Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 5 vs Kia Rondo

Comments

• coolmazda5coolmazda5 Posts: 525
    Interesting, would that be for Canada?

From Consumer Reports I see Mazda in 4th place, behind Honda, Subaru and Toyota :confuse:

With an overall score of 78 out of 100 points, Honda was followed closely by Subaru (75), and Toyota (74) in the overall score. Subaru is also the only automaker with 100% of its tested vehicles Recommended, although it has a relatively small model lineup. Mazda (73), came in 4th, followed by Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, Volkswagen, and BMW, all tied at 72.

Of the Asian automakers, Subaru, Nissan, Mazda, and Hyundai improved their overall scores. Nissan and Hyundai also improved their reliability rating. Of the four, Hyundai showed the most improvement, increasing its overall score from 66 to 70. The Hyundai Genesis also topped Consumer Reports’ upscale-sedan ratings, contributing to the automakers continued progress.

Source Consumer Reports:
    Release Date: Feb 26, 2009
    Consumer Reports’ Automaker Report Cards: Honda Leads Again, Mercedes-Benz Improves, Chrysler Lags

http://pressroom.consumerreports.org/pressroom/2009/02/consumer-reports-automake- - r-report-cards-honda-leads-again-mercedes-benz-improves-chrysler-lags.html
  • conwelpicconwelpic Ontario, CanadaPosts: 600
    no, Consumers Reports is a US magazine, we have a Canadian Supplement with regards to price differences and contacts in Canada, not the information provided.

You are correct too, as there is two different reports, the one you refer to is on page 15 and the one I'm referring to is on page 17. Hyundai and KIA are grouped as one on your list. The list I'm referring to takes the reliability section of your list and breaks that down - "Reliability by brand".
  • vg33e powervg33e power Posts: 314
    I never said that Kia cars were not reliable (as I really don't know because I have never owned one), I simply said that Kia is a faily new "Korean" car company and needs to establish their reputation by doing excatly what they are doing-- offering an awesome warranty at very affordable priced cars.

The only other thing I said was that Kia, like Toyota cars are rather bland, boring, or simply ugly in their design, unfortunately Honda is following too with their rather ugly new Accord.

My Mazda5 still wins in looks and spotiness against the above mentioned, and it is in par with reliabilty with the likes of the fav 3 import brands (Toyota, Honda, Nissan).
    Rondo - 533 (767 in '08)
    Mazda 5 - 384 (1,028 in '08)
    So in page 15 Mazda is 4th place and in page 17 is 12th? I didn't know Mazda was different from Mazda as a brand :confuse:. Those magazines, telling ya :)
    Think Rondo is no longer the stylish name it was? Does Magentis remind you of those magnetised bedsheets your granny always raves about?

Apparently Kia shares your concerns, and is investigating how best to revamp its model naming system to appeal to a wider (ie: under 40 year-old) audience.

The new Soul and Forte (aka Cerato) are rumoured to be safe, as both nameplates are fresh enough and hip enough to strike a chord with younger car buyers. However, the rest of the range will likely see a good number of badges being thrown into the bin.

“We want to leave the old baggage behind,” Kia’s Michael Sprague said in an interview with Automotive News.

“A lot of people don’t know who we are anyway. So why not come out with new and more attractive names like Forte and Soul?”

An alpha-numeric naming convention isn’t expected to be on the cards, but we do expect to see some funkier names popping up in Kia’s stable in the near future. All we ask is that they make more sense than Ssangyong’s.

Source:
    http://www.themotorreport.com.au/24602/kia-to-re-jig-model-nomenclature/
  • larrytbmlarrytbm Posts: 10
    The Mazda5 and Rondo were the two vehicles we tested the most before deciding on the Rondo. The best feature about the M5 is the sliding doors. I'm not into zoom-zoom or impressing others, just functionality and value (not cheap). The car we test drove just 30 min. before our first drive in the Rondo was a $40k Audi A4 Avant and I fully expected that to totally kill our interest in the Rondo, but it didn't. Back to the M5 and Rondo, for us the decision is how the vehicle is primarily used. The M5 is a nice package and works well as a people mover that sometimes may have to carry cargo. But we mostly carry pets and/or cargo and the Rondo absolutely works better. For large pets, the 2nd row buckets on the M5 don't work and we carry items on the floor that wouldn't fit in the M5. Finally, the Rondo is quiet, rides well and good placement of all controls. The Rondo is bland looking, but I'm not paying to improve the scenery for other drivers.
    I'm not paying to improve the scenery for other drivers

