Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 5 vs Kia Rondo

Comments

• nissmazlovernissmazlover Posts: 135
    Query answered: you've never driven a Mazda 5, and made your choice between the two without doing so.

Enjoy your Rondo!
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    I agree with a lot of your points. Many folks have bought Ford Windstar minivans over buying an Odyssey or Sienna, even though the Windstar and GM minivans are so much more inferior. Or folks buy the Ford Focus or Cobolt over a Corolla, Civic or Mazda3, even though again the Focus and Cobolt are inferior vehicles.

Why? Who knows. Most has to do probably with price. But the funny thing is that those folks will then try to say that their vehicle is better than the Odyssey, Corolla or whatever instead of simply saying that they didn't want to spend the money.

Or even if money wasn't the only issue, people make bad decisions all the time and just because someone buys a car and says it was best based on their criteria doesn't make it so. They may have made the wrong choice but don't know it yet and/or don't want to admit it. Most people don't aren't going to spend $20K on a vehicle, take it home and then complain about how bad it is. That's why the various car reviews are benificial...the reviewers don't have a personal stake in the vehicle.

On the other hand, you can tell when one is trying to be objective and tell both side, as compared to someone who is just trying to convince everyone (and mostly themselves) that their car is the best.

I'd say from what I've read from the reviews and my own experience, the Mazda5 is a superior vehicle, but then if you must have seating for 7 or need to tow, then the Mazda5 isn't even on your short list.

As far as price and warranty, Kia owners will find out what a "limited" warranty really means when they start having problems down the road. I'd much rather have a higher quality car with a shorter waranty then vice versa.

And personally, I'd much rather drive a vehicle with superior driving dynamics then ride in a vehicle with slightly larger 2nd row legroom. The cargo area of the Mazda5 is actually larger behind the 2nd row (44.4 vs 31.7CuFt according to the manufacturer's websites). I also like the sliding door, plus the 3rd row passengers will get more cool air from the AC vents due to the 2nd row captain chairs.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I bought a Honda Fit over a Nissan Versa for many of the same reasons that I think the Mazda5 is better then the Rondo, and I don't own either of them.
  • bgwbgw Posts: 116
    "Objectively, The Mazda 5 is a better car than the Kia Rondo"
    Here we go again! To YOU, the M5 is a better car than the Rondo. To ME, the Rondo is a better car than the M5.

And you say "I said claiming that it is a better car than the 5 makes them delusional"
    Well, I guess I am delusional since I KNOW the Rondo is a better car than the M5, for ME. For YOU, the M5 is a better car than the Rondo.

You just can't let it go, can you?
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Posts: 525
    Wide sliding doors?

Find and pictures credited to a fellow Mazda5 owner...

image">
    You just don't get it, do you? Well, then, you said it. If you "KNOW the Rondo is a better car then the M5", then that makes you _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _.

Last time I'll try to reason with you or any other Rondo owners that feel similary:

Just because you bought the Rondo and it fits your criteria and you consider it better for you, it doesn't automatically make it a better car than the 5. It just isn't, and you can't accept it. OF COURSE you think the Rondo is a better car for YOU. YOU made the decision to buy it! It still doesn't change the fact that, in general, the 5 is a better car. Period.

Back in the 80's, many people started buying Excels and thought their cars were perfect for them and their "criteria". By your admission and reasoning, this fact alone would inherently make their Excels better than the Civics, Corollas and Sentras that were also available to them simply because their car fit their criteria. HELLO! How does this make any sense? Regardless of their preference or decision, there were better cars out there! And, those cars didn't stop being better just because some people decided to buy Excels instead! Same is the case for the Rondo. Decent car? Yes. Perfect for you? Fine. Better car than the M5? Definitely not, regardless of your criteria or preference.
    Thank you, Bobw3! Perfectly said.

So, question, how have you experienced the 5? Do you own one? Have you test driven it? If so, what year? The 2008's are even better than the 06 and 07s. I had an 06, first, and I loved it. Then, traded up to an 08, and love it even more.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    No, I don't own a Mazda5...just looking. I was thinking about it 3 1/2 years ago when it first came out, but when I needed to buy in Feb'05, the Mazda5 wasn't out, so I bought a Ford Freestyle. Down the road when it comes time to replace the FS I'll probably go for something a litle smaller, since after our two kids are out of diapers and strollers, I won't need so much space in the car. Plus I want to get something more fuel efficient.

Our small car is a Honda Fit, so I'm looking at cars like a Honda Fit with 3 rows and there aren't many out there...at least not yet! I think Honda and Toyota will bring to the US one of their compact 3 row cars like the Honda Stream sometime in the future, so that will be good competition for this sector. Until then, I agree that the Mazda5 is the better of the two vehicles, but maybe not in such an extreme way as you ;)
    What can I say? I'm passionate. :P

A three row Fit would be cool!
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
    I think we are all well aware of who likes what. If this discussion is just going to continue to be a "neener, neener, mine is better than yours and you're stupid not to admit it."...well, it is no longer a comparison about the vehicles and no longer useful to anyone considering the two.

