Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Caravan/Voyager Electrical Issues

Comments

• Had spark plugs changed after that had issues with van reving up for no reason. Van will try to accelerate while trying to stop (no fun) and when driving the rmps jump up and a/c cuts on and off. Took to 1st mechanic who changed a gasket. No help. Took to 2nd mechanic changed some part but no help. Does anyone have ANY idea at all? Cannot afford another mechanic. Please give me ideas.

Thanks
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Mechanics that throw parts at a problem don't qualify to be called "mechanics". You need to find someone who will do a proper diagnosis of the problem (which could range from vacuum leaks, sensor failures, and computer problems) and fix only what's broken. Unfortunately the only way to properly determine what's wrong will be to hire a competent mechanic, and that's going to cost you some money.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    That is my thought as well. Since the problem started right after spark plugs were changed (which is an incredible pain in the rear!), I suspect a vacuum problem. Several vacuum hoses must be disconnected/moved aside in order to reach the plugs on the back side of the engine. I broke a very well-aged hose for the PCV system on my van when changing the plugs. Since it was my van, though, I had the incentive to replace the hose rather than ignore it.... ;)
  • I don't know if you had a reply to this or not, but I have a 96 Voyager, and the same thing happened to me and all it was, was a bare wire that was touching the engine. It was the little cluster of wires that are on the right side of the engine, Between the battery and the engine. I guess thats a good description of where it is.
  • I saw the other discussion on here about the air bag light, but saw no real good responses except for the instrument cluster replacing thing. My thing also is I keep having to mess with the fuse box under my dash to get my turn signals to work. Sometimes they will work without a problem for a while, then other times I just have to keep messing with that fuse box. I've had it for like 2 years and almost got 210,000 miles on it. So if someone could help me it would be appreciated.
    The fix for the air bag light and inoperable horn is to replace the clock spring in the steering wheel.
  • The other night, I dragged the bumper exiting a parking lot. Since that time my instrument cluster does not work (speedo, fuel gauge, tach, odometer, etc.) the back-up sensors are also out. Also the main brake lights do not work. The van is equipped with a factory installed 7 wire trailer plug as well, which is what dragged. Upon investigation I found that the wires leading to the plug were bare and some were crossed. I also found the green lead (I assume it is the ground) was broken. I repaired the green wire and isolated the others, but to no avail.

Any ideas?
    Have you checked your fuse box? The crossed wires may have blown one (or more)....
  • Yes. I didn't see any, but I'm also not sure which one it would be.
  • My '97 GC ES runs well, but tonight, the lights will not go off. Pulled in the driveway, put it in park, and removed the key. The dinging sound started (lights on), and would not quit. The interior lights, plus the headlights remained on, even after the door is closed. The dinging stopped, but the lights remained on. I disconnected the battery, and then reconnected it-no effect. I left it disconnected tonight so that I could get it to the mechanic in the morning. Anyone have any ideas? And yes, the doors are all tightly closed. Thanks in advance.
  • Problem solved; somehow, the dimmer switch had been rolled to "on". $15.00 later (they tightened back up the battery cable), and we are back in business. Whoo!
  • ac blinking lights wont stop
  • I had the same problem, I ended up just unhooking it altogether. Then eventually went and bought a panel from the junk yard.
    did you recently disconnect the battery or have a dead battery? If so, the A/C system needs to be reset using a diagnostic process. I think, if you start the van, then press and hold the top and bottom buttons on the left side (I cannot remember which they are... the rear wiper and the mist buttons?), it should run through a diagnostic process that takes about 30-45 seconds. All of the buttons will blink regularly during this process. If everything checks out, they will all shut off once it is finished. If not, the lights on the left will blink out a code to tell you what did not succeed.
  • kgetzkgetz Posts: 1
    I'm having the exact same problem with my 02 Grand Caravan. Except with mine, it won't start either! :lemon:
    It doesn't start.... but what does it do? In other words, what happens when you try to start it?
  • My wife 2000 Chrysler Voyager Left turn signal & left harzard light does work , Replaced the left side unit
  • My wife 2000 Chrysler Voyager Left turn signal & left harzard light does work , Replaced the left side unit
  • ndissndiss Posts: 2
    Our 2002 GC seemed to be holding on to a low battery, however, the van would still start and seemed to be fine once started and the instruments came to life. The other day my wife started the van and it started and then quit. She did it again and it started and then stopped on its own. She tried this three to four times and the van would stop after starting and then it would not even engage the starter. Some may say it's the battery, but I don't think a bad battery would have enough juice to crank over a cold engine and then not have enough electricity left to send to the alternator to excite it. This being said, I tried a different battery from our other car and no luck, no starter engagement, however the radio, instrument cluster and heater fan seem to work fine. Does anyone have any ideas as to where I should start looking without driving a new vehicle under the antenna?
    Thanks, ndiss
  • hello,
    The interior lights stay on from the moment i unlock the doors.
    After locking the doors they only stop after 15 minutes (security)
    outside lamps function properly but the chime is ringing when i open the door even if they are shut down.
    Only the rear interior lights stay on, the front interior function properly but dont turn on automatically when i unlock the doors.
    Well if you have some helping ideas they are welcome ;)
    Cheers,
    Will