Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Toyota Camry Transmission Questions

Comments

• santocssantocs Posts: 54
    I could not find the toyota service bulletin. could you please send it to me?
    I did a search on google with EG8025 and all other search parameters, but could not find it :(.
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    Hi All:
    As you know from my postings in the past, I am on the road most of the time with regards to my career. I own a 2007 Camry XLE V6 vehicle that has none of the problems that I have seen on these boards. (That does not mean that the problems do not exist, rather, it simply means that for some reason my vehicle doesn not have these issues.)
    Recently, I had the opportunity to speak to a person who also owns a 2007 Camry XLE V6. His vehicle has the transmission "flare issue!"
    NOTE: ----- According to this Camry owner, the "flare issue" disappeared after he had the throttle body cleaned! ------ Question: ----- Could a malfunctioning throttle body, on a "drive by wire vehicle" be causing the "transmission shift flare?"
    Best regards.
    Dwayne :shades: ;) :confuse: :)
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Doubt it. The flare was first reported on brand new vehicles, and the engine 'flares' without the vehicle moving forward....so it's effectively not in gear.

If the transmission was fully engaged and in gear......and then the engine throttle had a problem......you wouldn't have a +1K engine RPM flare.
  • spyskyspysky Posts: 2
    I can download the T-SB-0068-08 (EG8025) with at this web address, hope it works for you:
    forum.autocd.ru/download.php?id=2812

Confirming my previous post, this recalibration of the engine and transmission has turned one of the worst performing cars I've ever had into the best. Fixed in my 4-cylinder 2007 Camry are:
    1. no more sluggish downshift -- punch the gas and it goes like you expect.
    2. no more so-called 'trying to find the sweet spot' between gears on slightest incline. The road trip mentioned earlier found me on I-20 between Birmingham and Atlanta. In cruise control at interstate speeds on quite steep inclines the car held in 5th gear with a smooth increase in rpm, in many cases where I would expect a properly functioning transmission to down shift. In fact, it took a very steep incline to finally get an opportunity to see how it would perform when it clearly needed to down shift. Answer: smooooth! When it got very steep the transmission smoothly down shifted to 4th, and then consistently held it for as long as the incline demanded it, finally almost seamlessly leveling back into fifth when I crested. Previously it would have been down to 3rd and back up then down, etc., but this time it functioned just as I wanted. Other clunkiness issues are all basically fixed as well.
    Sounds great... I have asked my dealer about this and he said he is not even aware of these TSB's. he said he will run a diagnostic check when i take my car for first servicing. I have done only 4000 miles to waiting for couple 100 miles more to take it for first servicing.
  • Thanks for sharing the great news. I am having this TSB performed ASAP. The previous TSB (Aug 07) did not help the annoying downshifting on smallest of upgraded roads. Can only imagine my 07 Camry driving as good as my 2000, and 2003.
  • Great news!!!! Had the new TSB installed, and my 07 Camry does not exhibit the very annoying Downshifting on the least road upgrade. It now performs better than the day I bought. Mileage= 16,700. Color me a happy Camry Owner.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    Yes, everyone should have this TSB done - '07 thru some early 09's. I had it done to my manual transmission '07 I4 CE, and it accelerates smoother and quicker. It only took 30 minutes, under warranty, which for this is 96 months or 80,000 miles (Fed. emission warranty).
  • sunilvsunilv Posts: 26
    I have done all the TSB released for transmission issues. I have done the latest TSB and it is better now than ever before. But the problem for me I feel a jerk in 1st and 2nd shifts. I asked the Dealer to test it and they just reset the Computer memory and asked me to drive about 50 miles with stop and go in slow traffic roads. I thought when I did the TSB it will reset the memory. Will it?
    Now even after 150 miles my car jerks in 1st and 2nd shifts. My car is a 07 Camry 4 Cyli Auto Trans bought in 2006 Apr.

Is there any problem with my torque conertor or transmission? Please help me anyone, bcos I want to ditch this car if it is going to be fixed after my warranty expires.
  • leinieleinie Posts: 4
    I purchased a used, '07 Camry LE 4 cylinder (30K, built in 5/07) last week, and I like the car very much. After driving for awhile, I noticed that it does seem sluggish/hesitant when I let off the gas (rather than slowing down smoothly, there is a slight "bucking"), and then bucks slightly but picks right back up when I step on it (however smoothly) again. I realize this isn't really the same problem that so many others seem to have experienced with the transmission, but is this just a characteristic of the '07 transmission, or is it something that can be addressed by this TSB? It just seems like it should be a smoother transition from letting off the gas and stepping on it again.
    Take it in for the TSB - it is free, and only takes 30 minutes. Makes a huge difference in performance. TSB0068-08
    Sunil,

I am also facing the same problem. Most of the transmission issues are resolved after the TSB but the jerk when its shifting from 1st to 2nd gear is still there.

Cruise has improved, The hesitation has gone (except in first to second gear).

Am i correct?

anybody any clue what could be done for this problem?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Your transaxle is of a relatively new design, circa about 1998, that is capable of "real-time" reduction/control of the ATF line pressure, and thereby increasing FE not insubstantially. I have no doubt that you could provide a circuit to constantly "push" more electrical current into the PWM solenoid controlling the line pressure but absent the engine/transaxle ECU "knowing" the line pressure always remains adequate to support a gearshift and/or fully and firmly engage clutches under high drive torque stress the modification would be of little help.

And absent being of a reasonable level of help it would be needless to have to add the extra ATF cooling capacity the modification would undoubtedly require.

Apparently that's what was done with the '01 to '03 RX300's and even with the extra ATF cooling capacity provided by the towing package it still resulted in overheated ATF indications in as little as 40,000 miles.
    I had the TSB done today...I can't say I noticed a LOT of difference in the way the car behaves. Is it really true that the car needs to "learn" the way I drive, and it will adjust and probably be better after that?
    Also, what are the chances the problems will come back?
    The problem won't come back, it is a program change, it can't just put in the old program! The TSB has been out for 4+ months, and everyone has been VERY happy since - enjoy your car! :)
    Entirely possible...
    Is the dealer "required" to place the sticker under the hood stating that the update has been done? I have the work order stating that it was done, but there is no sticker under the hood...I know I don't have a reason to doubt that it was actually done, but as stated earlier, I didn't notice any immediate change in the acceleration/deceleration, so I'm hoping this is just because the car is still adjusting to my personal driving habits...
    According to the TSB, the dealer is supposed to put the sticker under the hood - mine did, it states "Authorized Modifications" and lists the new program #. I noticed an immediate change, as did most others on another Toyota only site. Also, on this other site, the change is permanent, no reports of going back to the old program, which I wouldn't ever expect anyway.
    Hi All:
    QUESTION: ---- Are there any owners out there in "Toyota Land," who have a V6 Camry with the "famous" and "infamous" 3 to 4 shift flare problem, that have NOT applied the TSB fix to the transmission, and have experienced a total transmisssion failure as the vehicle accumulated miles?
    I am sure that there are many V6 Camry vehicles out on the road that have the problem, but for some reason, the owners do not notice the issue. With that in mind, I was wondering if the issue with the "3 to 4 shift flare problem" does eventually cause a total transmission failure, at a higher mileage as the vehicle get older?
    Best regards! -------------- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
    If the "flare" is the result of a poorly engaged clutch or clutches, say as a result of low ATF pump pressure(***), then premature failure of the/those clutches would be the expected result.

On the other hand if the problem should prove to be simple idiocy, say leaving the transaxle in "neutral" for a brief period, on the part of the firmware programmers then I would expect no premature failures.

*** To improve FE the ATF pump pressure regulation is now under constant, "real time", control of the engine/transaxle ECU firmware via the use of a PWM electric solenoid. The lower the engine torque is at a given moment the lower the ATF need be to hold clutches from slipping. An upshift from 3rd to 4th would clearly imply/allow a LOW ATF pressure.
    Good Morning WWEST:

QUESTION: ---- If the driver of the vehicle with the problem was to shift the transmission manually from 1 to 4, would they experience the 3 to 4 "flare" either shifting up or shifting down, (3 to 4 / 4 to 3)? ------- If no "flare" is experienced in manual mode, I would think there are a few possibilities for this occurrence! ---- 1.) In the manual mode, there is another holding device coming on in each gear that is not normally "on" in the automatic drive selection mode. ---- or ---- 2.) There is a higher apply pressure to the holding components, thus no "flare" ---- or ---- 3.) There is no "scheduling valve participation" in the shifting process between gears, since the shifting is being determined by the driver. ---- If I had to guess, I think that the transmission is going into a "neutral" for a split second, (that is no holding device "on" in the gear sets)! ----- Reason, ---- if a vehicle had a pressure problem and it had 40,000 + miles, there would be postings on this site about major transmission failures, since the vehicle in question is a 2007 model. In the absence of these postings, I believe there is a scheduling problem on the 4 to 3 downshift and the 3 to 4 upshift when navigating slowly on the city streets. (The throttle opening and the speed of the vehicle does not send a sensitive enough message to the computer to select an appropriate gear, thus the computer gives the vehicle a "neutral"!) I would bet that a driver could force a smooth / positive up-shift on the automatic side of the selector, by accelerating hard, and as the vehicle is picking up speed, slowly backing off on the throttle, (thus decreasing throttle pressure), and allowing governor pressure to force a up-shift! ---------- What do you think?

Best regards! ------------ Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
    Yes, I would guess that if you accelerate rapidly up to a speed that "denotes" the use of 4th gear and then let off the gas the flare would not happen. The "instant" you let off the gas the engine torque load (and RPM) will be UP and therefore the ATF pump will have HIGH flow capacity and with the engine torque at that level the pressure control will hold at a higher level.

In a normal case, normal, "easy" rate of acceleration, the engine torque load and RPM is getting lower and lower as you climb up in gear ratios. Once you reach 4th gear range the ability of the engine driven ATF gear type oil pump to provide sufficient flow/pressure has become quite low, in comparison.

Should there be any reason for a delay of the next upshift, say you lift the throttle slightly in anticiation of having reached your speed "goal", the ECU firmware might ease off the real time pressure regulation/control (ECU:.."do I need to remain in 3rd or 3rd and lockup..??") and now ATF pressure will need to be "rebuilt" from scratch once the ECU determines an upshift to 4th is required.

Just a guess....
  • vizyovizyo Posts: 35
    I had hesitation with my Camry 2007 LE 4 cylinder. I had ECU reprogrammed from 333A5000 to 333A5100, which is T-SB-0068-08. Response of the tranmission seems to be improved when I accelerate; however I still have a problem with shifting when I do "stop" and "go" at the stop signs in the city. After a full stop, when I accelerate, shifting from the first gear to second is not smooth and the car badly vibrates. This occurs after about half an hour driving right at the beginning of the acceleration (7~8mph) from full stop. When the engine is cold, It does not do it. I found some additional TSBs on the forums (TSB 0068-09 & EG036-07) thinking that it would fix the problem and took the car to dealer. They checked it and noticed the problem. They searched a new TSB over TSB 0068-08 and they could not find anything newer. They told me that TSB 0068-08 was the final TSB fixing all tranmission issues on 2007 Camry. I really want to know if the latest ECU code for 2007 Camry 4 cyclinder is 333A5100. Is there any other new TSB for the tranmission issues after 0068-08? Please help.
  • I have an 07 camry v6. I currently have 77,000 miles on the car. The transmission totally failed this weekend. I had no previous problems. Totally loved the car. On Friday it started acting up and by sat I couldn't even drive. Once in 3rd gear it shifts like crazy trying to find the gear. I took it to Toyota and they will not fix the car because I am 4000 miles over my warrenty. I contacted toyota Corp and they will not do anything. I found the service bulletin and stated that my car is in the effected vin period with the faulty transmission and still nothing. They want me to pay $6000 in parts alone. If anyone can please help me with advice on how to persue a claim I would really appreciate it. I bought the car used a year ago and just don't understand how they could put a car on the road that they knew had problems.
    Thank you. Emily :sick:
    Hi emilyb28
    Since I have the same vehicle, I am interested in the story. My 2007 XLE V6 Camry now has 53,250 miles, and I have never had the transmission issue that you read about on these boards.
    Best Regards Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
    Hi emilyb28
    How are you dealing with this problem? ----- Has Toyota offered any assistance?
    ----- Best Regards ---- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • No Toyota has not offered me any assistance. I filed a claim and after their investigation they returned my call and stated that since the amout is so much and I'm over my warrenty that they are not going to help me. I told the man on the phone that Toyota should stand behind its product and fix it since they knew it was a problem and infact that it should have been recalled. He replied back with "it wasnt a guarantee that it would happen to every vehicle and Toyota has no problem standing behind their product but since I'm over warrenty its now my product." I am currenty looking into a class action law suit. It may take a while to get it going because of the amount of people there are with this car but I dont think it is right they put a product out that cant stand up to its name. Its ridiculous how they have handled it. :sick:
  • ewe2ewe2 Posts: 20
    I have a 2006 toyota that just hit 100,000. And then the transmission started acting up. I'm posting this because this particular TBS has been amended to include all 4 cylinder Camrys from 2006 to now include 2008 and 2009 with the auto transmission if your vin # falls into this range. What my car does is exactly as the TBS says. Warmed up. Once your've gone above 45mph and come to a stop. The transmission will make a "clunk" noise from 2nd to 1st. The fix is to replace the solenoid assembly. My problem is the local dealer says they do not "tear down" transmissions but just replace them . A $4099 plus sale tax amount. The bulletin doesn't sound that difficult. So much for Toyota quality. I'd pay for the solenoid replacement but they won't even give me the option. Plus this is TSB is date 4/15/2008 to include the 2009 models. So they knew they had a problem and sold the cars anyhow.
    :(

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/skyvisions/2008-04-24_171056_08_camry_4_cylind- e.pdf