Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV Starting/Stalling Problems

Comments

• subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    But even that replaced hose has had some issues. The hose has gone through a couple revisions it seems. So, you could have had the hose replaced under the recall and now need it again.

-Brian
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    The PCV hose part # I listed, that ended in "YB" is the latest in PCV hose improvements. That's the one backy wants.

If the hose has already been replaced under recall, with the old "YA" hose, then I would ask the dealership for some "goodwill", as Mazda is obviously using (used) substandard/poorly designed PCV hoses.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,629
    Thanks, everyone--very, very helpful! I'll probably take it to the dealer, since I need that (free) oil change anyway, and plead for the "goodwill" if it turns out the part has already been replaced. According to the service invoices I get from them, they are supposed to have checked for recalls at each service (and didn't find any open ones), so it's unlikely this hose hasn't been replaced before. Also the prior owner had the van serviced at the same dealership.
  • For our problem, it was actually the IAC valve (Idle Air Control Valve). A $70 part that took 2 seconds to replace and the problem was fixed! It was reading at 12.5 volts when it should've been between 8 and 10.
  • About 2 months ago, after some heavy rain, my 2001 MPV engine started to shudder and the engine light came on. On the first visit, the dealer replaced the distributor, but did not solve the shuddering completely. On the second, my husband heard a hissing sound, so they replaced the PVC hose. After the recent heavy rain, the engine light came on again with slight shuddering. What can we do next? Thanks for any help.
    Sounds like a bad coil pack.

If you have an autozone in your area you can have your codes checked for free.
  • jipster (or anyone else who knows),
    We just had our lower PCV hose replaced on our 2002 MPV LX. We bought the van used in late '03/early '04 with low mileage, but it is now of course no longer under warranty. We did not get any notification about a recall (although we did have something else replaced as a recall a good while back).

So 2 questions:
    1) The shop told us they had to remove the plenham (manifold) gaskets on the engine in order to be able to get to the PCV valve to replace it and so those gaskets were replaced. Is that correct? (If not, I have a major bone to pick with them 'cause it cost more to replace those than the pcv hose)

2) Given how long it has been since the warranty expired, would this repair have been covered? Even if the answer would've been yes, I guess it is too late since I'm sure a Mazda dealership would have had to do the repair as a recall, or?

Thanks!
    1) The shop told us they had to remove the plenham (manifold) gaskets on the engine in order to be able to get to the PCV valve to replace it and so those gaskets were replaced. Is that correct? (If not, I have a major bone to pick with them 'cause it cost more to replace those than the pcv hose)

2) Given how long it has been since the warranty expired, would this repair have been covered? Even if the answer would've been yes, I guess it is too late since I'm sure a Mazda dealership would have had to do the repair as a recall, or?

I'm not an expert, so maybe someone else can chime in with the details. I've never read of anyone having to replace any gaskets to replace the pcv valve or hose. You had both the hose and valve replaced? The PCV hose was initally under a recall in 2002 (?). It was replaced with what some feel was still an inferior hose, which is not currently under recall but has been replaced with a newer redesigned hose, the one that was probably just installed in your van. I'm guessing your 2002 MPV had the PCV hose replaced under recall before you bought it. You can check by calling your local Mazda dealership and giving them you vin number. They can also check on what recalls were done and if any are still required.

I've read a good tech can remove a pcv hose/valve without taking off the intake manifold. But, some dealerships will remove it... guess this was a judgement call that favored the dealership.

