Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV Electrical System/Lights

Hi, i'm new here. I just want to ask a question
I bought a 2002 Mazda MPV LX. The previous owner drives around 3000 miles per month, so the van has very high milage (146000 miles)
I found out the "check engine" alert is light.
I talked to the mechanic and I was told it was just the sensor's problem, no big deal. Can anyone tell me is it true? How to solve the problem? :blush: :confuse:

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    A check engine light could be caused by a faulty or fouled sensor. The fix is to clean or replace the sensor.
  • thanks for telling me that, can u please tell me is it expensive to change the sensor for that? Can i do it myself? :confuse:
    If doing mechanical work on a modern V6 engine doesn't bother you, sure, why not. I have no idea how much the part is. Most engines have more than one sensor--first you'd need to figure out which one. Labor cost varies a lot depending on if you use a dealer or other mechanic.

Maybe someone who has replaced one of these sensors on an MPV can reply and give you more details. Personally, I would not mess with it and would take it to the dealer (the fact my 2002 MPV has a bumper-to-bumper warranty with 0 deductible until 2011 is a big factor there).
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Would you mind sharing some info on who you got your extended warranty from and for how much?
    The warranty is from Ultimate Warranty Corp. I got it when I bought my van last April from a used-car dealer (not Mazda). The cost is a little tough to figure, since I was negotiating with them on the total cost including the warranty, and the final cost including warranty was about $1000 less than their initial asking price for both the car and warranty. But officially, according to the contract, the warranty cost $1,114. It's for five years from date of purchase (to April 2011) or 100k miles, whichever comes first (the van had 44,500 miles on it when I bought it). I put 9-10,000 miles a year on it, and plan to keep it for no more than five years, so the terms were just right for me. It is bumper-to-bumper, zero deductible, and includes rental car coverage and (for the first two years) roadside assistance.

I haven't had to use it yet, and I hope I don't have to, but I figure one problem with the powertrain (which seems pretty common in the MPVs) will more than pay for the warranty.
    That's a pretty good price for five years no deductable. I looked at warranty.direct about a year ago...it may have been around $1,600 for 4 years/0 deductable.

We just hit 20k in our 2004 MPV LX(bought in July 2004) I believe our dealer said we had 1,000 miles before manufacturer warranty ran out to extend warranty. Can't really decide to go for the extended warranty or not. I think if the warranty was extended at the price that Toyota Siennas warranties go for, around $800 7yr/70k/0 deduc...it would make the decision a lot easier.

I haven't really read that many complaints about problems with the MPV's powertrain. The ones I have read are usually dealing with the transmission shifting hard and reflash not working. I haven't read many that the transmission had failed or needed to be rebuilt/ replaced. The Ford Duratec 3.0 engine...can't recall any complaints(on reliability).
    If the tranny on my MPV shifted hard, I would consider that a problem. Maybe if someone pays for the repairs, my Mazda dealer would hop right on it? ;)
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    any time your check engine light comes on, it leaves a code in the computer. The best thing to do is take the van to an auto parts store like Advance Auto parts, Pep boys, Auto Zone, etc. They can read the code for you and give you a print out for FREE (a dealer will charge at least $60 for this). Just tell them that your van has the "check Engine Light" come on. It will take about 5 minutes tops. Then post the code on this forum and I am sure someone will be able to help diagnose the problem. This way you wil know if it something you need to take care of right away.

there are too many things that could go wrong to even guess what the issue could or how much it costs. Once you get the code, others can help determine what is wrong.

Good luck.
  • thanks for telling me, the shell mechanican charged me 75 dollars for checking it. I just did it then I felt stupid enough to pay it. I just want to say some dirty words to that shell store XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. :mad:
  • My check engine light on my 2000 Mazda MPV with 86,000 miles has been on for about two years (so probably since around 60,000 miles) with no noticeable problems. I recently failed a vehicle emissions test due to the cel being on and showing code PO455- meaning a large fuel vapor leak. The emissions tester recommended replacing the gas cap, so I took it to an auto parts store, replaced the cap, and they reset the code. Well the cel disappeared for about 3 days and has now come back on after about 200 miles. Does anyone have any idea where to start fixing this problem? Also, I was told I shouldn't go back for an emissions test after the light had been reset until I had driven for at least 500 miles, is that true or could I have taken it back before the light came back on again, and possibly passed emissions or would the code still have shown up?
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    There is a TSB for p0455 (that's zero four five five, not the letter O) that mentions a wiring harness as a possible cause. And yes, if you went back to the test, they would have been able to determine you cleared the code and that can be grounds for failure on the test.

