Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 5 vs Kia Rondo

Comments

• What are the 2010 Rondo specs? Some new goodies?
  • conwelpicconwelpic Ontario, CanadaPosts: 600
    there is a separate thread for the 2010 Rondo info. The only thing I can see in the spec info that is different is Eco-Minder indicator and there is also an in-dash navigation sytem on the top model. I haven't seen a 2010 model yet (my local dealer didn't have any when a checked a couple of days ago).
  • Yeah, but I don't read the Rondo section. Ecominder indicator? Do you mean like a light? That should as pleasant as the yellow cruise control light on the 1st Mazda5 model, problem this might also blink :)
    I presume its like the one on the Forte and according to the owners manual it can be turned off or on - your choice. But till I actually see a 2010 Rondo I can't confirm.

Also the 2010 Mazda 5 info has not yet been released in Canada.
    Rondo - 1,023 (932 '08); YTD 7,838
    Mazda 5 - 698 (711 '08; YTD 7,379
  • dona83dona83 Posts: 67
    Odd, I see so many more 5s than I do Rondos at least in Vancouver although I'm happy to see the sales of these two small people movers thriving. I hope more manufacturers step up to the plate. Can't wait for the Ford C-Max!
  • gened1gened1 Posts: 256
    Chevrolet Orlando looks promising as well. My complaint is that the Mazda 5 and the Orlando and the Cmax will only have small displacement engines. My impala 3.5 liter gets 28-32mpg regularly so why can't a 3.0 liter 6cylinder be put in these vehicles. If Chevy can do it with the 3.5 surely other manufacturers should be able to get a 6 with good gas mileage as well. So far the Rondo is the only one to come close.
    Rondo - 653 ('08 - 2,642 ); YTD - 11,731 ('08 - 24,680)
    Mazda 5 - 652 ('08 -1,080); YTD - 14,918 ('08 - 15,717)
  • I guess is perception, check this review from Canada, but if it sells more because of that, good stuff:

Our tester is the top of the line EX Luxury model, which comes standard with a V6 engine mated to a five-speed automatic transmission. Though it may seem that Rondo has the advantage here with a six-cylinder engine option (only a 2.3-litre inline-4 is available in the Mazda5), Kia’s V6 is underwhelming. It has more muscle than the Mazda5, but the car doesn’t feel particularly faster. The V6 engine is also quite loud under hard acceleration and it drinks gas more readily.

Source:
    http://www.autonet.ca/autos/search/testdrives/2009/09/30/11209106-autonet.html
  • 93949394 Posts: 67
    if i wanted a fast car, i wouldn't be buying a 7 seater mini-mini van,
    with 175hp from a 2.4 I-4, i didn't even go for the optional V6 engine.
    US has 10 times more population than Canada, i'm surprised to see that the Canadian Rondo number is so high. incredible. although i'm 1 of those who bought a Rondo in Aug.
  • Conwelpic, they sure aren't selling those Rondos around me! I look everywhere to see them on the road and no dice. Only a few Mazdas 5s, too. Saw a red one at the grocery the other day. NJ, north of Trenton.

Loads of Hondas, Toys, etc.
  • bgwbgw Posts: 116
    Lots of Rondos in Newfoundland, and a few M5s too. We certainly appreciate practicality in a sensible-sized wrapper!
  • bgw, what is your experience with them? Are they reliable regarding few (pref no) recalls or lemonish repairs?
  • dona83dona83 Posts: 67
    I think because Canadians tend to gravitate towards smaller sensible vehicles, perhaps by necessity... gas has always been on average 25% more expensive north of the border. We're paying $3.60 a gallon equivalent right now in Vancouver.
    it went up to 1.09 per litre this morning, or US$3.9/gallon.

even though crude drop more than 2 dollars yesterday.

?????
    ofionnachta I will also answer your question too. I'm just coming up to 48,000 km (29,827 miles) and 2 years of ownership and so far extremely reliable. No mechanical problems at all, body as tight as the day I bought it with no squeaks or ratttles. Very good mileage, comfortable, versatile, plenty of power with my 2.4L, great sounding standard stereo. No hesitation in recommending it. I have only two warranty claims - one was one of the strands on the heated rear window was not working and the other was replacement of the windshield due to a pressure crack on the inside at the dash level - both repairs done to my full satisfaction.
    Mine is the Canadian 2008 EX model 5-seater model.
  • Don't forget that Rondo has more options and bundled features in Canada than in US. That may make it more competitive and broaden its market there.
  • yep, your experience is similar to mine with my two Kia's, the first a 1999 Kia Sephia sedan, and the 2nd a 2001 Kia Sportage 4X4. A few recalls, and a few minor fixes required from Technical Service Bulletins.

I was on top of all of the problems as they ocurred in real time, no messing around wondering what to do. Kia Service Advisors kept me informed and the Kia was always fixed right the first time, every time, at no cost to me.

The amount of money I saved by paying less for my Kia compared to other imports and domestics could then be spent by my wife and I on other things. Like fixing up old houses. ;)

But I remain a big fan of Kia. Their Long-Haul Warranty is great, but, one must choose their dealer carefully.

I was recently treated to new driver side and passenger window tinting from our Mitsubishi dealer! We were there for our Lancer's 45,000 mile service. As I started to pull away the Service Advisor comes running up to us yelling "don't roll your window down!". I hit the brakes and opened the door inquiring why.

"I just tinted your windows. Don't use the power windows for a while."

So we saved on the 45,000 mile package over the Mitsu dealer in Tucson's quote(the place we bought from is located in Avondale, a western burb of Phoenix, the same place we went to for our 45,000 mile service here). And we got our windows tinted for free.

Now that is intelligent automotive service for you. I will remember treatment like that when it comes time to buy another Mitsubishi, which, of course, is just where they want me. But if we're treated fairly(and I watch every transaction like a hawk)I will indeed remember with the memory of a desert elephant at deal time. :shades:

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• I was recently treated to new driver side and passenger window tinting from our Mitsubishi dealer! We were there for our Lancer's 45,000 mile service. As I started to pull away the Service Advisor comes running up to us yelling "don't roll your window down!". I hit the brakes and opened the door inquiring why.

"I just tinted your windows. Don't use the power windows for a while."

LOL, you're kidding, right? So, you didn't note the new tint when getting into the vehicle and the dealer did it without asking you? I don't like aftermarket window tinting so I would have been extremely upset if somebody does anything like that to my car without asking first... I would not have recommended that dealer AT ALL. Good dealers ask you first, even if it's for free