Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WRX vs Legacy GT Wagon

2»

Comments

• Any car you drive comes with si drive...it's called your right foot.

Stay out of the boost and you'll essentially be driving a normal 4 pot. I certainly wouldn't let that be deal breaker for not going with a car you liked more.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    The legacy is significantly smaller than the rest of the "mid-size" Maybe they need a full size, but they need something longer and wider than the legacy to keep biz. As I said they've lost at least 6-10 people I know who were die hard suby fans because they simply outgrew the legacy and SOA couldn't offer them something they wanted.

-mike
  • nightvznnightvzn Posts: 232
    Stay out of the boost and you'll essentially be driving a normal 4 pot.

I actually get noticeably worse mileage than a non-turbo Subaru in my WRX, even on long highway trips, but it's not too awful I guess. I think the turbo is always generating enough boost to affect efficiency, especially if you're cruising at 2500-3000 RPM's (highway speed). Granted it helps if one doesn't abuse it.

From what I've read, the problem with the Si drive is that it's more gimmick than useful technology and cannot be set to a default that doesn't partially cripples the car's output without giving much benefit.

So I think you're equally screwed with a turbo, Si drive or not. In that sense, I agree, it's not a deal breaker.
    Out of curiosity, do you know any Mazda fans who have suffered a similar fate? There's nothing in the Mazda stable bigger than the smallish midsize 6, other than various van and SUV-like things that are completely below my radar, so I don't even remember their names.

It seems both automakers aren't quite going for full mainstream market coverage.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,657
    No I haven't Ken. I'm not familiar with that stuff.

Bob
  • Now we're talking. Add a front LSD, a more powerful motor, keep the price near that vicinity and I'm all in. In a heart beat!
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    You may want to check it out, Bob. I've heard of people who have noticed a signifcant reduction in cabin noise. You do need to get under the carpeting and in the panels (ie. take apart your door) to apply. Can be done DIY or have someone (usually car audio shops) do it for you.

Ken
    Yup same problem with the Mazdas. I know more subie folks, but a few mazda people in the same boat. Also mazda doesn't offer anything unique like AWD across the line, so it's much easier for folks to depart from them, IMHO.

Subaru is striving to be the AWD leader, but if they don't offer a full line of cars, including a large AWD one it's hard for them to keep custys.

-mike
    Also mazda doesn't offer anything unique like AWD across the line, so it's much easier for folks to depart from them, IMHO.

Yea, Subaru has a pretty clearly defined trump card with their across-the-line AWD. I think Mazda is going for the "more fun to drive than the average car" factor, and I won't deny they're good at that, but Subaru and Nissan both play that angle too. It's a fairly crowded field.

I think that to be a Subaru owner in the first place, you have to get past the stigma that they are a funky SUWagon company (which doesn't bug me, but bugs some people I've talked to). With the current Impreza and Legacy, they've come a long way towards establishing some mainstream appeal, and the current Legacy and Tribeca are a clear move upscale. So I have to give them credit where it's due.

Maybe more surprises are in the cards.
  • aaykayaaykay Posts: 539
    I think one of the challenges that Subaru will face when it comes to interior room, is the "symmetrical drivetrain layout", which will mandate a huge front overhang and thus loss of interior space for a specific exterior size. The Accords and the Camrys will always hold a huge advantage over the Subaru, in terms of the largeness of the interior when factoring in the overall exterior size, unless they modify their key mantra of "symmetrical AWD drivetrain".
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    True, but the Accord and Camry are simply bigger, on longer wheelbases.

The Legacy is the size of an Acura TSX, which is smaller than the Accord.
    Also one of the key reasons I haven't gone to the EVO or most of the other AWD w/FWD Based cars is that they have a transversely mounted engine. I like symetrical, heck all my cars have symetrical setups, either RWD or AWD.

-mike
2»
This discussion has been closed.