You are making a good point, I agree with that, but at the same time to me driving a car is like using a suit, I want it to be comfortable but also to look good when I wear it :)

What happened to the Audi A4 Avant? Why the test drive if you don't like impressing others? I would have chosen that hands down over a Mazda5 or a Rondo :blush:, but I prefer to have 2 Mazda5s for the price of one Audi though :shades:

Allright, allright, enough of questionnaires, enjoy your new car, that is what matters most!!
  • larrytbmlarrytbm Posts: 10
    You are making a good point, I agree with that, but at the same time to me driving a car is like using a suit, I want it to be comfortable but also to look good when I wear it.
    The difference is the suit must fit the best first, if it happens to look good, that is just extra. The Rondo fits better than the M5 and the Audi wasn't to impress others, it just didn't fit our needs more than the Rondo, and certainly not 2X more.
    Rondo - 807 units vs 764 for March '08
    Mazda 5 - 964 units vs 1,560 for March '08
    Interesting for Canada, up north seems to be a KIA/Hyundai stronghold. I also found this, would that explain the difficulty to find 2009 models in the US dealerships? I'm not sure how they are counted in Canada:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/13/hyundai-and-kia-use-fleet-sales-to-boost-numb- ers/
  • dona83dona83 Posts: 67
    I'd just like to note that the Ford Aspire was actually a Kia made vehicle, and I've heard from people who own these cars that the only way to kill them is by getting into a horrific car accident, in which case the next to nil crash test ratings would likely kill you too. Hopefully the new Kias still have this level of reliability as the old Aspire with the added benefit of much safer vehicle designs, you really can't go wrong with a Kia.

EDIT: Seems the Aspire motor was a Mazda... go figure. Hopefully they kept a few engines to reverse engineer.

My wife and I really liked the Rondo but in the end we still love our clutch and stick shift, so the Mazda 5 won that battle. We're quite happy with our decision. =) The 5's super fun to drive and the versatile interior just can't be matched (except for the Rondo of course). Not quite the refined ride of the Kia but I like the sportier ride.
  • havilandhaviland Posts: 1
    I've owned both an 08 Rondo and an 07 Mazda 5. We drove the 5 for a year before it was totaled (everybody's okay, thanks.) Then we went shopping and the Rondo caught our attention. After a year with the Kia, here are my impressions of the two cars. The sliding doors on the Mazda are a definite plus. The Rondo's back doors are quite wide. Great for getting in and out. Lousy in a tight parking ramp. The Rondo rides smoother and significantly quieter than the Mazda. Mazda's obsession with putting 17 inch wheels and low profile tires on everything is silly. Nobody buys the 5 for zoom-zoom and you pay for it in bumps and grinds. You'll also pay for it (dearly) when you buy new tires. Stereo is better in the Kia. Individual seats in the second row make the Mazda a bit more versatile in cargo/passenger configuration but the Kid can actually carry three in the second row and seven overall. We have six grandkids. Advantage: Kia. The roof rack on the Rondo is kind of weird. The bars are an accessory but the rails are standard. The rails, however, are completely useless without the bars. You can't even strap anything to them so why not add 50-100 bucks onto the sticker price and include them? The factory rack for the 5, on the other hand, looks like steel girders on concrete blocks and the wind noise is horrendous. The problem with the Kia rack is that, in its stock configuration, you can't get the bars more than 21 inches apart! The front bar won't even come as far forward as the middle of the back door! Carrying a 16.5 foot canoe or a few 4x8 sheets of plywood is real nail-biter. The value/resale argument (expect to hear it from your Mazda dealer) is, of course, based on the depreciation of past vehicles. Kia has definitely improved quality and that, plus the big warranty, has improved perception and, therefore, value. Time will tell. At 6'2" I find the Kia's seating position for the driver to be more comfortable, even on short runs. That of course, is very individual. I do believe, however, that the Kia seats are superior. Overall, I don't think there's a wrong choice here. Both are well thought out, sell designed vehicles. Think about what and who you'll be hauling and what's most important to you. Take each one for a good, long test drive...at least half an hour. None of this five minutes around the block with the salesman yakking in the back seat stuff. By the way, there is a way to extend the spread of the Kia rack by removing a rubber strip and sliding the front bar forward.
    Nobody buys the 5 for zoom-zoom

