Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey Heating/Cooling Problems

Comments

• I'm curious to know what you found, my 06 is doing the same thing.

Thanks in advance
  • Usually this means the relay for the AC compressor has an intermittent connection internally. I have seen this on other Honda models. To verify, when it doesn't work next time, pull the relay and jumper it directly. The system should turn on, or just replace the relay, it's only about a $17 item at any auto parts store.
  • My 2006 Honda Odyssey is blowing out cold air on the passengers side and warm air on the drivers side. What is the most likely problem?
  • Fritz14 - I have a 2005 and mine did the exact same thing. Of course I thought the worse, that it electronic or something. expensive. It turned out that it was low on freon. A buddy of mine charged it up and the problem completely dissappeared. It's been over a year and no problems. Good luck :-)
  • Thanks for the reply. My reasoning is this. If it was low on charge wouldn't both sides be blowing out warm air. I did not think that there were seperate evaporators.
  • Hi. Maybe a silly question, but is there a way to easily control the rear passenger fan speed from the driver's seat? When I have the front/rear/passenger zones linked but then turn down the fan speed from the driver's control panel to the lowest setting, the rear fan continues to blow full strength and the only way to reduce the speed is shut it off entirely or use the rear control panel in the second row. I've played around with the setting "rear control lock" etc and nothing seems to change it. Thanks.
  • ody8ody8 Posts: 1
    Where can I find that relay in the vehicle? The A/C on my 2005 Ody EX had just stopped blowing cold air this weekend. I took it to dealer this morning and the service advisor said they have to replace the coil, and it will cost me over $1,000.
    That if the compressor is in good condition, meaning after there diagnosis which I paid $103, they are not sure if the compressor is also kaput. Anyone with similar experience with their Hondas? Thanks for your help.
  • Let me guess, you have duel electronic climate control. logically, you would think there are 2 issues 1. a damaged coil ( cause odyssey's are famous for that. 2. Bad driver side sensor in the electronic climate control because the left side is switched to heat instead of cool. That's what I thought. If you take it to the dealer, they are likely to soak you for $700 - $1000.

If you take it to Firestone and get them to charge it, it might cost you $60.

Like I said - I had the exact same problem you did and my buddy said bring it over and lets put some freon in it to see if its leaking. That totally fixed everything and it's been working fine for nearly 1 year. It makes no sense at all - but it worked.
    Best of luck to you - Let me know how you make out.

I
  • Interestingly enough there is a diagnostic tool that lets you look at the different temperature sensors in the car. The one on the drivers side does not appear to be operating correctly. However, I can't find it's location in the service manual. The rear control panel also is failing it's diagnostic test. It seems to be working though. In particular cold air is blowing out of it. Any idea on how the cold air is generated in back. I have an EX but, I do not believe that there is a seperate coil in back. I have not totally dismissed your suggestion but, lke you say it doesn't seem to add up. I will get the charge checked before I give and go to th dealer for real punishmnent. Thanks for the input
  • bubbles7bubbles7 Posts: 1
    I've got a 1997 Odyssey. The fan that blows heat or a/c isn't working and there is a bad smell, like a burned out motor in the car. Where is the blower motor on this car and is it easy to replace?
    thanks
  • jj082199jj082199 Posts: 1
    Has the charging up of the A/C worked? My A/C now has the same issue on the 2006 EX-L dual A/C system.

Any inputs on what happened will help!

Thanks...
  • tina15tina15 Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 Odyssey. I have noticed that the front a/c is warmer then usual when i have the a/c on. When I first got the Odyssey, setting the a/c at 69 was ok. Now I would have to set the a/c at 62-64 to get cooler air. Does anyone know what is going on?
  • jraedeanjraedean Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Honda Odyssey. We were testing out the heat today and to our surprise the air that kicks out into the back vents is not warm at all. Even though the front air is super hot. We tried all the controls in the front and back and none of them helped the problem. The blowers work great but we are not getting any warm air. What would be a good place to start problem solving? Could it be a fuse in the heater motor? Or?
  • ody97ody97 Posts: 2
    Hi guys, I have a Honda Odyssey 1997 Model ( automatic transmission) .1 year ago , I replaced radiator when it started leaking.Recently, I noticed oil leaks on the oil pipe from the engine to the radiator (the shorter pipe).It leaks on the clamp.I changed the clamp and its still leaking.After a while I noticed the top hose of radiator was damaged.I changed it.
    Do you think there is a problem with the radiator to cool the oil or maybe problem with the whole cooling system..Does the oil that goes to the radiator from the engine, have a pump,if so is it damaged.
    Fans are working fine (I think) and radiator doesn't leak
  • nd1977nd1977 Posts: 12
    Our 2009 Odyssey is 7 days and 300 miles old. While returning from a road trip we noticed that it was getting warm and then realized that the blower was not working. At max speed I could hear it but there was no air blowing out from any of the vents.

