Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus SC 430 Wheels and Tires

kcrosbykcrosby Posts: 2
I am trying to purchase a 2006 sc430 without the run flat tires. My dealer tells me the are not available but that they will change the tires (for a price). I have not found one person that likes the run flat tires. Does anyone know if I truley have to replace them myself? THis does not seem as safe to me as buying the proper tire factory installed etc.. Please help

Comments

• jtmavjtmav Posts: 18
    As far as I can tell the runflat tires are a $400 option. You should be able to get a credit towards regular tires. I would check with a couple of dealers and use it as leverage to close a deal, without the change no deal. Spare tire kit is the question. Is that standard because the runflats are an option? I have an '03 with a new set of Goodyear Eagle F1s that are phenominal. I do not carry a spare but I do have the Conticomfort kit, which is a fix a flat type prodcut that is safe for the tire pressure sensors. I hated the Flintstone cement runfalts. What a beautiful car with the proper tires. Good luck
    JTMav
  • kcrosbykcrosby Posts: 2
    The dealer is charging me $900. to modify the trunk and to add a spare tire (donut). All of the literature about the car states that the run flat is an option but....he told me that they are all sent to the US with the run flat now.
  • I just bought a 2003 SC430 with run flat tires. Since
    I don't like the ride and need to drive the car sometimes
    in the winter on an emergency basis, I bought a spare tire
    kit from lexus-parts.com for around $600 and did the change
    over myself-takes about an hour to do. Am now waiting for
    my Pirelli Nero's to arrive and replace these RFTs.
  • i have the pirelli neros. great ride and so far good in rain
    i carry a can of fix flat or aaa.
  • I am looking for some rims for my SC430. Were shown some Drifz 518S wheels and wanted to know if they were good ones. The price was $850 installed.
    I think I would like some spoke wheels but can't find them in Raleigh,NC
  • Can you have RFT repaired//
  • Both the Pirelli Neros and the Eagle F-1's are "summer" tires not recommended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures or snow and ice. We don't get much of the latter here (Tennessee), but plenty of the former. Any other recommendations for SC 430 run-flat replacements (all-season)?
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    I recommend Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. They are doing a nice job on my wife's SC.
  • Thanks. I bought the Michelin PS 2's over the weekend, and can already tell the difference. I only wish I'd made the switch when I bought the car 16 months ago. At the dealer's suggestion, I put 265's on the back, and 245's on the front. It seems to help traction just a bit (and certainly looks better).
  • guestguest Posts: 774
    Great discussion. Does this mean that the only way to have an SC without the RFTs is to have conventional tires without a spare and carry a "fix-a-flat" kit? If a "donut" spare is possible, how is it accommodated in the SC?
  • I can't find the exact thread right now, but there's a discussion on the Lexus Owners' Club site [http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=3] about a spare conversion kit. I understand the Lexus dealership version may be around $900, but you can get another make (Acura, maybe) that works for a lot less. I've not done this yet, however, so I'd look into it first. Good luck.
  • I found this site using Dog pile, it even shows them on an SC

www.daytonwirewheels.com/lexussc430.htm

good luck,
    shane
  • Couldn't stop laughing from that one.
    Just replaced mine with Continentals.
    And thanks for the tip about the Conticomfort Kit.
    I'd buy a spacesaver tire but not for $500.00
  • shyorkshyork Posts: 1
    I replaced my run flats about a year ago and love the new ride - what I was expecting when I bought the car. Since I do a lot of highway driving, I didn't want to get stuck in the boonies waiting for a flat bed truck. I did a lot of research on options and decided to get the mini spare.

My dealer quoted me $1100 for the kit. Instead I just bought the steel wheel for mini spare from the dealer ($130)Then I purchased the actual tire from a local tire store ($220 installed - pricey but I checked 5 places and they all were within a couple of bucks). The sppare fits nicely in the wheel well and the top still goes down.
  • angelo5angelo5 Posts: 2
    I would like to know where can I buy the compact spare tire
    for 2005 SC 430,size on manual shows 145/70R17 ,need the cover too.The dealer in town don't know perhaps I need a part number or go to different place.
    Thank very much. Angelo5
  • angelo5angelo5 Posts: 2
    I forget to mention that I also need the spare wheel for the Lexus SC430 .Thank You
    Angelo5
  • Has anyone replaced the Bridgestone summer run-flats with the Dunlop all-season run-flats? If so, can you tell any difference in the ride?
  • Lots of people indicate great satisfaction and greatly improved ride with Goodyear F1/D3 as well as Michelin Pilot A/S Plus. I am in the process of replacing my Dunlop run flat tires and installing Michelin's from either Costco or Discount Tire with their lifetime balance and rotation.
  • I got the Michelins about a year ago and love them. I also got slightly wider tires on the back, and it really helps hug the road. Enjoy.
  • OK, so I hate the ride on the runflats but I'm afraid to replace them because I've been told (by friends who should know, but still ...) that if I have a blowout on non-runflats with the low profile that the car demands, I'll probably lose control of the car. In other words, I'm not so worried about breaking down somewhere - I have a AAA membership (and could tow the car for the extra money I pay for runflats), but don't want to have a higher risk of tire-related accidents. Does anyone understand the relative safety/risk with regards to a blowout? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!