Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo C70 Convertible Top Problems

Comments

• bobparisbobparis Posts: 28
    The yellow button is a push-up and push-down switch to raise and then lower the roof assembly a few inches so that you can stow cargo when the roof is "down." I believe Volvo's design goal was to allow a golf bag to fit. You must have pushed the button without realizing it. What you describe is a normal operation and described at length in the owner's manual.
  • rich163rich163 Posts: 2
    Can you tell me how to get the crank out of my trunk since the boot cover is stuck all the way up and will not go down and the cloth top will go most of the way down or most of the way up but stops about 3 inches from the wind shield? I am about to unbolt the boot from the hardware that is attached to the drive screws so I can get the trunk opened and then when I do does the crank go into that slot on each shed in the back seat?
  • Julie,

I know you dealt with this awhile ago. We just had the window cave in on the convertible top. Many are saying we need a whole new top? What did you do? Is there a way to seal or go to an Upholstery shop?
  • 05clue05clue Posts: 2
    I have an 05 C70 soft top. The roof works fine but sometimes when it is closing the left-side locating-pin (which locates on the top of the windscreen) misses it's slot and sits awkwardly until I raise the roof again and reclose it. It's not the end of the world, but it is blxxxxy annoying.
    Can anyone help?
    cheers
  • tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,006
    Can you guide it in by hand the first time? Would definitely be annoying to operate the top twice.
  • 05clue05clue Posts: 2
    Yes I can, and it will locate usually on the second hit. It is only a few thou adrift!
  • because of a crimp in my antennae (due to the garage door coming down on it:( , it would not retrack and caused my top got stuck going down and then lost power all together when I tried to put it back up. I have seen the posts about cranking the top down manually. How do you do that on a 2002 C70? And/or how do I restore power to the system? eventually, I presume that I need to get a new antanae to restore full operation. thanks.
  • you said you manually cranked the front top back to closed postion can you please explain how you did that without getting into the trunk?

thanks, scott
  • I used my key to open my trunk. From there I used the small tool and cranked it closed.
  • is there a way of getting the stowage cover down so i can get into the trunk to manually crank the top down I've read all the threads on this topic and no one has explained how to do this
    is it even possible without removing the cover?
  • paullovepaullove Posts: 1
    I have a 03 C70 soft top. After driving the car all winter i tried to but the roof down today but with no joy!

The light on the switch to put the roof down is not coming one when pressing it! (nothing happens when you press it)
    I checked the main fuse's but all seem ok! Called Volvo garage but was told they need to put the car onto the computer at a cost of £100 to see what the fault is alone!
    Can anyone help me with this problem or tell me where to start!
    I tried taking the earth of the battery but still nothing!

Also is there a way to manually put the roof down and up? In the handbook it only tells you how to crank the roof up. BUT NOT DOWN!

Be great full if anyone could help me on this problem. Thanks
  • Hi,
    When I had to put my roof down I used the same method of cranking it just cranked it in the opposite direction. I hope you get yours working. I found a small garage that took care of me rather than the dealer. The dealers tend to over charge compared to the smaller mechanics.
    Hope this helps.
  • My C70 2004 soft top does not close properly. Something is out of sync. When the top raises from trunk (to close), I hear a loud snap, then, metal steel locking devices come forward before top closes completely. Top then slams onto windshield frame ...unable to close b/c metal is in the way. Top is to close first, then metal rods motions forward to lock top in place. Everything works, but sequence is an issue.
  • tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,006
    The rear window has started to separate from the canvas on my top, "delaminating" per the dealer. Am being told the glass can not be reglued, and the only way to fix it is to replace the top! Anyone have this happen to their C70? Was told a canvas top only lasts about 6 years and they can't believe mine is a 99. Any comments would be appreciated. Hate the thought/cost of replacing the top. :sick:
  • hi i saw this very old message here and was just wondering if you ever found a solution to this problem as i have experienced exactly the same issue. many thanks. peter
  • top cover is stuck straight up roof was about 3 inches from windsheild read operators manual pulled front roof motor cover down and off put tool in slot cranked clockwise and roof latched back down on windsheild. NOW IF SOMEONE HAS ANY IDEA HOW TO GET INTO THE TRUNK TO CRANK DOWN THE TOP COVER I WOULD GREATLY BE THANKFUL SINCE MY TOP ROCKER SWITCH IS DEAD AND I DO NOT KNOW WHY . p s checked all fuses no luck pls help
  • yojasonyojason Posts: 3
    Help please!!!
    I have an 04 c70 and I first noticed that that the rear window demister was not working. I have also noticed that the chime at the end of the lowering or raising of the top does not sound. Also the windows do not lower when the top starts its cycle.

From what I read on VADIS the control module is suppose to lower the windows 5cm at the begging of the cycle. Also the boot is not suppose to be able to be open via the switch (I can open it while lowering or raising the top but it does stop). Also the rear defroster is shup off when the cycle is not complete which is why I think the defroster does not work.
    I have checked the fuses and they seem to be fine. I found a buzzard or Relay that reads "Audible Hood Warning Unit 8611543" I204
    I am not sure if this is the relay for the chime. I tried to test it by putting power to the connectors but I did not hear a click.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks..
  • rich163rich163 Posts: 2
    I have a Volvo C70 convertible also and my top went 1/2 way up and stopped. Would not go down or up. All fuses were fine. I had to use tools to take off the boot from the hinges so I could get into the trunk so I could use the crank. Then I had to also use the crank inside the car, up by the rear view mirror so I could lock the top down. Now the DAMN ding DING bell goes off every time I drive the car. I have been trying to find where the bell is so I can disconnect it, or put tape over it. I can live with the top being a crank up and down, because I have several other cars and because I have cut the crank off and now just insert it into a battery drill. Any one know where the bell is???
  • I have a 2007 C70 and I have taken it into a couple of repair shops as I am having a leaking problem with the Hard top. No body can seem to find the problem and I have paid a lot of money to fix it. Does any one have any ideas for me on how to fix this or a good repair shop in the Seattle area that could help with this?