Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Hybrid Interior & Passenger Comfort Questions

2»

Comments

• didmididmi Posts: 2
    On our 2006 Escape Hybrid, we noted a leak near the left, rear wheel from what appeared to be a coolant line. After 2 visits to a dealership, they said it was the auxillary a/c lines leaking for the battery cooling. The lines were corroded through and the vehicle has 36k miles! The service manager said this could be an overheating problem and could cause a fire! But this is not covered by warranty and the cost would be $1000 to $1500! What is Ford's backup to the a/c lines if they leak and don't cool the battery? Why wouldn't Ford cover this item and protect the consumers from the potential safety issue?
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,732
    edited March 2010
    "On our 2006 Escape Hybrid, we noted a leak near the left, rear wheel from what appeared to be a coolant line. After 2 visits to a dealership, they said it was the auxiliary a/c lines leaking for the battery cooling. The lines were corroded through and the vehicle has 36k miles! The service manager said this could be an overheating problem and could cause a fire! But this is not covered by warranty and the cost would be $1000 to $1500! What is Ford's backup to the a/c lines if they leak and don't cool the battery? Why wouldn't Ford cover this item and protect the consumers from the potential safety issue? "

I think that if the battery overheats the vehicle will simply stop - before it catches fire or something like that.

I've often wondered how Ford and other hybrid makers could get by with saying that the Aux A/C was not required for the hybrid system to work. Hybrid components are covered for either 8 yrs / 100K or 10 yrs / 150K, depending on the state. It seems to me that if the hybrid components won't work without the aux A/C, Ford should be fixing this stuff under warranty.

I've also wondered about the wisdom of Ford routing those aux A/C pipes outside the vehicle chassis. I had assumed they were aluminum and would not corrode. Did they corrode outside the vehicle?
  • didmididmi Posts: 2
    I didn't see the corrosion myself, but I saw the leak area and it was outside the vehicle.

I've sent an email to Ford asking about this situation, but don't have feedback yet.
    I'm also going to contact another Ford dealership in the area that will probably be more helpful than the dealerships in Dearborn (Ford's hometown).
2»