Even with no noticeable problems, your engine and emissions equipment may be getting damaged by ignoring the CEL for 2 years. You should get it checked out by a dealer or reputable shop. Don't ignore the CEL, if anything at least find out the code and search the 'net, but don't ignore it for 2 years!

-Brian
  • hawkeyes2hawkeyes2 Posts: 5
    Mazda Millenia 2002 2.5L I went to A zone, he read it was two things, and showed me P 0 455. Spark plug mis fire hole 2, and Emissions leak (Large). I bought a spark plug, and changed it. It was old, and worn out, so I am going to do all 6 now. It is either that or a S Plug Wire.
    The second part...should I just go to Firestone and ask them to replace all the large hoses that are related to air flow? Or, is it narrowed down to a hose or two and I should just do it myself? What do you think? I have to buy a Hanes for it, or Chiltons...don't have an engine diagram to show where the right hoses are.
    If you know that is only one or two hoses, and where they are, can you help me?

Thank you very much.
  • I'm little confused about how many parts are connected to the engine light? I have a 2002 mazda mpv and already changed and fixed the sensor, coil, converter, cylinder 2, 3, gasket, and other little parts. The light is on and now we a jolt when the gas paddle is press hard. We also fail the inspection, due to code P0037 (emission problem will be cover by Mazda)but the dealership is said it is the P02404 problem ($1,000 to fix). The frustrating parts is the time and money spend in the dealership. Does anyone know if the engine light misfire is a recall. Is the 2002 model a defect? :confuse:
  • Our 2001 mpv had smoke coming from the steering column, followed by the headlights only working on high beam. We took it to the dealership, who told us it would be around $500. They then changed their minds and said the harness is melted and it will be around $3000, and they will be happy to sell us a new vehicle, as we would surely not want to put that much money into our old, paid-for van. Had anybody else had this issue?
    We had been advised that our insurance might cover this, and after contacting them were told they would cover the repair as well as a rental. They contacted the car rental place and authorized the rental, but have since said they wouldn't cover either one. Does anybody have any advice?
    Thanks!!
    Don't know. But, I may try for a second opinion... maybe from a shop that specializes in electrical. I would sure want to know why the harness melted before putting in another one though. Don't know why your car insurance said they would cover it... it didn't catch on fire. :confuse:
  • I have a 1994 MPV. 4WD 3.0 V6 W/Lockers. Two questions: 1) Anyone have an idea why after I turn the MPV off the lights come on about 1 minute later? They stay on for about 30 seconds and then turn off again. Then a couple minutes later on they go again. This continues until the battery dies OR!!! I flip the headlight control into highbeam? Any ideas??
    2) I have what appears to be a factory sticker that says "CODE ALARM" on both front door windows. Is that a stock Mazda alarm system? I bought the MPV used and didn't get any key fobs with it so I'm not even sure if it has keyless entry.
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    the wiring in the turn signal stalk wears over time on the older Gen1 MPV's.

-Brian
  • cwentzellcwentzell Posts: 1
    2000mpv es. Battery Light on. Battery 3years old. Alternator puts out max 13.5 volts. Alternator bad? Cost to replace? Where is it? 43000 Miles original.
  • engtechengtech Posts: 6
    I have a 2004 mpv. Had it in the shop this week to have a tranny range switch replaced do to a bucking problem. That didn't fix the problem with the van. After 3 days I finaly got an anwser from the dealer that it is a noise conditioner in the ignition system. I would like to know If any one has heard of this before. I have worked on cars for 10 years and have never had this problem on a car, van, or truck. Thanks for the input. :mad: