Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WRX vs Mazdaspeed6

2»

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The Haldex is FWD based, and purely reactive, but it's one of the quicker part-time FWD based systems, at least.

I drove one and found the Speed6 a bit nose heavy for me. It was at Zoom Zoom Live.

I left there wanting an RX8 and a Miata, but the Speed6 didn't do much for me.

Discounts do make them a bargain, if you can find one left over.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    What are they running with discounts these days? 6MT or 5MT?

-mike
    Around here they sold the last few a while ago, but if you search hard enough you can still find a few. One of the former Subaru Crew guys picked one up cheap.

I heard stories of base models going for as little as $22k (!) though I wonder what the terms were. Still, mid $20s was easy to obtain, a great value.

The equipment level varies a lot. Base models compare to a non-Limited Legacy GT, and loaded ones go all the up to spec.B territory.
  • I picked up the '07 MS6 Sport afterall. It was around $23k and I got the floor mats, wheel locks, alarm sensor, and compass mirror, thrown in. Its a 6MT.

I agree the haldex lacks compared to the WRX AWD system (for manual tranny), but it does have a setting wheere if it feels you launch it immediatly does a 50/50 split. Whats cool is you can pull the ebrake which automatically disengages all power to the rear for rear biased drifting if you are so inclined. If you are skilled to do this, I would modify the ebrake to an english brake setup so it doesnt button lock on you. An for the price I got it for, I think the Split AWD is better than the Mazdaspeed3 FWD setup anyday. (and Mazda was running such horrible incentives on the MS3 that it would have cost me more to get the 3 than the 6!)

It is boosting at 2000RPM which is better than I expected. little lag compared to newer turbo cars like the audi and VW's, but definately better than some of the setups I've seen (like the Evo from a dead stop really dogs until it hits 3000RPMs...then the 20psi pushes it into warp speed).

Going to put a cold air intake on it though as the engine is being choked by the little box it has. Too bad the factory covered Mazdaspeed cold air intake is $325 + $225 install, whereas I could pick up an aftermarket one for $175 and put it on in about 10 minutes. Dont want to kill the warranty should the intake take out the MAF or something but on the other hand $550 for an intake is extreme!

Love the car though, a great daily driver for a boy racer that is growing up!

PS - dealer sticker on my was over $30k with an MSRP around $28k. I compared to the Spec-B up the steet that was $33K and the last EVO MR in the area that was $37k and nieth of them had anything more than loyalty credit (cause I own a mitsu) or a couple hundred here or there. The subie had a good lease offer though, but was still way more than I wanted to spend!

Lastly, C&D rated this at 5.4 0-60 and 14.1 (?) in the 1/4mi. not too shabby for the price, and can probably be better!

Sorry, one more note - only thing that really surprises me is how close the gear ratios are. My 3000GT is pretty close in the lower 3, but geez almighty, the power band falls out about 500-1k below redline (which I'm sure an intake would help remedy), and to run the 1/4 mi, I expect you would be all the way through 4th gear! Cant complain though, its the best bang for the buck with the way Mazda is pushing them right now, and for a mid sized sedan under $30k (and probably under 25k if you wheel and deal), its hard to beat! :shades:
    Holy cow, for $23k there is nothing that comes close. That is quite a deal...
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    I picked up the '07 MS6 Sport afterall. It was around $23k and I got the floor mats, wheel locks, alarm sensor, and compass mirror, thrown in. Its a 6MT.

Are you sure it was not a 06? There is only a $1000 rebate on the 07's. Dealer invoice on that vehicle is $26,428. You mean to tell me the dealer took a near $2,500 hit (far exceeds any incentive money the dealer gets from Mazda), and threw in a compass mirror and shock alarm sensor? I highly doubt that. I bet you have an '06.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,652
    Don't bet on it.

Bob
    That's an older 'chop, and a bit cartoonish if you ask me.

We might see fender flares like that, but the rest is just a guess that turned out to be wrong.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Anyone notice the error of a FMIC and a hood scoop? I think that was not noticed when making the crop.
    Yep. Rather blatant error if you think about it. I can't remember the last factory Subaru to use a FMIC.
    I am not sure there was ever a FMIC on a Subaru. Closest thing would be an Air-Water IC on some of the early subies.

-mike
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    Is it possible that it's a tranny cooler? Our MPV has one up front in about that location.

-Brian
    Doubtful, most MTs don't have tranny coolers. It could be the AC condenser but I think it's just a photochop anyway. Also I've never seen an ATF cooler that big!

-mike
2»
This discussion has been closed.