We stopped at a rest area and shut the van completely. When we restarted the van, the blower started working and the van started getting cooler. I did not know that Odyssey now joins the list of "try rebooting" to fix.

Our dealer service shop cannot figure out what is wrong. Any ideas?
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    How long ago did you change the cabin air-filter? It should be changed as early as 15k mi. I think it is about time.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    I saw some where that motor oil and anti-freeze can get cross-contaminated due to certain parts failed. Oil goes to radiator and anti-freeze found in engine.
  • rswprswp Posts: 1
    Hi

I am experencing this same issue with the rear vents and took the car to a honda dealership who advised that warm air should come out of these vents. But I too can not get it to work. any ideas?
  • Hi,
    I'm reading with interest some of the fixes our readers have commented with regards to AC fixes. One notably message perked my interest is where the what-cha-ma-call-it under the passenger dashboard part is replaced for $60 and under 1 hour.

My problem is that my AC does not cool times (like yesterday), but today it worked like a charm (thus not a freon issue). It seems that it works only when it wants to.

Any of the readers experienced these types of symptoms? Pls let me know. Many thanks.
    CG
  • erick2erick2 Posts: 1
    letmedoit,

My 2004 Odyssey is having similar problems. Compressor turns on when A/C is turned on and blows cold for about 5 minutes. Then the compressor kicks on and off continually and doesn't produce any cooling. This A/C hasn't been charged or worked on since the last charge in 2007 because it has good pressure (30-35 psi low side pressure) while running and has cold A/C when it works. I am curious what you found to be the cause of your problem, or if anyone esle can give me any input. Thanks.

Erick
  • Erick, this is silly, but it turned out to be the alternator. Apparently, the alternator was not generating any juice, so that battery was low. When it because so low, the AC shut off. Somehow, the next day, all was back to normal, until 3 days later when I got stranded on the road. I took it to a local shop, and they replace the alternator. No more problems after that.

I guess, these new cars electrical systems are so different. It used to be on older cars, that if the battery was bad or low on juice, then all systems would go off at the same time.

The way the symptons on this van appeared threw me off and I thought for sure that it was the AC and I was looking at a $1000 repair.

Anyhow, good luck to you.
  • tc5959tc5959 Posts: 1
    I'm taking mine in for the exact same problem. Did you find a solution yet?

Terry
  • it turned out it was the alternator not working, thus battery was low on power, and the AC unit shut off. I replaced the alternator, now I'm back in business.
  • balochbaloch Posts: 1
    Hi guys, 1999 Honda Odyssey rear heating is good, but front heating quit working, it blows air but no heat, some one told me it will start working if you flush the radiator, i m not sure what should i do, i appreciate some one to help me, thanks
  • I had the AC issue come back to haunt me. Initially I thought I had fixed it by replacing the transistor assembly (located on the interior of the van), as it was suggested in several forums and on Youtube. That seemed to have fixed it for 2 months. The problem is now back.

As in the initial problem, symptoms are that the AC will blow cold air at times only. Fan works well.

Any ideas where else to look? I know it's not a freon leak, as AC will blow cold air when it wants to.

Much appreciated,
    regards.
  • My 2004 Odyssey has the same problem. I replaced the heater control assembly but it didn't fix the problem. Did you solve it and if so, how? Thx
  • tdetde Posts: 1
    well actually it blows - but bearly. I have 2007 odyssey and the heater is extremely weak - in fact the 'feet' setting there is no air circulation. Is this common fixable ...? What up?
  • Have a 2000 Honda. On New Year's Eve, there were no lights on the dash for the heating area, and no heat or defogging. Then the heat came on. Then there was a noise and we smell something that smelled as if something was burning.

Now there's a low metallic whirr when the car starts, that gets very low as it's on. The dash lights and heater work.

Firestone wanted to replace our A/C compressor for $1K. Said the clutch and pulley assembly on the front of the compressor "went bad", and that's why there was a grinding sound. Said the smell was the freon escaping.

Said it would be throwing off metal pieces that might stop the power steering.

Opinion?

They want to do the repair with a remanufactured part.
  • kris36kris36 Posts: 1
    about 2004 Odyssey- rear heater/ac & rear sound system not working. what do you think is the problem?