Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 5 vs Kia Rondo

Comments

• Hmmm, more Mazda5s sold than in the US actually ;)

Given the availability time for the 2008 mazda5 in NA (US and Canada) reality seems that the Mazda5 is not a Mazda business priority (marketing-production-sales) for these 2 markets (i.e. cash cow like the Mazda3)

Take a look of the numbers for Mazda in general, a different story. Also, my theory is that there may not be more significant sales of 2007 Mazda5s during this past month because potential owners are waiting for the 2008 (with all the new improvements/enhancements) to come.

MAZDA reports double digit sales increase for third straight month
    http://media.ford.com/mazda/article_display.cfm?article_id=27150&make_id=227

Also, in other markets Mazda5 is a big seller and award winner, so if I were Mazda I would ship my production to those markets instead (which I think they are doing anyway :mad: ):

Mazda5 Awards Worldwide
    http://www.mazda.co.za/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1163398491496&pagename=Page&sit- - - - - e=MSA&c=DFYPage
  • Here's another comparative review of the Rondo and Mazda5 (why are all the comparative reviews thus far from the Canadian press?): New breed of minivans shrink to broaden their appeal.

The Mazda5 gets the edge over the Rondo. I mostly agree with everything that was said in this review, although I would come to a different conclusion (I bought the Rondo over the Mazda5, after all). This review was of the 2007 Mazda5, not the more feature-rich 2008 version. Plus, the review never mentions looks, which I think the Mazda5 wins by default due to the Rondo's unconventional aesthetics--some think it's butt ugly; others like the looks; I just think it's bland or odd (I'm not sure if I stated that before, but that's what I think now).
  • I've been reading this thread with some interest cuz I'm looking at buying either the Mazda5 or Rondo or maybe Matrix (Vibe). Some really good info here. There's no rush since I'm not planning on buying until next year. Medicine Man, I'm wondering why you decidedd on the Rondo, cuz you don't sound too excited about it, especially about its outside style? Hope you don't take that the wrong way. I'm just curious, that's all. thanx.
  • Didn't I explain why I bought the Rondo in some of my previous posts? I suppose due to my rambling nature, there wasn't one particular post where I summarized my thoughts on this in a neat and tidy manner (and don't expect this post to be any different). If it seems like I lack enthusiasm for Little Ronnie, it's because, well, I lack enthusiasm, period. That's just the way I am. As for the exterior aesthetics, isn't that the first thing people mention whenever they talk about the Rondo? It seems strange that a comparative review would neglect to mention it, since ordinary folks seem to care about this. So let's start there.

Hey, I have two eyes.  I know the Rondo doesn't conform to how "cool" vehicles look these days. I know it won't win many beauty contests.  Having said that, I would have never purchased the Rondo if I had truly thought that it were ugly.  To me, the Rondo is bland more than anything else. My wife and sisters, though, think that it's cute.  What's that?  Did I just hear a collective gasp from every male car enthusiast on the planet?

BTW, I'm not suggesting that all women will have the same opinion. I'm just saying that women don't see cars the same way as guys do. A guy tends to see his vehicle as an extension of himself, thus the more sleek or muscular it is, the better. I don't see too many women giving a rat's butt about this or caring that much if others like their ride.

When I was shopping for a vehicle earlier this year, I was looking for a mini people hauler primarily for utilitarian reasons. This is actually a redundant statement, because why else would anyone consider vehicles like these?  If it also happened to look way cool, that would have been a bonus rather than a necessity.  Naturally, I cross-shopped the Rondo with the Mazda5, which I admit is more of a head turner than the Rondo.

Utility, however, was the trump card.  To me, the Rondo seemed more useful than the Mazda5.  What sold me on the Rondo is that it can seat up to seven people (the Mazda5 can hold six) and it has a greater variety of possible passenger/cargo combinations due to its 2-3-2 seating scheme (the Mazda5 is 2-2-2). I think it's more useful having bench seats in the second row rather than two bucket seats. When seating four to six people, the Rondo has more useful cargo space than the Mazda5 due to the amount of unused seating that can be folded away.

Do I need seven seats?  If I needed seven (or six) seats, I would've purchased a minivan.  But I knew that I would occasionally find the up-to-seven seating useful, which has proven to be true.  Granted, I wouldn't want tall adults sitting in the third row (isn't that the usual disclaimer for third row seating in non-humongous vehicles?), but my two 13-year-old nieces didn't complain at all while sitting back there and happily listened to their iPods.  In a pinch, the third row is useful; if you need that capacity all of the time, look elsewhere.

The Rondo is all about versatility and value, with no pretensions at being hot or sporty. To some, this is its greatest weakness; to others, this is its greatest strength. My personal view is, no one demands hottie looks or exceptional performance from practical vehicles like a minivan, so why would one expect this from the Rondo? To knock the Rondo for this seems to somehow miss the point. Functionality is the Rondo's raison de être and this has been achieved in the Rondo with a remarkable deftness.

Make no mistake, I'm not saying that looks or performance are never important--but what would be the point of buying a vehicle like this if it didn't first and foremost fulfill your utilitarian requirements? For potential buyers, if you can't get over the Rondo's looks and you find the Mazda5's utility to be sufficient, I would suggest the Mazda5 for its relative hot looks and relative sportiness.
  • I've owned 2 Mazdas in my time (1991 Protege and 1996 and 2007 MX-5 Miatas). Have also owned a Honda (2006 Civic), a Toyota (2001 Camry), and two Subarus (1997 Forester and 1993 Impreza). My new 2007 Kia Ronda is as impressive, if not more so, than any of those cars when it comes to perceived quality, fit and finish, and thoughtful design. It's much too early (1600 miles) to say anything about Rondo durability, trouble-freeness, etc. But with a 100,000 drivetrain warranty, I don't lose sleep.

Anyone who makes blanket statements putting a Kia down vs. other Asian car products is a clown. The Pacific Rimmers all make very good automobiles.
  • mrbwa1mrbwa1 Posts: 42
    medicineman,

Well done laying out your reasoning for the Rondo. My wife and I have recently purchased a Mazda 5 and I can pretty much concur with your reasoning. I thought I would offer my reasoning behind the Mazda5 purchase. I must mention that I did not get to do an in-depth look at the Rondo as you will see.

My wife originally wanted to get a minivan for our soon-to-be family and we set out to do some research and looking. She was very much wanting a Honda Oddesy, but I had concerns over the price, gas mileage, and the fact that it would barely fit our garage. Our next step down would be the Mazda MPV and then a step down from that was the Rondo and Mazda5. I had briefly looked at the 5 and Rondo, and we went to look at all 3. Out first stop was the Mazda dealer where my wife found an MPV that she really loved. Long story short, I hated the ride and size, so we drove the Mazda5. She really enjoyes how the 5 drove and took the entire test drive.

That test drive basically sealed the deal. And I think it's a reminder of the fact that we all have different priorities. I tried to get her to also drive the Rondo to cross shop, but the large rear doors of the Rondo and it's looks were not for her. She also was concerned about the Kia reputation, though I have done the research and driven several newer Hyundai/Kia vehicles and did not see any quality concerns.

I know my story is a bit one-sided, but that's sometimes how it goes. Do I think that the Mazda5 is that much better than the Kia? No. I think it's nice to have have such contrasting choices in the market. I am glad for the 5 as I really enjoy tha handling and the sliding doors are already extremely handy.

As far as versatility, I think that on paper, the Kia shows more seating configurations, but I am not sure how big the difference is in reality. The biggest plus I saw for the Rondo was the ability to have 5 people and all the cargo space. In my case, more than 4 people is rare, and we have found that 2+2+1 in the MZ5 is more comfortable than 2+3 in a mid-sized sedan (my family has a 2001 Nissan Maxima). In our case the relative comfort of 2+2+1 trumps the extra cargo room of 2+3.

Honestly, the biggest selling point for us on the MZ5 for the driving dynamics. It's still not quite int he league of say the Mazda3 or perhaps a sports sedan like a BMW, but it drives on par with my parent's 2001 Maxima (with a much better ride). One of our first distance trips was through the winding back roads on the Washington Palouse, and the bolstered seats were very nice and supportive as my wife's smile and confidence in cornering grew along the trip. My short impression of the Kia was that the handling was not nearly as sharp, but that the ride was smoother. this is an important trade-off for people, as roads are seldom smooth (especially in this area).

Overall, you have to find the vehicle that fits you and your needs. I have no qualms recommending the Mazda5 to anyone looking for an efficient sport tourer. That said, if family or friends asked for a recommendation, I would say to look at the competition before settling. In basic terms, the MZ5 and the Rondo are both comfortable 4-seaters with some extra room for 2 or 3 more on occasion.

There are a few things that one offers over the other as well. The big difference is the available V6 in the Rondo. It may be nice for some, that we wanted a 4. Also, the Rondo offers stability control and it is not available on the MZ5. Again, not a big deal for me, but worth noting. The MZ5 provides LATCH points for the 4 rear seats and I believe the Rondo only offers them in the middle row. Probably not a huge deal, but a bit of an oddity. Another small, but notable difference is that the Rondo 2nd row headrests need to be removed to fold flat, where the MZ5's do not. Also, the MZ5 has very hand storage cubbies under the 2nd row seats. We use these frequently and find them very useful.

One thing I did not get to check and would offer as a question to the Rondo owners: How are the headlights? The Mazda5 headlights (Standard, not HID) are some of the best I have ever seen. Most headlights are good, but there is a rare model (the late 90s Toyota Camry comes tome mind) that have poor headlight performance.
  • Now, If you read the whole text on the replies you get 0% APR from KIA or Mazda ;)

Anyone who makes blanket statements putting a Kia down vs. other Asian car products is a clown

Keep on mind that KIA quality was not born overnight so the stigma of poor quality and poor design still exists (please note I said stigma). Just see KIA and its models some years back and you will note that the "clowns" still have a reason to be "clowns".

OK, not pinpointing to Korean cars, Remember Datsun? or even Toyota during their early times? Japanese quality? not really (my dad owned a 1969 Datsun and that thing broke down at least once a week)

Now, talking about Asian cars, would you buy a Chinese car today? :surprise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F06LjugtIUo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZWy_fASSiQ
  • mrbwa1, thanks for your post. Very informative and you've certainly done your research. I always value people's opinions a little more when they've actually kicked the tires of the vehicles that they're talking about.

Everything that you've said makes sense to me. I just wanted to add a small comment to something that you've said: "In our case the relative comfort of 2+2+1 trumps the extra cargo room of 2+3." For the Rondo, you can choose either option--people can sit 2+2+1 or 2+3. It's exactly this kind of available choice, this kind of configurability, that enamours me to the Rondo. But if we're just talking about comfort, it's probably somewhat more comfortable for two people to sit on bucket seats in the second row rather than on bench seats.

Like you've implied in your post, the perceived advantages that one vehicle may have over the other are not as great as the enthusiasts on either side would like you to believe. And quite honestly, if I had chosen the Mazda5, I would be content with that, too.

About the headlights in the Rondo, I'm not sure what to say about it. It gives off light and I can see. A handful of people have stated that the low beams don't seem to extend out far enough and have a sharp cut-off. I think one guy has noticed that the headlights dim or flicker on some occasions.
  • bgwbgw Posts: 116
    My wife and I have an 07 EX V6 Luxury. We find that the headlights are fantastic, easily the best of any vehicle we have ever owned (American and Japanese).
    The low-beams DO extend out far, it just appears that they have a sharp cut-off since they are so intense (the fog lamps are unnecessary in anything but foggy conditions). And they are quite wide too, allowing a clear view to the sides of the road (necessary where I live for spotting moose in the ditches).
    The high-beams are nothing short of amazing - I have been able to light up road signs just over a mile in the distance (according to my odo) and they shine an even wider beam. I like the slightly blue tint of the lights as well, not as overtly blue as some other cars (like Land Rover).
    We also shopped the MZ5, but the Rondo won since the MZ5 is not rated to tow anything. At all. Zip.
    Brian
    Newfoundland
    bgw and medecineman,

Thanks for the comments! I really think that the Kias have come a long ways in even just a couple years and it's nice to have that competition. I appreciate the headlights comments, and it sounds like they are about the same as the MZ5. Broad lighting pattern with a sharp cutoff as well. I did also forget to mention that the Kia was rated for toeing. This is definitely a big deal (though not in my case).

We just got the 1st snowfall this week and more is expected tonight, and first reports from the wife are that the Dunlop Wintersport 3ds are holding their own. Hopefully I'll get a change to test them out tonight, as we have our Soon To Be Parents class. I must admit that it's a bit depressing to see the black steelies on the MZ5 after only having it about a month, so summer will be a welcom change with the mags back on!
  • conwelpicconwelpic Ontario, CanadaPosts: 600
    bqw - I agree with you on the low-beams and I like the wide beam it helps catch the deer coming out of the trees and ditches and also the high-beams are like flood lights makes my other vehicle look like two flashlights on the front end :)

mrbwa1 - Liked you assessment for of the Mazda 5, it was our second consideration but due to late presentation of the 2008 model (I think not till January) we didn't test drive the Mazda 5. We purchased a 2008 Rondo EX 5-seater with the 4 cylinder engine (Canadian model). With the 5-seater the rear seats drop down with a simple one hand operation and no removal of the headrests and provides a flat floor with no gaps - great for our large dog. For ourselves, we preferred the hinged rear door to the sliding door and also had no need for the extra 3rd seats, just like the extra underfloor storage in that area. Hard to fault the build quality of the Rondo; performance is outstanding with the 2.4L and stereo system and operating controls are fantastic.
  • Medicine Man, thanx for you reply! Very helpful. And mrbwa1's reply was also very helpful. I haven't decide yet but I think I'm leaning to the Rondo. Like you say, I think the Rondo is a little more useful cuz of the many choices of cargo-passenger combinations...and it also has ESC which is good for a family vehicle. Besides, I have a sports car already so I don't need a sporty family vehicle...I just want one that is most versatile. But it's not a done deal yet. I'll keep reading. Thanx again!
  • I'm glad you liked my ramblings, bowserh. There are Rondo owners out there who think the same way as you do. I think there's an assumption that no car enthusiast or no real "driver" would choose the Rondo. The fact is, all you have to do is read the Rondo forums and you will figure out quite quickly that there are a number of car enthusiasts who have purchased the Rondo. Mind you, I call anyone who knows more than I do about cars a "car enthusiast," which is pretty much everyone. Heck, just a few months ago, I didn't even know what "detailing" meant. I thought it was something that insurance adjusters did.

Anyways, where was I? Oh, yeah, car enthusiasts buying Rondos. It's probably true that they wouldn't have bought the Rondo if it were their only vehicle, but their reasoning seems to be pretty much the same as yours--the Rondo is their family car and they have another car that is their "fun" car. Yeah, I know that's a backhanded compliment to the Rondo, but it also shows that they were most likely attracted by the Rondo's biggest selling point, its versatility and configurability.

There might also be the impression that, due to comparisons to the Mazda5, the Rondo must have poor performance and handling. In my personal experience, my 4-cylinder Rondo performs and handles just fine. In Canada (not sure about the States), the Rondo is advertised as an "urban utility vehicle." That's just another useless advertising slogan, but it happens to aptly describe how I use the Rondo. I use the Rondo almost entirely in the city to move people and/or cargo in short jaunts. The Rondo has more than enough power for this kind of task and is surprisingly nimble in negotiating the urban nightmare.

As nimble as the Mazda5? According to the reviews, I would say No. But this doesn't necessarily mean that its handling is poor--just not as good as the Mazda5. I've read about one hundred reviews of the Rondo (I kid you not) and according to my subjective meta-analysis, the vast majority of reviews state that the Rondo's performance/handling is good or adequate. Yeah, not impressive, but not bad, either.

For me, not being a real "driver," good or adequate is good enough. "Good enough" wouldn't be good enough if we were talking about sports cars, but we're talking about mini people movers here. The vast majority of Rondo reviews have been positive and I'm assuming just a few of those reviewers must be car enthusiasts, eh? If these guys can give the Rondo a thumbs up, there must be something to owning a vehicle that is all about practicality with no sports car aspirations. Believe it or not, there is a certain beauty to practicality done well, without flash and panache.

None of this really matters, of course, if the Rondo is too fugly and dorky in one's eyes for one to even consider it. In that case, I'll just continue to drive around in my doofus-mobile (because I'm just too damned clued out to realize how intrinsically butt-ugly it is), scaring the wits out of every decent, God-loving woman and child, and causing every adult male to wet himself due to uncontrollable gaiety. Didn't Jesus once saith, "Greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the Rondo"? A real man would be driving a real car, a real hot and sporty number, right? Well, I'm not lacking so I don't need to compensate, ya know. (Yes, I'm joking--who said this had to be funny in order for it to be a joke?)

BTW, if you're American, you should probably know that all vehicles in the States will eventually have ESC. If a functional seven-seater Mazda5 ever shows up in North America, that along with the inclusion of ESC would pretty much make it the definitive mini hauler (on paper, at least). Of course, by then, Honda, Toyota and everyone else will have one of these type of vehicles available in North America and it will be a different ball game.
    looks like Mazda Canada is starting to get the 2008 info set (looks like its not all complete at this time) the base GS model has increased by $800 and the GT now include a/c as standard but is reflected in the price. The new 5-speed auto is now an $1100 option up from $1000 for the 2007 4-speed version.
    it now appears that they have got the Mazda Canada site updated with all the relavent info and you can also download the owners manual for the 2008 Mazda 5 and then you can go to the KIA Canada site and download the owners manual for the Rondo. With this type of information anyone trying to decide between the two models can make a more accurate comparison.

Mazda 5 sales in Canada for November 2007 - 711, Rondo - 670
    Mazda 5 sales in USA for Nov - 468, Rondo - 3570
  • ata10ata10 Posts: 5
    It's interesting to see how well the Rondo is selling in US and Canada. I also found the sales numbers for other Kia models in Canada. Look here:

http://www.kia-world.net/index.php/2007/12/04/kia-canada-november-sales/
  • Mazda 5 sales in Canada for November 2007 - 711, Rondo - 670
    Mazda 5 sales in USA for Nov - 468, Rondo - 3570

Assuming these numbers are correct, they show a few things:

(1) Canadians bought about a third of this class of cars as the Americans, although the population is much smaller.
    (2) Americans prefer the Rondo much more that the Mazda, while the Canadians show only a slight preference to the Mazda.

while #1 is probably due to the American culture ("I want my car big!"), I wonder what is the reason for #2. Is it better Mazda marketing or pricing in Canada?

(I live in the Boston area, and a Kia Rondo EX V6 owner)
  • kivokivo Posts: 64
    The Mazda5 is hardly advertised in the USA, so that no doubt accounts for the poor sales here.
  • Agreed, I have not seen a high drop in advertising for the Mazda5 since I got my first one (06) back in 05. I just got a 2nd one (08) and mostly based on current experience, the word of mouth and the news on the Web, nothing else... Still, I love both with that Manual Tranny :)

I believe that we may need more trending numbers to draw the conclusion that zklopman is posting, although yes, I see a preference for the Rondo over the Mazda5 here in the US. Possibly one of the top attributes of the Mazda5 is scaring off Americans: the sliding door as it "resembles" a Minivan (just see how the Mazda5 is classified within this forum :surprise: ). In Europe and Asia minivans are not well known so it doesn't fall into that classification (and they are hot items there)
    I can only comment on the American market and can point out a few things. I have NEVER seen advertising for the Mazda5. I only knew about it from reading the car blogs and magazines. The Rondo, on the other hand, had that weirs rainbow commercial advertising cabinology or something like that.

I think that the Rondo's big advantage in the US is the dealer network/setup, along with the advertising. The MZ5 is a relative unknown to shoppers because of the lack of advertising. So if a person comes in looking at say a Mazda3, the sell-up is either to a 3 hatchback, a 6 or the CX-7 CUV. Even if the 5 is presented as an alternative, all the uneducated buyer will see is MINIVAN sliding doors! I don't know why, but Americans seem to have a dislike for sliding doors, even while complaining about tight parking spots.

The Rondo slots in at a different point. Kia advertises heavily, and especially in my area, there is a constant ad along the lines of: "Need a Car? Have $99? Come see Kia." This may bring people in for the basic Rio. Also, due to Kia's ever-increasing quality, I believe that the repeat buyer numbers are probably pretty high. So you either have someone coming in looking at a new Rio/Optima, or maybe a previous owner looking for a bigger car. For Kia, the Rondo is that bigger car. The Sportage CUV is there, but the Rondo can be presented as a cheap bigger car.The the uneducated buyer, the Rondo is a car (4 doors) and is styled vaguely crossover-ish.

I don't think that most people research and analyze several alternatives as much as those here on the forums. For those that don't, I think Kia has a better up-sell/cross-sell path to the Rondo than Mazda does to the 5. For those the take the time to get educated, both the 5 and Rondo come out a great cars in different ways. That is the think about competition, in it's true form, competition tends to bring out several good alternatives.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    Anyone with experience with the temperature in the 3rd row for either the Rondo or Mazda5? I'm wondering how any heat gets to the feet of 3rd row passengers. Can heat flow under the 2nd row seats to the floor of the 3rd row?
  • As per the Mazda5 the complaints were always based in A/C, but not heating (even for the Canadian fellows). I just tried the A/C feature on my 08 and it works great, yet is difficult to say, as is Winter :P. I'll have to wait until Summer to try it out I guess.

Regardless, the front seats have ducts underneath to make the air circulate around.

