Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Cabrio Electrical Problems

Comments

• I need to replace my Cabrio battery and cannot find one ANYWHERE. Sears even told me they don't make one anymore (AAA said they could replace if I was a member, so I know there are models that fit). Are there any after-market or retail off the shelf batteries that will work ok in the '99 Cabrio? (brand name, store name, model number(s) please! I do not want to spend $300 on a battery either...just something that works. Thanks!
  • I replaced my 98 Cabrio Battery at Sears last week. There should be a "battery guide book" affixed to the Sears Stores battery rack display. Your 99 should be the same as my 98. The catalog will supply you with the amount of "cranking" amps you need to turn the engine. Any battery that has the necessary capacity and terminal alignment will work in your car. Your biggest challenge is finding a Sears employee with a brain. My battery cost $104 with tax, I installed it myself. Your other choice is to go through a VW dealer. The dealer would be able to give you the correct size. Good luck.
  • I can't seem to find the fuse box on this car. Can anyone help? sure would be appreciated! thank you
  • My wife has a 2001 cabrio with just over 100k miles on it. Recently there seem to be major issues with the electronics but the VW dealership has not been able to fix any of them. Two trips to VW and well over $1,000 and they still were not able to get the airbag light to turn off. We gave up on that when there next best idea was to deploy the airbag and then replace it.

Today when I tried to start the car nothing happened. Once I took the keys out of the ignition there was a clicking noise coming from near the air vent in the front left dash and the gauges were flipping back and forth. My wife had mentioned problems with the gauges before but VW always claimed they couldn't replicate it and nothing could be done. I captured a video this time so people can see the issue - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEs2brR4ZAQ

Does anyone have suggestions or idea about what could be going on? I'd like to have some suggestions for the mechanics this time since they seem to be all out of ideas.
  • OK, I'll try and keep this simple. These are the events that resulted in my wife having to drive home 45 minutes in a snowstorm with all the windows of her 200 Cabrio down....

we store the car every year for the winter. So, the day of the big storm, I ask my wife to get an oil change, and fill up the tank. Well, the oil change came with a free car wash. It was 25 degrees and dropping as the Noreaster appraoched. After the change, and shopping (which ran late of course), my wife returned to the car to find the locks frozen (we have to use the key - no wireless unlock). She did get the trunk open and somehow managed to wiggle her way to the driver's seat. When she put the key in the ignition, the alarm went off, and wouldn't let her start the car until she turned it off. Well, the only way to tunr it off is to put the key in the drivers door (nice irony).

Finally (after 20 minutes of alarm), she I guess forced the key in the drivers door, and turned the alarm off. Releived, she got in the car, and put the key in the ignition. This time all the windows in the car - all at once - went down automatically. None of the buttons made any difference, and they could not be put back up.

Needless to say, it was a long ride home. The windows are still down. I haven't had a chance to mess with the fuses. Has anyone had this happen before? Sugegstions?

Thanks,

Eric
  • Hello , I also have a 2000 Cabrio . The same thing happened to me ,alarm going off and all windows down , the only difference was it happened in the summer and just hopped in and drove home with the windows down and alarm blarring ! LOL ...I just have to laugh now because these cars have so many very strange problems but I cant help but love the car .
    Anyway I have had lock problems in the past so I dont lock it or use the key in the door now , since its been awhile Im not sure if you turn the key slightly to the left or if its the right ,dont turn all the way ...then the windows will go back up ! good luck to you !
  • moldakmoldak Posts: 4
    edited January 2011
    I have a 99 Cabrio. Remember that when you open the driver's door and keep the key turned, all the doors open and ALL THE WINDOWS GO DOWN!

It seems to me that the switch inside the door that triggers all the windows to go down broke, got filled with water and shorted out, or something like that.

Not sure about the alarm, but seems as if opening the door with the proper key would turn off the alarm. If the switch was broken/frozen/waterlogged, it might not have recognized you opening the door with a key, but rather thought that you were opening the door without using the proper key and thus triggering the alarm.

