Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430 Starting Problems

2»

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,013
    On a car that old it's important to check your records for basic tune-up maintenance before you get into esoteric reasons for a non-start in cold weather. A strong battery, good spark plugs, the right weight oil, can all make a big difference. Also if you still have your owner's manual, check on the recommended procedure for cold starts.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• I've been having starting issues with my 2003 LS430 for a few months now and have gone as far as to have the battery, spark plugs and starter replaced within the last month. I thought that would take care of it, but I was wrong. My car starts most of the time, but sometimes when I turn the key nothing. At these times, I have to turn and hold the key in order to get it to start. Once the car starts, everything is fine.

I spent a lot of $ having the starter replaced. What else is there? A few days after having my starter replaced, I turned the key to start the car and while the car started, it took a few seconds for the engine to turn over. Before I started having these issues (months ago) all I had to do was turn the key and the car would instantly start. Now, it always seems to take a second or two from when I turn the key to have the engine turn over.

Any suggestions or hints would be greatly appreciated. I've tried everything and I really like the car and don't feel like getting rid of it.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Ignition switch? Relay? If you changed the starter and the battery, and the alternator is doing its job, it has to be another electrical component.
  • Yes. It was starter. Replaced it by my mechanics. $200 parts, $500 labor. The starter locate inside engine, that's why it cost more to repair.
    My LS400 98 has 162K now, no any other problems. It is the most economical car I've ever had, yet most luxury, powerful and comfortable.
  • mike1981mike1981 Posts: 1
    I have an 04 LS 430 .. Does anyone know where relay for fog lights is located ...
    Thank you
  • alpopalpop Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 2003 Lexus LS 430. When I turn the key to start the engine I have to hold it in start position for a few seconds (while there is no noise from the starter, initially I thought the battery is dead), and then it starts. When I bought it, a month ago, when I was turning the key all the way it started, without the 2-3 seconds of delay. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • alpopalpop Posts: 2
    cneuman, could you tell me how much you got charged to remove/disable the Lexus link? I would like to try it, too.
    Thanks.
    Engine Room Relay Box #2, just behind the left side (driver's) headlight.

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Clean and burnish the battery posts/terminals.
  • 1995 LS430 with 170,000 miles. Normal maintenance has been given but now it's dead. Put a new battery in it on Monday but it still wouldn't even turnover, oh and by the way, it won't jump start either. It's a great old lumbering beast of a thing, but it has been a very good car. What else should I check - don't want to spend a ton!
  • I just checked and when the new battery was put in apparently the burnishing and cleaning was done.

Any other thoughts - besides that really expensive option - new starter?

Thanks.
    Do your headlights go on?

If NO, then you still have a cable or possibly a fusible link problem

If the lights DO go on, you could have a bad starter, starter relay (solenoid), ignition switch, or perhaps another fusible link to the starter relay.

If you had a test light you could test for voltage from the igntion switch to the starter relay--probably requires a lift to do this.

A new starter motor is nothing more than an expensive guess at this time.

• dandydon2dandydon2 Posts: 77
    Just recently, my 2004 LS430 dashboard trunk release switch has stopped working. Any suggestions ... fuse, loose wire, etc.? Car is in top shape otherwise, with only 48K miles.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Dandydon
    Probably the first two things to check are a) fuse and b) get a test light, open the trunk with the key, and test for voltage to the trunk lock solenoid when someone else works the dash switch.

Be sure the valet PB isn't depressed.
    Ah, great thought there!

• dandydon2dandydon2 Posts: 77
    Bingo, Mr. Shiftright,

The problem was exactly as you suggested, I had inadvertently pushed the lockout button. Didn't even realize there was such a button there.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Dandydon
    HEY...!!??
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    rest assured that you are admired, wwest, even though not every poster gets the threaded or accreditation right. :)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Well, console yourself---think of those rare occasions when YOU got credit for my suggestions--LOL!

Remember, being a genius is a thankless task -- and yes you can quote me.

• dad19dad19 Posts: 1
    This post is 2-1/2 years old, but it is currently relevant to me. Does anybody know how this is resolved? I have the same symptoms.
  • I have a LS 400 2000. Going well for last 13 years until last month. Starting problems. Dealer changed battery. Did not use for 3 days and car did not start. This time they changed the alternator. OK for 2 weeks. Again did not use for 4 days and car did not start. They said maybe an electrical drain somewhere they cannot figure out. All fuses are good. An independent person verified that the battery and alternator are good. By the way, they also changed a terminal on the battery.

Also the electricals on the driver side door do not work such as driver side controls for other door locks, other door glass up/down, side view mirror controls and the alarm. This happened since the battery went down the first time and I had to jump start the car. Dealer says these are unrelated. In any case they feel that there is an electrical drain somewhere and it will cost $ 1500 to diagnose. Not sure if it is worth it, because if I start the car once a day, then it is fine the next day.

Regarding the electrical issue in the door, last week, suddently all of these electrical issues were gone, and I thought it was well and good. Again it seemed to not work. This has happened 4-5 times and I have just given up. Can anone make any suggestions. Thanks very much !
  • I am having the same problem on a 2001 LS430 (7/9/13). Has anyone come up with a solution yet?
2»