Any suggestions would be welcome.
This discussion has been closed.