Mazda 5 vs Kia Rondo

204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
edited August 2014 in Mazda
Saturday I stumbled upon a rather nice looking mini-minivan at the Kia dealer they had just received. It is called the Ronda. The very spacious interior layout was looked great, power is a 2.4L engine, & it had a full suite of safety features including 6 airbags, ABS, traction control, & dynamic stability control all for a little over $18K. My inital impression was very positive.

I had not heard of this model & apparently the is very little info on the US model (tried Goggle). After a little hunting I discovered that this car is marketed as the "Carens" in the UK. It is available there with a 2.0 gas or diesel engine. UK reviews, while not bad, are lukewarm when compared to the Mazda5 and the comparable Renault and Vauxal models. Hard not to envy the European's wide selection choices of efficient vehicles!

Apparently they are just starting to arrive & Kia has not yet launched any advertising. Time will tell how well it can compete in the US.

Comments

• aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    The Ronda may indeed "steal" sales from the Mazda5.
    Why?
    At least the Ronda comes fully equipped with traction/dynamic stability control...something the 5 doesn't even have as an option, at least for now.
    I do have this strong feeling though that the 2008 version of the 5 will have traction/stability control, as the '07 Mazda3 now has as an option (I believe) on its upper level versions.

Peace! :)
  • kandor71kandor71 Member Posts: 8
    Not to be a spell checker
    It is called the RONDO not RONDA

And you can't compare the quality between the 2, I will put any Mazda product against any Hyundai/Kia any day and it will come out on top.

Look at the depreciation on H/K products compared to Mazda

H/K are definitely improving but still not near as good as Mazda
  • d_hyperd_hyper Member Posts: 130
    A rising tide will lift all the boats. You will see Mz5 sales actually growing after Rondo's introduction. Of course, this is IF my marketing knowledge is worth anything.
  • rockyteerockytee Member Posts: 35
    Look at the depreciation on H/K products compared to Mazda
    Mazda's MPV depreciate just as much as H/K. Maybe Ford's parts has something to do with it..... not being reliable.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Actually, I was thinking the same thing. It's like the Honda Fit and Versa will increase the visibility of the subcompacts and get others looking the subcompact category in general, where-as before they might not have considered them.

Similar with the Rondo, if you had other micro-minivans out there, then there would be more visibility for the micro-minivan category, so more people would consider them as an option to a full-size minivan, where-as right now with only the Mazda5, I don't think it's even considered as a full-size minivan substitute because it's hard to get a lot of visibility to the micro-minivan category with only one vehicle in that category.
  • yysyysyysyys Member Posts: 51
    2.4L(4cyl) Auto 2WD 21/29
    2.7L(6cyl) Auto 2WD 20/27

Source: epa.gav
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    Couple of pics up on Kia Canada's website now....
    http://www.kia.ca/home.asp?lang=en
    plus a preview article on the Auto123/Canadian Automotive Network site....
    http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/roadtest,view,KIA.spy?artid=72406

