Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar XJ-Series Fuel System Questions

2»

Comments

• denhamdenham Posts: 76
    The code is P1647 and I have changed out the 02 sensor bank 2 and still get the same code P1647. At one time I was getting code P1230 fuel relay, changed this out and now get code P1647 only. At times you may not get fuel pressure, and go back and all is fine with exception of engine light on? The fuel relay picks up but no voltage for the pump and later voltage and all is fine?
    Dennis
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,645
    are your sure you replaced bank 2 sensor, which is on your right as you face the car, and is placed before the catalytics?

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

I will check but replaced the sensor on the right setting in the car? From in front of the car is not bank 2 on the left?
    Dennis
    I have now replaced both 02 sensors and now can not get fuel pressure. The relay picks up but no voltage at the fuel fuse?
    Okay so you're saying you still have intermittent, random fuel pressure...which was your original problem?

Not intermittent anymore, can get no fuel pressure, have voltage at the tank plug and now pulling the fuel tank to install new pump. You were right about the second bank, and If you have not changed that sensor you do not want to as it was most difficult.
    Dennis
    arghhh! :(

• I have one too and have learned not to believe everyone on line so I'll tell you what I know for sure. There is a temp sensor next to the gauge temp sensor, it has an oval 2 prong socket. If this sensor is bad it will make engine run lean, too rich and incorrect timing. If this condition has persisted your plugs will be carbon fouled. Clean-up plugs re=gap (make sure they are right ones), then jump the two terminals on sensor plug and see if this helps performance. If it does replace the sensor if it doesn't you haven't wasted any money. Now will you tell me where the fuel filter is located, I don't feel like looking all over for it. TX Choquet
  • If you don't want it let me know. You NEED to find a good honest mechanic or someone is really dogging your car, anyway the repairs are priced too high. Jaguar made quality cars and if maintained properly will go a long way. Didn't see the "serviced timing chain/belt" which gets done @ 60K mi., if it fail severe engine damage is almost certain. Get a re-manufactured crank installed if its broken, don't be afraid of used jag parts. Keep it and fire your mech.
    Well Sir, Replaced the fuel pump. Found wire inside tank burned pump seemed ok. Replaced pump with new one ( AirTex brand) and now getting above 60psi before it was 35-40 with old pump, and now a leak at the tank fitting going in. Should I put old pump back in when I try and repair leak? Pulled tank with lines attached and not sure if these fitting have a "o ring" or what and if just maybe this high pressure is part to blame for this leak ? .
    YOUR ADVICE!
    Too much pressure, yes. Should be 42 psi. I don't know this car at all, so I'm in the dark here. There IS a sealing ring for the evaporative loss flange at the tank.

• I need a free download manual, for a 1990 Sovereign. Scope of service work requires exact info and pics, tired of slow dancing. I know there's a Haynes or Chilton out there, I got it and deleted it cause it was a lot on my computer.
    you can buy one used for $8 bucks. Surely your baby is worth that? :P

used Haynes Manual for Jaguar on Amazon

• There is no question but that the early 90's Jags had lots of fuel supply, and consequent starting problems. I have been there (with a 92, XJ6). But, there is one possible fix that has worked for me a couple of times, when I thought I had a fuel starvation problem, and the engine would not hit a lick. Try re-setting the Computer. Disconnect the + battery side for 10 min. or so. Turn on the switch, then reconnect. Leave the switch on and disconnect the battery again. Turn off the switch. Re-connect and see it she won't crank up.

You may be getting fuel to the fuel manifold, but not past the injectors, if the computer is off-base (or shot).

Gene37
  • I have an 84 XJS HE that has a fuel leak on the pressure side just after coming out of the pump on the wheel well side. A rubber hose is situated between the differential saddle and the frame. Does any one know how to replace this hose without having to remove the saddle?
  • @nancyisenberg said: I purchased what appears to be an inline fuel filter for my 1999 Jaguar XJ8. The parts place says it's located under the car on the drivers side, nope, Jaguar says it's in front of the drivers side wheel well nope, anybody replace the fuel filter. Looked in the truck and under the back seat no luck. Car won't kick over but does crank. Suggestion? @redrocketman said: Just found this forum and interested to see the same problem that I am facing. I have a 2002 XJ8 which cranks but won't fire and I suspect fuel starvation. I can't seem to locate a workshop manual for the car and would love to know where to find the fuel filter, fuel pump and fuel reset (if there is one). Does anyone know where these items are located, or any other likely cause of this problem? Also, does anyone know of an aftermarket workshop manual published for these cars? Thanks

• what is the answer

On the 1999 XJ8 sedan the Fuel Filter is located along the frame rail, next to the fuel tank, and near the driver side rear wheel.

On the 2002 XJ8, same place.

A 'no start' condition can be caused by many things--it would be a long list. First thing you can do is have the car scanned for trouble codes---sometimes chain stores like autozone or OReilly will do this for you for free.

Also, here's a CHECKLIST of things you or your mechanic can look at:

http://www.samarins.com/diagnose/

2»