Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta Basic Maintenance Questions (Oil changes, fluids, etc.)

Comments

• 87irocz2887irocz28 Posts: 3
    Is the car a standard or an automatic? An auto would have tranny fluid but a standard would use regular gear oil which can look like motor oil, but at the same time you wouldn't have a dipstick under the hood for the transmission if it was a standard, the dipstick would be for the motor oil.
    My girlfriend has an 01 jetta gl and her car started overheating today. Being the typical male who drives an american car I lifted the hood and looked for the coolant resevoir that I'm familiar with and low and behold there was nothing that resembled what I'm used to working on. I checked the hoses with the car off and while running it and they don't get pressurized while the car is running so im assuming there is either no coolant running through the motor or the car has a bad thermostat and isn't allowing any coolant to flow from the radiator, but I figure start with checking the coolant levels and go from there. HOWEVER the car never came with an owner's manual and I'm not sure where to begin. Can someone tell me where to locate the coolant reservoir on this bad boy, and how many quarts should be in the radiator and motor? Thanks.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,081
    Your TDI is in the prime of its life. I have just over 100,000 miles on mine and am getting over 700 miles per tank of fuel.

You are not overdue for OilChange... (OCI is 10,000 miles. so you have 2K more miles left to go) HOWEVER: I prefer to do my OilChanges on the even 10K mile marks so they are easy to remember.

Consider these other maintainace items If they have not been done for awhile.
    *) Clean Snowscreen (at least once a year!)
    *) Replace Cabin Filter (at least pull it out and clean it a bit)
    *) Replace Fuel Filter
    Do not forget that VW *requires* the proper "G12" coolant which is stamped on the side of the coolant reservoir. No other coolant should ever be used. (If it is not pink DONT USE IT!)

Here is a webpage with photos of coolant reservoir
    (And explains a common problem called "coolant migration")

I relize these photos are a TDI... but I beleive all the MKIV engines have the same coolant reservoir.

Now that you can locate the coolant reservoir and install the proper E10 liquid. You can check the functioning of the waterpump by observing the small hose plugged into the upper part of the coolant reservoir. With engine idling, this hose should be 'peeing' antifreeze into the coolant reservoir at all times.

I cannot tell you how much liquid the system holds because you did not tell us WHICH ENGINE you have. (VW offered at least 4 different engines on that vehicle)
  • psahupsahu Posts: 1
    I bought 2004 VW Jetta 6 months ago whose manufacturer warranty is expired but I have powertrain warranty until Dec 2010 since it was a certified VW. Today all of a sudden speedometer stopped working and also gas indicator needle started swinging. It looks like something like a electronics problem. My question is, will it be covered under powertrain warranty, if not, how much fixing might cost me.
    Pls let me know.

Thanks,
    Pankaj
    bpeebles -- thanks for all the info! very helpful to say the least, and she has the exact coolant reservoir that they say has the most problems -- great!

the car is a jetta gl with a 4 cyl -- I think its the 1.8 but its not turbo so I dont know if thats correct. Also, can I get the g12 coolant at any auto parts store or do I need to get it from volkswagen? And what is the E10 liquid?

Thanks!
    Sorry - I mistyped when I said "E10" above.... I meant "G12"

There are several sources for "G12" antifreeze. Obviously, the dealersip will have it at a price. Also, any foriegn-parts suppliers will have G12.

Beware that some of the available G12 will be "premixed" and ready to pour in.... other G12 will need to be mixed with DISTILLED water before adding to cooling-system.

Do not mix any automobile antifreeze with tapwater.... the impurities in the water may affect it.
  • rodmc2rodmc2 Posts: 1
    I was trying to change the oil in a 2005 Jetta and don't know how to remove the oil plug
  • First off, I have bought a 2006 Jetta TDI and bought a new cabin air filter. I looked under the hood and it does not appear to be accessable.

Can anyone give me instructions, pics would be great, on how to change this thing.

thank you in advance for your assistance.

Chris :confuse:
    I have not changed cabin-filter on 2006... but I seem to recall that it is behind the glovebox. There are step-by-step instructions with photos on the internet if you do some research.
  • Seeing that we are taking the TDI on its first trip (Nashville to Rochester NY and back) I thought I should carry a qt of oil in the truck just in case.
    Went to the dealer today (can't find the Castrol in the stores yet) and bought a qt.
    The part number is ZVW352540S DSP. Castrol SLX Professional LL03. SAE 5W-30. 1.05 qt. "Meets VW 507.000 specs." Cost was $6.49 (tax not included).
    Hope this helps clear up some of the confusion I've seen here and on other forums.
    you said ==> (can't find the Castrol in the stores yet)

Are you trying to be funny? You may never ever find VW507.00 spec oil in a "store". However, the price you paid is very reasonable for VW507.00. (are you CERTAIN it is 507.00?.... many dealerships have been known to inadvertantly put the WRONG oil into TDIs... thus voiding the warantee.)

The only place I purchase my oil is from ==> tdiparts.com

In fact, I have a 5L bottle which I just orderd... time for the 110,000 mile oil-change.
  • If I ordered my oil through tdiparts I would pay over $11.00 (a liter) for the same oil I paid $6.39 at the dealer. If you are happy paying almost twice the price for the same oil, more power to you.
    Have you checked at your local dealer to see if they sell the oil you need?
  • fho2008fho2008 Posts: 393
    That meets VW specs, widely available.
  • If you're looking for 504/507 oil then it is available at PepBoys now. They offer this oil along with the Mercedes 229.51 5W-40 oil for their DPF equipped diesel cars.

Price per liter for Mobil-1 ESP 5W-30 is $6,99. The price is the same for the Mobil-1 Formula M 5W-40 but it is packaged in quarts.
    I do not need to use the 507 stuff in my 2003 TDI so I am not paying that 11/L either.

I agree that you should look for the best deal you can... I suspect your dealer has MIS-priced that 507 stuff and is loosing about $5 per liter they sell. That $6.39 sure looks like the standard dealer-price for the lower-grade oil which is for the older TDIs.

...that "clean diesel" oil (507.00) is normally VERY expensive
  • fho2008fho2008 Posts: 393
    $22 for a 5 quart at wally world.
  • I have a 2008 2.5L Volkswagon Jetta, what kind of oil does it take from the store? (Just want to make sure I am buying the right oil) I have 5w30 full synethic oil made by Castrol I bought yesterday from Farm and Fleet- will that work?

Also, any recommendations where I could find an air filter for this car?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Castrol Syntec 5W-40 does meet VW spec 502, it is what my dealer uses. However, I am not sure about the 5W-30. In any case, 5W-40 is preferred by VW.
    Simply look for "VW 502.00" on the bottle of oil. If it does not say it... look for another oil.

BTW: Be aware that there are superceded VW-specs that may meet "VW 502.00" .
    For example "VW 505.00" meets "VW 502.00" spec
    ... but you will not find "VW 505.00" oil in WallyMart.

Perhaps it comes as a surprise to some folks... but European vehicles commonly specify unique oil which may not be readdly available in American auto-stores. I have been ordering my oil from TDI parts website for many years.