Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo C70 Convertible Top Problems

lemennlemenn Posts: 89
Roof down I noticed these plastic cover with 2 "bumps"/abnormalities.

Roof up I don't see them because it seems to be the locations of the left back "pillar".

Roof down it looks there were some stress on this plastic cover.

stress on left plastic cover

Comments

• lemennlemenn Posts: 89
    I try to find out where to look at regarding the potential stains on cover.

Can someone post a picture?

Here are some but I doubt that any of these rubber protections are creating the potential problem.

Rubber protection with roof inside the trunk in low position.
    Rubber protection with roof inside the trunk in low position.

Rubber protection with roof inside the trunk in high position. You can see the roof is touching slightly the rubber, but for now no problem.

Rubber protection with roof inside the trunk in high position. You can see the roof is touching slightly the rubber, but for now no problem.

Another rubber bumper with obviously some stress on it, but again I cannot detect a problem, this must be normal.

Another rubber bumper with obviously some stress on it, but again I cannot detect a problem, this must be normal.

Another rubber bumper but everything looks OK.

Another rubber bumper but everything looks OK.
  • grsubgrsub Posts: 13
    Can you pan out on this photo to give us a better idea of where this plastic abnormality is located.
    OK now I found the famous potential round bumpers stain creators.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

These are the two bumpers, and you can only see them if you stop the closing /opening process.

Looking carefully these bumpers are not touching the plastic cover (few millimetters away) and should not create stains.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here is the plastic cover where the stains should appears if they exist. Not on mine until now...
  • guestguest Posts: 774
    You are 100% right on the stain problem that I had.They are the bumpers that the technician adjusted the cover away from when it is riding on them to silence the noise of cover bouncing when the top is closed. Mine were riding ON the cover which is much lighter color than yours. It is almost same color as the inside lining of your trunk shown in picture of bumpers. The stains came out as almost a brown stain because of chemical reaction from bumpers.

The technician placed a temporary tape over my bumpers with a slick cloth side which would rest on cover in case they touched each other and so far I have seen no circles as before. He said that as soon as dealer received the correct tape they would replace the temporary tape on mine.

I was surprised that yours did not have any tape on them. They must have changed the composition of bumpers or else the space between the two has been the problem all along.
    Mine as stated were riding directly on cover all the time with top up before he adjusted them.
  • ilyily Posts: 1
    Those marks on the quarter panel are caused by the rear headliner being too low. It's a very common problem for Volvo C70-cars. In coupé mode the headliner should not touch the quarter panel. There is supposed to be a small gap between them. Marks as deep as the ones on the picture probably can't be removed entirely; at least not the one on the edge. The quarter panel would have to be replaced. You could probably make them look a bit better using a hot air pistol, by heating them up carefully from a bit of a distance, then applying some pressure to them with your fingers. Unless something is done about the rear headliner the marks will probably return, though.
  • henkbwhenkbw Posts: 22
    Hi Lemenn

I had the same marks on that panel. It is made by the roof in closed position. I took the car back to the dealer, he send it back to the importer. They've got special trained personnel for repairing/adjusting the roof. They replaced the panel and re-adjusted the roof. The car was away for a week. During that week I got a V50 (with a fully filled gas tank) for usage. After the repair the roof was working fine. They also did some software-updates ("puppy-sound" !!). And of course, it was all for free (I didn't even had to pay for the gas).

So, before doing something you might regret, contact your dealer:)

HenkBW
    Hi henkbw,

Thank you for the info. Unfortunately I don't see myself asking to change this part to my dealership unless it is really distroyed which is not the case yet.

I really missed the good customer service you have in the USA.
  • henkbwhenkbw Posts: 22
    Hi Lemenn

For your info:
    I live in the Netherlands (yes, Europe).
    And the car's panel wasn't destroyed neither. It only had two small dents, just like the ones you have (according to your photo). They've tried to repair it, but weren't satisfied with the results. So, they replaced the whole panel (and re-adjusted the roofmechanism).
    Maybe you should be more persistent. After all, you paid a lot of money for the car. And Volvo always give up highly about their customer-friendliness. So, let them prove that.

