Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 5 vs Kia Rondo

Comments

• dbtdbt Posts: 298
    Basic info
    Rondoism
    Brochure request

[I posted this also to the Kia Carens / Rondo board]
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    By the specs, it looks like the Rondo has better legroom in the 3rd row, but the Mazda5 has better headroom. 35" of headroom (Rondo) seems pretty low to me, but then the Rondo has 38" in row 2 and 31" in row 3 vs 35"/30" legroom for the Mazda5 in rows 2 & 3. Both have about the same behind the 3rd row.
  • You're also gonna get a LOT better gas mileage in your Rondo.
    This car's on the top of my must-list now. It's basically exactly what I need (in the 5-passenger version). The base with A/C is more than enough (which it would have an aux jack though), but that EX + sunroof is so tempting...
  • Hey Kandor:

Look at the freakin' subject line of this thread before you go blasting KIA owners en masse. Yes.... this thread claims to offer discourse related to the comparison of the Mazda5 to the KIA Rondo. Sorry, but the "KIA Rondo's are a piece of #$%#" thread is two clicks down to the left.

My 2004.5 Spectra's been the most trouble-free new car I've ever owned (I'm 40+). It has nearly 30k+ miles on it, and is as tight as a drum and running fine.

So while I can appreciate your fondness for Mazdas, you can take your "When you (KIA owners) are on the side of the road I will be laughing" comment and stuff it.

As Hans said in Star Wars...."Laugh it up fuzzball". Something tells me that it will be KIA owners doing the laughing.... all the way to the bank!

-SM
  • I couldn't agree with you more. I am on my second new Kia in a row(2001 Kia Sportage 4x4 with 123,900 miles and counting)and when the Sportage 4x4 finally gives up(whenever that might be)I'm gonna probably choose another new Kia.

My two Kia's have rode and handled very well and cost very, very low amounts of money to maintain them. Quality of the Kia auto product just improves year over year.

It looks like Kia is winning in this thread's comparo, too. As far as ride, handling and space utilization go.

How do the two stack up cost-wise? I haven't seen them compared for initial price as far as I know, anyway.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    Just curious, but if you only need the 5pass version, there are a lot of other 5 door cars out there to choose from (Matrix, Versa, Mazda 3, Fit, Focus, etc...). For me it's the 3rd row that makes this unique ouside of the Mazda5.
  • Over the past several months I have considered all of the above plus more (e.g., Caliber). For reasons of size, price or looks I rejected them all. When I went over and looked at the Rondo, it rang my bell. To me that advantage of the Rondo having a third row is the space it gives me when it is not installed. (and I don't want to be the one to remove and store it as in the Caravan) And yes I wish it had the auxiliary jack, but I have been making MP3 CD's and can live without the aux MP3 player.
  • I wonder how you access the spare tire on the Rondo. Is it from inside or underneath the car?
    Does it have arm rest for the driver and passenger up front?
    Do the 2nd row seats fold flat and does it recline?
    Thanks
    I wonder how you access the spare tire on the Rondo. Is it from inside or underneath the car?
    Does it have arm rest for the driver and passenger up front?
    Do the 2nd row seats fold flat and does it recline?

I don't know for sure on the spare tire. There's a picture here: Rondo rear storage compartment that seems to suggest that there would not be much space to put the spare in from the inside, so I would guess that it's most likely from underneath.

Armrest: yes. 2nd row fold flat: yes (after removing headrests).
    Go to the Kia website I linked above, and find the interior pictures. They show the armrest & what the 2nd row looks like folded flat.
  • The spare tire is carried under the car. You access it from the cubby in the back where the tire changing tools are located. You remove a plug and then insert a changing tool and crank the tire down. It is a mini-spare.

Yes there is one arm rest for the driver and passenger. It is adequate (not like the Rio5).

