Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar XJ-Series: Sudden Acceleration

13»

Comments

• xbaronxbaron Posts: 6
    I will be happy to testify to my own 4 times experience with my 05 jag. VP I traded it in to jag after I paid to have it fixed. I like you, could not sell it with a clear conscience. It had 35000 miles on it and I planned to keep it as a collector. Tata vis Ford vis you and me. Good luck. We should live so long. Better to cut your loss and live to drive another day. I am now slumming it with a XF. Life sucks sometimes. Ha ha
  • ok.I spoke with jaguar ,I took the car to two dealership dealer for service and both told me there are nothing wrong with the car ?? "I can not sell the car in good conscience either" Jaguar corp is telling me "It had never been reports of car acceleration" I would like to see if as a group we can talk about some kind of legal action towards Jaguar"please lets talk .I live in miami florida and I did not contact any lawyer yet but is my understanding that some of you already did. lets do something before somebody is kill .
    Gino
    Hello Gino,
    The line from Jag is so canned it was just the same as I got. Unless we can get a lot of owners behind us I do not know what would be an successful action.
    I would like to get service people under oath if in fact Jaguar, under Ford or Tata is coaching their people. A major recall could cripple Jag. The other
    part of this is what do we the owners or past owners want as compensation. t
    The failure of my car cost me to purchase a replacement at least 3 years ahead of time. I would estimate a cost of 10k per year times 3 years. It works out to be close to the resale value of my car. I really liked my car but there is no money in sentiment.
  • OME_OMYOME_OMY Posts: 12
    I do have a Jaguar XJ series and have experienced the Sudden Acceleration on a number of occasions in a prior past year. It is about the scariest experience I have had. I did not get into an accident. I was lucky several times. I took it to an independent repair facility that had a former Jaguar employee working there. They did an expensive procedure that basically cleaned the internals of all of the fuel system and checked the entire fuel system out in every way, replacing fuel filter, etc. That "cleaning" procedure has kept the sudden acceleration problem from returning. It is not a commonly known procedure. I will tell you the repair facility if you contact me by email and you can discuss it with the manager there. magicohmeohmy@aim.com
  • xkrjwxkrjw Posts: 1
    I have a 98 XK8 convertible that I bought in 2005 from the original owner. The car had 16000 original miles on it and I have now accumulated 46000 total miles with no problems until 2 weeks ago when I experienced 2 episodes of sudden acceleration after stopping at a traffic light. I brought the car to the Jaguar dealer that sold it to the first owner and they kept it for 4 days and said they could find nothing wrong with the car and they had never heard of this problem. Since getting the car back, I have experienced another episode of sudden acceleration and decided to park it until I can get issue resolved. I plan to contact the Jaguar dealer and escalate through their chain of command but based on comments I've seen on blogs I'm not very optimistic ---- any advice on dealing with this issue would be appreciated.
    I would have them flash the computer and do the injector and fuel filter replacement. I sold my Xj. Lost faith in it's safety. I now have an FX. No problem but liked my xj better. If you have the flash and clean and it happens again, then get rid of it. I am sure your life or someone else is worth far more than a car.good luck.
  • I recently got what I thought was a great deal on a second hand 2005 XJR SUPER 8. I was thrilled with it's handling, performance and look and still have a strange love for what I am sure is a dangerous monster in disguise. The first acceleration happened in a airport drop-off loop where I had stopped to allow 6 people to cross the road in a crosswalk. The car suddenly jumped to about 4 to 5 thousand rpm and fortunately I was able to stomp on the brake and hold back 395 wild HP until it calmed back to normal. I could have killed 6 people! I first thought it had to be me that hit the accelerator and even checked to see if the carpet had bunched up by the pedal. No it was pinned down tight. What had just happened I thought? Well after 3 more unwanted accelerations I KNOW that this car has an issue. I think the guy that sold it to me knows too but has no problem sleeping at night. What do I do? I can't sell it or even let my wife drive it. Instead I switch to neutral every time I slow down and am very aware of the feel, sound and rpms. What else can I do? Such an amazing car with such a dangerous problem. Shame on you Jaguar. luckily I have heard of no fatalities to date but sooner or later someone is going to die. Any advise is greatly appreciated but I suspect I am alone with my "monster"
  • OME_OMYOME_OMY Posts: 12
    I had it too, but on my 1994 XJ6 original engine, original everything. I finally took mine to an independent repair company in Baton Rouge, LA. This company has a rich history that now includes Jaguar repair that might be better than the local dealership because the service manager for the Jaguars is the former service manger for the Jaguar dealership. Dealerships are famous for not working on my 1994 because of it's age. They did a very special cleaning of the internals of the fuel system and some other adjustments, which changed it, and made everything good. Haven't had that problem in years after that. Donald Lowery
  • Thanks Donald for reply. I wonder however if a 94 model issue would have anything to do with a 05 problem. Very different cars. especially in the fly by wire throttle. I noticed that some earlier posts are of low mileage vehicles. Would cleaning the fuel system make sense when it probably has not had time to get dirty yet?
  • I am new to this forum but have owned my 2004 XJ from new. This morning, for the first time, I experienced sudden acceleration in a parking lot. Fortunately no damage or injuries. I have browsed the forum but found no known fix. Have I missed something?
  • I have just had the same experience of sudden acceleration on a dual carriageway and badly crashed into another car at 100mph on 13th November 2013 here in Kent in the UK.
    My XJ8, bought from new, well looked after by main dealer,50000 miles on clock, one driver (me) My car and other car probable writeoff and lucky to be alive.
    First response from dealer is that they have never heard of this problem before!
    My son researched the web and found all your problems very easily so I find it hard to believe that Jaguar are unaware. I am awaiting an independent report from my insurers before really going public here in the UK.
    Tricia Carr Kent UK
  • Watch out. I am in Kent UK and on 13th Nov 2013 I had what could have been a fatal crash on a dual carriageway . I had my XJ8 from new, 50000miles on the clock and it suddenly accelerated. Couldn't stop it and hit doing about 100mph a car moving more slowly in front of me.
    Am awaiting insurance independent expert report before really going public, but don't wish anyone else to get hurt before I take further action.
13»