Try taking off the door panel, finding the electronics behind the door switch. First unplug the switch, i think that should stop any signal from the switch to the "all windows down" trigger.
  • My wife's 2002 had the same thing alarm going off driving down the road with windows down. Open the trunk and below the right turnsignal is a box encased in foam remove rubber bands and disconnect the wiring harness tro the box, this controls the alarm you can now put the windows up and drive but no alarm.
  • ranjranj Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    2001 VW Cabrio. Coils keep burning up. Have had numerous codes over the past year from 'short to injectors' to the infamous P1582 (?) There is obviously some short problem leading to the coil, but can't seem to find a ground problem. I did notice last night, after it quit on a hill, that there is water running out. From where? Dunno. (And found that the back floorboard is soaked) Could this be causing a short that is throwing various codes and killing the coil? Just in case it is all connected....Cruise quit working, power windows are 'iffy', no electronic door lock (though I have heard that this has to do with the auxiliary vacuum pump in the trunk which is fried)

Pulling my hair out
  • signman359signman359 Posts: 1
    I have a problem with my driver's-side rear window. It likes to randomly roll itself down. What makes it worse is that (most of the time) when I try to roll it back up, it will go up until I let go of the switch, at which point it will usually roll itself back down immediately (whether it got all the way up first or not).

I'm hoping that perhaps it's a simple problem like a bad relay or something. Considering the power the motors probably draw, I would imagine that the window switch just controls a relay that powers the motor. Following this line of reasoning, I'm thinking that I could try swapping the relay for this window for that of another window and see if the problem follows the relay. Of course, this plan relies on a couple of assumptions that I am uncertain about.

1) The power window motors use relays
    2) Each window has its own relay

If these are not accurate assumptions, could somebody please correct me and point me in the right direction?

If they are accurate, could somebody point me in the right direction for finding out which relays I should be messing with? I don't recall seeing any information in the car's manual regarding relays, just fuses.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone is able to provide.
  • ribfallsribfalls Posts: 1
    I have the same exact problem with a 95 cabrio, only the right rear window.I don't believe there is any relays involved. there is heavier guage wires going to the motors ,RED & Brown. The switch activates the electronics in the motor assy I think the problem is the motor itself. I found them on the internet for about $120.00 rebuildt.Good luck.
  • topless3topless3 Posts: 1
    Did you find a solution. I have very simular problem, head lights dont work only high beams if you hold lever and blower fan shuts off when you pull e brake
  • need a diagram for the cabrio fuse box on an 89 please
  • I am having problems with the coil as well, were you able to find a fix? Thanks
  • Short and sweet- I need some ideas of where to start ...

Started with-
    cruise control stopped working all together
    tach and speedometer work sporadically
    radio shuts off and turns back on
    at red light, car loses all power and shuts down, put in N, starts right back up (3 times now)
    Alarm started going off and on when opening unlocked door
    headlights and dash lights will dim and brighten on and off....

This has been transpiring over about a year but the stalling is worrying me. I would appreciate any ideas (other than taking it to a dealership or getting a new car!)

We disconnected the alarm from the box behind the right tail light so my daughter will not be mortified again by the blaring horn at the orthodontist- LOL :surprise:

Thanks for reading and offering advice!
  • dont know">link title if you have resolved your fuse box problem...
    go to http://www.cabby-info.com/electrical.htm
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 974
    Great info - thanks, bigjim89!

ClaireS, Host
    Automotive News & Views | Coupes & Convertibles

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• hi,
    If you took the battery loose it might be in immobilizer mode,Check the inst cluster if there is a car with a key in it ,it's in that mode.also radio code will be missing,double check wiring plugs especially the crank sensor,,A scan tool would help here,read the codes out...
    you could jump the coil to 12 v and see if it cranks ,
    Now the bad part.... might have to replace the ECM or have that one reprogrammed.The life span on them is like electronics heat and over 5 years old isn't good.
    I have read you can get the part # off your ECM and find the SAME # one and it will work,,,but I can;t find my #
    Good luck,
  • HELP!!!!
    I had a good shop rebuild a Automatic trans in my 2,0 cabrio,When I picked it up the engine was idling pretty high ,The mech said it needed to break in and maybe a tune up,Well the engine ran fine in park and started ok So Tune-up what? I drove it and read online how to reset the user adaptions that helped but still 2 feet on the brakes at red lights,About a week later 250 miles or so I started to hear a knock from the hood,wasn't a spark knock but enough that you could know it was there ,after about 60 mph the knock would disappear until you let off the gas then it was back,,,,a few days later the knock got LOUD and I parked it,I did check the oil the first time it knocked level was good and no metal visible in the oil and the oil was new,I pulled the pan and rocked the crank back and forth damn big knock,so I started pulling rod caps and checking them all ok,Then I happen to look at the torque converter and the 3 nuts that hold it to the crank plate where almost off the studs so I tightened them and torqued them and check for a knock ,it was GONE,I put it back together but it will turn over NO knock but will not run ,,,,has fuel pressures,spark ,check every sensor added raw fuel to intake,I had a MAF and A cat 1 error in code scan,but those are replaced now,I?m going CRAZY That same shop couldn't find anything wrong with it and another $350.00 down the tubes,lol I'll take ANY suggestions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!