Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 5 vs Kia Rondo

Comments

• coolmazda5coolmazda5 Posts: 525
    we are 9.5 times smaller in population

I like that monthly highlight, let's hope it does not change soon :P
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Posts: 525
    I've just realized that the 2009 Mazda5 is up for review on the right side of the screen, but is not in the market yet :confuse: .

Regardless, look at the numbers for the Mazda5 vs. the Rondo so far:

2008 Mazda5: 9.4 (40 reviews)
    2008 Rondo: 8.0 (6 reviews)

2007 Mazda5: 9.1 (53 reviews)
    2007 Rondo: 8.8 (71 reviews)

What about those 2008 Rondo fans? Put those numbers up :shades:

Note:
    Population of Mexico is 3 times bigger than Canada
  • smrlsmrl Posts: 1
    On August 16th, just picked up a 2008 Touring Mazda 5, Desert Sand, with most options, including the entertainment package. Price was right at the TMV. :D

Using several internet sites, especially Edmunds, we had narrowed our initial choices (at least on paper) to Mazda 5 Touring or Grand Touring or Rondo EX, most likely 2008 to get a deal. I expected to either like both or not much like either, but the test drive was revealing. Without slamming it too much, the problem with the Rondo was that some of the things that looked good on paper, weren't that great in person, as far as we were concerned. It didn't help that the dealer apparently wasn't interested in selling, but we didn't let that affect our views. Enough of that.

The Mazda dealer had 2 Mazda 5 2008 models left (and no 2009's in yet), the one we got and a GT Stormy Blue, fully decked out. The only thing we wanted in the GT was bluetooth, but wasn't worth the price difference. (Not a big fan of leather). Plus, that shade of blue can look purple in the North Alabama sun in August. :) My wife an I both liked the Desert Sand--reminds us of our first car, an '89 Jade-Grey Nissan Sentra. The options were exactly what we wanted. We closed the deal in 2.5 hours, and most of that time was us test driving and thinking. I have never been treated that well by a dealer before, though Saturn came close.

We love the way it drives. We love the features. I can see how the leg room might be a problem for some, but we are a 4-person family, all about average height, with occasional need to haul another kid or two. Plus, our other vehicle is a 1999 Venture van, which we also like. The Mazda5 is perfect for our family trips, my current commute, and switching over to my wife's main vehicle, once we finish our move.

Thanks to Edmunds, and all you who posted here, for guiding us to the vehicle we wanted, so painlessly.
  • Well, if you like the current models, it seems that they will stay until 2011, give or take some facelifts

Too early to say much, but the dates are here:

Mazda5:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-10015468-48.html

Rondo:
    http://blogs.automobilemag.com/6291269/future-cars/future-kia-products-emphasize- - -style-design/index.html

BTW, what happens to the review updates for the 08?
    2008 Mazda5: 9.3
    2008 Rondo: 7.7

Also, the 2009 Mazda5 is on sale now :shades:
  • conwelpicconwelpic Ontario, CanadaPosts: 600
    Mazda 5 - 1,324
    Rondo - 3,508
  • Well I can't compare the Mazda as the local dealers haven't had any in stock for months. I did compare on paper however, and liked the Rondo more. 3 weeks ago I test drove an EX model with the 4 cyl. and liked it and bought it. Now after approx 2000 kms here is what I find is hard to overlook and needs improvement: When you open the doors the dome light only lights up the back seats. The steering wheel needs to be telescopic as I have to put my seat closer to it than I like in order to be a comfortable reach. The passenger seat needs to be adjustable for up and down as is the driver's seat. My wife and I both find that the front edge cuts in to our thighs after about an hour's driving. We therefore switch seats to alleviate this. The 4 cyl. sometimes lacks sufficient acceleration depending where it is in the power band.
    However, I can live with these shortcomings as both my wife and I find the vehicle to be excellent overall. We have our 2 grandkids, ages 4 and 2 yrs. weekly and appreciate the wide opening doors and storage/cargo space. We really like the expansive glass area even though it feels like we're in a greenhouse when it's sunny. We're having the windows tinted aftermarket soon. The vehicle is surprisingly quiet inside. A good thing because the radio is not overly powerful sound-wise. It is easy to handle and tracts nicely and is smooth on good roads. It does jar a bit on rougher roads and bumps though. I'm not sure why here in Canada the powertrain is only warranted for 5 yrs./100,000 kms (62,000 mi.) while the U.S. model is warranted for 10 yrs. and 1000,000 MILES. I doubt that there is a difference in the drivetrains. Are Canadians harder on drivetrains than our American cousins? I think it's quite unfair on Kia's part and I aim to pursue this with them and would urge Canadian drivers to do the same. The fit and finish appear very good for the class and we are very satisfied with this vehicle.
  • palkopalko Posts: 16
    What kind of gas mileage are you getting on this i-4? Both city and highway? I realize you'll probably report this in imperial gallons. (an imperial gallon= 1.2 US gal)
    Thanks and good luck on this vehicle.....palko :shades:
  • Didn't think I would ever poke my head in here again after all of that noise a few months ago or whenever that was (when some dude was flame-baiting Rondo owners), but I found an article that's very relevant to this thread, which is the first ever "Rondo vs. Mazda5" article I've seen from an American website. I've posted links before to comparison articles from the Canadian press--adventurous types can try searching this thread for those links.

