Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430 Starting Problems

cneumancneuman Posts: 55
Please help!

I tried posting this problem on the "electrical problems" board, but since there's been no action lately on that board and with the new set up, I really didn't quite know where to post this. I have been having a problem with my 2002 LS. It does not start sometimes after sitting in the garage overnight. There have been times when after waiting for a half an hour or so after the initial try, I will try it again and it will start. Other times, I have gotten a jump and it will start. Has anyone had a similar problem? Can anyone give me any ideas of what might be the cause?

Thanks,

cn

Comments

• jensadjensad Posts: 388
    Dear cneuman

My first thought was maybe your battery is flat. A 2002 Lexus battery may be at the end of the road.

Good luck to you

Jens
  • Thanks jensad. I'm sorry, I forgot to mention in this discussion, replacing the battery was the first thing I did.

I appreciate your response.

cn
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    A "flat spot", open segment, on the starter commutator will often have this effect. If you hear the "click" of the starter solenoid each time you turn the key to the start position the above is most likely the case.
  • Thanks wwest. No click. No sound at all that I could discern. However, I wonder now, if I'm missing that sound due to the sound of the steering wheel moving when I turn the key. If/when this happens again, I will pay closer attention. Anyone have any idea of what else it could be if there is indeed no sound at all?

Thanks to all.

cn
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    the Alternator? Have you had it checked for output? Because obviously, your battery has been draining, if a jump will start it.

If not output, then you have some device on the car draining the battery overnight, like a radio that stays on constantly, or light somewhere. IF anything is hot in the car, that's your problem.....
  • Thanks nvbanker,
    My mechanic has checked for what I'm told is called "parasitic drains", as you mentioned. The Lexus dealer and my independent mechanic both agree that if the problem is not happening when they check the car out it's very difficult to diagnose. This is very difficult, because, even if I had the car towed, it still might start, once it reaches the mechanic. However both also agree that if I hear a clicking sound outside of the car, which is very hard to do, by the way, when you're alone, that it could probably be the starter. In spite of knowing very little myself about the mechanics of a car, I too also thought that it could possiblly be the altenator or the starter. Since I was able to finally have someone else present when the car wouldn't start, so that they could attempt to start the car, I did hear a clicking sound while standing outside the car. I'm taking it to the mechanic today and hopefully this will be the end of this episode. I will keep you all informed, in case this experiece might help someone else in the future, as you have all helped me and many others with your knowledge and experiences. Sorry for the lenghty post.

And again, thanks to all.

cn
  • Does anyone have experience with the first generation Lexus LS400 driving in snow? I'm considering buying one to be a 3rd car that will be a winter car. I understand the early 400's were derived from the Toyota Cressida and if so, I do have a lot of snow/ice experience with that car as I had a new one in 83 - 87 and found it to be very good in the winter here in NH. The Cressida was also a rear wheel drive car and with only a limited-slip differential, it handled deep snow and icy conditions very well. It was a rare car having an inline 6, a 5-speed manual trans, and 4 wheel disc brakes - really a great, reliable car.
    So are the early Lexus 400's ok in the snow?

Thanks, driveRight in NH.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Stop by the general Lexus LS 400/LS 430 discussion and use the Search This Discussion feature for snow. You'll find a number of posts worth checking out. That's also a better place for your questions since this one is about starting issues.

Welcome to CarSpace! Let me know if I can help you find anything, or with anything at all. You can get my email address by clicking on my name. Have fun!
  • I'm A DIY OF SORT I'm JUST WONDERING IF IT WOULD BE DIFFICULT TO INSTALL A ALTERNATOR ON A LEXUS LS 400
    1991? OR WOULD SOMEONE SUGGEST ITS' WORTH TAKING IT
    IN AND PAYING DEALER TO INSTALL? DESPERATE IN LA PUENTE
    CA HOPE TO HEAR FROM SOMEONE SOON. THANKS FUR NEE
    Ooops...
    Clicking sound not "click", as in a single click?

Clicking (continuous for as long as the key is held in the start position) is usually the result, A) low battery charge, B) poor connections from the positive battery post to the starter solenoid or the "ground" return from the starter to the negative battery post, or, C) an internal problem within the battery.
    POC.

Piece of cake..
  • COOL,SO YOU WOULD RECOMMEND I DO IT MYSELF, THAT'S GOOD
    TO HEAR. THANKS WWEST,IF YOU HAVE ANY TIPS IT WOULD BE
    MUCH APPRECIATED. PEACE OUT...FURNEE
  • Thanks wwest. If my memory serves me correctly, if was a single click, that seemed to be coming from the small box like fixture on the drivers side, far back in the engine compartment(near windshield). However, I took my car in more than a week ago, to have the Lexus suggested, Lexus Link removal. I haven't had the problem since. I don't know if these two things are related or if I've just been lucky so far. In the meantime, I also stopped setting my alarm at night. Don't know if this has anything to do with it either. Will keep you guys posted, in case anyone else ever has this problem.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays to all.

cn
    POC

Are you kidding? You have to move the Power Steering pump first, don't you? It's certainly doable, but I wouldn't put it in the POC category.... :surprise:
    The alarm is most likely your problem..... Sounds like your starter interlock is failing...
  • rgswrgsw Posts: 333
    suggest you access the last forum subject on this page
    Lexus LS: Problems & Solutions
    and do a search. Lots of postings in that forum regards starter problems.
  • Thanks nvbanker and rgsw. I will do the search, but nvbanker, are you saying that even though, I can put the alarm on durning the day with no adverse affects, putting the alarm on at night would cause the interlock failure, only in the mornings. Also, I hope I'm not tempting fate, but I haven't had the problem in about two weeks. Is it just a matter of time?

cn
  • to nvbanker so it's going to be difficult to repair myself?
    do you know of any website that might have a a step by step illustration of how to install the alternator. desperate in la california. furnee
  • My LS 400 will start after the 3rd or 4th attempt. Could it possibly be just the starter? Should i turn the radio switch off at night. I thought the radio was off when the car goes off or could be a drain on the alternator?
  • CN,

Was it the interlock failure or the removal of the Lexus Link that corrected the problem? Please let me know as soon as possible.

Brich