Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Avenger Starting and Stalling Problems

Comments

• soonerbsoonerb Posts: 9
    Have you made any progress?

If not, pull a plug wire and put an old spark plug in it and lay it on some metal on the engine. Have someone crank it over and see if there is spark and get back to me.
  • its a 95 veng with the 2.5l v6...

and my girl is getting mad at it... so i need to fix it soon...

it did the sputter then die... well i replaces the plugs and valve gaskets...(got the cuts to prove it...)

well it stoped sputtering.. and misfiring... but now it just has no idle... none... i had to manually adjust the thottle body to like 10% and it just barley keeps the rpms up to 400...

i was thinking the dizzy went out but i want to make sure...

i also want to know why i would have a map code..(map sensor is to high)

and a tps code...

pls help me and my veng be one more veng always crusing on the road...

there becomeing extinct :cry:
  • I have a 97 Avenger with a 2.5 that won't start. I'm not geting spark or fuel. It's my understanding that if the ASD were bad that it would only prevent spark. Because I'm not getting either spark or fuel I assumed that the problem is either the crank shaft sensor, cam shaft sensor or PCM. I was able to detrmine that the crank shaft sensor is good by using a volt meter while slowly turning the engine over by hand. It would alternate from 0 to 5vols and back as the engine rotated. That leaves either the cam shaft sensor, which in reality means replacing the distributor or the PCM. Is there a way to determine which it might be? If there is a flaw in my deduction or you have any suggestions please let m know.
  • Ok, I was wrong. The ASD does shut off the fuel as well as the spark. Bottom line, because the cam shaft sensor is part of the distributor I had to replace it. It is running again.
  • I replaced 3 asd relays and they start once then ckick
  • :cry: Can someone please help me before i throw this car out the window. A few weeks ago after i would drive the car for awhile it would hesitate when i tried to pick up speed and today I took a road trip out of town only 2 hours away and it started doing this again it was acting sluggish and would barely raise speed and when it got upto 40 mph then it was fine can someone please help me with this we have changed spark plugs and fuel filter does anyone have any ideas or have had the same problem...PLEASE HELP
  • I own a 99 dodge avenger2.5 ,you own one john and jim and stacey own one and they all are having the same issues . A poor electronic design we need to voice our problems thru the media, just like toyota vehicles, which are also lemons then its time to bring down dodge if they dont help us to resolve the issues with a product of a car that they designed Dodge Avengers along with all the other Lemons they designed i'm outraged at their poor craftsmanship and if we all speak out thru radio,television,talk shows, we will get there attention and unless they help us to deal with there poor designed products, then we together can help others to do research on all the internet complaints and make people aware of the Poor designs and numerous of Dodge deffects before they go and spend thousands $$$$$ on unneccesary Ripple affect Repairs.I feel for all the Dodge Owners Who's Vehiclses continue to stall in the middle of the road at stop signs and in the middle of an intersection I've almost gotten hit by other cars passing by while i"m trying to push my vehicle off the road Dodge is Just Waiting for a serious accident or a death to occur. Its's very sad and dangerous not knwing where or when the next stall out will occur. Peoples lives are on the line daily due to Poor Electronic Designes By Dodge... :mad:
  • pucknitpucknit Posts: 1
    So how do you replace the distributor?
  • rdeitrichrdeitrich Posts: 3
    Mark plug wires 1 through 6 to match the cylinder they go to then remove them from the distributor cap. Remove distributor cap. Remove rotor. Disconnect wiring harnesses, Remove nuts holding distributor on. Pull distributor out.
  • I turned my avenger into a race car. It runs really well for about 3 lapes then it will start spitting and sputtering then will stall. Can not get it started for about 20 min. then it will start right back up and run good. It idels good and runs good at home i can not get it to do it ive evan ran it up and down the road. ive changed the fuel pump and filter . have not checked any thang else yet was just hoping for some help.
  • myangelmyangel Posts: 5
    Try the "ASD" relay. There are two located in the engine compartment, on the drivers side, on the firewall. There will be 2 small aluminum relays side by side. Wait until the car stalls again, then go under hood and rap on the two relays with a screwdriver end or some sort. If it is a faulty relay, the car should start right away. It took us a long time to figure this one out. The dealers couldnt even figure it out. Also, if it is the relays, you can only get them from a dodge dealer. They are only $12.00 email me & let me know the outcome. myangelmoo@yahoo.com
  • Ok.. Seems that my car is now running but for how long. Ughhhh.
    The only prob I seem to have now is my car smells like gas when driving. Hmmm. Wonder what could of happened at the shop the other day. Now I have to call Meineke AGAIN to see why I'm getting that smell.. They gave my husband a list of things that needed replacing but he didnt write it down. Ughhhh
    The first thing they did was replace starter/starter relay and that was 410.00. A year later and they just did the fuel pump relay and had to do diagnostics twice.. at 80.00 a pop. WTH. The total for the fix the other day was 240.00 and included the tow charge to get it there.. Not too bad.
    I'm tired of spending money on this car but can't afford a new one. Grrr.
  • I have the same question. First off, I learned that I had an ASD relay going out by reading these forums, so thank you everybody for sharing your problems and fixes. My experience: For the last year, the car would sometimes refuse to start until I popped the hood and tapped on those relays, then it will fire right up. In the last week it's died on me twice while running, once at a red light, and once while I was getting ready to make a left hand turn. So either the problem is getting worse, or the car is developing a new problem.
    Now I'm ready to change the ASD relay after the dealership charged me 60 bucks for it! grrr Which of the three relay boxes on the driverside firewall is the ASD relay?
  • I have the same problem. did you ever get a solution?
  • About two months ago I took my '96 Avenger to the garage for plugs, wires and distributor. Seems when we got alot of rain it wouldn't start at all for a few days til it dried out. Tune up completed, but now I have another problem that I didn't have before - stalling.