If you own a Mazda5, I encourage you to post in this discussion:
    Mazda5 Owners: Give us your report!.

A new discussion created for Rondo owners: Kia Rondo Owner Reports

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Karen, which one do you think is better?

;)
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
    Oh, you've been around long enough to know that I am biased. In fact, I believe I've been accused of loving or hating every make/model created simply because of my attempts to keep a discussion on topic and civil. :shades:

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• conwelpicconwelpic Ontario, CanadaPosts: 600
    It still doesn't change the fact that, in general, the 5 is a better car. Period. ..........Better car than the M5? Definitely not, regardless of your criteria or preference.

I understand what you are trying to say, but so far its just perceived, where is your proof other than your own observations and other M5 owners that it is "the better car"
    Where is the proof than an Angus hamburger is better than a White Castle hamburger?

In addition to common sense when actually driving/comparing the two, there exist professional reviews in which automotive journalists laud the 5 over Rondo. Many where they "by the way" mention the Rondo as another alternative to the 5, but the 5 remains their first choice in this very limited genre. I guess Edmunds is just gonna have to do a comparison test between the two and it'll settle it. :blush:

Alright, Karen, end of subject for me. I was under the impression that in a Mazda5 VS. Kia Rondo forum a Mazda 5 owner would actually be able to express his opinions as to why the 5 is better than a Rondo. Would make sense. Otherwise, why even have such a forum? Why not just have Rondo specific forums and Mazda 5 specific forums and leave it at that? Why even have a VS forum where opposing views aren't allowed? I digress.
  • bgwbgw Posts: 116
    Nissmazlover states" Just because you bought the Rondo and it fits your criteria and you consider it better for you, it doesn't automatically make it a better car than the 5. It just isn't, and you can't accept it. OF COURSE you think the Rondo is a better car for YOU. YOU made the decision to buy it! It still doesn't change the fact that, in general, the 5 is a better car. Period. "

Good Lord, the M5 is a better car than the Rondo? Yes, I bought it and yes, it is a better car for me. But the M5 is NOT a better car than the Rondo.

You, sir, are not using reasoning. I am not absolutely sure that you know what reasoning is! You are simply shouting down those of us who have a differing opinion than you.

Tell me, empirically, how the M5 is a better car than the Rondo. Don't give us your opinions about how you feel it rides, drives, etc. That's your opinion, not reasoning.

Who gave you the ability to decide what is better and what is not? I don't hear any other M5 owners ranting about how other cars are lesser vehicles. I take your point about 80's Excels vs Corollas, but I had a 1991 Civic Si that was the worst car I have ever owned. Absolute garbage.

Nissmazlover states "Better car than the M5? Definitely not, regardless of your criteria or preference." Hmm, regardless of my criteria or preference? But obviously not regardless of yours, eh?

As for Rondo vs M5, you cannot empirically say the Rondo is better or the M5 is better. They are too close in all respects.

Anyway, KarenS, I give up on trying to talk sense with this fellow, as I am only going to be shouted down again. My points were simply that the Rondo is a better choice for some people and that the M5 is a better choice for some people, and then this egomaniac called Nissmazlover tries to shove HIS opinions down our throats without a care for OUR opinions. And he has the gall to complain that his opinions are not being heard? Egad.

Yes, let's gets back to sane, sensible discussions about the vehicles, not how some of us are delusional for buying a solid, sensible, economical and enjoyable car to meet our needs. God, how could we ever actually do something stupid like that?
    The replies and the opinions get longer and longer, The interweb is funny... :D
  • andydicoandydico Posts: 12
    ;) I Love my 07 Mazda5... Enough said! hehe
    This video summarizes well it seems. The Rondo is also mentioned at the end...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFxPV7hc4Tw

Note: I do believe there is a mistake. 2008 comes with 5AT, not 4AT
  • mattandimattandi Posts: 588
    this used to be a helpful thread.
  • so, coolmazda5. I am glad you are proud of your 2 Mazda 5's. I would need to buy both of them and drive separately to get my kids somewhere. And FYI, the Mazda5 tail lights and design IS a horrible designed idea. It looks like something a 17 year old would do to modify their pickup truck. Clear, oversized, attention getting lights.

Don't bang your head, everyone has the right to have the wrong opinion on cars. You just appear to have made that choice twice!

(Lighten up, its just a forum)
  • One last favor to all of the Mazda5 lovers. Please remember you own a Mazda5.
    It is a wonderful vehicle. But the following is an M5, not your Mazda5.

Please don't insult the pedigree, beauty, and performance of such a machine stealing its name.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Vehicles/2008/M/M5Sedan/default.aspx