Second row seats fold flat and recline.
  • You do not have to remove the headrests to fold the second row flat!
  • edf4edf4 Posts: 65
    Okay, I know this thread is entitled Mazda5 v. Kia Rondo, but it has become more of a Kia thread than a comparison thread. To bring it back to the Mazda5, I have owned a Mazda5 for a year and it is among the best vehicle I have ever owned, (though my 1995 Subaru is better in the snow). The 5 carries my family of four, a labrador retriever, and a weekend's worth of gear no problem. It regularly gets 28 - 30 mpg on the highway on regular gas, drives more like a sports car than a micro-van, has unique styling, (unlike the Rondo's boring vanilla SUV/wagon look), easy ingress/egress with the rear sliding doors as opposed to swing out rear doors, (especially helpful in tight parking lots), and has held up stupendously against the wear and tear two young boys and an often wet dog can impose on a new vehicle.

Perhaps the Kia Rondo is better for some of you. If it is, that is terrific: I suggest you go sing its praise in Kia's forum. If you want to compare it to the M5, then compare it, but I'm sure others, like me, are not interested in reading numerous posts from Rondo owners in a forum for the Mazda5.
  • Interesting point of view. I don't think there is a vast difference between the styling of the Mazda 5 and ther rest of the small 5 door hatchbacks. I like the Rondo's treatment better. YMMV

If the host does not want the Rondo discussed except in a direct comparison with the Mazda, he should make that clear.
  • fred222fred222 Posts: 200
    Yes there is one arm rest for the driver and passenger. It is adequate (not like the Rio5).

When I test drove a Mazda 5, my son noted no arm rest for the front passenger and it REALLY bugged him. I did not like that neither of the middle seats had arm rests on the doors. Little things, but if you are going to own a vehicle for a while, little things can add up.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,868
    I assume we have some potential chat attendees here in this discussion! :P

Be sure to mark your calendar and come tonext Wednesday's chat with the CEO of Kia.

Learn more about it here...
    http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/kiachat12062006.html

These guest chats are always interesting. It's your chance to ask the questions you always wanted to!

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• The January issue of Motor Trend magazine (Car of the Year issue) makes some comparisons between the Rondo and the Mazda5. On one hand it states: "Dynamically, [the Rondo is] inferior to the Mazda5, and it needs about a second more for 0-to-60 mph, although the Kia easily keeps up with the smaller Dodge Caliber. It's also a couple-grand less than the Mazda." On the other hand: "...[W]e find the Rondo better suited for its purpose than the Mazda5."
    Okay, I know this thread is entitled Mazda5 v. Kia Rondo, but it has become more of a Kia thread than a comparison thread.

Perhaps the Kia Rondo is better for some of you. If it is, that is terrific: I suggest you go sing its praise in Kia's forum. If you want to compare it to the M5, then compare it, but I'm sure others, like me, are not interested in reading numerous posts from Rondo owners in a forum for the Mazda5."

A few comments:
    1. This is one of the only two currently listed forums for the Rondo (the other is as a "future vehicle").
    2. The Rondo was officially North American premiered on Thursday, i.e. 2 days ago. No info on the Kia website was available until that day.
    3. There's been a flood of new info in the past few days about the Rondo, and maybe I missed something, but perhaps no new info on the 5 in the past few days.
    4. So for those of us interested in comparing the 2 vehicles (which I am), there has been the chance to spread a great deal of more info about one of them, to hopefully make a more informed comparison. So I think that's why the new posts are Rondo dominated.

5. In my mind, the true comparison between the 2 vehicles will not be possible but for a couple of months, because, IIUC, only the 5 passenger Rondo is available right now.

6. I truly hope Mazda sees this as competition and does the following:
    A. Adds stability control and side curtain airbags as standard. (wouldn't mind TPMS either)
    B. Returns to their 2006 bumper-to-bumper warranty, with the new FMC standard for longer powertrain warranty.
    C. Offers a V6 with at least 5 speed auto transmission. (I'd probably take the old 1.8 V6 from the MX3, but there's probably something even easier to fit in there)
    All of these are available on the Kia.

