Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 5 vs Kia Rondo

Comments

• Wow!

If 85% percent of women have the final decision on which cars to pull the trigger on our next vehicle purchase and basing our choices on this survey....guys let me be the first to say "We are doomed"

Australia gets the best "bada$$" cars of the entire world that the U.S. society dont even get to sit in, and the final outcome is a Toyota Corolla? Yaris? Beetle Cabriolet? a Kia Rondo as "Car of Choice"

Wow!
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    It seems like most men are remain in their 12 year old mindset when purchasing a car, but women never had that 12 year old mindset, so they look at a car in a more logical way...like a machine to get you around.

On the other hand, women have shoes to utilize their irrational mindset ;)
  • After I have made up my mind. I have a Rondo and a Yaris so my masculinity is taking a hit here.

(Just kidding - I have two very practical cars for my lifestyle)
  • conwelpicconwelpic Ontario, CanadaPosts: 600
    looks like it happened again for the second month in a row, the Rondo outsold the Mazda 5 in Canada, maybe Mazda Canada is having a supply problem as this doesn't normally happened here - or maybe not :D. The Rondo is KIA Canada's best selling model.

Rondo - 932 (this brings it to over 16,000 units since its introduction into Canada)
    Mazda 5 - 711 (sorry, do not have figures since its introduction which was October 2005)
  • After I have made up my mind. I have a Rondo and a Yaris so my masculinity is taking a hit here.

Geee, the Rondo is OK, but the Yaris hit the nail in the head, LOL.

Just kidding :D, wife drives a Mazda5 and I drive a Mazda5, so let's rephrase as:

- These cars do not discriminate any owners' "personal" tendencies
    - Or, Family priorities take precedence when buying these type of cars

:P
  • Don't tell anyone, but the secret is out there, people now know that the Rondo is more fun to drive than the Mazda5, that's why ;)
  • Ha! I like you.
  • Yeah, I did it. Enough of assumptions, while on business travel I arrived to the rental area and found a Rondo, so here we are:

Rented
    2009 Rondo LX I4, 5-seater, ~2100mi on the clock

Pros

Really nice exterior color. It was the Black Cherry I believe. The sunlight effects are great

The Kumho tires (16in) are very decent, good grip. The highway drive is very quiet and the acceleration and barking feels very tight

Although is a 4AT, the ride at 70-75MPH RPMs are decently low (2500-2800RPM)

MP3, Sirius capable player and aux input. My rental had the satellite radio service enabled!

OEM roof rails, good height/clearance space to install crossbars and stuff

Good seating space in the 2nd row, not much of a difference for an adult from the Mazda5 perspective though. Also access is good thanks to the huge door. Problem is garages and parking lots

1-2 inches of extra leg room for the driver than the Mazda5

Decent fuel economy, a-la Mazda5 5MT

Sunglasses bin where the map lamps/lights are

Cons

The tan interior does not look good at all, too brownish, cheap looks. The dashboard and gauges reminded me of mainstream taxis in Asia and South America. The overall design looks outdated with the bulky round vents

The suspension is extremely soft, it “bounces” continuously over road bumps, like a boat at sea…

Steering feels very lose, it is not crisp/responsive at all. The driver-car engagement is very poor, it feels like driving a large V8 car. Mazda has done a very good job in this area. I’ve rented a Mazda3 and a Mazda6, and is very crisp, shorter ratio and very responsive

No telescopic steering wheel

No adjustable lumbar support on the driver’s seat

Plastic interior feels rough. The Mazda5 (Sport) also is also platicky, but this Mazda plastic there looks and feels with more quality (including steering wheel and shift knob)

There are issues when you have sunlight in the dashboard. I certify now that the clock nor the radio screen are visible under direct sunlight, that is not good. Also the dashboard and screens’ orange color make it look very outdated

The 16in wheels with plastic caps, ughhh

Engine feels very peppy, but the 4AT gear to RPM ratio is not well synchronized. Example: from high RPMs on 2nd gear it jumps to a 3rd gear on very low RPMs, very inefficient, a lot of overdrive was needed to keep speed, especially uphill…

2nd row A/C is extremely poor, no low/high control plus it feels very week even with the MAX A/C on. I rented it in Dallas and after a 6-7 hours of being parked on direct sunlight took long time for the cabin to cool down. I did not perceive any difference with the 06-07 Mazda5, which does not have a 2nd row A/C

Useless door ding protector stripes, way at the bottom of the door

No light for the cargo area

No steering wheel radio controls

Subjective if you want

Annoying wind noise on passenger front door at cruise speeds. Wind seems to be entering from the door handle. This may be related to be a rental, not related to the car design

Key and Alarm Fob separated, not stylish at all…
  • Thanks for your write up. It's good to know we're not alone! lol I've written about it before, but I, too, have rented a Kia Rondo in the past - it was a 2008 LX 7-seater version on my trip to Puerto Rico back in May. Like you seemingly did, I purposefully asked for the Rondo - and they gave me the free upgrade since I had, originally, ordered a small car. I should have taken it as a sign (omen?), though, kind of like in the movie "Meet the Fochers" when everything was going WAY tooooo perfectly for the couple on their trip to the in-law's house.

Anyway, I agree with most of your pros on the list. Only thing, though, I didn't have the satellite option, nor the Aux input. Kia JUST put that into their 2009 Rondo. As far as cons go, I also agree with everything you said and can add many more to the list. But, I won't go there. Some people here are way too sensitive for that. Suffice to say, at the request of my wife and friends, I went back all the way to San Juan (far from where I was) in order to switch the car back to the original smaller one I was supposed to get: A Scion XD, which we all enjoyed MUCH more.

I just wish I would have been able to bring my own car down with us, or at least rent another 5. Then, we all would have been happy and I would have never had to waste my time in switching cars.
  • palkopalko Posts: 16
    Was the acceleration decent? What kind of gas mileage did you get?..thanks
  • The suspension is extremely soft, it “bounces” continuously over road bumps
    I wish mine was softer. Bumps are felt petty harshly IMO, I've never noticed the bouncing.

No light for the cargo area

Mine has a cargo light.

No steering wheel radio controls

EX version only?

I still like the Mazda quite a bit.
  • 1) Yes, acceleration was very decent. Again, I didn't like the 4AT upshifting gear to RPM ratio changes, but still, very decent. Now, I really like the 4cyl Mazda MZR engine sound at high RPMs but the KIA one sounded awky. Now, if you don't mind about those things, it was very decent...

2) I only filled-up once. It was around 22MPG. Please note that it was a rental so it was a very spirited driving, so I think the MPG can go up like with the Mazda5 when you drive lightly
  • Correction: The color I got for the rental Java Brown, not Black Cherry. Really dark but nice after all

The US KIA site does not have yet the 2009 specs, but the Canadian KIA site does:
    http://www.kia.ca
  • kubaskubas Posts: 13
    Interesting article:

I will plead with you though, please, please, please if you buy a Rondo, put winter tires on it. The stock tires are absolutely horrible in the snow and deadly on ice. Even on dry cold roads they have very little grip. If you believe the stability control and traction control will save you let me explain how the system on the Rondo works.As you start off and the system senses some slip, it cuts some engine power. It then allows a bit of slip then cuts power again, essentially leaving you stranded at the corner. Turn off the system spin the tires a little and away you go, the system was so intrusive for me, that off it went after the first time I couldn’t move!
    The stability program was just as bad. The two systems, coupled together turning a corner on a snowy road resulted in power being cut and the car nearly stopped dead mid turn! I turned off the system, put the car in neutral and then back to drive and voila — I turned. I’m not sure what the system was trying to do, but whatever it was it didn’t feel safe — it was almost like the vehicle said, “You know what James? It’s slippery out, I’ll save you — stop here.”
    I’m sure this system works great in warm climates with more grip — and thankfully the system can easily be turned off by hitting the button on the left of the steering column. Leave the ESC off during the winter and the Rondo drives with no drama; it is quiet and comfortable and easy to maneuver — perhaps not very exciting but not all vehicles need be. The Rondo certainly delivers what it is meant to deliver — A to B transportation with little drama.

source:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/ctc/blog/?p=165
    the Mazda 5 just squeaked passed the Rondo this month by 8 units!

Mazda 5 - 694
    Rondo - 686
    much better showing for the Mazda 5 this month

Mazda 5 - 1921
    Rondo - 1514

(maybe its the Rondo thats short of units this time?)
  • (maybe its the Rondo thats short of units this time?)

No, I believe this time people discovered the numbers for the Consumer Reviews from Edmunds CarSpace to your right:

----------------------------------->

Mazda5 - 9.4
    Rondo - 7.8

:P
  • I love this guy!
    Rondo - 1395 - (Kia down 38% vs Nov '07)
    Mazda 5 - 1499 - (Mazda down 31.3% vs Nov '07)
    sorry, I didn't make it very clear, those figures in brackets are both companies as a whole, not the particular model.
  • :) I'm just feeding the troll to make a point. Every time I see this forum thread it looks like a well known, politically biased news channel in the US: when the preferred party has something really good the other party gets blasted, but when the preferred party did not do well, then some smoke is thrown around the news to don't make the news look "thaat" bad, LOL
  • bgwbgw Posts: 116
    Huh? I am missing something here, coolmazda5.
  • Not really, just insert the name of the car of your choice and your favorite forum's member name where appropriate in my post and then read. You'll see it works :)

If you notice I did not point to any particular car or particular member, it was just a overall comment about this fun thread since its inception, nothing specific :P
    Rondo - 559 (Nov '07 - 670)
    Mazda 5 - 464 (Nov '07 - 711)
  • bgwbgw Posts: 116
    Merry Christmas to all Rondo and Mazda5 owners out there! Two great, efficient, fun and practical vehicles in which to bring home your Christmas presents!
  • Happy holidays to you too bgw. Have a safe holiday season.
  • Not mention hauling 4 kids and the wife around (on my Mazda5) looking at decorated houses in Chino and Temecula, CA.

Merry Christmas!!!
  • irismgirismg Posts: 345
    A question for those who have each, or even one of each. Which car is easiest on the eyes when driving in low light and at night?

I know that Mazda likes to use red lighting, which when I rented a Mazda3 a few years ago, I hated, though I understand some have started to use some blue to offset it. while Hyundai likes to use a lighter blue, which seems to be more soothing, but Kia seemed more orangey-yellow, although I couldn't tell for sure as I was test-driving Rondo in the daytime.

So, if someone could describe their gauges' color at night and share their impressions, that would help me out. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.