Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Avenger Starting and Stalling Problems

Comments

• Problem figured out and solved....This motor suffered from a ring collapse...they used chrome rings that fail around 80k miles. Solution? Traded in the car last weekend! :sick: :lemon:
  • I bought this car about 3-4 months ago. At first it stalled when I was driving like once a week or so then it stalled and would not start right away. It got worse as time went on till it stalled and wouldn’t start for about an hour and the service engine light stayed on. I ran a diagnostic test and it said that the camshaft censor needed replacing; I replaced the distributor (255.00). Then when I tried to start it there was nothing no turnover nothing. I bought a new battery it started and ran fine for about 10 minuets then stalled and I had to get it towed to a dealership they said nothing was wrong and sent me on my way. I drove the car home and later that night it stalled on me again. Now it is sitting in my driveway and I am going to get rid of the Dodge POS car. All in all so far I have only spent about 450.00 on repairs I say only because of the post I have read of people that have spent thousands. I do not want to spend another dime on this car it is a money pit and very on safe it will start and I can drive it but I fear to take it too far and have it stall once again and have to pay for another tow. :mad: :cry: :sick: :lemon:
  • Hey did you check the automatic shutdown relay? That would be the one under the hood right on the fire wall, right behind the steering wheel? that is what my problem was. that costed me 50 bucks.. I have had my avenger since the begining of 98 and really no problems on it just normal maintenance.
  • Read the last couple of post they help out alot...
  • I have a 1996 Dodge Avenger that used to turn off every so often. I was not able to turn on the car till after waiting for 30 minutes. The last time I was driving the car and it turned off while I was waiting for the red light to change. I was able to turn it on after waiting 30-40 minutes, the car turned off after a few minutes and did not turn back on. The ignition coil has been checked and is working properly. I found that there is not spark coming or going to the spark plugs, from what I read in this forum. The crank sensor could be the problem, can anyone tell me where it is located and what it looks like or help me with suggestions. I don't know what to do!!!!!
  • I found out where the crankshaft position sensor is located and replaced it. The spark plugs have spark, but car wont start. I replaced the automatic shutdown relay, igniton module and ignition coil to be on the safe side. The car will not start. Can anyone give me any other suggestions, I'm loosing my mind.
  • Ok I have about 125,000 miles on the car and I've had little problems here and there, but I've fixed them. So now I'm driving from Yuma, AZ to San Diego, CA. I get 100 miles out of Yuma and I'm going up a hill and my check engine light and my brake light flash on and I get to the shoulder and stop and the car has basically already shut off. I replaced the fuel filter and the old one was pretty dirty. There was no smoke from the vehical and all the fluids were fine. The problem is now I can't get my car to turn over and I'm not getting a spark from the spark plugs when I test them. I've also checked the voltage to everything and seriously I should name my care mystery because I can't figure out why it wont turn on. So now I am here and asking all you Dodge Avenger fans ;) for advice about what I should do besides just getting rid of it. If you have had this problem please let me know what you think I should do :confuse:
  • i have a 1995 dodge avenger with a 2.5 v6 and the promblem im having is my car overheated a few days ago and no it wont start. the car cranks but has no spark i checked all fuses and relays and they seem to be working fine. i see people on the fourm have the same problem which leads to the crankshaft sensor and i was wondering if anyone knew a way to check to see if it is the sensor that needs to be replaced .
  • i just bought a 95 avenger v6 se/es? for $100 dollars and the old man that sold the car to me told me that he NEVER cared for the car just put gas and drove it (but the car sound great)but i thought hey for a hundred bucks it's worth it.i paid for a complete tune up engine flush,brakes
    it runs beautiful,then.when i pulled into the driveway it just stalled on me.checked the spark on the spark plugs and there wasnt any,so i thought the timing went.i called up a friend of mines and he told me it might be the "ASD RELAY" can someone offer some advice on where i can find this relay for a cheaper price then the rip off dealer? i can purchase online if nessary.also some advice if anyone has had this problem and if the relay might be the reason that it has stalled for no reason.image
  • Have you checked to see what the computer says is wrong with the car? If you don't know you can check the codes thru the check engine light. Also if you don't already own a manual you should buy one, they can be really helpful. If you want to check it you need a oscilloscope. Also if you pull it out there is suppose to be a piece of paper on the tip before you put it back in. When my car did the same thing I replaced the crank sensor and that wasn't the problem, I also replaced the spark plug cables and still no spark. It ended up being the cam sensor and mine is part of my distributor. I replaced it and it fired right up. Well I hope this is helpful. Good luck.
  • I finally fixed the problem and I replaced my distributor which has my cam sensor on it. It started right up. Good luck to everyone else.
  • mathewsjmathewsj Posts: 2
    I have a '99 Avenger 2.5 (V6) with about 54K miles on it. I had ran a non-manufactured diagnostic test on it and nothing came up. But i can't get it to start up. I know that it is fuel related because once fuel was sprayed into the carberator it started up just fine but then shut back off seconds later. When i first noticed the problem i was able to get it to start and i let it run on idle for about 20 minutes. But after that it started to die out. Does anyone have an idea as to what can be the problem?
    Also where is the inertia shut off switch located?
  • Maybe if you think it has something to do with the fuel, then you should start with replacing the fuel filter. The check engine light hasn't come on at all?
  • mathewsjmathewsj Posts: 2
    I will try that today. No the check engine light does not come on. Thanks
  • dcbolsby98dcbolsby98 Posts: 3
    i have been having the same problem with mine it seems to run fine untill you get it warmed up and let off the gas it wants to quit, give it 30 min. and it fires up. need some advise please
    my car does the same thing and i was wondering if you fixed your problem because it sounds alot like the problem i have been having
    i own a 1998 avenger it is a v6 2.5 liter and when you are driving along after it gets warm when you take your foot off the gas it stalls out and wont start for another 10-20 minutes
    i took a spark plug and checked for spark but had none has new
    pcm, camshaft sensor, and new injectors, need some advice
  • robwhitrobwhit Posts: 13
    i HAVE HAD A 96 AVENGER V6 SE WITH GOOD LUCK FOR 5 YEARS EXCEPT LATELY IT WANTS TO HESITATE EVERY TIME I GIVE IT GAS. ONCE IT IS ROLLING IT HAS POWER AND IS NORMAL. iT IDLES WELL BUT CHOKES WHEN FIRST GAS IS APPLIED. HOPE SOMEONE CAN GIVE HELP. THANKS (SORRY THIS HAPPENS TO BE IN CAPS)
  • robwhitrobwhit Posts: 13
    I am getting a dogging of my engine whenever I first give it gas but when on the road or highway it runs well and has pep. Just recently it has developed a miss when driving-I have done a total tune-up as well as put in new disributor crank sensor. Any ideas what might be wrong? also starts up a bit slow.
    For 1st 6 months after all the repairs done (which were done about a yr ago) the car ran GREAT.
  • ginoaginoa Posts: 3
    have a problem starting,unfortunately cant afford mechanic rgt now.engine turns over,will fire up for a second and die or will chug for a few secs and die or if i press gas peddal dies immediatly.
    any help totally appreciated
    can anyone tell me where fuel pump is and fuel pressure regulator. thankyou in advance for any help