Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus SC 430 Wheels and Tires

2»

Comments

• I installed new high performance snow tires last winter.......car ran beautifully throughout the snowiest winter in 20 years in Toronto.

I didn't buy tire sensors.......never had them or needed them for my previous 40 years of driving, and didn't feel like paying the roughly $800......the tire pressure indicator light wasn't an issue to me.

Trouble is the tire pressure buzzer started after a couple hundred miles. it was intermittent and annoying. Dealership said it would cost $250 to deactivate or activate this feature.

Anybody out there know an easier or less expensive way for deactivation of the buzzer ??
  • K all the dealers know that the run flat ride sucks. Use the knowledge to close the the deal or go to another dealer. Lexus dealers are just about as hard up to make sales as any car dealer right now. The buyer pretty much holds the cards.
  • Have you installed your spare tire kit yet? If so, does it take all the room in your trunk? I understand that you can still put the top down but there is no room for anything else. Appreciate your response.
  • dprocykdprocyk Posts: 3
    The run flats give an uncomfortable ride, and the spare tire kit takes up too much of limited trunk space.

I've moved to normal high performance tires, with no spare tire ..... I thought that my risk was low being that my last flat tire was in 1967 ..... think back to how many blowouts that you had in the last 20 years.

Allstate has a great Road Assistance Program for $14 per month which includes a replacement tire in the case of tire failure.
  • Maybe you have the right answer. I did have one nail in my tire a year or so ago. I use this car only for local driving so it wouldn't be a great problem to have it towed somewhere. Probably wouldn't want to make any long distance trips without a spare, but I've got a LS460 for that, so probably wouldn't be much of a problem.

Thanks for your suggestion. :shades:
  • Maybe you have the right answer. I did have one nail in my tire a year or so ago. I use this car only for local driving so it wouldn't be a great problem to have it towed somewhere. Probably wouldn't want to make any long distance trips without a spare, but I've got a LS460 for that, so probably wouldn't be much of a problem.

Thanks for your suggestion. :shades:
  • I agree with dprocyk -- forget the run flats and a spare. If you don't want to get the Road Assistance Program, carry a can of instant fix-a-flat for your typical nail in the tire situation. Knock on wood, I've been doing this for about 4 years now without incident.
  • I've replaced the Bridgestones with Michelins last week. The ride is comparable and the fist impressions are as follows:
    Michelins are a bit noisier than Bridgestones with a high-pitched whine.
    Michelins are noticeably stickier than Bridgestones and hold the road better.
    Michelins are softer than Bridgestones and speed bumps are better absorbed.
    Michelins of the same size look wider and beefier than Bridgestones.
    With Michelins the car feels as I need to press the gas pedal more to maintain the same speed. Possibly this is due to the new tires being "stickier". It's too early to tell by the gas mileage.

A parallel experience is that I got a set of four and bought the road hazard warranty (insurance) because I had two non-repairable nails in the Bridgestones ove the past few months from highway driving. One thing to watch out for in the hazard warranty fine print is that the alignment needs to be in check for the insurance to honor the deal. Also check the agreement term as the tire shop may try to sell you the 1-yr warranty instead of a 3-6 yr for about the same price. Thus I also got the alignment service to have all bases covered. Will let you know if there are other insurance loopholes that I missed.
  • Are you talking run-flat tires or standard tires?
  • regular tires
  • Hey tmakogon. How have the Michelin tires working out by now? I am still debating what tires to put on. I'll have to make a decision soon as I have about 18000 miles on these. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks.
  • Michelins are doing fine. Had a couple of nails in them, both repaired. Both times the tire pressure light warned me before the air was gone, so I was able to drive to the tire shop without the need for a spare. In case it's flat I carry a can of fix-a-flat and a compressor instead of the spare. Gas mileage is about same. Road noise has subsided a bit, but still noticeable. I can't say that one set is clearly superior to the other. Both brands are great tires.
2»