Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Caravan/Voyager Suspension

1235»

Comments

• :) Sorry for the long read....I just finished replacing both of my sway bar links and the sway bar bushings. I have a 1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager (3.0L) 181,000 miles. Driver-side link was broke. Popped out of ball joint. The link that was broken was difficult to replace because the fact it had become unattached from its ball joint. When I went to wrench off the bolts on the sway bar end, the torque flexed the sway bar. Had to jam a piece of wood in there to keep the sway bar from flexin. The passenger link was a little eaiser to remove, however, being it was the original link, I had to utilize a #40 torx head bit gripped with a vice grip, and a 18mm gear wrench. Not the best way to remove rusted bolts, but after a lot of cussing and elbow grease, both links were removed. The sway bar bushings were somewhat easy, however I first had to remove 9 - 11/32 bolts and one 18mm bolt....(whatever) that held on the cradle grate. Once removed, loosened the two bushing retainers and slipped off the old bushings, slipped on the new ones. (make sure to put them on the correct way) Then, making sure the sway bar is centered, I bolted on the new links, then tightned up the bushing retainers, reinstalled cradle grate. Done! Took me about 4 hours to finish. $130.00 in parts from the Dodge dealer, and about $300. in labor saved.
    Test drove and now the suspension and steering responce feel like new, not like navigating a boat.
    Note: PB Blaster is your friend, as well as leverage. ;)
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    Ahhh yes, the joys of working on a car!

Creepingdeath - you mentioned the tools and PB Blaster. How many beers were needed ;)
  • robbie19robbie19 Posts: 1
    So I come out of the house yesterday morning to a huge puddle under my van. My brother in law drives an hour to come look at it and it has a leak related to the power steering. He couldn't find it so we took it to a shop. Today they are telling me it might be a rack and pinion leak or something to do with the breather. Everything I have read states that it could be $700 - 900 just to fix it. I only paid 700 for it 1.5 yrs ago and already 200 in repairs. It has 249K on it. Is it even worth it to fix it? Should I fix it and then turn around and sell it? Any advice, feedback or ideas?

I don't have a lot of money and will have to take a loan to fix it if its that much. However, without it I have no way to get around and I am a full time student at the university currently missing my second day of classes.
  • sattysatty Posts: 6
    I have a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan that has a slight front end vibration that cannot be found but is tearing through tires. HELP! I have replaced the struts, sway bar bushings and end links, tie rods and most recently the entire rack. The van has 122k on it and has been great up till now and it is just one thing after another with the front end. I recently took the van in as the front left (drivers) tire was wearing out very quickly and I had noticed a slight vibration in the front end. I was told the rack was bad causing the vibration and the tire wear problem. After spending $1300.00 on repairs and two front tires the vibration is still there and I am now wearing out the new left tire. Dodge cannot find the problem and says everything looks and appears to be in good condition and again has no answer for the vibration and tire wear. The alignment has been re-done 4 different times to no avail/ with solving the problem. The last dodge mechanic said there is a very slight vibration on the front drives side axel possibly causing the problem but again not sure. Of course they want another small fortune to tear into the van with no guarantee it will solve the problem. Please help
  • What kind of life should one expect from the sway bar and control arm bushings? 25K, 50K, 100K, for standard suburban roads and driving? My 05 GC has less then 40K and I replaced the sway bar links and bushings 2 years ago and now the control arm bushings are worn. Seems to me that someone needs to redesign a suspension, since I had a 92 GC that ran flawlessly to 150K before I had to do maintenance beyond oil changes and replacing mufflers, tires, and shocks. This 05 GC is not the 92!

mct :mad:
  • I Have a 1998 Plymouth G.V. and it has developed a shake in the rear at about 60-70 MPH below that it is fine.We have replaced tires rims brake drums shocks and drums.We have even gone so far as removeing the rear brakes and drums and it is still the same.Disconnecting the rear shocks causes the symtoms to occur at a lower speed indicating to me the problem is definately in the rear.The last thing we did was replace rear wheel bearings, same thing. It will keep vibrating at 60mph with the trans in neutral and the engine idleing,I am at the end of my rope.Is it possible panhard bar bolts and bushings could be causeing this?
1235»