Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Montana Electrical Issues

Comments

• ray80ray80 Posts: 1,250
    I can only guess, but its sounds like an electrical supply problem. I am not familiar with the Montana, but I think first I would check the hot connection to the under hood fuse box (from battery) to see if it is loose or maybe corroded. Also seeing as it is a 2001, does it still have original battery (it may be getting tired)?
  • It's crazy and I was wondering if anyone else has seen this.

It goes dead, we replace it and everything works for a while. It's been about once a year we wind up replacing it. This time, the battery was under warranty, so at least that.

If it were the alternator, I think we'd know. If there's a ground somewhere, you'd think if it sat idle for a few days, it'd go dead.

It happens all at once and when it does, it won't hold a charge.

Am I missing anything?
    It kinda sounds like parasitic battery drain, and since it takes so long, could be pretty miserable to find.
  • I also have a 2001 Pontiac Montana and I also had the same problem except my problem was with the left rear light fixture. That may rule out the exhaust as a common cause and it just may be a cheap plastic connector issue. I replaced the connector with a new one ($59 with pigtails) and the van works just fine now. I checked the right rear light fixture connector and it was fine. Thanks for posting this problem. It saved me a lot of money.
  • I have similar problems with my 2003 Montana; drivers side passenger slider (automatic) now won't work at all...is locked shut and can't be opened either manually or with any buttons; what did you find out about yours? Thanks.
  • I tried to read the article ont this site and can't. My vehicle has been starting just fine. The other day, I tried to start it, but it wouldn't start. You could almost hear a noise like....a release of air compression. All of the lights work fine. Starter maybe? It's still under extended warranty. I tried again 5 minutes later and it was fine. Now this morning (two days later), it won't start again. I have just had a transmission redone, the fuel sensor replaced, and am scheduled to have the dash cluster replaced due to a inaccurate spedometer AND fuel guage. Any suggestions on the current issue? Any more I should know about?

Thanks.
  • I have the same problem on my 2001 Pontiac Montana and did the same thing you did... replaced the tail light connector and the circuit board as well...however while my husband is connecting the wires he sparked it and somehow blew a fuse...we checked the fuse and replaced the burned one but unfortunately all our turn signals wont work...we checked the signal light flasher but there's nothing wrong with it...does anybody knows something that we missed??? we need help...
  • Sorry to take so long to reply. I was out of town.
    The Montana has a fuse box AND a Circuit Breaker Box,,,it might be "tripped".
    To reset, see the owners manual.
    Jack
  • bebz75bebz75 Posts: 2
    Jack, thank you so much for responding to my post...everythings working great now... ;) :)
  • aztoazto Posts: 2
    I have 99 Pontiac Montana. Its front wiper only runs on high, dosn't work on any other setting. Does anyone ecncounter this problem and do you know what was the problem, switch or module?
  • kwoodmankwoodman Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Montana and my wipers (front) only work on high as well. Also, the fan for the heater/air conditioner doesn't work on 3. (very weird)
    Does anyone know what to do about the wipers? It is becoming a big problem.
  • Yes...I believe there are little circuit boards (about 1 inch by 2 inches) up inside the dash area that control the wiper delays and fan speeds (might be 1 board for each function). The heater fan delay board cost me about $75. I had my mechanic friend do the work for $100..... as it is impossible to do the work unless you are an alien with 12 arms!
    Good luck.
    Jack in Colorado
  • I have a 2001 Montana the rear taillights on either side are not working when the brake is applied.The centre light does work on the tailgate.Bulbs are ok.,turn signals work fine as well as 4 way flasher any suggestions where to look first :(
  • This is a common problem which we have talked about several times on this web-site.
    Could be two different problems..
    1. simply a tail light bulb is burned out and causing a false reading in the computer or a power feedback.
    2. but probably it's a short in the tail light fixture (pig-tail). The pig-tail supplier used a plastic that could not withstand the heat, so the black power wire is shorting out on one or more wires (in the pig-tail). You will need to remove the tail light fixture, cut out the defective pig-tail (smell the burned plastic, and view the melted female recepticals!!??), install the new pig-tail, be sure to use a di-electric grease in the new socket, install new bulbs and test.
    Good luck.
    This problem has been reported on the NHTSA web-site, but GM refuses to do the recall.
    Jack
  • garvinkgarvink Posts: 2
    I have lost one of the two keys to my 2002 montana. I had a spare made and it will not start the vehicle. Does anyone know of a way to bypass the theft deterrent system so that the new key will work? My van is not really worth much money so i am not too concerned with it being stolen. If anyone has any advice or information i would appreciate it very much.

I think this is the correct place to post this.