The Truth About Cars: 2008 Kia Rondo EX vs. 2009 Mazda5 GT
  • Rondo = Minivan? :surprise:

Mazda5 takes almost 10 seconds to stroll from 0 to 60 mph? :surprise:

(Mazda5 5MT: 0-60MPH 8.53 Sec)

Rondo more fun to drive than the Mazda5? :surprise:

OK, sold :)
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    That article makes a very good point: If you are 6'3", your choices suck.
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    I know, it doesn't suck, but that word made my statement. ;)
    I guess I'm just glad that I stopped at 5'10" so I could enjoy a Mazda5 for a while.
  • I am 6'3" and i am OK in the Mazda5. Could i use a little more leg room? Yes. Do i need it? No. I don't think i would buy this car if i was any taller. The passenger side is even worse.
    a big surprise this month as the Rondo outsold the Mazda 5 quite extensively:

Rondo: 1,087 with YTD of 7,323 (this now brings it to over 15,000 units since its introduction to North America in November 2006.
    Mazda 5: 747 with YTD of 9,757

(just viewed the 2009 Rondo and picked up the '09 brochure)
  • ...before gets too cold in this area :D

Road sightings during the weekend:

6 Rondo "Minivans" ;) (multiple colors and trims), 3 seemed rentals (could see the barcode on the left rear window and usually no rear license plate frame). No kids in any of them :confuse:

Zero Mazda5s :)

232 Camrys :P

Seen more Rondos on the road on a daily basis, starts looking an ubiquitous car at least in my area
  • KIA Canada seems to be cashing on the fact that Mazda CA cannot get enough Mazda5s in inventory, good for KIA...
  • Can one fit a regular stroller at the back of either Mazda5 or Kia Rondo, with the 3rd row seat still up?
  • For special occasional use, yes, but tightly if its a big one. I say occasional because it is not the ideal thing to do IMO (see pics). Now, if you have a small folding portable stroller, not a problem (so to give you an idea, the space at the bottom can fit a golf bag)

• tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,698
    We bought a 2007 Mazda 5 Touring in November 2007. After about 30K miles and 2 years, here is a summary:

We really like this car. I can't believe it is not more popular. It's a shame Mazda doesn't advertise it. If Honda was selling this it would probably be selling 50K-75K a year rather than 20K units.

The good stuff:

Great value for the price. Pretty fuel efficient, even with the 4speed auto in the 07 model - we have seen about 30mpg on the highway and usually average 23-25mpg in mixed driving. Engine is refined and pretty quiet for a 4 cylinder. Handles fabulously for what it is; the Mazda 3/5 platform is like a poor man's BMW. This is probably my favorite feature of the car. It's not too low and not too high like an SUV. It's shorter than my Acura TL but has way more space efficiency. Love the interior flexibility. Love the sliding doors. We have had it two years and have not even had it back to the dealer once, it's reliability has been flawless. Great visibility. Very maneuverable; very tight turning circle.

Needs improving:

Some of the stuff that was already fixed - more armrests, center console, heater vents, etc.
    Plastic is kind of cheap and scratches easily, especially around door panels. Distance between brake pedal and gas pedal a little tight, took getting used to. Occasional thump in front suspension when going over a bump slowly while turning - need to get this looked at. Driver's seat not that comfortable, sometimes tough to get a good driving position. Could always use a bit more power but don't want to sacrifice fuel economy.

In summary, we're pretty happy. We also looked at the CRV but didn't want to pay $5K more for similar features, and we liked the lower height and sliding doors. If you like an agile smaller ride but want quite a bit of space, this is your car!
  • I can't believe it is not more popular. It's a shame Mazda doesn't advertise it. If Honda was selling this it would probably be selling 50K-75K a year rather than 20K units.

After 3 years of owning 2 (an 06 and an 08) I think that is the best thing, they are not ubiquitous (all over the place), they are very unique

Also, if Honda would sell them, I'm sure they would not look as nice :shades:

Yes, lower height and sliding doors rule...
    Rondo - 2,642 units
    Mazda 5 - 1,080 units
  • Rondo, Kia's value-laden CUV, posting a 3-percent increase over the same month last year and a 38.4-percent increase year to date.

The right-for-the-market MAZDA5 multi-activity vehicle posted a 26.8 percent increase versus last September Year-to-date the MAZDA5 is up a remarkable 42.0 percent.

Source: Marketwatch
    http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/kia-motors-america-announces-september/sto- ry.aspx?guid=%7BC6070E50-E024-4359-9786-B470B0FB3DF6%7D&dist=hppr
    http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/mazda-reports-september-2008-sales/story.a- spx?guid=%7BE41DEFB5-6B89-4F02-A82F-0BC4ADCF152F%7D&dist=hppr