Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 5 vs Kia Rondo

Comments

• igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 790
    i read both reviews on consumer reports - I dont quite understand the way these cars are rated. If you read these reviews it seems like Rondo would actually get higher score.

I wish an explanation was given why 76vs86.

I've always used Consumer Reports along with other guides (mainly Edmunds) when car shopping. But it is irritating that they don't detail how they arrive at the overall score for a particular vehicle. All you see are those dumb little circles that are partially or completely filled in red or black....but no number values for comparison.

In the case of the Mazda5 (with a score of 86) and Kia Rondo (score of 76)-

Predicted Reliability- Kia (Very Good) is better than the Mazda (Good)
    Emergency Handling & Braking- Mazda (Very Good) is better than the Kia (Good)
    Acceleration- the V6 is slightly faster than the 4-cylinder Mazda, but the Mazda gets slightly better fuel economy.

I'm a Mazda fan (love my '06 Mazda3), but I don't see how those differences result in the Mazda5 ranking 10 points higher than the Kia Rondo?
  • leckigleckig Posts: 2
    neither of these is a sport car boys... I am amazed how some of you are being influenced by a marketing slogan - quite pathetic, really.

Personally, I like the Rondo better even though Mazda is more attractive from the outside in my opinion. Inside, Mazda looses - it just looks poorly made compared to Rondo and only two seats in the second row??? - this is just weird.

Well, good luck on your 1/4 mile track... in a station wagon, or a minivan, whichever way you want to call it.
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Posts: 525
    You are right, these are no sports cars, but if you like driving and car dynamics then the Mazda5 supports its marketing slogan extremely well for the type of car it is.

Now, if you just need a people hauler to move you from A to B, then no argument on your rationale I guess.

I enjoy driving, like car dynamics and have driven both cars, so I can tell there is no Mazda marketing ploy, there is a world of difference between both. The way I see it is: with the Mazda5 is not how fast you get from A to B, it is how much more fun you had when getting there :D

As per the Rondo being more attractive from the outside than the Mazda5, you are right, it is your opinion, I won't argue that
  • vg33e powervg33e power Posts: 314
    Looks are subjective.

....for me the Mazda5 takes it all the way, and I have to side with coolmazda5...its not how fast you get there but how fun it is to get there..another one for the Mazda5.
  • stewpidasostewpidaso Posts: 45
    I have that magazine those are road test scores. The mazda5 corners and handles a little better.
  • stewpidasostewpidaso Posts: 45
    we bought an 08' new rondo a few months ago we like it, also liked the mazda5 we test drove. got a great deal on a new 08' rondo lx v6 for 15k otd. I would have prefered the mazda5 because of the sliding doors but couldn't look past the great deal on the rondo. They are both good cars another car we liked was the nissan rogue very quiet and smooth. my $.02
  • 93949394 Posts: 67
    i'm not able to pick a winner after reading this forum, i believe i must test drive both, however, a test drive is only 10, 15 minutes,

does anyone (or family) have both Rondo and 5 under the same roof (or close friends/relatives) and can provide a fair comparison, based on a slightly longer term.

thanks!
    does anyone (or family) have both Rondo and 5 under the same roof?

Damn, you might be asking for too much, I do believe they are mutually exclusive ;). But if you read a couple of pages back I believe there is one person (or more?) who have owned and sold a Mazda5, then got themselves a Rondo, that might help...
  • They would have sold more Rondo if they are shipping more. Weeks of waiting drives people away.
  • ...and if they were better looking......lol

Sorry I just had to say it!
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    They would have sold more Rondo if they are shipping more. Weeks of waiting drives people away

Mazda has the same problem. There is no inventory of the Mazda5. This is the second year in a row that the demand is greater the the supply.

I have a 13 person wait list for a Mazda5, and I have not been able to order 2010's yet!
  • 93949394 Posts: 67
    i wonder if KIA was producing less because of the economy downturn, so it is a good sign, may be the economy is recovering faster than i thought it would.
    I just tried a couple of Autotrader new car searches in 2 random US locations (opposite coasts):

Location 1 (50mile radius):
    2009 Mazda5s available: 11
    2009 Rondos available: 22

Location 2 (50mile radius):
    2009 Mazda5s available: 8
    2009 Rondos available: 12

I do believe it is not a low supply, but maybe the new KIA line-up attracting some of the Rondo's target market buyers: the Soul and the Forte (especially the Soul as a 5-seater "wagon"). KIA as a brand is doing well, just some of its models didn't
  • ldislerldisler Posts: 82
    I think the CFC has helped the 5 more then the Rondo. The 5 is considered a cat1 truck and qualifies for $4500, the Rondo is a passenger car and in most cases only gets $3500. Got my 5 two weeks ago and love it so far. First full tank 26 MPG in mixed driving.

Plus the 5 is better looking.
    Good point, I believe CFC is mentioned in the Mazda press release link posted earlier. cat1 truck, huh? that makes sense :D
  • Coolmazda5....

So what do you think? Our Mazda5's are not cars but are not really mini-vans. They are not SUV's because they do not classify as that type of vehicle so therefore they do not come standard with privacy glass. Most people call them wagons but they raise contraversy because it has slider doors like a mini-van...which is not, and now the government for the sake of CFC categorizes it a cat1 truck...WTF!

So our Mazda5's can be a car, a mini-van, an SUV, a wagon, and now a truck...lovely!!

Man, talk about Mazda making a ripple on a calm pond....and I love it!
  • The problem is that most, if not all, the available Rondo are LX and not the more desired EX trim. 10 out of 11 Rondos at my dealer right now are LX that has no 3rd row seat and moon roof option. In other words, most of the Rondo left are 5 seaters that are not competitive model for Mazda5. Dealers have been receiving mostly Soul and Forte in the last few shipments. On the other hand, the current inventory reflects the outcome of cash for clunkers. Rondo has both 4-cylinder and V6 models, but only the I-4 is eligible due to the 1mpg difference. Whereas Mazda5 only has 4 cylinder models and they are all eligible for the cash voucher.
    So it seems that in this case KIA is being bitten back by offering way too many options for a single model nowadays. That was its strength in past months however.

Oh well, I hope the Rondo and the Mazda5 stay in the KIA and Mazda line-ups in the US for the next generation, competition is always healthy (those KIA numbers don't help today though, the Rondo is just ahead of the Borrego and the Amanti in numbers for July 09)
  • Sure it is good to have more optional line-ups within the same model if they can deliver the them too. I guess Kia's manufacturing capacity is really limited that they have to cut down the production of Rondo to make the new Soul and Forte. Anyway, let's hope that there will be more competitive models by other manufacturers in this niche.