Mazda better hurry up and get a 5 speed auto in the 5.
    Also traction and stability control, which the Rondo has.
    Rondo (Carens in UK) is rated to tow 700kg (1500 lbs) (1500kg(3300 lbs) if the trailer has brakes)....if this holds true for our version, then it's a done deal, as the '5' isn't rated to tow diddlysquat. (Don't want to tow a horsetrailer but a jet ski/snow machine/14' aluminum fishing boat/dirt bike or small utility trailer would be nice. Hey Mazda...even a Yaris/Echo can tow 800 lbs!)
  • dagmar3dagmar3 Member Posts: 8
    The major difference between the two is that the 5 has sliding minivan doors and the Rondo has swinging station wagon doors. I prefer the utility of the sliding doors myself, but they do lead to more road noise entering the cabin. That's why I had my 5 blanketed with Dynamat.
    what's dynamat?
  • yysyysyysyys Member Posts: 51
    EX, LX & LX Popular Equipment.
    link
    If the info holds true (from the Winnipeg Free Press review)
    then the Rondo will be able to tow a 1000kg un-braked trailer (either with the 4 cyl or V6) or 1500 kg for the 4 cyl if the trailer has brakes and 2000 kg for the V6 if the trailer has brakes. Take that, Mazda5, as you can't tow squat. This fact alone would push me over to a Rondo instead of a Mazda5.
  • dcdingodcdingo Member Posts: 21
    Wow. Look at the roof rails. And towing capacity! I think our 5 is a stylish ride for the occasional six people but Kia may have created a true compact multi-activity vehicle with this Rondo. Good for them. Wake up Mazda. IMO Mazda should have brought the Eurorails to the US in the first place and offered some modest towing, as, again, Mazda does in Europe.
    You can't compare a Mazda 5 w/ a Kia Rondo.
    Hyundai/Kia make reliable cars, but where are they in 5-10 years?
    Mazdas last, and I don't mean Ford/Mazdas, true Mazdas, the Mazda 3& 5 are 2 of the best cars on the road.
    H/K don't have anything on them, they have to market their cars with huge warranties and incentives just like GM/Ford/Chrysler just to get cars off their lots.
    While Mazda can't keep the 5 on the lot.
    This is a mazda board, not a Kia crap board.
    To all of you Kia lovers move on.
    If you have a Mazda, sell it buy your Kia and live with it.
    When you are on the side of the road I will be laughing.
  • dcdingodcdingo Member Posts: 21
    Yep, I've rented some dreadful Kias over the years. But they continue to improve and here's the thing: The Rondo has features that could attract people downsizing from both full-size vans and medium SUVs. I think racks and some towing capacity are key to those of us coming Subaru Outbacks and similar vehicles while others prize features like stability and traction control. Mazda could have done that too. And maybe they will if they read these forums. I'm giving some credit to Kia for more fully exploring the concept of the small, six-seater utility vehicle. Happy as I am with my Mazda 5 it urks me that I've had to hang on to another vehicle to tow my small boat.
    but the thread is "Mazda5 vs Kia Rondo", so I think we should be able to discuss the Kia product here. I'm not a Kia lover, have never owned or rented a Kia vehicle, or even driven in one for that matter, but we have had Mazda's in the family. My general perception is, however, that both Kia & Hyundai have made huge improvements in there vehicles in the last couple of years and can't simply be dismissed based on past reputation. And lets face it, Mazda, though respectable, hasn't actually been sitting at the top of the reliability charts. That being said, I think there are positives and negatives for both vehicles.
    Styling.....have to give the nod to the '5', despite my intense dislike of the side-sills and tuner tail lights, though the Rondo apparently looks better in person than in photos.
    Interior space...the Kia is slightly roomier in every dimension, save for cargo space behind the 3rd row, which quite frankly, neither of these vehicles would win an award for. The Mazda's 3rd row is a bit more accessible, due to the walk-through, and looks more accomodating for adults, though I think we would all agree that the 3rd row in either of these vehicles is best left for kids or maybe your mother-in-law. The 5's sliders are handier than the Rondo's regular doors, at the expense of the ugly door tracks on the exterior of the vehicle.
    Power....Kia has the edge with both their 4 cyl and V6, while enjoying a slight edge in fuel economy as well. Kia cheaped out with a 4 speed auto on their 4 cyl, but they do have a 5-soeed auto on the six. Mazda has the edge in having a manual transmission available, though even if Kia offered one, I doubt it could match Mazda's shift quality.
    Kia certainly seems to have the edge in safety features (full compliment of airbags, traction & stability control)
    as well as comfort & convenience (leather, heated seats roof rack etc.) and it's priced competitively as well.
    Handling would probably go to the Mazda, thought the Kia reviewers were quite impressed with the way it handled.
    Towing is the kicker for me, as the 5 isn't rated to tow but the Rondo has quite respectable tow ratings.
    Final verdicts will have to wait until extensive test drives etc. but this is how I see them stacking up so far.
    Based on what I see for the Rondo, I'd vote for the Rondo because you can put a carseat in the middle of the second row, which is the safest place. Plus I think that space between the 2nd row seats is wasted. It's easier to access the 3rd row by folding the 2nd row anyway.

Plus the styling of the Mazda 5 (especially the rear) looks too much like it was designed for teens. I think the Mazda5 Sport package should include the "tuner" exterior mods, while the Touring version should be styled for adults.
  • andrewheandrewhe Member Posts: 5
    While having a middle seat in the second row would be desirable for the reason you mentioned, keep in mind that you would not be able to access the 3rd row by folding down a seat in the 2nd row, if both 2nd row seats had car seats on them. For anyone with 2 car seats in the 2nd row, you really need a space between the 2nd row seats to quickly and easily access the 3rd row.
  • fred222fred222 Member Posts: 200
    It appears that the Kia Rondo comes only with automatic transmissions 4 and 5 speed. I have been looking at the Mazda 5 specifically because it is available with a manual trans.
    Mazda 5 should offer a 5 speed auto which does appear to be available on the V6 Kia. I can see the larger engine and 5 speed auto pushing many buyers to the Kia from the Mazda. I was hoping that the Kia would also have a manual trans. No such luck.
    Kia cheaped out with a 4 speed auto on their 4 cyl, but they do have a 5-soeed auto on the six.

Mazda offers only a 4 speed auto and only a 4 cylinder engine.
  • jtzjtz Member Posts: 37
    The past five years and more I have seen Kia's. The first generation sportage and the Sephia still on the roads today. I even see 01' Rios and Spectras Optimas and first generation Sedonas. Now it's almost 07' making 01 nearly six years.

Now, About the Rondo and the Mazda 5, all I have to say is this the Rondo has been out far longer than Mazda 5. In case people forgot, the Rondo is in its 3rd generation. It seems to me that every generation this model seems to be leaving the compact mini-van and getting closer to the crossover. I know that the Rondo will sa-cee'd (if you know what I mean).
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Drove a Rondo yesterday. There are some negative comments on other boards because of a Canadian review with pictures that showed an ugly, washed out, monochromatic gray interior. In person, the car is actually better looking. Nicer interior than Pontiac/Toyota twins or Caliber by far. Drove both it and Optima 4 back to back. Didn't notice that they had different auto. transmissions but it was just a quick around town drive.

All in all I like this vehicle a lot. Seems less mini-van-y than the 5, although I want to drive the Mazda as well. Used to have a Plymouth Colt Vista (first generation, mid-eighties). The Rondo is like that car updated. Really like all the glass, something that is missing on so many modern cars.

Fiance is looking for a vehicle in next few months. Rondo will be on short list. Biggest problem is who wants to be the early bird buying a Kia product when you know they'll have a large rebate on it in six months.
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    I saw a Seattle dealer ad for a Rondo (probably 1 only) with a $1000 dealer discount. Kia also has a $500 Kia loyalty discount on Rondos. I have sat in one yet to drive one. I agree that they look much better in person than on in pictures of various reviews. Interior space & layout is exceptional IMHO.

If I were currently in the market for versatile, spacious, comfortable, economical vehicle this would be the one to beat. It is like an expanded Fit & Versa. I have already recommended it to several people who are in the market for such a rig. In fact I think it is a good buy at MSRP, but naturally we all want a better deal!

Having had an Elantra GT I have no qualms about Hyundai/Kia quality & I was able to sell it for a quickly for only $3000 less than I paid for it 3 years earlier. So the world is starting to reconize that these Korean cars are good ones!
  • dakota29803dakota29803 Member Posts: 56
    I never heard of a Kia Rondo before I saw an ad in Friday's paper. I read several articles on the web and today went over to the Kia dealer to see if I liked it in person. I did and bought an EX.
    WOW Dakota, that was quick; you are one decisive fellow! Congratulations, Did you get the V6 (only engine offered in the EX?)? I suspect you are really gonna like your like your new rig! What things were the deal makers for you? Please keep us posted on you impressions and experiences with your new Rondo, including fuel milage after it is broken in.
    How does the interior quality seem to you in person because it's really hard to tell from photos. Does it seem solid inside? Also from the photos, the space behind the 3rd row looks smaller than the Mazda5. Can you fit anything back there? I would like a small 3 row vehicle, but I would want to be able to put some things behind the 3rd row, and it would be good to be able to fit a car seat (forward facing or rearward facing) in the 3rd row too. Also, what sort of MPG are you getting?

I currently have a Ford Freestyle, but it's 200" long and 74" wide, so it's not quite as bigas a minivan, but I'd rather have something a little more narrow and shorter, and have it get aroudnd 30mpg. But on the occasions that I do need to use all three rows, I want to have a least some place to put the kid stuff!
    I had a 2004 Jeep Liberty, which was fine, but I still had the urge for a new car. The area behind the seat was smaller than I wanted, and I had to remove the rear seat headrests to lower the seat. The space behind the Rondo's seat is much larger and the seats can be lowered to a flat floor without removing the headrests.

My EX is the in line 4.

I think the interior quality is as good or better than anything in a lower priced car. It has the cloth upholstery. The doorslams with a good solid "THUD."

I cannot comment on the three row version, because I have not seen one, but I imagine that there is very little volume behind the third seat.
    >>I had a 2004 Jeep Liberty<< Interesting. My daughter also has a Liberty & the my 1st thought when I saw the Rondo was "this would be a great replacement for the Liberty." I too thought that the space utilization of the Rondo was much better that the Liberty. How does the ride comfort, driving easy, acceleration and handling compare with the Libery. I would expect the your gas consumption will go dow 30-40%. Please keep us posted.
    My only concern about the driving comfort is that while I am slightly under 6' tall, I have long legs and I feel that the leg room is less than perfect (but I love the "dead pedal".) The head room is fantastic. The driving and acceleration are very good (acceleration is obviously less than the Liberty, but more than adequate so far). I feel the handling is better than the Liberty. The Jeep has a very twitchy feeling on the road which the Rondo does not.
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    Basic info
    Rondoism
    Brochure request

[I posted this also to the Kia Carens / Rondo board]
    By the specs, it looks like the Rondo has better legroom in the 3rd row, but the Mazda5 has better headroom. 35" of headroom (Rondo) seems pretty low to me, but then the Rondo has 38" in row 2 and 31" in row 3 vs 35"/30" legroom for the Mazda5 in rows 2 & 3. Both have about the same behind the 3rd row.
  • herotakesafallherotakesafall Member Posts: 103
    You're also gonna get a LOT better gas mileage in your Rondo.
    This car's on the top of my must-list now. It's basically exactly what I need (in the 5-passenger version). The base with A/C is more than enough (which it would have an aux jack though), but that EX + sunroof is so tempting...
  • spectramanspectraman Member Posts: 255
    Hey Kandor:

Look at the freakin' subject line of this thread before you go blasting KIA owners en masse. Yes.... this thread claims to offer discourse related to the comparison of the Mazda5 to the KIA Rondo. Sorry, but the "KIA Rondo's are a piece of #$%#" thread is two clicks down to the left.

My 2004.5 Spectra's been the most trouble-free new car I've ever owned (I'm 40+). It has nearly 30k+ miles on it, and is as tight as a drum and running fine.

So while I can appreciate your fondness for Mazdas, you can take your "When you (KIA owners) are on the side of the road I will be laughing" comment and stuff it.

As Hans said in Star Wars...."Laugh it up fuzzball". Something tells me that it will be KIA owners doing the laughing.... all the way to the bank!

-SM
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I couldn't agree with you more. I am on my second new Kia in a row(2001 Kia Sportage 4x4 with 123,900 miles and counting)and when the Sportage 4x4 finally gives up(whenever that might be)I'm gonna probably choose another new Kia.

My two Kia's have rode and handled very well and cost very, very low amounts of money to maintain them. Quality of the Kia auto product just improves year over year.

It looks like Kia is winning in this thread's comparo, too. As far as ride, handling and space utilization go.

How do the two stack up cost-wise? I haven't seen them compared for initial price as far as I know, anyway.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Just curious, but if you only need the 5pass version, there are a lot of other 5 door cars out there to choose from (Matrix, Versa, Mazda 3, Fit, Focus, etc...). For me it's the 3rd row that makes this unique ouside of the Mazda5.
    Over the past several months I have considered all of the above plus more (e.g., Caliber). For reasons of size, price or looks I rejected them all. When I went over and looked at the Rondo, it rang my bell. To me that advantage of the Rondo having a third row is the space it gives me when it is not installed. (and I don't want to be the one to remove and store it as in the Caravan) And yes I wish it had the auxiliary jack, but I have been making MP3 CD's and can live without the aux MP3 player.
  • rockyteerockytee Member Posts: 35
    I wonder how you access the spare tire on the Rondo. Is it from inside or underneath the car?
    Does it have arm rest for the driver and passenger up front?
    Do the 2nd row seats fold flat and does it recline?
    Thanks
    I wonder how you access the spare tire on the Rondo. Is it from inside or underneath the car?
    Does it have arm rest for the driver and passenger up front?
    Do the 2nd row seats fold flat and does it recline?

I don't know for sure on the spare tire. There's a picture here: Rondo rear storage compartment that seems to suggest that there would not be much space to put the spare in from the inside, so I would guess that it's most likely from underneath.