Success,

HenkBW
    Hi henkbw,

I will probably try next week end, but my dealership is very new in town. They have only been around one year. It is a subsidiary of a bigger dealership located one hour away.
    They are selling Volvo, Subaru and Suzuki like the big dealership. When they have to work on my Subaru, they have to send it to the big dealership because they don't have all the tools. It is basically 2 sales people and 1 main mechanic/customer service person + maybe 1 or 2 technicians and 1 secretary.

3 months ago, we had our 97 subaru legacy outback limited that we brought back from California for a complete 10 years check up. One of the things was to control the airbags and everything went fine. After 10 years we have nothing to do on this car. But we are still waiting for the certificate confirming everything is fine with the airbags, and that after more than 3 requests.

Just to show that the customer is not always the king like we say.
  • Hi, I have experienced twice now a warning regarding the top. The scenarios have been mostly the same... It has been night time, top is up and has been up for several days, I am driving on the highway at somewhere between 65 mph and 80 mph and it has been moderately windy. An alert displays in the drivers menu screen stating something to the effect "Stop Close Top To Avoid Severe Damage" and the red hazard light in the drivers panel lights up with a loud beep accompanying it. As I said, the top has been closed on both occasions. I have pulled over and stopped, pushed the close top button and the rear windows go all the way down and the menu changes to "Roof Closed"... the rear windows do not go back up automatically, so I have raised them with the driver door control. Beeps and warning message stop and problem is averted... I'm guessing the speed and the wind are partially to blame, but after two times I am hoping this is not a regular thing as it is a hassle and annoying to pull over of off the highway to stop.

Has anyone else experienced this?
  • My dealership just gave me a new small brochure entitled "All-New Volvo C70 Tips - Guide to MY07 All-New Volvo C70 Features, Functions, and Use". It is as big as an 8.5 x 11 page when unfolded but has loads of tips and features listed in it. If you haven't seen a copy and would like one, please let me know and I'll e-mail it to you. (Way too much to type for you.) Anyway, I came across a warning inside of it that concerns me. Regarding the Retractable Hardtop (RHT), it states "Always complete the cycle and wait for the confirmation signal (chime) ROOF CLOSED and ROOF OPEN." Further down it reads "WARNING: Do not leave the roof in a stationary "middle" position. If necessary to leave the roof in this position, do not do so for more than a few minutes." I'm very upset to find this out because my car arrived at the dealership about four days ago and on its second day at the dealership they had the roof stopped in mid-action for the WHOLE DAY to display it! Stupid me thought that the dealership wouldn't do something that might damage the car. When I went back today to discuss this they said they don't do that anymore (what a difference two days makes or was it the brochure that finally brought them to their senses since it arrived around the same time). So if you do this with your roof - DON'T!
  • tom007tom007 Posts: 40
    I would appreciate a copy of the brochure as my dealer told me when my car was delivered that it would not harm the system to stop roof in middle position. My E-mail address is tomjeff03@aol.com.

Thanks in advance and again this forum has proven that we can help each other when we receive tips about the C70.

I look forward to receiving a copy of brochure and I hope they did not harm your car. If it was the one with ribbon taken with your cell phone, I thought the top was in middle position.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Volvo is quite explicit about not leaving the roof in middle position.
    Also, the roof should not be cycled any more than 5 times in an hour, with 10 min intervals between cycles.
    Plus, the roof should not be out up or down on an incline.
  • Yes please, may I have a copy also? My e-mail is on my 'profile page', if not I'll post it here tomorrow. I'd appreciate a copy when you have a moment. As Tom007 said - this is what this forum is all about - helping one another and passing on timely info - thanks for thinking of others when you obviously have your own worries. Let's hope that all will be well for you.

Merry Xmas - if we don't have any further exchanges before Monday.
  • Sorry, I've been away from the computer throughout the day. I'll go in to work tomorrow to scan the brochure and then e-mail copies to both of you, erisaman and tom007. I'll try to send a copy in an e-mail by late afternoon tomorrow.
  • Hey - this is Xmas, no going into work for this, I'm sure Tom007 would also be happy to wait a day or two until the festivities have passed.