Now that I think, 6 people seating in a Mazda5 sounds like a lot of human heat to me, who needs a powerful heater for that? :D
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    I've just driven in cars where I've had cold feet before, so I don't want a repeat of that!
  • radar1radar1 Posts: 25
    Today we drove the Rondo 4 cyl. I think it's a nice vehicle, and roomy inside considering it's external size. It rode nice, cornered better than I expected, and has a longer cargo area with the 2nd and 3rd row folded than my Dodge Dakota quad cab pickup bed. I definitely liked the 5 passenger version better than the 7 passenger version when it came to folding the rear seats. My wife thinks the Sportage looks nicer, so now I'll have to research that one some more, especially since we ruled out the 7 passenger Rondo.
    Next we'll try the Mazda5, which I think we'll both like, but the biggest drawbacks I see that might keep me from selecting the Mazda5 is that even after 3 years, there are still no NHTSA or IIHS test ratings (Rondo has NHTSA ratings for both the 07 and 08 models); I wouldn't be able to tow my canoe and camping gear due to towing not recommended (don't want to risk the warranty), and it doesn't have ESC or TCS like most cars have these days. Guess we'll try it to see if the driving impression overcomes the shortcomings.
  • I'm not into SUVs, but if your wife likes the Sportage you better listen to her and make her happy ;-). Just joking, I think the drive tests will give you the last part of the information you need to make a decision at the end

My only comment is with regards to the NHTS tests. I understand that they would need to be donet, but I would not be concerned at all about the outcome. The Mazda5/Premacy has passed the Euro NCAP and Japanese NCAP with the maximum star ratings each. I can tell you that at least the Euro NCAP is one of the most meticulous programs globally (day-to-day tests include BMWs and Volvos)

http://www.automotoportal.com/article/Mazda_5_Wins_Highest_Crash_Safety_Rating
    figures just being announced:
    Rondo: Dec 1,872, YTD 2007 - 26,020; YTD 2006 - 594
    Mazda 5: Dec 1,627, YTD 2007 - 13,718; YTD 2006 - 17,109 - decline of 19.8%
  • radar1radar1 Posts: 25
    Well. I drove the Mazda5, and I liked the way it handled, but then I also liked the way the Rondo handled. Also drove the Mazda Tribute which I didn't like, and a Subaru Outback wagon, which we both liked.
    I wish there was a vehicle that had the best features of all and combined them, like the sliding doors and armrests on the Mazda5, the safety rating and tow rating of the Subaru (now 2700 lbs), and the warranty and seating flexibility of the Rondo. Right now we're leaning toward either the Rondo or Outback as the best choice for our needs.
    The Euro NCAP tests are interesting, showing the Mazda5 slightly better than the Rondo (Carens) for adults, but the Rondo scored better for children. I haven't found the link for the Japanese NCAP tests yet.
  • Yaaay!!, at least I contributed with one for December :D. Not bad numbers for zero Mazda5 marketing :)

After the first month driving my 08 I feel even more compelled by the Mazda5 changes made compared to my 06. Some of them are subtle (i.e. new luminescent gauges) but Mazda addressed them very well regardless of the sales number. To me indicates that US remains a key market for them, at least to keep the momentum for their Mazda3 and CX-9 cash cows (i.e. A/C for the 2nd row was added only for the US and Canadian markets).

In order to negotiate with the dealer for my 08 I quickly checked the Rondo on the KIA web site and read some related web articles. I found that some things are gone from the Rondo 07 to the Rondo 08, while the 08 Mazda5 was adding more items for almost the same price (auto A/C, 2nd row A/C, electroluminescent gauges, more armrests, black cd console plate, aux input, body colored mirrors for the Sport trim, etc.).

In my case, for the 2 Mazda5s final price (new), there is only around 200USD difference. After 2+yrs, not bad at all.
  • I think this just emphasizes my key market point made earlier:

Toyota passes Ford as second largest automaker in the U.S.
    Mazda grows the most in 2007

Big ups to Mazda, which won our coveted Biggest Winner of the Year honor by growing its daily average sales rate 9.8% and selling nearly 300,000 vehicles

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/03/by-the-numbers-2007/
    the Mazda 5 did very well in Canada. selling 727 units in December vs 621 for the Rondo.
    YTD for the Mazda 5 - 11,690 vs 8,694 for 2006
    YTD for the Rondo - 7,638 vs 85 for 2006

Base price of the 2008 Mazda 5 has increase $800 plus $1100 for 5 spd auto and $1100 for a/c