Armrest: yes. 2nd row fold flat: yes (after removing headrests).
    Go to the Kia website I linked above, and find the interior pictures. They show the armrest & what the 2nd row looks like folded flat.
    The spare tire is carried under the car. You access it from the cubby in the back where the tire changing tools are located. You remove a plug and then insert a changing tool and crank the tire down. It is a mini-spare.

Yes there is one arm rest for the driver and passenger. It is adequate (not like the Rio5).

Second row seats fold flat and recline.
    You do not have to remove the headrests to fold the second row flat!
  • edf4edf4 Member Posts: 65
    Okay, I know this thread is entitled Mazda5 v. Kia Rondo, but it has become more of a Kia thread than a comparison thread. To bring it back to the Mazda5, I have owned a Mazda5 for a year and it is among the best vehicle I have ever owned, (though my 1995 Subaru is better in the snow). The 5 carries my family of four, a labrador retriever, and a weekend's worth of gear no problem. It regularly gets 28 - 30 mpg on the highway on regular gas, drives more like a sports car than a micro-van, has unique styling, (unlike the Rondo's boring vanilla SUV/wagon look), easy ingress/egress with the rear sliding doors as opposed to swing out rear doors, (especially helpful in tight parking lots), and has held up stupendously against the wear and tear two young boys and an often wet dog can impose on a new vehicle.

Perhaps the Kia Rondo is better for some of you. If it is, that is terrific: I suggest you go sing its praise in Kia's forum. If you want to compare it to the M5, then compare it, but I'm sure others, like me, are not interested in reading numerous posts from Rondo owners in a forum for the Mazda5.
    Interesting point of view. I don't think there is a vast difference between the styling of the Mazda 5 and ther rest of the small 5 door hatchbacks. I like the Rondo's treatment better. YMMV

If the host does not want the Rondo discussed except in a direct comparison with the Mazda, he should make that clear.
    Yes there is one arm rest for the driver and passenger. It is adequate (not like the Rio5).

When I test drove a Mazda 5, my son noted no arm rest for the front passenger and it REALLY bugged him. I did not like that neither of the middle seats had arm rests on the doors. Little things, but if you are going to own a vehicle for a while, little things can add up.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I assume we have some potential chat attendees here in this discussion! :P

Be sure to mark your calendar and come tonext Wednesday's chat with the CEO of Kia.

Learn more about it here...
    http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/kiachat12062006.html

These guest chats are always interesting. It's your chance to ask the questions you always wanted to!
    The January issue of Motor Trend magazine (Car of the Year issue) makes some comparisons between the Rondo and the Mazda5. On one hand it states: "Dynamically, [the Rondo is] inferior to the Mazda5, and it needs about a second more for 0-to-60 mph, although the Kia easily keeps up with the smaller Dodge Caliber. It's also a couple-grand less than the Mazda." On the other hand: "...[W]e find the Rondo better suited for its purpose than the Mazda5."
    Okay, I know this thread is entitled Mazda5 v. Kia Rondo, but it has become more of a Kia thread than a comparison thread.

Perhaps the Kia Rondo is better for some of you. If it is, that is terrific: I suggest you go sing its praise in Kia's forum. If you want to compare it to the M5, then compare it, but I'm sure others, like me, are not interested in reading numerous posts from Rondo owners in a forum for the Mazda5."

A few comments:
    1. This is one of the only two currently listed forums for the Rondo (the other is as a "future vehicle").
    2. The Rondo was officially North American premiered on Thursday, i.e. 2 days ago. No info on the Kia website was available until that day.
    3. There's been a flood of new info in the past few days about the Rondo, and maybe I missed something, but perhaps no new info on the 5 in the past few days.
    4. So for those of us interested in comparing the 2 vehicles (which I am), there has been the chance to spread a great deal of more info about one of them, to hopefully make a more informed comparison. So I think that's why the new posts are Rondo dominated.

5. In my mind, the true comparison between the 2 vehicles will not be possible but for a couple of months, because, IIUC, only the 5 passenger Rondo is available right now.

6. I truly hope Mazda sees this as competition and does the following:
    A. Adds stability control and side curtain airbags as standard. (wouldn't mind TPMS either)
    B. Returns to their 2006 bumper-to-bumper warranty, with the new FMC standard for longer powertrain warranty.
    C. Offers a V6 with at least 5 speed auto transmission. (I'd probably take the old 1.8 V6 from the MX3, but there's probably something even easier to fit in there)
    All of these are available on the Kia.

7. With respect to your particular comment:
    I'm sure others, like me, are not interested in reading numerous posts from Rondo owners in a forum for the Mazda5, I'm not really surprised to find information on a Kia Rondo in a forum entitled "Mazda 5 vs. Kia Rondo". If I was really not interested in reading about the Kia Rondo, I don't think I would be reading posts in a forum entitled "Mazda 5 vs. Kia Rondo".
  • tinyguytinyguy Member Posts: 44
    I for one, like this thread. As an owner of a large minivan, and having been driven them for the past 10 years or so, I am beginning to think that they are somewhat of an overkill for what I need. I have two girls, 10 and 6. Most of the time, we don't use the 3rd row seat, and even worse, we opt to use our 2nd car (Honda Civic) to conserve fuel... :blush:

I am seriously considering either 5 or Rondo. I would have purchased 5 earlier this year if it wasn't for the fact that they missed some serious features on that van.

Those include:
    - Not so impressive fuel consumption. Considering that it uses smaller 4 banger and a lighter body, this number should be a lot better. Mazda never has been good at producing thrifty cars IMO.
    - Performance at full load. Both of these could be partially addressed if they introduce 5 speed auto.
    - Lack of arm rests at key places... Such a simple fix that they continue to ignore in 2007 models... Sigh...
    - 17" tires! Personally I would have preferred slightly less performance oriented tires on their GT model. Since I live in Toronto region, I need winter tires as well. I still dont know if it can use 15 rims for winter tires - no one can confirm if this is possible. :cry:

5 has many things going for it. Mazda, fix the above and I will seriously consider buying 5. Until then, 5 is off my list.

Then here comes Rondo. Wow. It immediately addresses my engine/transmission/tire related complaints. More power and more fuel economical. Even a small V6 option.

Some problems with Rondo for me:
    - I like sliding doors. I never have to worry about my kids crushing my door/next car when parked.
    - I like the gap between the two seats in the second row. My kids are young enough that they can easily pass through to 3rd row using this space. No need to tumble 2nd row seats when we have more than 4 people.
    - My kids like the minivan feel inside inc. captain seats on the 2nd row. 5 fells more minivanish than Rondo from 2nd/3rd row views.

At this point, I have a slight preference on Rondo over 5. Heck, I may even opt for the fully equiped v6 version, which is still more economical than full size minivan and a good deal cheaper.

This is all on paper. I need to check in person, my dealer tells me one is arriving in few days. I'm also curious to see what kind of financial deals they may offer.
    17" tires! Personally I would have preferred slightly less performance oriented tires on their GT model. Since I live in Toronto region, I need winter tires as well. I still dont know if it can use 15 rims for winter tires - no one can confirm if this is possible.
    The 17" wheels was a big problem that I had while looking at the Mazda 5. I researched this a little. The Mazda 5 is based on the Mazda 3 which comes stock with 15", 16" or 17" wheels depending on the package. I would guess that any of these wheels would fit the mazda 5, but you would have to try it to see. I did not want to buy a new vehicle and have to go through the hassle of changing the wheels and tires. I think that Mazda should at least offer 16" wheels as an option on the Mazda 5. Everyone knows this is not a sports car, but a mini mini van! Tire it appropriately.
  • tinyguytinyguy Member Posts: 44
    The 17" wheels was a big problem that I had while looking at the Mazda 5. I researched this a little. The Mazda 5 is based on the Mazda 3 which comes stock with 15", 16" or 17" wheels depending on the package. I would guess that any of these wheels would fit the mazda 5, but you would have to try it to see. I did not want to buy a new vehicle and have to go through the hassle of changing the wheels and tires. I think that Mazda should at least offer 16" wheels as an option on the Mazda 5. Everyone knows this is not a sports car, but a mini mini van! Tire it appropriately.

The thing I am concerned about are the breaks - I remember reading while back whether 15inch rim would be able to handle the breaks in 5 (which I assume are bigger than the ones in 3). I guess 16inch rims would fit on GT unless if they use completely different system on GT vs GS. Ideal would be to get a 15 (or even 14inch) rims and get the equivalent diameter tires on narower trim.

I agree 16 inch should be an option.

I just read further on Rondo - their high end models (the trim level that comes with 3 rows of seats) also come with only 17inch wheels! Grrr I hope theirs is not as high profile as 5, otherwise I'm gonna have to face similar problem on Rondo.
This discussion has been closed.