All the very best, once again :) .
    Absolutely cricket4. This is season to relax and enjoy yourself. I will be happy to get the brochure at anytime you can send, but don't interrupt your Holiday just to send it. Thanks again for bringing it to our attention
  • Am I right in thinking that, to open (or close) the roof is a half cycle - and that a complete cycle would be to open and then close the roof?
    Just received your E-mail with brochure copy. Did some editing to break it apart so I could read it and print it out. Thanks and have a wonderful Holiday.
  • Thank you Cricket4 - it's Xmas morning here in the UK and I received your e-mail late last night, printed it out and took it to bed to read.

It is very interesting, containing info not found in the handbook, especially the part that the roof action should not be repeated too often, in fact, recommending even longer spells than that suggested by Volvomax.

So, Merry Xmas one and all - look forward to more info in the coming days and in the New Year.
  • Hi "Cricket4"-
    May I also have a copy of the brochure emailed to me... mbinla@mac.com. No rush, whenever you get a chance,
    Merry Christmas and many thanks!
  • Thank you all for the info shared on this forum.A bit more than a month to delivery , but I feel like I know quite a bit of the car already.

If Volvomax said min 10 minutes between cycles , what does the brochure say?

Actually , if I may ask , Could you - or Cricket4 - e-mail me that brochure too, wheever time and occupations permit?
    Would be highly appreciated. :)
  • oups !! finger trouble
    Meant to wish you all a mery Christmas and a great '07
    all the best
  • cuccicucci Posts: 49
    Dear Volvomax ....... would it be possible for you to send me a copy of the brochure? It seems to contain stuff we all need to know ... anytime would be fine! I think my e mail address is on my profile. That would be so kind!!!! Hope your christmas is going well ....... cucci
  • Sorry Cucci - it's me again!

The brochure is being distributed by 'cricket4' although it's quite possible that Volvomax also has the same brochure.

I checked out your profile for your e-mail addy but it shows up as private - otherwise I would have forwarded the brochure this evening. My e-mail (previously marked private) is now def on show so you can contact me if you wish.
  • cuccicucci Posts: 49
    oh god .... I am not up to full speed on all this!!! I thought buying a new car ... would be ... well, just like buying a new car!!!! That it just goes when you want it to, etc. etc.!!!! I'll e mail you!
  • Your e-mail is marked as private. If you like I will e-mail it to sanjodlau@carspace.com. Do you check your e-mail on your "My CarSpace"? Or would you prefer to change your e-mail from "private"? If you prefer, you can e-mail me at cricket4@carspace.com. That should work and I will reply with the brochure. (If you've already gotten a copy from someone else, disregard this post.) Glad this brochure helps. For those of you who have not picked up your car yet, next time you are at the dealership you should be able to pick up a brochure (IN COLOR, ohhh ahhhh). Might be only the US, though.
  • Sorry Sanjodlau - missed your posting earlier, not deliberately ignoring you.

The brochure says [quote] "Ideally, the roof should be opened or closed only once every 15 to 20 minutes" - so that answers my question to volvomax as to what constitutes a cycle.

I can forward cricket4's e-mail to you, no problem, send me your addy if you wish and I'll get back to you fairly soon as I have it at home, whereas cricket4 has it in the office - a no-go area over Xmas.

P.S. Snap, I see cricket4 is responding even as I type.
  • P.S. - the interval is as follows:

* The roof should not be operated more than four times consecutively without allowing the hydraulics and motors to cool.

* Ideally, the roof should be opened or closed only once every 15 to 20 minutes.
  • Hi Cricket4 and erisaman

Thanks for the prompt reply to you both.I thought I had set my e-mail to 'public' but something must have gone wrong somewhere.Anyway , it should show up now.
    Thanks again and can't wait to be able to feed usefull info on this forum , just like you guys - and girls - have done so far.
    cheers