Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DeVille Electrical/Lighting

Comments

• I'm having the same problem. Any luck finding the solution? Barry
  • mmb1982mmb1982 Posts: 3
    Hi I have a 2003 Cadillac Deville Dts. and since Nov 2007 it has been stalling. It seems to happend once evey 3-4 weeks. Then if i leave it off for a while it will turn back on with no problem... Or if I turn it off... open all doors and let itslef reset it will start. It is soooo weird. I have taken it to Cadillac and they don't know whats wrong. I have already changed out the Cam sensors and and the torque converter but it is still happening. The guys at the dealer our clueless and say the car is perfect. NO IT'S NOT if that was the case it wouldnt turn off .. Please someone HELP !!!! I have a baby and I am scared this might happen while i'm driving.
    Luckily so far its only when I get in my car and turn it on.

Oh yeah and now it's leaking oil ..AHHHHH !!
    I've only had the car 1 1/2 and it has 75000 FYI.
  • rgwilsonrgwilson Posts: 2
    Recently I tried to jump start my another car from the battery of my '95 Caddy. It appeared the battery died. I bought a new battery and now when I turn the ignition...NOTHING!! She just sits there. No turn over. No starter sound. NADA! I checked all fuses they are in tact. What could could be her possible problem(s)? Thanks in advance.
  • lowkey92lowkey92 Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me what this means and is it exspensive to repair.
  • lowkey92lowkey92 Posts: 2
    The battery is two years old but I was wondering if this sounds like an alternator problem? Please help if you can thanks....
  • ernestternestt Posts: 1
    chased same problem for over two months,killed two new batteries,replaced alternator and several other things,until my mechanic finally saw a code for the fuel pump relay,when i got a service vehicle soon light. replaced 19 dollar relay,two weeks ago,no more dead battery.relay kept pump running intermittenly overnight and kept killing battery.my car is 1989 cadi deville.hope this helps.
  • Did you ever come up with a resolution for this problem?
  • I have a 2000 Cadillac Deville with 75k that I recently bought a new battery for. I replaced it but now the car doesn't start. No click, turnover, nothing. I checked all of the fuses and everything looks fine. The battery is charging properly. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. :confuse:
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    Is your battery under the rear seat or under the hood?

If under the rear seat, I would re-check the battery cable connections. I would also check the negative cable where it is screwed into a nut that is basically in the body just to the right of tthe battery. My 2005 needed this ground tightened down. It is covered with paint, which also makes for a poor connection.

If under the hood, I would check the connection, plus you might have corrision inside the rubber covering the cables, either positive or negative. Just moving these cables around to put the battery in could have broken strands inside the rubber that cannot be seen.

And, you could have bought a dead battery. What is the voltage at the battery connections, with the car turned off, and also while running. A battery in good shape should have 12.6volts. When charging, there should be anywhere from 13 to 15volts at the battery.

Good luck
  • Thanks for the reply. I checked and double checked all of the connections and still nothing. Someone told me that it might be the crank sensor. What do you guys think? I want to make sure I try everything before I tow it to the dealer. So any and all ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
    2000/2001 are bad years for crank sensors, but they usually kill a car dead while it is running.
  • sasso1sasso1 Posts: 3
    I've done everything I could think of and now my dash reads "service theft system". Would you happen to know how to bypass this? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
    From my 2005 manual:

Your vehicle is equipped with the PASS-Key® III
    (Personalized Automotive Security System)
    theft-deterrent system. PASS-Key® III is a passive
    theft-deterrent system. This means you do not have to
    do anything different to arm or disarm the system. It
    works when you insert or remove your key from
    the ignition.
    When the PASS-Key® III system senses that someone
    is using the wrong key, it shuts down the vehicle’s
    starter and fuel systems. The starter will not work and
    fuel will stop being delivered to the engine. Anyone
    using a trial-and-error method to start the vehicle will be
    discouraged because of the high number of electrical
    key codes.
    When trying to start the
    vehicle, if the engine does
    not start and the
    SECURITY light comes on,
    the key may have a
    damaged transponder.
    Turn the ignition off and
    try again.
    If the engine does not start, and the key appears to be
    undamaged, try another ignition key. At this time,
    you may also want to check the fuse. See Fuses and
    Circuit Breakers on page 5-98. If the engine still
    does not start with the other key, your vehicle needs
    service. If your vehicle does start, the first key may be
    faulty. See your dealer who can service the PASS-Key®
    III to have a new key made.
    It is possible for the PASS-Key® III decoder to learn the
    transponder value of a new or replacement key. Up to
    10 additional keys may be programmed for the vehicle.
    This procedure is for learning additional keys only.

AND:

SERVICE THEFT SYSTEM – 34: This message means
    there is a problem with the PASS-Key® III system. A
    fault has been detected in the system which means that
    the system is disabled and is not protecting the
    vehicle. The vehicle usually restarts, however, you may
    want to take your vehicle to your GM dealer before
    turning off the engine.

End manual cut and paste.

Your 2000 probably has some version of this security system. I don't think it will still have the 'resistance pellet in the key' system. The manual says this PassKey3 system has a transponder in the key, and it may be damaged. I think you are going to have to get some professional help for this, unless you have a bad key/s. If a key got really wet, or was physically damaged, I think you might need a new one and have it re-programmed.

Here is what my manual says about programming keys:
    Canadian Owners: If you lose or damage your keys,
    only a GM dealer can service PASS-Key® III to
    have new keys made. To program additional keys you
    will require two current driver’s keys (black in color). You
    must add a step to the following procedure. After
    Step 2, repeat Steps 1 and 2 with the second current
    driver’s key. Then continue with Step 3.
    To program the new key do the following:
    1. Verify that the new key has PK3 stamped on it.
    2. Insert the current driver’s key in the ignition
    and start the engine. If the engine will not start see
    your dealer for service.
    3. After the engine has started, turn the key to OFF,
    and remove the key.
    4. Insert the key to be programmed and turn it to ON
    within 10 seconds of removing the previous key.
    5. The SECURITY light will turn off once the key has
    been programmed. It may not be apparent that the
    SECURITY light went on due to how quickly the
    key is programmed.
    6. Repeat the Steps 1 through 4 if additional keys are
    to be programmed.
    If you are ever driving and the SECURITY light comes
    on and stays on, you will be able to restart your
    engine if you turn it off. Your PASS- Key® III system,
    however, is not working properly and must be serviced
    by your dealer. Your vehicle is not protected by the
    PASS-Key® III system at this time.
    If you lose or damage a PASS-Key® III key, contact
    your dealer to have a new key made.
    In an emergency, contact Cadillac Roadside Assistance.
    See Roadside Service on page 7-5.
  • Anyone have info on this code? were is this at on the car? 95 deville 4.9l i have looked in the repair book, no luck. any and all help would be great.

txz
    BIG P
  • paco4paco4 Posts: 1
    Can someone tell me how hard it is to replace the turn signal switch on this car (1999 Cadillac Deville) I bought the switch I just need some advice on it. the car does have an air bag.
    Is it something that I can do Or do you think I need to take it in?
    Thanks, Francisco
  • So my boyfriend bought a 1995 Cadillac DeVille a few weeks ago and the weirdest thing keeps happening with his key lock (The automatic lock he keeps on his key ring- if that's what it's called). Well, to explain, he lives in an apartment complex in Chicago. When he parks his car behind his aparment (or between his building and the connecting one) his key lock won't work, it won't lock, or if it does, it won't unlock. Either way the key lock doesn't work. He tries to unlock the car with the key in the door but that sets the alarm off. It's frustrating for him and we both think that there could be some kind of interference from the surrounding buildings. It works everywhere but when he parks the car behind his apartment. But could that just be the problem? I know the people that live below him have a computer in the back room that over looks the parking area, and the buildings that connect to his have Wi-Fi, but I don't know if that's ALL that's causing the problem. If there's something wrong with the sensors or something else that's affecting it. Someone PLEASE let me know if there could be something else that could be wrong. Either reply here or e-mail (sagitarius12588@aol.com) Thanks so much!
  • the steering on my 04 deville seems extra stiff, is this normal?
  • dlc672dlc672 Posts: 1
    I checked the fuse for the interior lights. I think it feeds a relay that might be bad but I'm not sure where it's located. Anyone had this problem before? It's a 97 Coupe DeVille.
  • Sounds like your car may have the Retained Accessory Power(RAP)feature.
    Rap is designed to allow the radio, trunk lid, wipers,sunroof etc to be operated
    after the ignition switch has been turned to OFF. RAP continues for ten
    minutes or until a door has been opened. The main components of the RAP
    system are the Body control Module (PZM) which has controlled power relays,
    accessory time delay relay, and several fuses. Have these checked, they are
    probably on the left front of the passenger compartment, taped to the body harness. If one of these are bad it will drain your battery overnight.