Regards
    Is the spare an official one with the chip in it? Also do you have one key that still works? If so feel free to send me an e-mail and I may know how to get it working
  • alexm99alexm99 Posts: 1
    same here , i have a 2003 and the numb#3 on my fan doesnt work and now we are having wiper issues... that's a big coincidence if you ask me.. and of course GM doesnt know whats going on but they don't hesitate in wasting my time and money
  • Two problems:
    The passenger side seat heater does not work

the passenger side UNLOCK doesnt work.. you can Lock, but the switch doesnt work to Unlock..

All fuses look good, any thoughts??
  • brett13brett13 Posts: 3
    I have a 2000, and I just changed the oil! Warning light comes on saying time to change the oil?? I have over 2500 miles left on the oil change. Any ideas anyone? Also , I hear this happens alot with Montana, the gas sensor is broke. My needle shows full tank all the time! I heard eight hundred dollars to fix, so I will keep it full for now! If this has happened to anyone else, or you have any ideas on what I should do , please respond back. Thank you!!
  • losmoranslosmorans Posts: 1
    I doubt anyone is surprised by the title. :) Actually, my Montana has been incredible trouble free over the past nine years/70K miles. Yesterday the turn signals and backup light (driver's side) started acting up. The driver's side back up light is working but a lot dimmer than the passenger side. When I put the vehicle in reverse both green arrow turn signal indicators come one. The turn signals and emergency flashers work but the left turn signal hyper-flashes if I press the brake when it is engaged. I have replaced every brake, turn, backup, and license plate lamp/bulb in the front and rear. There is no visible damage to the wires/connectors. In addition, and perhaps coincidently, the ABS and TCS lights started coming on randomly on the same day. They clear with an engine restart. I checked the fluid levels and all ok. Any suggestions on either of these problems other than selling it?

Thanks - Dave
  • rogerhuntrogerhunt Posts: 2
    They front wipers on my Montana 2001 are currently parked in the vertcial position, been this way for over a week. Is this a do it yourself fix - anyone fixed this problem have advice - as it seems common ?

Edit : I did another site search - and it looks like I may have to replace a relay board... will see if my mechanic will do this for me.
  • jhirneisenjhirneisen Posts: 64
    Dave,
    No surprise at all! Common problem which has been discussed several times on this site.
    Basically.....tail light(s) plugs (Pig Tails) were sub-standard and cannot stand the heat of the bulbs. Pull out hear tail light fixtures, remove bulbs from recepticals and check for melting plastic, usually between the black wire (hot wire) and one or more colored wires. If so, cut out old Pig Tail, get a replacement Pig Tail, soder it in (I think about 6 wires), and use electrical shrink wrap around sodered joint, install new bulbs using Di-electric grease in the socket. Test before reinstalling light fixture.
    Jack
    Dave,
    I forgot to mention.......................the plug short can cause electrical feedback...might show up as turn signal lights, ABS, Air-bag, and TCS errors!
    Jack
  • finnecjfinnecj Posts: 1
    Many thanks to Jack. I was having phantom electrical problems with my 2000 Montana and finally the rear stop lights quit working all together. Googling the problem led me to this forum and with your advice, I solved the problems by replacing the pigtails and the circuit boards. A little pricey on parts but the labor wasn't difficult and now the turn signals and stop lights work great. Thanks again.
    Charlie
    Alabama
  • baileyjmbaileyjm Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Montana and had the head gaskets replaced. Since I got it back, once I drive it for a while, it starts to lose power and not want to shift. I noticed all the tranny problems that had been posted and replaced it, but that's not the answer. Also replaced all coil, ignition module, plugs, wires, TP sensor, and computer. Any input or advice will greatly be appreciated.
  • talus1talus1 Posts: 1
    Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I have intermitent issues with electrical. There are times when I start my car that none of the dashboard works or the radio does not work. The Service Engine Soon light will come on and when I take it to the repair shop they cannot find anything wrong. There have been times when I drive down the road that the lights, dashboard and headlight, will fade in and out as if someone is controlling a dimmer switch. Even the dealer ships when they do a diagnostic cannot find what is wrong. However they are willing to trouble shoot the problem with no guarantee for a fix that could cost me several hundred dollars, not to mention they want my car for 7-10 days. If anyone has had this problem, the solution you arrived at would be greatly appreciated.
    I would agree.....maybe a wiring harness problem.....a good chance it's in the rear tail-light clusters.....black wire (hot) shorting out with other wires. Pull the fixtures and smell the sockets!
    Jack in Colorado
    http://www.dexcoolsettlement.com/

For all of you who have had problems with DEX COOL (including me) in Pontiac Montana engines (and the other 2 GM sister mini-vans, and several other GM cars and trucks…Buick, Chevy, Olds, Pontiac), there is a proposed CLASS ACTION SETTLEMENT. GM does not admit any problems, but it looks like they will have to reimburse effected owners.
    See this web-site:
    http://www.dexcoolsettlement.com/

Jack ....in Colorado
  • akashmerakashmer Posts: 12
    Yep thanks I filed