Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Hard and Soft Tops

mouthywonmouthywon Posts: 1
anyone know anywhere 2 find good prices on Wrangler hardtops in Missouri?

Comments

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Some of the guys and gals in Jeep Wrangler may be able to help you.

tidester, host
  • ufmikeufmike Posts: 4
    I found my used hardtop on eBay. I live in FL, but there were people selling hardtops all over the country. If you keep watching you'll probably find one that goes on auction near you. I got the hardtop for a good deal only $350 bucks, cheaper than my softtop. Good Luck.
  • We bought an 05 Wrangler yesterday. We tried for a couple of hours last night to remove the soft top. It doesn't seem like it should be so hard. We removed the rear windows and popped the latches above the windshield. We got the point where we needed to folder it back, but there is a pin of some kind that we can't figure out how to remove or adjust to allow for the fold back. These pins are to the left of the driver's head and the right of the passenger's head. We are new to this. Can someone point us to a previous post that explains it better than the owner's manual? Or can someone gives us some hints or pointers on what we are missing. Thanks!!!!!!
  • It is not necessary to remove the pins. When you open the doors you will flip the window channels up/out. This will allow the top to fold back.
  • kginfjeepkginfjeep Posts: 8
    If you have an Unlimited Wrangler, then yes those 2 pins must be released. Should just be able to pull them out and lift up slightly. You may need to release tension at rear of soft top to do this, I forget, have only taken off the top a couple of times.
  • We do have an Unlimited. We finally gave up and went back to the dealership for help. The pins were nearly impossible to release. They are better now, but we suspect the previous owner rarely, if ever, put the top down.

Thanks for you help!!
  • Hello gang!!! I recently bought my dream vehicle. A 1995 Jeep Wrangler. I've had no problems with any of the top removals, but am having some stress getting the bikini top on properly. Any assistance you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I seem to recall some discussion of bikini tops in the main Jeep Wrangler discussion. You may want to take a look there.

tidester, host
  • I thought that was about the regular ragtop. I'll check again to make sure, but thanks.
  • Yeah, it's me again!! The bikini top in the Wrangler discussion was of a "newer" variety. Mine involves the plastic/rubber insert and a track. I'm wondering about where the rear would attach or into/onto what specifically. I don't want to loose it driving down the road!
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Did you get this resolved?

-Paul
  • I have some fairly shrewd guesses, but that's it. I'm hoping for a more concrete answer from someone in the know.
    Thanks.
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Posts: 270
    It is hard to explain on here but I will try. I think the basic design of bikini tops has not changed. I have one on my TJ and I had one for my 93 YJ. I am not sure which part you have a question about. The straps at the back wrap around the roll bar. The long one in the center wraps around the roll bar and goes up to the front loop on the windshield frame. Put it through and then attach the end to the little bracket thing. I attach everything loosely first and then tighten it all down real well, starting with the center (long) one. The tighter you have the top the better. I will see if I can find a picture that shows it. Let me know if you have any other questions.
  • Outstanding sir - thank you so much. I thought that might be the case, but wanted to make certain. The weather is changing fast here, so I'm hoping to get another day or so to drive around with the top down!!
  • I just purchased a 1994 Wrangler with half doors and soft top. It's in beautiful condition and kept real well..

I have a few questions.. first it's a 4 cyl and an automatic. I use it locally so don't mind any lack of power but I was wondering if there were any issues/problems with this set up that I should be aware of.

Second, I've got the top pretty much on but seems I can't get it zippered completely in the rear side. Any hints on how to install these types or any web sites that address this issue.
    Thanks
  • Here's a link to an article with pictures:

http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/softtop/">

Hope this helps,

paulp575
    If it is cold out, the material seems to shrink, making it hard to zip up. You may also want to clean and treat the zippers for smoother operation.

-Paul
  • Like so many others with this problem, the seams in my 2002 soft top have unraveled so much that hard rain gets in. I know I should replace it, but can't afford that right now. Has anyone tried to resew/repair a soft top at the seams, instead of replacing it? If so, do you have any directions or websites on how to do it? thanks! ;)
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Take it to a marine or RV canvas repair shop. The expense will be minimal and the result will be much better than you're likely to achieve at a first attempt.
  • I need to purchase a replacement skin for my 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ. My top has an exterior windshield channel where the front inserts and velcro on the door braces top and sides. I am guessing this is manufactured by Best top but unsure. I purchased a replacement skin from Rugged Ridge but it did not fit. It had 2 inches of excess material at the windshield channel and no way to secure around doors to braces. Can anyone give me any advice on what top I have so I will not have to replace the entire frame?
    Pictures would really help. I would think Bestop, but with that 'exterior windshield channel' I'm wondering. I think Quadratec or JCWhitney have a tool on their website and/or in their catalogs that help you determine which type of top you have.

I replaced my TJ top, which was OEM, with a Bestop sailcloth Replace-a-top and it has been wonderful. IF you can go with Bestop, that is who I'd recommend.

-Paul
  • pkearpkear Posts: 26
    I have run across many different message boards where people were reporting the same thing a leak in the modular hardtop system. I even had this problem myself due to this part of the top being removed and reinstalled at the dealer a couple of days before I bought it by salesmen trying to show it off. This is fixed simply by removing the sunroof part of the hard top and reinstalling it properly according to the owners manual. This is as easy to do as taking 5 min under the cover of a DIY car wash in the rain when it started leaking like I did.
    What is important is following the instructions and working left to right. First you remove the front panels and reinstall them by laying the left side in first then the right. You then clamp the front to the windshield. Next you screw the rear down, keep going left to right. Then you clip the back corners and finally the middle clips and you are done. This should fix the leak.
    I suggest you do this yourself as I have heard horror stories of some dealer service centers being unable to fix this after repeated visits because even they reinstalled the top improperly. If you do take it by the dealer keep in mind they most likely have never worked on one of these before so they are about as in the dark as you are before you read this. I hope this helps someone especially those who are complaining without even looking at the top to see what could be wrong.
  • lfraserlfraser Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Wrangler and have just replaced the soft top! I can't seem to get the old uppers off the doors? The new uppers come with a velcro flap that allows you easily install onto the existing doors, however the old uppers seem to be sewed onto the frame of the uppers. Does anyone have any idea how to remove the original Soft top uppers on a 95 Wrangler? Thank you!
  • goducks1goducks1 Posts: 432
    Cut'em off chief. That's what you're supposed to.
  • skyking49skyking49 Posts: 112
    I am looking for a Cover for my Jeep to use during the summer. I keep the hardtop off for three months and would just like a cover for when it rains. Yep..I keep mine parked when this happens and drive my Honda. The cover should be good quality and a fair price. Any suggestions on storing my hard top? I have heard that some folks have had problems putting the hardtop back on after extended periods of storage. I thought of just putting it on two saw horses and covering it with a tarp.
    Some people have had problems with the hardtop sides spreading while removed. If you bolt the top to a couple of 2x4s with holes drilled to match the tub you shouldn't have that problem.
    That is an good idea. Last year I just sit it on some saw horses that were laid down on the grass and it did spread some but not too much. I don't want a repeat of that problem. I have seen covers out there from 40 to 100 dollars and was wondering if I could get by with the less expensive ones.
    www.jeepcovers.com

It's PERFECT, especially if you take your doors off too.

Yes, I have one, too. Can't help with the hard top, as I don't have one.

One of those hoist systems, where you store it hanging up in the garage may be an option, but not sure what stresses/distortions that may cause.

-Paul
    One of those hoist systems, where you store it hanging up in the garage may be an option, but not sure what stresses/distortions that may cause.

You can attach the hoist to the 2x4s mentioned earlier.
    http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=2006+jeep+wrangler+covers&hl=en&um=1&sa=X&oi- - =froogle&ct=title

I see some Jeep covers at the site above for half the price of those at jeepcovers.com.

Is the quality that much of a difference? The one at jeepcovers is over 100 dollars and around 57.00 at the site listed above.

How about some of the ones listed here? Thanks for your time. I just want to get a quality cover for the best price.
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Browse/tf-Browse/s-10101/N-111+10208+60001405- 8/c-10108