Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV Starting/Stalling Problems

13»

Comments

• jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    I've had a faulty battery check out okay once. May be worth another look.
  • buzzkbuzzk Posts: 15
    In my experience what you describe is usually in the circuitry that energizes the starter relay rather than the other things you replaced [except the ignition switch] - at, I am sure, significant expense. There are typically limit switches on the shifter that require an automatic to be in park or neutral or a manual to be in neutral & a manual will also have a clutch switch, requiring it to be depressed [held in]. These are often hard to find & a bother [or costly] to replace. It's usually an 'OEM' part. This is not at all unique to MPV's; my Subaru has been like that since it was nearly new. I just wired a 12 volt relay to energize the starter relay and I control that relay w/a spring-loaded normally off ["momentary on"] switch you can buy from Radio Shack. If it wont start w/the key I just push the switch [w/the ignition 'on'] & it fires right up. Been woking fine for abt 11 years. I've done the same w/many cars over the years. Good luck.

BK
  • ?, My 2002 MPV was driving fine and all of the sudden the battery light would come on then the oil light and then my van would quietly coast to a stop. The thing would quietly lose power. It would start up again fine but do the same thing again. I was running the tank low. I put more gas and it continued to do the same thing. We changed out the fuel relay thinking maybe it is a fuel problem but I'm not sure anymore. Any suggestion would be helpful.
    May try cleaning or replacing the idle air control valve. Our 2004 had similar symptoms.
  • Have someone check your engine mount. this couold be the cause of the vibration...
  • fm82fm82 Posts: 1
    Same thing just happened to my sister in law, trying to find the solution for it maybe you can explain to me what you had to do to fix your problem.
  • hi there where do we find the iac valve many thanks stuart
    Sits right on top, silver, held in by 2 bolts. Easiest do it yourself there is on the MPV.
  • buzzkbuzzk Posts: 15
    I just bought one tonight [been following this on another blog] tho years ago I readjusted the throttle stop to largely obviate the problem. AutoZone had it for $46.99 + tax. The sleepy-sounding guy at Oreilly said they don't carry the part. Buy it & look at it's appearance & you'll see the original near the top of the engine, held on by 2 small bolts & plugged into a fairly simple electrical connector. Remember it's bolted into aluminum so be careful unbolting & rebolting. make sure you use a good quality METRIC socket the correct size; not an almost-right SAE size, NOR an open-end wrench & DON'T over-tighten.. Should be pretty easy. Good Luck, BK
  • One in about every 5 times when I start the engine on my 2003 MPV the engine revs up real high. I am not pushing down on the accelator pedal at all. I also never push on it prior to starting the engine. I am thinking it might be the position switch but dont know why this happens intermittenly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Nick
    Just a guess, but your idle air control valve could be sticking. They can get carbon build up on the inside. Easy repair, sits right on top with 2 screws holding it in. You could either clean it or replace it ($60)

If you've never replaced, may be worth giving it a try. It has been a bit of sore spot with MPV owners. I replaced mine a couple years ago.
  • raymond26raymond26 Posts: 1
    yes my van just started doing that every time I try to drive it turn off u got to put your feet on the gas to start it what you think it is.
13»