7. With respect to your particular comment:
    I'm sure others, like me, are not interested in reading numerous posts from Rondo owners in a forum for the Mazda5, I'm not really surprised to find information on a Kia Rondo in a forum entitled "Mazda 5 vs. Kia Rondo". If I was really not interested in reading about the Kia Rondo, I don't think I would be reading posts in a forum entitled "Mazda 5 vs. Kia Rondo".
  • I for one, like this thread. As an owner of a large minivan, and having been driven them for the past 10 years or so, I am beginning to think that they are somewhat of an overkill for what I need. I have two girls, 10 and 6. Most of the time, we don't use the 3rd row seat, and even worse, we opt to use our 2nd car (Honda Civic) to conserve fuel... :blush:

I am seriously considering either 5 or Rondo. I would have purchased 5 earlier this year if it wasn't for the fact that they missed some serious features on that van.

Those include:
    - Not so impressive fuel consumption. Considering that it uses smaller 4 banger and a lighter body, this number should be a lot better. Mazda never has been good at producing thrifty cars IMO.
    - Performance at full load. Both of these could be partially addressed if they introduce 5 speed auto.
    - Lack of arm rests at key places... Such a simple fix that they continue to ignore in 2007 models... Sigh...
    - 17" tires! Personally I would have preferred slightly less performance oriented tires on their GT model. Since I live in Toronto region, I need winter tires as well. I still dont know if it can use 15 rims for winter tires - no one can confirm if this is possible. :cry:

5 has many things going for it. Mazda, fix the above and I will seriously consider buying 5. Until then, 5 is off my list.

Then here comes Rondo. Wow. It immediately addresses my engine/transmission/tire related complaints. More power and more fuel economical. Even a small V6 option.

Some problems with Rondo for me:
    - I like sliding doors. I never have to worry about my kids crushing my door/next car when parked.
    - I like the gap between the two seats in the second row. My kids are young enough that they can easily pass through to 3rd row using this space. No need to tumble 2nd row seats when we have more than 4 people.
    - My kids like the minivan feel inside inc. captain seats on the 2nd row. 5 fells more minivanish than Rondo from 2nd/3rd row views.

At this point, I have a slight preference on Rondo over 5. Heck, I may even opt for the fully equiped v6 version, which is still more economical than full size minivan and a good deal cheaper.

This is all on paper. I need to check in person, my dealer tells me one is arriving in few days. I'm also curious to see what kind of financial deals they may offer.
    17" tires! Personally I would have preferred slightly less performance oriented tires on their GT model. Since I live in Toronto region, I need winter tires as well. I still dont know if it can use 15 rims for winter tires - no one can confirm if this is possible.
    The 17" wheels was a big problem that I had while looking at the Mazda 5. I researched this a little. The Mazda 5 is based on the Mazda 3 which comes stock with 15", 16" or 17" wheels depending on the package. I would guess that any of these wheels would fit the mazda 5, but you would have to try it to see. I did not want to buy a new vehicle and have to go through the hassle of changing the wheels and tires. I think that Mazda should at least offer 16" wheels as an option on the Mazda 5. Everyone knows this is not a sports car, but a mini mini van! Tire it appropriately.
  • The 17" wheels was a big problem that I had while looking at the Mazda 5. I researched this a little. The Mazda 5 is based on the Mazda 3 which comes stock with 15", 16" or 17" wheels depending on the package. I would guess that any of these wheels would fit the mazda 5, but you would have to try it to see. I did not want to buy a new vehicle and have to go through the hassle of changing the wheels and tires. I think that Mazda should at least offer 16" wheels as an option on the Mazda 5. Everyone knows this is not a sports car, but a mini mini van! Tire it appropriately.

The thing I am concerned about are the breaks - I remember reading while back whether 15inch rim would be able to handle the breaks in 5 (which I assume are bigger than the ones in 3). I guess 16inch rims would fit on GT unless if they use completely different system on GT vs GS. Ideal would be to get a 15 (or even 14inch) rims and get the equivalent diameter tires on narower trim.

I agree 16 inch should be an option.

I just read further on Rondo - their high end models (the trim level that comes with 3 rows of seats) also come with only 17inch wheels! Grrr I hope theirs is not as high profile as 5, otherwise I'm gonna have to face similar problem on Rondo.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Posts: 569
    I guess we should get someone to set up a Rondo-only thread on the Kia board, but I feel this comparison thread is very relavent, as these 2 vehicles are really the only vehicles in their class in North America at this time. As much as I like the sportiness and handling of the '5' with it's 5 speed manual, the fact that the Rondo can tow (1000 kg/2200 lbs un-braked trailer, 1500-2000 kg/3300-4400lbs braked trailer(4 cyl/V6)) seals the deal for me. The fact that it has a driver/passenger armrest, standard roof rails, traction control, stability control, abs with ebd, heated seats, mirrors,wiper de-icer, 5 speed auto (with the V6) and many more comfort & convenience features + a full compliment of airbags(standard) is just icing on the cake.
    The thing I am concerned about are the breaks - I remember reading while back whether 15inch rim would be able to handle the breaks in 5 (which I assume are bigger than the ones in 3). I guess 16inch rims would fit on GT unless if they use completely different system on GT vs GS. Ideal would be to get a 15 (or even 14inch) rims and get the equivalent diameter tires on narrower trim.

This is one of those things where you need to try it and see. If you already have a Mazda 5 you could take to an accommodating shop and have them try different wheels to see if they fit. If the offset is the same, the only thing you need to worry about is clearing the brakes, especially since you will be going to narrower tires to get the same diameter at the higher profile.
  • In real world tests I bet the Mazda 5 will do better than the KIA. There is a discussion dealing with the MPG of the 5 and it has been consistently out performing the EPA numbers. If you check real world values for Mazda engines, they usually do very well compared to similarly sized engines from other companies. For example, the 2 litre angine offered in Mazda 3, despite being larger and more powerful, compares very favourably with the 1.8 litre offerings in the Corolla and Civic.

That being said, I would look for taller gearing or another speed in the Mazda 5 to improve mpg numbers. Also am looking for side air bags in the base model.

When I do make a purchase (within a year) I hope KIA is offering a manual transmission. The manumatics dont cut it for me.
  • I got a chance to get in a new Rondo this weekend and have to admit that I was completely blown away by the quality of materials on the interior! I own a Hyundai and a Volvo and had an inferior mindset against Kia because of its history. I am now a convert.

I was expecting much more inferior trim and materials but was thrilled at what I found. Tactilely, the interior felt like a Passat or Audi even. Parts that you touch, dash, armrests, turn signals, controls, all had a very solid and rich feel to them. This may sound silly, but it really threw me.

The layout is good, on the utilitarian side, but easier to get to. Also, the seating positions are much more upright. You feel like you sit on the seats instead of in them. With the large amount of glass in the cabin, it was a very commanding driving position and easy to see in all directions.

My local dealer outside of Philly had 3 on the lot and they are finding me a V6 EX. Looks like a Merry Christmas for the wife.

Had looked very seriously at the Mazda5, and can even get an S-plan discount on it. Love the whole Zoom-Zoom thing and loved the 3 when I drove it. However, I can't imagine the 4-cyl keeping up on the PA turnpike with 2 kids and luggage. Can't picture the AC working in the 3rd row during Philly summers. I liked the look of the 5 better, the sliding doors were more practical, but noisier at speed.

Overall, a tough call, but in the end, a V6, better warranty, better kit, more space and 5 speed auto win out. Reviews from What Car and other Euro mags give this latest version great reviews and Kia has won another convert.
  • Need to get something for my 86-year-old mother. She needs something she doesn't have to climb up into, or scrunch down into. She wants good all-round vision. Needs an auto. We live at 5,000+feet, which saps engine power. The V-6 should help. Looking at the LX V6 -- with "Convenience Package" [cruise, keyless], roof rack crossbars and mats, it's still under $20K.
  • edf4edf4 Posts: 65
    As the owner of a 2006 Mazda5 Touring 5 speed, (and I can't get you Rondo people off of this thread), let me answer some of the questions about the 5 that I see mentioned here.

1. The 17 inch wheels. They are designed for performance: to give the 5 better handling than you would achieve in a typical van or tall wagon. They are, consequently, summer oriented and thus leave something to be desired in the snow and ice here in the northeast. For those of you in warmer climates, it is a non-issue. And they are NOT run-flats.

2. The 5 will take a 16" wheel, but NOT a 15" wheel. The 15" wheels will not clear the brake calipers. Last winter I bought a set of 16" wheels with dedicated snow tires on them, so now I simply switch them over each season. This helps the 5 perform better in the different seasons, and allows each set of tires to last that much longer.

3. The 5 does have a Tire Pressure Warning System, "TPWS". but only on the models with the factory navigation. Be advised though, that any vehicle, 5, Kia, or otherwise, which has a TPWS, you will not be able to mount aftermarket wheels and tires on them unless the manufacturer's valve stems will fit, otherwise the TPWS idiot light and buzzer will continue to flash and beep until it wears out, which will be long after you have lost your sanity.

4. The reason the 5's front passenger seat does not have a left armrest is because if it did, you would not be able to open the center console lid. This seems to be a personal preference thing. For us, this was not a concern, as none of our other cars ever had, nor do they now have, armrests.

5. The second and third row seats can be folded down flat with the headrests in place, they just need to be lowered first.

6. Unless you drive with a lead foot, the 5 should provide mid 20's city driving and near 30 on the highway, especially with the standard transmission, as that is what we get. The mileage will improve as the vehicle is broken in, as do most vehicles today.

I haven't seen a Rondo in person, but the interior storage in the 5 is much greater than all of its other competitors in my opinion. The transmission is wonderfully smooth, responsive and it drives great. And with over 13,000 miles, we have not had a single issue with the car. Zoom zoom.
  • arumagearumage Posts: 922
    The Mazda5 is a great vehicle and set the standard for a new market in NA, but I think Kia has really pushed it along. It manages a lower step in height and load floor along with more room in all three rows. That equals more storage room as well. Sure Mazda pulls a few more rabbits out of it's hat as far as fancier options like navigation, but the Kia is rated a little better as far as gas mileage at 21/29 for the 2.4L and 20/27 for the V6. With the 4-cyl or V6, the Kia will tow 2000lbs without trailer brakes too. That's something that is important to me, which the Mazda does not offer with the Mazda5. I'm sure the Mazda is the better handler of the two and more fun to drive, but the EX comes standard with 17" wheels too and should provide more than adequate acceleration and handling.

I'm looking forward to seeing one up close. I saw one in the dealer parking lot as I was driving by, but they were closed already.
  • 204meca204meca Posts: 366
    Kia's tow ratings seem a bit optimistic at 1st glance. That said I have towed my 2000lb bass boat behind a Plymouth Colt Vista with a 2.4L, 136 HP & currently use a Forester with a 2.5L 165 HP motor. Both do reasonably well including going across the North Cascade passes (from sea level to 3,000' - not without some huffing & puffing! :P ). I have been told that the same cars in Europe have significantly higher tow ratings than their USA counterparts. Something to do with liability issues in the good ol' litigous USA. Perhaps Kia is sticking with the Euro ratings.

If I got one, I would opt for the V6 if I were planning to tow over 1,500lbs. Another consideration would be does the transmission have a oil cooler as heat is an AT killer (my Colt tranny gave up at 85,000 miles). If it does not have a tranny cooler & you expect to tow long distances in 80 + temps, an aftermarket cooler would be a good investment. Last but not least, what is the Kia fine print on the warranty if the vehicle is used for towning?

So far, all the CDN review have been extremely complimentary of this newest Kia. The more I read, the more it sounds like Kia has a real winner in the Rondo! It will be interesting to see what the reviews have to say once they get to drive the Rondo for a few days.
  • arumagearumage Posts: 922
    Towing is much more dependent on the transmission and chassis rather than the engine. My '00 Intrepid ES is rated at 2000lbs, but I agree about getting a transmission cooler especially if you wanted to tow anything up a grade. I don't have any info on fine print, but for some reason, they have 5,000lbs as maximum towing on their website. I don't think I'd ever tow that much with this vehicle, even with a transmission cooler and trailer brakes. The V6, atleast in the Santa Fe, is stronger feeling than its number suggest though.
This discussion has been closed.