Car runs great for a little while after the first time I start it up for the day, but after awhile it seems to idle like hell at traffic lights and stops. Sometimes it will even shut off if I am just coasting slowly, like in a parking lot. Took it back to the garage, had the TPS replaced, no luck. Went and got a MAP sensor, that isn't it either. It has a rebuilt transmission, and sometimes won't shift properly, so I have to feather the gas when I pull out. Also tried gumout and some stp fuel treatment after the last few fill ups, seemed to fix the problem temporarily.

This is aggravating... any ideas?
  • Where is the camshaft position sensor for a dodge avenger 1998, 2.5 liter v-6
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,529
    in the distributor

• OK! 2000 Dodge Avenger es. 68000 miles. Car cranks but will not start. :lemon: New Distributor(cam sensor), Crank Sensor, and coolant temp sensor. I also tried tapping the asd relay. I am to the point that I have no ideas left. I wish I could get this car running so that I can trade it in for a higher value. just paid it off in feb.
  • I have a 2000 Dodge Avenger that has been stalling (more frequently it seems) while Im driving. While I am driving my tach drops down to zero, power seems to be on, engine seems to be on then all the warning lights flickers then it dies. After about more then 5 to10 minutes it will start up again. It may stay running or it wil stall out again in a matter of minutes. It seems to do it more when I have my headlights on. And once it dies I still have headlights and radio. My check engine light was on due to my "gas cap and emissions". Could it be the ERG valve or ASD Relay? I don't know anymore. Anyone have any comment or suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated.
  • bauxbaux Posts: 8
    my 2008 2.7 ltr dodge avenger stalls out about once every 3 weeks..il be at a light idoling or in park idoling and it will drop to1000rpm then just stall out..i can start it right away and it happens at random times..also when im driving it seems to hesitate when shifitng a gear, it dosnt happen all the time but quite offen, it kind of thunks and i can feel the car thud forwards..im going to take it to the dealer but id like a second opinion, thanks for any suggestions..
  • I have a 95 avenger that has the same problem as chelc7201, I see similar problems however no one has posted after to say if the ASD relay fixed the problem? Can anyone provide some insight? I changed the Crankshaft Position Sensor and it didnt help. I've got 203000 miles, it runs great except for the stalling issue.
  • I am having the same problem... I have a 95 Dodge Avenger ES 2.5L V6
    It will run for about 20 miles then stalls... I can let it sit for an hour or two and it will run and do the same thing. I have already changed the fuel pump, inline fuel filter, and the distributor. I also changed the fuel relay. It seems to stall when then engine gets heated up. After it stalled i checked one of the spark plugs and they wasn't getting spark thats wat made me check the distributor but it does the same thing after i replaced it so next i was going to check my coil pack and the ignition module but if you could help me if you got it figured out on your car they seem to be having the same problem????
  • I am having the same issue. Did you ever get it fixed?

Thanks!
  • I changed the Fuel Pump Relay with the ASD Relay to see if the symptoms changed. The first four days there was no stalling issues, then it did it once. Now its dying again after I start it, then it starts right up and I have no more problems. I am waiting on $ before I buy two new relays for the ASD and Fuel, they aren't too expensive just being frivolous since I only drive 10 miles round trip. I do think it was the ASD relay, before it would die like a loss of all power making a noise in the dash, now it just dies without that noise. I haven't thought being warmed up has made a difference but now that I think about it, it seemed to happen in the beginning more when it was hot outside. Hope it helps.
  • I changed the Fuel Pump Relay with the ASD Relay to see if the symptoms changed. The first four days there was no stalling issues, then it did it once. Now its dying again after I start it, then it starts right up and I have no more problems. I am waiting on $ before I buy two new relays for the ASD and Fuel, they aren't too expensive just being frivolous since I only drive 10 miles round trip. I do think it was the ASD relay, before it would die like a loss of all power making a noise in the dash, now it just dies without that noise. I haven't thought being warmed up has made a difference but now that I think about it, it seemed to happen in the beginning more when it was hot outside. Hope it helps.
  • I have the exact same problem with my 96 avenger. Did you ever find out what the cause of the problem was?.

Thanks
    Chuck
  • I have a 95 avenger ES trust me this is the Answer Its probably just your crank shaft sensor Located in the trans axle under the distributor (kinda looks like a sperm cell...Its black and has a magnet in the head ...not the cam shaft sensor( which is located in the distributor) second... replace your EGR they get clogged all the time. Dont pay for this stuff... just pull it off of a 96 six avenger from a junk yard you'll pay about ten dollars...in stead of two hundred for the parts. Remember for the furure its always a vacuum problem or a catalytic problem.Just unplug the O2 sensors to check for Cat problems. Sorry they really got you dude A distibutor and computer...damn thats about 400 dollars. By the way is your fuel pressure regulator ( on the fuel rail)connected to a vacuum hose running to the fuel rail?
  • mike565mike565 Posts: 1
    Why didn't we all read this forum before we bought our avengers. I love my 95 es v6 and only want the best for it. It doesn't seem to share my affection though. I've got the same stalling problem as ya'll and i've tried most of the same remedies. I've never replaced any of the relays but i just put in a computer from the junkyard. Maybe by process of elimination we can figure this out. I've put to much money into this car to stop now. Now there are too many things right to walk away. I haven't put enough miles on it to see what the results will be from the junkyard computer, or to know if this is the "big fix"we all need. I'll let ya'll know. God bless us everyone.
  • jamie47jamie47 Posts: 7
    I purchased my 2008 avenger in 2008. from driving off the lot it started all ,y problems. the 4 ways didnt work, when i took it to get fixed, they said it had wiring problems, the wiring was all messed up they said. Then i started feeling a hesitation. like a pulling back. then it started stalling, it always had very bad gas mileage. then i started going through brakes after brakes and rotors also! my air bag lights always come on. brake light comes on now and then. so i took it after it finally let me sit. it needed a fule pump. then it needed 2 modlues. then it needed an alternator, now its back in after only 3 months of fixing all of that. and the same module burnt out! chrysler has been good to me and paid over 1000. for the fuel pump and module. now its out again! they have been good to me, but the car is unreliable, now i have to buy a brand new car and have another 5yr pymt when i only had 2 yrs left on this one. we all need to get together and contact the attorney general with all these same problems we all have together! i feel there should of been a recall on many things like them brakes and rotors i see a lot. its too often! and the stalling, many things. my trunk also leaks all over when u open the trunk lid. anyone who wnats to get together with me and start something. email me at gurlygirl_jamie@yahoo.com
  • jamie47jamie47 Posts: 7
    mike, i have a 2008 avenger mine did the same exact thing. it ended up being a fuel pump and modules. it stalled and pulled back like a hesitation when u are going steady, until finally one day it wouldnt start at all. hope maybe this helps