Even though your van is out of warranty, any recall work that hasn't already been done... must be done free of charge by the dealership.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,629
    I think the PCV hose recall was in August 2003. If it was never replaced under recall, then the hose replacement should be free now. If it WAS replaced under warranty... Mazda is under no obligation to fix it again for free, unless it failes under the 1 year/12k replacement parts warranty, but they want happy customers. I called Mazda customer service after paying about $170 to have the PCV hose replaced on my 2002 MPV a few weeks ago, and after some talking and checking (with the dealership), they sent me a $75 gift card for Mazda services and parts. :)
  • Hi All, well my check engine light is on AGAIN! 3rd time in almost a year. It almost happens when it's wet outside. First time was in the turnpike and felt the car was slipping but I thought it was just hydroplanning. I had the #1 coil replaced and all sparkplugs replaced. 2nd time happened in 6 months (at a light and when I pressed on the gas pedal, it started slipping and again it was raining) and took to Advance Auto to diagnost and #4 misfired and had that replaced by a Ford dealer. Now it happened again and I was at a stop sign (and it was raining, again) and when I went to accelerate, it felt like the front tires were spinning and hold behold, check engine light turned on. Now it's running rough and can't get it to go past 50 mph and and will not shift after 3rd. Can anyone shed some light as to what is wrong with this engine? Do I need to have the remaining coils replaced? They are expensive!!! Is it another problem that I should bring to the dealer? The car has 76K
  • What ever came of this issue? Did you replace all coil packs and it start working fine or was it something else? I have the exact same issue.
  • Yes, in all instances I had to get each coil replaced and it fixes the problem. I asked the Mazda tech and they said this is a common problem. Which stinks because I still have 3 more coils to go. So the next coil to go (3, 4, or 5) will run me another $250 (parts/labor). I also found out that the part is cheaper at a Mazda dealer than a Ford dealer.
    Coils #4 and #5 are in the front, towards the radiator, that's an easy 5 minute fix. The coils in the back are the ones that will cost a lot, due to having to take the upper manifold off, best to replace the ones in the back at the same time.
  • did you change the plugs and wires yourself. It looks like it would be tough job. what is the order for part removal? what about the dhoc.
  • The dhoc looks like it could make changing the spark plugs and wires a tough job. can anyone tell me the order of removal of parts to change the plugs and wires?
  • I have a 1994 mazda mpv and i'm having the same type problem. I've replace fuel pump + filter + spark plugs + igniter what else to do
  • stevef16stevef16 Posts: 1
    I just had what sounds like the exact same problem with my 2002 MPV. Hopefully tilde05 is back on the road by now, but in case anyone else has the same problem, here's what happened to me. Being a "fix-it" kind of a guy, tried to fix it myself first. The when the idle went high, I first replaced the idle air control valve ($92), no difference. I then replaced the MAF sensor ($209 from the dealer, the only one that would fit), no difference. I then replaced the throttle position sensor ($34), no difference. All the while, no codes were set. I then gave up and took it to a repair shop. They found that the "coolant temperature sensor" was bad, replaced it ($180 total), and now the van runs like new. Hope this helps someone. Maybe next time I'll just bring it to the shop right off.
  • nic39nic39 Posts: 1
    Hi, I've got an '03 with 138,000 clicks. So far, it's been extremely reliable and we've had no real problems. Now it "shudders' when I'm at a red light and it feels like it's going to stall out. Also acts the same going up a hill. Just had the coolant thermostat and seal replaced, as well as a "platinum plug" (#2 I believe) and the EGR valve gasket replaced because that's what the diagnostic check said to fix. Driving today the engine light came on (just got it back from the shop last week), and engine light flashed every time I had to go up a hill, then went back to steady.
    Any ideas?
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    Possibly a coil, which is on each plug. The blinking CEL indicates a engine misfire in 1 or more cylinders, when it is just on steady, it indicates an emission related code, which could be just a result of the misfire.

Hard to say which coil is bad, could be more than 1. They aren't cheap to replace at the dealer, not terribly hard to DIY if you search for instructions.

-Brian
  • I bought a 1991 mpv with 140k miles on it. ran fine for about a week even took it on a 200 mile round trip with no issues. now will crank but not fire wo't roll start and when i try it All the indicator lights on the dash flash randomly and the engine sounds like it is running but the odometer is erratic to 1500 - 0 and back.
    I am afraid of an ECU problem as I do not have alot of money to put into this car

any ideas of what i can look to fix to get er back to running and starting again? :sick: