Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Toyota Camry Transmission Questions

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    If the "flare" is the result of a poorly engaged clutch or clutches, say as a result of low ATF pump pressure(***), then premature failure of the/those clutches would be the expected result.

On the other hand if the problem should prove to be simple idiocy, say leaving the transaxle in "neutral" for a brief period, on the part of the firmware programmers then I would expect no premature failures.

*** To improve FE the ATF pump pressure regulation is now under constant, "real time", control of the engine/transaxle ECU firmware via the use of a PWM electric solenoid. The lower the engine torque is at a given moment the lower the ATF need be to hold clutches from slipping. An upshift from 3rd to 4th would clearly imply/allow a LOW ATF pressure.
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    Good Morning WWEST:

QUESTION: ---- If the driver of the vehicle with the problem was to shift the transmission manually from 1 to 4, would they experience the 3 to 4 "flare" either shifting up or shifting down, (3 to 4 / 4 to 3)? ------- If no "flare" is experienced in manual mode, I would think there are a few possibilities for this occurrence! ---- 1.) In the manual mode, there is another holding device coming on in each gear that is not normally "on" in the automatic drive selection mode. ---- or ---- 2.) There is a higher apply pressure to the holding components, thus no "flare" ---- or ---- 3.) There is no "scheduling valve participation" in the shifting process between gears, since the shifting is being determined by the driver. ---- If I had to guess, I think that the transmission is going into a "neutral" for a split second, (that is no holding device "on" in the gear sets)! ----- Reason, ---- if a vehicle had a pressure problem and it had 40,000 + miles, there would be postings on this site about major transmission failures, since the vehicle in question is a 2007 model. In the absence of these postings, I believe there is a scheduling problem on the 4 to 3 downshift and the 3 to 4 upshift when navigating slowly on the city streets. (The throttle opening and the speed of the vehicle does not send a sensitive enough message to the computer to select an appropriate gear, thus the computer gives the vehicle a "neutral"!) I would bet that a driver could force a smooth / positive up-shift on the automatic side of the selector, by accelerating hard, and as the vehicle is picking up speed, slowly backing off on the throttle, (thus decreasing throttle pressure), and allowing governor pressure to force a up-shift! ---------- What do you think?

Best regards! ------------ Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Yes, I would guess that if you accelerate rapidly up to a speed that "denotes" the use of 4th gear and then let off the gas the flare would not happen. The "instant" you let off the gas the engine torque load (and RPM) will be UP and therefore the ATF pump will have HIGH flow capacity and with the engine torque at that level the pressure control will hold at a higher level.

In a normal case, normal, "easy" rate of acceleration, the engine torque load and RPM is getting lower and lower as you climb up in gear ratios. Once you reach 4th gear range the ability of the engine driven ATF gear type oil pump to provide sufficient flow/pressure has become quite low, in comparison.

Should there be any reason for a delay of the next upshift, say you lift the throttle slightly in anticiation of having reached your speed "goal", the ECU firmware might ease off the real time pressure regulation/control (ECU:.."do I need to remain in 3rd or 3rd and lockup..??") and now ATF pressure will need to be "rebuilt" from scratch once the ECU determines an upshift to 4th is required.

Just a guess....
  • vizyovizyo Posts: 35
    I had hesitation with my Camry 2007 LE 4 cylinder. I had ECU reprogrammed from 333A5000 to 333A5100, which is T-SB-0068-08. Response of the tranmission seems to be improved when I accelerate; however I still have a problem with shifting when I do "stop" and "go" at the stop signs in the city. After a full stop, when I accelerate, shifting from the first gear to second is not smooth and the car badly vibrates. This occurs after about half an hour driving right at the beginning of the acceleration (7~8mph) from full stop. When the engine is cold, It does not do it. I found some additional TSBs on the forums (TSB 0068-09 & EG036-07) thinking that it would fix the problem and took the car to dealer. They checked it and noticed the problem. They searched a new TSB over TSB 0068-08 and they could not find anything newer. They told me that TSB 0068-08 was the final TSB fixing all tranmission issues on 2007 Camry. I really want to know if the latest ECU code for 2007 Camry 4 cyclinder is 333A5100. Is there any other new TSB for the tranmission issues after 0068-08? Please help.
  • I have an 07 camry v6. I currently have 77,000 miles on the car. The transmission totally failed this weekend. I had no previous problems. Totally loved the car. On Friday it started acting up and by sat I couldn't even drive. Once in 3rd gear it shifts like crazy trying to find the gear. I took it to Toyota and they will not fix the car because I am 4000 miles over my warrenty. I contacted toyota Corp and they will not do anything. I found the service bulletin and stated that my car is in the effected vin period with the faulty transmission and still nothing. They want me to pay $6000 in parts alone. If anyone can please help me with advice on how to persue a claim I would really appreciate it. I bought the car used a year ago and just don't understand how they could put a car on the road that they knew had problems.
    Thank you. Emily :sick:
    Hi emilyb28
    Since I have the same vehicle, I am interested in the story. My 2007 XLE V6 Camry now has 53,250 miles, and I have never had the transmission issue that you read about on these boards.
    Best Regards Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
    Hi emilyb28
    How are you dealing with this problem? ----- Has Toyota offered any assistance?
    ----- Best Regards ---- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • No Toyota has not offered me any assistance. I filed a claim and after their investigation they returned my call and stated that since the amout is so much and I'm over my warrenty that they are not going to help me. I told the man on the phone that Toyota should stand behind its product and fix it since they knew it was a problem and infact that it should have been recalled. He replied back with "it wasnt a guarantee that it would happen to every vehicle and Toyota has no problem standing behind their product but since I'm over warrenty its now my product." I am currenty looking into a class action law suit. It may take a while to get it going because of the amount of people there are with this car but I dont think it is right they put a product out that cant stand up to its name. Its ridiculous how they have handled it. :sick:
  • ewe2ewe2 Posts: 20
    I have a 2006 toyota that just hit 100,000. And then the transmission started acting up. I'm posting this because this particular TBS has been amended to include all 4 cylinder Camrys from 2006 to now include 2008 and 2009 with the auto transmission if your vin # falls into this range. What my car does is exactly as the TBS says. Warmed up. Once your've gone above 45mph and come to a stop. The transmission will make a "clunk" noise from 2nd to 1st. The fix is to replace the solenoid assembly. My problem is the local dealer says they do not "tear down" transmissions but just replace them . A $4099 plus sale tax amount. The bulletin doesn't sound that difficult. So much for Toyota quality. I'd pay for the solenoid replacement but they won't even give me the option. Plus this is TSB is date 4/15/2008 to include the 2009 models. So they knew they had a problem and sold the cars anyhow.
    :(

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/skyvisions/2008-04-24_171056_08_camry_4_cylind- e.pdf
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    Check this again - the time to repair is listed as 1.9 hours on the TSB. That means they probably could do it in an hour. I'd go to a different dealer. Even at $90 per hour labor, you have $180 labor, plus the solenoid is $128. It is not a replacement of the transmission at all. Go back to them, point this out, and see what they say. Or call Toyota, if you really want to get them in action. Bad dealer!!

"Plus this is TSB is date 4/15/2008 to include the 2009 models. So they knew they had a problem and sold the cars anyhow. "

Well, 2009 models came out in early 2008.
  • vizyovizyo Posts: 35
    Hello sunilv,
    How do you describe the jerk? I have 2007 LE 4cycl camry with only 14,000 miles on it. The problem I am having is that my car does not shift from 1st to 2nd gear smoothly. When the engine is cold, I do not have any problem. But after driving it about half an hour and do "stop" and "go" driving it does not shift to 2nd gear smoothly and there is a weird noise coming from the transmission. It is like shifting directly from 1st to 3rd gear and the car does not move smoothly and shakes. I took it to the sevice. They first replaced the solenoid. It was better for just a day, then the problem returned in the next day. I took it back to the dealer. A technician took snap shots with a computer and reported it to Toyota. I have been going through this for the last 3 months and still waiting for Toyota to get back to the service with a solution. The last time when I talked to the service, they told me that if they have to replace the tranmission and the same problem occurs again, they do not have anything else to do and I will have to make myself get used to it as the car operates like that !!! There are a lot of stop signs where I live and the car is definitely not drivable with this condition.

I am also having a lot of vibrations with my car. At the beginning it was occuring between the speed of 65mph and 75mph but now it randomly vibrates almost at every speed. The whole body and steering wheel vibrate. I had the ECU reprogrammed with TSB 0068-08. It helped for the hesitation problem but it did not fix the vibration. Then I found out that Toyota issued a new bulletin TSB-0106-08 for the vibration problem. You can find the description of this TSB below. Because I knew that I would be told in the service that it would be due to tire balance or it is normal to have such a vibration and etc, I first did a few test drives myself and took vibration data with all detailed information. Then I took the car to the sevice with all proofs that the tire balance was not the cause. After doing a test drive with their technician, they found the TSB in their system and decided to apply it. I am still waiting for the tranmission problem to be fixed first then they will do it after. I am sure there are a lot of Camry owners out there having the same problems but they are probably not aware of them at all. I have stopped counting the number of times I took my camry to the service since the first day I bought it. The problems that I have listed here are just a few of them. I had too many more .... After driving corolla and matrix for a long time without a major problem, I just relied on the same quality. It was a huge mistake. Big shame to Toyota !!! I am now thinking of getting rid of this car and never ever buy a Toyota again.

"TSB-0106-08: Toyota: front suspension- some 2007-2008 model year avalon, camry, camry hv, and solara vehicles may exhibit a steering wheel flutter and/or a body vibration (floor or seats) at highway speeds (approx. 65-75 mph [105-121 km/h]). "
  • comuscomus Posts: 24
    It is good you have had no problems, I am now on my 4th Transmission2007 Camry XLE V6 12/31/09 4th Tranny BLOWS by comus
    Jan 02, 2010 (12:02 pm)
    Save | Reply | Edit | Delete
    This will be my fourth Transmission and 2nd 2007 Toyota XLE Camry V6. The first one was replaced by Toyota under LEMON LAW. I have taken the car back to where I purchased it , Carmax, Laurel, MD. I just had the car towed there on a roll back, Happy New Year. SO NO THE PROBLEM ON THE TRANSMISSIONS ARE NOT FIXED. Toyota Corporate told me it was FIXED. Right now, Toyota has left me with NO CAR. I make my living driving
  • comuscomus Posts: 24
    Here ya go.
    2007 Camry XLE V6 12/31/09 4th Tranny BLOWS by comus
    Jan 02, 2010 (12:02 pm)
    Save | Reply | Edit | Delete
    This will be my fourth Transmission and 2nd 2007 Toyota XLE Camry V6. The first one was replaced by Toyota under LEMON LAW. I have taken the car back to where I purchased it , Carmax, Laurel, MD. I just had the car towed there on a roll back, Happy New Year. SO NO THE PROBLEM ON THE TRANSMISSIONS ARE NOT FIXED. Toyota Corporate told me it was FIXED. Right now, Toyota has left me with NO CAR. I make my living driving
  • Same problem here, Only I have a 6 cylinder.
    Transmission has been replaced, driveshaft replaced and torx converters replaced.
    New software also loaded.

Still no fix.

Never buying a Toyota again. (Even though I liked the cars)
  • emilyb28, Have you got anywhere with the class action suit? I ask because like most people on here my transmission has failed after the warranty, but it has had problems since 10,000 miles. I even found a service bulletin where Toyota admits to the transmission being defective. They want me to pay $5,135 to have it replace with the odds that it will go out again from what i have been reading. Please let me know if you have started a suit, i would like to join. If not i will start a suit of my own and you and anyone else is welcome to join in. My Car is the 2007 XLE V6 which from what i have learn is the model with this issue. Anyone with the same issue please email me (dlecompte21@att.net) with your contact info if you will like to join in on a class action law suit. I'm sure the more people that file at one time the better the odds of winning.
  • Thank You for posting this message. Yes,We too have the very same problem amongst other things thats wrong with this vehicle. Our car is at the Toyota dealer this very moment and we just got a call from them and they said that there's nothing that they can do because it's not doing it to them and it's not showing the symptoms that we described and they are releasing the vehicle because there are no problem found,and it's really not fair because it doesn't happen everyday but it does happen alot and it's scary,I posted a message earlier,I hope everyone will read it. Thank You.
  • chuck28chuck28 Posts: 257
    I've been hearing that same response from Toyota for over 3 years. I wish they would address in congress how many owners have heard the reply can't duplicate the problem. The problem is they don't have a fix yet and they don't want to buy back the cars. I'm still hoping the truth comes out which I believe is a software problem.
  • radiowomanradiowoman Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    dlecompte: How did you resolve your 2007 XLE V6 Transmission problem? Did Toyota resolve the issue for you? Or did you have to pay for the repairs yourself. I am now in the same situation. I have a 2007 XLE V6 with 77,000 miles and my transmission just went out. The dealer also quoted $5100. Please help!
  • ewe2ewe2 Posts: 20
    Ours was a 4 cylinder. The replacement of the valve body worked for us.