No offense but that is incorrect, definitely a Rondo is for you then. Glad everybody is OK and you found the right car, good report and enjoy the grand kids!
    Nobody buys the 5 for zoom-zoom

Ha ha. Ha ha. The things I've done with my 5. The car loves to corner and I've tamed three of the local mountain roads so far. It's no Porsche for sure but it's still fun to drive, the 5-speed manual transmission is just absolutely made for this car, and sure the suspension is not as comfy as a Kia Rondo or Toyota Corolla's but then again the first thing I did with my Corolla was put stiff as heck springs on them to improve handling. The Mazda 5 is not as stiff yet still has great handling. Sorry if you don't enjoy driving anymore, the Rondo is a great car but don't claim that people don't buy the 5 for the zoom-zoom, if the 5 drove like any other minivan I would never have considered it in the first place! But alas it has a soul of a sports car and I love it!
  • vg33e powervg33e power Posts: 314
    ^-^-^

What he said x2. It is very clear why you drive the Rondo. You prefer comfort, functionality and bland looks. We Mazda5 owners prefer sporty handling, funtionality and sporty looks.

"Nobody buys the 5 for zoom zoom"

HA HA HA HA!
    ^^^ Yep! The Rondo is definitely a very comfortable and refined car, I would consider one when I'm like 60 years old or something, but right now I'm a parent with a mission: to prove that parenting doesn't have to mean giving up a love for driving!

And in my comment, I love my 5 speed manual Mazda 5 but nothing against the 5 speed auto Mazda 5s out there, we're still Zoom-Zooming!
  • nissmazlovernissmazlover Posts: 131
    I gotta agree with all the replies to your post. Sorry, but your assertion that no one buys the Mazda 5 for "zoom zoom" is totally off the mark.

I would have never considered the 5 if it weren't for its good and sporty looks, sporty intentions and driving demeaner and youthfulness, in addition to its practicality. I feel my 5's steering feel is perfect. It handles like a dream - a sporty one at that - AND it fits my family's needs perfectly (married father with two 9 year old boys). We all couldn't be happier with our car and it's sportiness and looks. So, yes, it's "zoom zoom" was/is a DEFINITE factor (my wife hates minivans, but she loves the 5, and very much disliked the Rondo because of its "uncool minivan-ness").

I'm really glad you're happy with your choice to drive the Rondo. More power to you! :) But, honestly, all this talk about the Rondo's "comfortable ride" has perplexed me. I, extensivlely, drove a 2007 Rondo for over a week and didn't find the ride to be superior to the 5's in the least. No offense, as we all are able to express our opinions in this forum, but I found the Rondo's ride to be very cheap feeling and misleading. At first, the ride seemed to be comfortable until you come in contact with bumps, potholes, speed bumps or dips in the road. Then, all that supposed "comfort" went flying out the window as the suspension felt harsh and cheap, and let all the unfiltered vibrations into the cabin - especially with a full load of passengers who all complained that their butts, literally, hurt after a long trip because of the harsh ride (characteristics my 5 does not exhibit at all). Mazda 5's ride may seem firmer at first, but you soon find it's, in actuality, more cosetting than the Rondo's - PLUS, it delivers better handling. Side note - I also noticed a slight but noticeable difference in ride quality between my 2006 5 and my 2008 - 08 rides better and feels more refined.

Another side note: To the person who alluded to the fact that a 60 year old should drive/consider a Rondo. No fair! Let's not generalize with the mature folks that way. My mom's 60 years old and still very much enjoys driving and appreciates my 5's "zoom zoom". :blush: