Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Caravan/Voyager Electrical Issues

Comments

• We were out and about all day, stopped to run an errand and that was that. The van would not restart, would turn over but not start, thinking that it was the starter that was already giving me trouble I replaced it. No change... I found that as long as the battery had a charge the starter would turn the flywheel so it wasn't that, and after pulling one of the spark plug wires off there was no spark.

After talking to a few people I decided to take a chance and replace the ignition coil...no dice there either...
    Does anyone have an idea of where I should start next?? :sick:
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    I have a friend that had a similar problem with an 89 Shadow (it had the 2.5 liter 4 cylinder engine as well). It turned out to be the timing belt. He had the belt replaced and it was fine. If it is a timing belt failure, you should not have any engine damage because this engine has a non-interference design. Good luck.
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Posts: 249
    Not to flame you or anything, but do you think the kia will last 8 years with 142,000 miles? I read all of the Kia Sedona problems board, with the conclusion that their 10/100,000 warranty is useless. Also a second-hand 2005 cuts the original warranty in half
  • well, I got a brand new 2006 kia sportage. not sure where the sedona came about. Quite honestly, all I know is it's not a dodge and I really don't care. I bought my car with 67k on it (voyager) and I got 4 years out of it. so by the time I got it, it was already 4 so in total, 8 years. I have a friend who has a 99 kia sportage and he's going on 101k and his only problem is cruise control issues. so talk to me in 8 years and I'll let you know the answer!
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Posts: 249
    Your post said 2005 sportage. If you purchased a new 2006, you do have a 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty. I was just relaying what I have read about Kia not honoring their generous warranty on many occaisions in the Kia minivan disscussions. Maybe you'll have better luck with your new vehicle, rather than getting a 4 year old vehicle with almost 70,000 miles.
  • We have a 96 Caravan with 250,000 miles. The car has been great. No problems that I would not expect. About 25,000 miles ago it started having a little electric problem. From other posts I have searched here I have other vans that have symptoms that are similar, with one exception. Every once in a while the car will start, but as soon as you let the key go to the “run” position, it will die. When this happens, the digital gauges will not light. If you let the car sit for a period of time (a few hours at least, usually overnight before we try to start it again), it always starts and runs fine. However, sometimes the gauges will go out while driving and nothing happens. It has never died once running but the alarm set light comes on when all gauges go to zero and digital indicators go out. Sometimes the car will start and run fine for a month. Sometimes it will act up 3 times a week.

Only one dealer will look at it anymore and he has no idea. At least they didn’t charge me. My normal mechanic has no idea. The electrical guy we take the cars to has no idea. We have replaced the: BCM, downstream O2 sensor, the MAP sensor, ignition switch. I have a feeling the alarm system is causing this. However I have been told the alarm is integral to the BCM and cant’ be deactivated. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • My driver side door open/closed sensor is not working. When I open the door, the dome lights don't go on and when I open the door after driving, ignition alarm doesn't ring and the radio stays on.

Is the sensor expensive, where is it located and can I replace it myself?
  • otis9otis9 Posts: 8
    Update, still dead.
    Finally found a service manager at a local Chysler dealer that would give me a clue!
    He told me to check the fusable links in the wiring harness.
    He was nice enough to eplain they are orange in color ad tagged "fuse link". They are still hard to find. Looks just like an orange wire spliced into rhe middle of a red (or other color) wire. Some were covered with factory electrical tape.
    Found one burnt going to the first (front) relay. Spliced in a new wire and it burned more as soon as I turned on the key.

Anyone know if a bad relay could cause the problem or what that relay controls? Radiator fan? :confuse:
  • I have a 1997 Dodge Caravan SE that I was told by my mechanic that the computer was going out and needed to be replaced. On Halloween night, the door locks kept going up and down. The interior lights kept coming on and off. The door ajar light kept coming on. It is still doing it. Any suggestions on what could be the problem? If the computer system needs to be replaced how do I go about doing it?
    Problem found!!
    As I was flipping thru Chilton's for 20th+ time, I ran across a drawing (no where near the electrical section) of the 3 relays on the driver's side inner fender.
    The front relay is the radiator relay. I unplugged the fan & spliced what was left of the fuseable link. The van started right up & didn't burn the link.
    Picked up an after market inline replaceable fuse link & a new fan motor.
    I soldered the new link in place of the factory fuseable link wire.
    The new motor was around $45 at Advanced Auto Parts.
    You have to drill the rivets out of the mounting bracket & replace them with bolts. Well worth messing with. I was quoted around $143 for the whole assembly

I have a 98 Cavalier that had a fan motor go out also.
    At least GM puts a fuse box under the hood that doesn't shut down half of the electrical system if the fuse blows!

Hope this helps someone in the future!
  • I have a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan. Everything works EXCEPT the turn signals and emergency flashers. I've replaced every fuse - replaced the flasher relay - and replaced the multi-function turn signal switch. I took it to a dodge dealer to have it checked out and they said there was an open in circuit L9 18 BL/WT between fuse 10 in P.D.C. and pin 1 of the combination flasher (don't really knows what that means). I am currently out of work because of health reasons and unable to afford a costly repair. Can some one out there point me in the right direction in how I might fix this problem ???? Is there anywhere on the net I can get step by step instructions and illustrations on how to proceed from here ?
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Posts: 419
    It sounds like the dealer has done much of the troubleshooting for you. Your local library may have a copy of the Mitchell's book for your year. It won't tell you how to further troubleshoot your problem but it will have the wiring diagram that you can follow. You may have a loose connector or a pinched/broken wire somewhere.
  • I have two problems that look similar to some that I've read about, but not exactly. My van's wipers work whenever they want. Sometimes they will turn on at a constant rate (not intermittent) regardless of the setting, but mostly they don't work. Another, new problem, involves the door locks, gas gauge, and rear wiper. They stopped working a couple days ago, but sometimes will start working for a few seconds while I'm driving. The rear wiper seems to wipe once every time I start the engine, I press the on button to turn it off. If I try to unlock the doors with the electrical switch, they all lock (opposite of what it should do). I think its probably some kind of fuse/relay, but I have no idea where to begin. Please respond if you have any suggestions. Thanks!
    My 91 completely shut down.
    I haven't had the same type of problems you are. Judging by the way things are acting, I'd guess the problem my be in The Body Control Modual (BCM)?
    The only intermitent problem is my speedometer. Some times it will not work when you start it up and drive down the road. All of a sudden I here a ding & it it'll start working. The needle might stick at 10 to 35 mph at a stand still.
    Maybe you can get some info from a local Chrysler dealer's service manager (but don't hold your breath).
  • have Plymouth Grand Voyager 1999. I notice intermediate many electrical problem

1. My passenger side window regular stop working

2. Bigger problem is my lift gate lock remins in lock position not able to open i.e. can not close

Any advice ?

Thanks,
  • If anyone has an explanation or easy fix please let me know. Our 2006 chry. van will go into door ajar / locks and interior lights flashing on and off while we are driving. Sometimes slamming the passenger side sliding door solves it but lately that seems not to be working. Dealer thought expensive diagnostics might locate problem.
  • vchengvcheng Posts: 1,286
    Quite often the rubber stop develops a dimple, leading to incomplete inactivation of the switch.
  • My speedometer & tachometer gauges just stopped working & they peg out when I start the car; I have checked all the fuses I can see & none were blown; everything else works fine. Have to correct for xmas trip, back home, out of state.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Mark
  • I'm having the same problem with the both gauges but no other problems noted; good luck
    Mark
  • cckittens & response by Jim Imandy; Now that I looked at my speed/tach gauges I see they have spun around & are being held down by the pin. Any thougths on how to correct this or access the gauges?
    Mark K