Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar XJ-Series Fuel System Questions

Comments

• MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,681
    Yes backpressure is always an issue. I think your plan will result in very loud exhaust noises and possibly you will lose some performance on account of insufficient back pressure. Exhaust systems are somewhat of a science so I suspect the engineers restricted the flow in the manifold for a reason. I can't really say. Could also be for strength/noise suppression.

In any event be prepared for a bit of a racket at highway speeds.
  • Help !!!! As per my last posts i'm having problems with my 91 xjs v12..as before the engine had no power. it still run and would go down the road but with no power i could tell it seemed to be on the right bank (bank A) i thought maybe the catilinc converter was cloged so i cut it off and ran a str8 pipe back..Ok after starting it seemed better but still no power and now you could really tell it was on the right bank missing bad like not hitting on all the cylinders. so i completely tuned it up new plugs, plug wires, dist. cap and rotor, new fuel filter. Now its still missing on the right bank. So I switched the coils after doing that right bank seemed to be running ok took it for a short ride still no power but now seemed to be the left bank now. all of a sudden i saw smoke comming from under the hood got out to look and the converter on the left side was glowing red. I got it back home and let it cool down and tried to start it but no fire at all so I switched the coils back and still no fire wont start at all now..I know the coil on the right bank must have been bad cause after i switched them the right bank seemed to fire ok..my question is why would the bad coil now on the left bank cause the converter to get so hot i mean red hot..never had that problem till i switched the coils..now i'm guessing both coils have gone bad cause i have no fire at all. I ordered 2 new coils but hate to put them on if i have another issue causing them to burn out. I'm sure they are the origenal coils that came on the car. just seems funny they both quit at almost the same time..sure would appreciate any imput you may have for me..thanks
  • I am getting no fire out of my coils replaced old coils with new still getting no fire out of coils. any suggestions?
  • rhemcommrhemcomm Posts: 3
    Car runs but will cut off. Sometimes Starts right back up and sometimes wont. Not getting any Vehicle Error Codes. I believe it may be a fuel Problem. Could it be a Dirty Fuel Filter?
  • rhemcommrhemcomm Posts: 3
    Transmission Dash Light Comes on at times which makes the Transmission Shift Hard. I can sometimes Turn off ignition and then Restart Car and Dash Transmission Light goes off. Manual says take it to the Dealer. Any suggestions besides that?
  • I have a 1990 XJ6 that will start right up and drive slowly, but when you push down the accelerator it starts slowing down. Parked with the engine running you can rev it up and it seems just fine. Start down the road and if it is flat you can gradually get up to 60mph , but as soon as you push down on the pedal it starts slowing down. The fuel filter has been replaced. There is a backfire through the intake if at speed you hold down the accelerator as the engine slows down.HELP!!!
  • denhamdenham Posts: 76
    2001 Jaguar XJ8 Engine Light came on and after car sets for a few day at times difficult to get started. Once started runs fine and restarts with no problem. Changed fuel filter, new spark plugs and air filter and this did not help. Car runs fine just this engine light and difficult getting started only at times? This car has 81,000milesw and often sets for weeks before driven.
  • Sounds like a fuel delivery issue and a leanness condition, but from what, it's hard to say without pulling codes and further diagnosis. Also another wild guess, these cars have been known to stall or move off slowly when transmission fluid is very low.
    Car will not start at times and has no fuel pressure, try later and may get fuel pressure and starts and runs fine. Get Code P1247 02 sensor control chip bank 2 and not sure this is my problem or if this sensor can now and then cut off all fuel? Before getting this code got code P1230 fuel relay that I changed and now this code P1247?
    NEED ADVICE!
    Dennis
  • are you sure the number isn't 1647?
    The code is P1647 and I have changed out the 02 sensor bank 2 and still get the same code P1647. At one time I was getting code P1230 fuel relay, changed this out and now get code P1647 only. At times you may not get fuel pressure, and go back and all is fine with exception of engine light on? The fuel relay picks up but no voltage for the pump and later voltage and all is fine?
    Dennis
  • are your sure you replaced bank 2 sensor, which is on your right as you face the car, and is placed before the catalytics?
    I will check but replaced the sensor on the right setting in the car? From in front of the car is not bank 2 on the left?
    Dennis
    I have now replaced both 02 sensors and now can not get fuel pressure. The relay picks up but no voltage at the fuel fuse?
  • Okay so you're saying you still have intermittent, random fuel pressure...which was your original problem?
    Not intermittent anymore, can get no fuel pressure, have voltage at the tank plug and now pulling the fuel tank to install new pump. You were right about the second bank, and If you have not changed that sensor you do not want to as it was most difficult.
    Dennis
  • I have one too and have learned not to believe everyone on line so I'll tell you what I know for sure. There is a temp sensor next to the gauge temp sensor, it has an oval 2 prong socket. If this sensor is bad it will make engine run lean, too rich and incorrect timing. If this condition has persisted your plugs will be carbon fouled. Clean-up plugs re=gap (make sure they are right ones), then jump the two terminals on sensor plug and see if this helps performance. If it does replace the sensor if it doesn't you haven't wasted any money. Now will you tell me where the fuel filter is located, I don't feel like looking all over for it. TX Choquet
  • If you don't want it let me know. You NEED to find a good honest mechanic or someone is really dogging your car, anyway the repairs are priced too high. Jaguar made quality cars and if maintained properly will go a long way. Didn't see the "serviced timing chain/belt" which gets done @ 60K mi., if it fail severe engine damage is almost certain. Get a re-manufactured crank installed if its broken, don't be afraid of used jag parts. Keep it and fire your mech.
    Well Sir, Replaced the fuel pump. Found wire inside tank burned pump seemed ok. Replaced pump with new one ( AirTex brand) and now getting above 60psi before it was 35-40 with old pump, and now a leak at the tank fitting going in. Should I put old pump back in when I try and repair leak? Pulled tank with lines attached and not sure if these fitting have a "o ring" or what and if just maybe this high pressure is part to blame for this leak ? .
    YOUR ADVICE!