Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 5 vs Kia Rondo

Comments

• conwelpicconwelpic Ontario, CanadaPosts: 600
    finally the 2010 Mazda 5 info has shown up on the Canadian site. DSC and TCS are standard on the GT model, but an option on the base GS model which is part of the Comfort Package at $1,295
    I've seen a Canadian EX-V6 Rondo 2010 model for the first time today and the only change I could see over the '09 model was the ECO minder light on the tachometer and different alloy wheels.
    Rondo sold 805 units (686 in '08) vs 501 units (694 in '08) for the Mazda 5
    YTD - Rondo 8,643 (8,941 in '08) vs Mazda 5 at 7,880 (11,162 in '08)
  • vicenacvicenac Posts: 229
    I saw that the Rondo sales a bit better than the 5, so I thought I’d take a closer look at the Rondo. Easier said than done. The local dealer did not cooperate with a quote, just the usual “come in and drive and you’ll see…”. But then I realized there was no EX in sight. I don’t care for the LX. I need a vehicle with 3 rows.
    So it dawns to me, that only the EX competes head to head with the Mazda5. The LX is in another class. I think we should compare only EX sales the 5.
    I ended up buying a 5 without having the chance to get into a Rondo EX, because there aren’t any around.
  • dona83dona83 Posts: 67
    There was a severe shortage in stock the last couple of months, things'll pick up again now that they're shipping new 2010 models finally.
  • 93949394 Posts: 67
    if you need to carry 6 people most of the time, you are better off with the sliding doors on the Mazda5, getting in and out of the 3rd row on the Rondo isn't all that easy, it is like getting into the rear seats of a 2 dr hatch back.

however, it is sure nice to have 7 seats when you have to carry 7 poeple once in awhile.

Rondo: 693 (vs 559 for '08); YTD: 9,336 (vs. 9,500 for '08)
    Mazda 5: 415 (vs. 464 for '08); YTD: 8,295 (vs. 11,626 for '08)

Market share in Canada:
    KIA: 3.2% (vs. 2.3% in '08)
    Mazda: 5.2% (vs. 5.3% in '08)

YTD vs '08 (Canada):
    KIA: +20.6%
    Mazda: -14.8%
  • Wow, KIA is hitting hard the market share up north as well, not bad. How are the Rondos holding up on value in Canada? In the US the Rondo is at the bottom along with the Hyundai Azera, KIA Sedona and the Mitsubishi Endeavor. That is what KIA needs to work on next I believe:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703735004574570194202741528.html

There are no hard coded numbers, but the used Mazda5s seem to be well appreciated in Canada (according to the media) regardless of the initial flaws. Some articles I found:

http://www.wheels.ca/newsFeatures/article/783399

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/used-cars/used-cars-archive/an-instan- - t-hit-econo-minivan-still-holds-value/article1359888/

Yeah, for the US, I've seen nothing recently...
  • dona83dona83 Posts: 67
    Both the Mazda 5 and Kia Rondo resale values are quite strong in Canada, example the used 07 prices for each is between $13.5k and $18k. I suspect the high demand for both is playing a factor. I paid $15k for my 07 Mazda 5 GT.
  • castg1castg1 Posts: 34
    I think that once you own a mazda5, there is very little chance that you will replace it with a Rondo down the line. And maybe it is a vice versa, like if you have a Rondo, why would you even try a MAZDA5?

The question is if one needs additional vehicle.. Will the current Rondo owner get another rondo? Or will a MAZDA5 owner get another MAZDA5? Do we have
    someone with 2 Rondo's in their garage? I know some have 2 MAZDA5s.
    a friend of mine has 2 Ladas,

your point is?

• LADAs are hot
    US
    Rondo - 1,236 (1,056 for '08) YTD: 14,206 (vs 28,645 for '08)
    Mazda 5 - 1,622 (2,884 for '08); YTD: 18,488 (vs 22,021 for '08)
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    I saw them earlier today. I like the interior, but, I just can't stand the whole large mouth bass look...
  • Nice, the size nor the essentials change, needs the side sills and the spoiler though. The Mazda3 + Nagare looking was expected, that is OK, it grew on me already

Is there any news on the 2011 Rondo? the Grand C-MAX and the Orlando are coming to NA as well...
    Rondo: 499 (Dec '08 - 406) YTD: 9,835 ('08 - 9,906)
    Mazda 5: 343 (318); YTD: 8,638 (11,944)
  • I keeping my fingers crossed that when the 2011 comes to the US, it has start stop technology. My wife isn't really hip on buying new cars, but she is excited about having start/stop (greenie). Mazda I hope you're listening!
  • Put some saber tooth fangs on it.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    I wonder how the start/stop will work with a non-hybrid car? With a hybrid, you have the batteries able to move the car forward as soon as you press on the gas, but with a non-hybrid, if you're at a traffic light and the engine shuts off, once the light goes green and you press the gas I imagine there's be some delay as the starter cranks the engine back on???

I also wonder what the MPG will be for the 2011 mazda5. Hopefully at least 30HWY.
  • Any opinions on long-drive (can't evalutate too much in test drives) comfort of DRIVER seat in the KIA rondo, Mazda5, Kia Soul/Sorrento, Scion xb?? I'm rather short (5'2") and need to scoot the seat forward a lot - esp if there's no telesope wheel. But even w/ telescoping I still need to scoot up to reach the pedals!! I have back problems, thigh problems, and sciatica.... I also really need an armrest/console armrest --- in several cars I've tested the consoles doesn't reach my arm once I scoot up - even if the console "slides". The only armrest that worked so far (for me) is the Mazda5 b/c the armrest is attached to the seat - but it's small (as someone mentioned) and the "console" is skimpy w/ no cover (also mentioned before). Ironically the Mazda5's lumbar support adjust didn't seem too helpful - backs w/o the support were just as good or better - (ex, the Mazda3 back seemed more supportive - I tested it for fun). Seems like components from each of these vehicles need to be put together in one! (Yes, I know I'm being picky, but I also keep my vehicles until they die, and i can't be in pain while I drive). Other than driver comfort, I consider safety and reliability next important, than MPG and cargo capacity/versatility.... But mostly the seat - b/c if I can't sit in the car I'm not going to be using it anyway!!! Thanks!!!
  • I have a '05 Mazda 3i which I've owned for almost 5 years and I purchased our '08 Rondo LX V6 to serve as my wife's and family vehicle just over 11 months ago.

I find my Mazda 3i's driver's seat and driving position to be comfortable for me and would assume that a Mazda 5's driver's seat should be similar. Note that I'm 5'8 and ~153 lbs.

My Mazda's driver's seat is adjustible for seatback angle, height & lumbar support and the steering column tilts and telescopes.

I'd say our Kia Rondo LX's driver seat is also fairly comfortable-at least for me. However, I can't say how comfortable it may be on a long trip since my wife drives it 95% of the time and so far I have not driven it on a long trip. As I recall the Rondo's seat also has adjustments for seatback angle, height, and (I think) lumbar support. The steering column only adjusts for tilt (doesn't telescope). The seat bottom might be a little short for taller drivers, but this could also be a blessing for those who are relatively short in stature. I do like the relatively high "chair like" seating position in the Rondo and the significant amount of headroom. The second row seat also is relatively spacious for two adults. Note that our car has the optional third row seats, which also includes fore-and-aft seat adjustibility for the 2nd row.

I've read comments from some who claimed the driver's seat in the Rondo was uncomfortable for them and I can undertand how larger drivers might have a hard time finding enough space in most any midsize to small vehicle-particularly ones manufactured by Japanese and Korean companies.

Regardless of what I or anyone else may think, the only person who can determine whether or not the seat & control adjustments in a vehicle can be set to a position that will be comfortable comfortable for you...is you!
  • Finding a budget-friendly car is tough enough; when you have kids, it becomes more difficult. I've picked ten cars which I think represent the best family cars for under $20,000.
    --- Aaron Gold, About.com Guide

7. KIA Rondo
    10. Mazda5

More:
    http://cars.about.com/od/toppicks/tp/FamilyCarsUnder20k.htm
  • castg1castg1 Posts: 34
    Some info on Mazda's i-stop engines.
    - One of those 'why haven't I thought of that' kind of solution'.

http://www.mazda.com/mazdaspirit/env/engine/siss2.html
    SMART !

a good alternative until the price of hybrids come down to a more affordable level.

• You would think the Istop would be a selling point in the USA even if it didn't impact the stated EPA ratings.

I wonder if it adds any reliability issues? It seems a sensible thing to have on most models. Air conditioning would be a problem in extended stop and go traffic unless it was able to run the AC electrically.
    Mazda 5 - 1,627 (1,340 in Jan. '08)
    Rondo - 356 (1,657 in Jan. '08)
  • speddyspeddy Posts: 16
    very interesting. Where do you find information like that? I was interested in seeing sales numbers for all cars.
    I get the US figures from the newswire as they come out first, but KIA US does post their sales for all their models on there website. For some reason KIA Canada doesn't do this.
    If you like sales statistics for all manufacturers, I find this site very good and entertaining. He covers both US and Canada.
    http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/