Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Hard and Soft Tops

Comments

• mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Those Froogle results are always interesting. You can buy a soft cover for your winch for $46.13 and a soft cover for the whole Jeep for $46.78! :)

Can't help with the actual question, but from previous experience I'd guess that the cheapest covers would be best for keeping dust off the vehicle while it's stored inside a garage.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    My Jeep cover was right about 100 with shipping (and a free hat).

-Paul
    Yes, that's where I'd be looking to ballpark it. While 'expensive' doesn't guarantee good quality, 'cheapest' isn't usually the best.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Posts: 250
    I paid about $100 for my cab cover. Didn't get the hat.

Cover works good and takes a lot of the worry out of leaving the Jeep some place with the top down or off, like when I take it to bicycle riding trails and am gone for several hours. I carry it folded in a small sports bag. Takes less than a minute to put it on.

Terry
  • skyking49skyking49 Posts: 112
    Did you get it at jeepcovers.com? What exactly is a hat?
    Was if water proof or water resistant? TIA
    What exactly is a hat?

I'm tempted, very tempted................but no, I'll be good. :shades:

Oh.......why not? image image image image image

Well, you did ask. :P
    JeepCovers is where you order them from.

A hat is an object usually placed on one's head to protect it from sun, wind, rain, etc. They come in many forms, such as baseball, tophat, helmets, fedora, sombrero, etc.

The one I got a year or so ago from JeepCovers is a baseball variety. :)

When the cover is on, no water gets in, so I guess you'd say it is waterproof. Check on their site and ask if you want clarification though. They'd know best.

-Paul
  • skyking49skyking49 Posts: 112
    Your guys are a riot. Truth be told I thought it was some type of cover for the Jeep that had that type of nickname.
    Not sure why you mentioned that you got one with your Jeep cover because its not like...oh gee I must now buy one of those covers because I cannot do without that cap. Thanks for the other info. A cap could also be a bullet...as in bust a cap... I will probebly get my cover from jeepcovers and just tell them to keep the cap. :)
  • lynnskilynnski Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm glad i found you all....i just read a great suggestion for stowing the hardtop.

I dont seem to be able to find the fliptop soft top for the unlimited and wondered what you all have found....good or bad.

Thanks!
  • jeffr5jeffr5 Posts: 1
    I am very interested in buying either a 2005 or 2006 Wrangler Unlimited. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on:
    1. which model, if either is better(more reliable)
    2. would it be a mistake to buy used as opposed to new(I have found a dealer that still has some 06's on the lot).
    3. Are there any inherent problems with the Wrangler Unlimited that I should be aware of.

Thanks for your input.
    The Unlimited is base on the SWB version which came out in 96 as a 97 model. Most of the issues were long since fixed by the time the Unlimiteds came out.

You need to decide if you want the older TJ style or want the newer JK style. I have a TJ, so I'm biased. :) Buying used or new is a decision for you only. I bought mine used, but I also planned it as a toy for offroading and a semi-daily driver. If you want this for daily driving, I'd probably opt for one of those leftover 06's, but you'll have to be happy with what stock is available. Buying used isn't a whole lot different, and it sure hurts a lot less when you get the scratches/dings on it when playing. :)

All that said, aftermarket support for the TJ and Unlimiteds is HUGE. If you can't get it from the factory anymore, I guarantee you that you can find the parts you want from OEM sales like jeepsareus.com or via the gazillion aftermarket suppliers (bumpers, fenders, winches, armor, interior accessories, electronics, etc).

The JK's market just isn't that big yet, and honestly, the aftermarket prices for things like bumpers and armor are quite high right now.

Personally, I'd opt for the 05 Unlimited, save some $$, and put that into some mods (bigger tires, lift, etc). Those Unlimiteds just beg for a 3" lift and bigger meats to look perfect.

But this is all just my opinionated opinion. :)

-Paul
  • tommyijrtommyijr Posts: 56
    Removed the Hard Top, put the Soft Top on, though it is easy enough to figure out how it goes on, it is very difficult to do. The Jeep is my wife's, however I for the life of cannot imagine her being able to use the sun setter option much less open it all the way without my help, and if she ever has to put it up in a hurry she is in trouble. She wondered if the top needs some time on the Jeep to acclimate itself to its shape? It had yet to be used. Any thoughts or suggestions? I don't want to have to spend this much time and effort putting this thing on, I had a
    CJ-7 and the snaps were never this difficult.

Another note, I did get one of those garage hoists, it works great though I think I will do some small modifications to ensure that there is no damage to the hard top. It was easy to remove the top and now it is stored out of the way, I recommend this option.
    Yes, once they're on the Jeep for a bit, the fabric does stretch a bit. if it was cool when you put it on, that would explain why it was tight.

-Paul
  • eltipoeltipo Posts: 21
    I have an '05 Unlimited that I bought new from the dealer in '05. I use the vehicle as my daily driver and I have not had any issues :) . I love the extra space the LWB gives me, yet the vehicle can still sneak in and out of tight places.

I looked at the new JK recently and am not impressed. Where did the tip and fold front seats go? About to have my first child soon and can't see getting to the backseat with any ease on the '07. The 4-door is not my bag. The one at the dealer was on dubs :confuse: .

IMHO go with the LJ, classic Scrambler look, nice ride, extra space, bulletproof engine, aftermarket, all in all loads of fun. I still give her a second glance as I walk away.

Good luck
  • mvnhmvnh Posts: 1
    Started this discussion as an FYI if someone encounters the same issue as myself.

Very recently - yesterday - purchased a used Wrangler Soft Top. Noticed the interior lights wouldn't function upon opening the doors. Owners manual says they should.

Found this discussion board, and got the answer.

At the fuse box, behind the glove compartment, check for the #4 (bottom right hand side of fuse box, Red 10 Amp Mini) fuse.

In some cases, the fuse is removed - in order to disable the auto function of the interior light functioning in the event you want to remove the doors; the light would be on ALL the time if the doors were removed if the fuse was in place.

In my case, there was no fuse. Put the fuse in, interior lights function as they should when the doors are opened/closed.

Thanks for all the posts on this subject. Wanted to create a title to be searched on, so the next person doesn't have to dig.
  • asharrillasharrill Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what is involved in swapping a 7 tub for a wrangler body?
    This a VERY common fix/mod to do when you want to remove your doors. With doors removed, lights will be on all the time inside (or shut off after about 10 minutes or so) unless you pull #4. :)

-Paul
  • wc3035wc3035 Posts: 1
    y'know the little clamps that are supposed to hold the back window down? they snap onto the back door and you're supposed to be able to tuck the roof flaps underneath them? I don't have a full working Jeep Vocabulary, so I'm hoping somebody knows what i'm talking about. These things won't stay put and it's driving me nuts.

Anybody have any ideas?
  • I recently bought a 2002 Wrangler Sport with a hardtop and full metal doors. I want to get a soft top for it but I was wondering if I can by the Bestop Supertop with the 2-peice doors and swap back and forth between the 2-peice and the full metal or if I have to by the top that is designed for the full metal doors?

I would like to have the 2-peice for the trails but it is nice to have the full metal for highway driving.

I do not want to buy a top that does not allow me to use the metal doors or causes an area for water to get in.

Please advise, any information will help. I would like to head up to the trails next weekend and would like a soft top in case of rain.
    I would guess that won't work, as the factory soft top requires the use of hard plastic flanges to get a good weathertight seal with the full hard doors.

It's only a guess though. Why don't you contact Bestop for the definitive answer (then let us know what they said)? :)
  • goducks1goducks1 Posts: 432
    No, it should work fine with the full doors, actually. I had a Bestop Sunrider top for my 98 at one point and the steel doors sealed up fine, metal surrounds are included with Bestop tops. There is no difference b/w the Bestop Supertop that comes with or without full soft doors.

For the record, I've got the Bestop 2-piece doors right now and use them with a frameless (non-Bestop) soft top in the summer. The windows fit into the top and the doors fit nicely behind the rear seat.

I'm glad I qualified my answer as a guess! :shades:

Makes you wonder why the factory couldn't have done the same with the top.
  • Thank you for the information guys. I was able to get a hold of bestop and they said that I am able to interchange the 2-peice doors with the full steel doors if I buy the supertop with the 2-peice doors. Thanks again.
    You're welcome. The Bestop soft doors are great around town because they yank on and off instantly, but the fabric vibrates noisily on the highway. The steel doors are much better above 50mph.
  • j_baumberj_baumber Posts: 1
    I just bought a 4-door Sahara with a Sunrider Soft-Top. When I was test driving it, I noticed that when the top was flipped back it covered a little of the back seat area but not all. The salesman said that I could configure the top to cover my kids in the back and/or I could purchase a Safari Top to do this.

Does anybody know how I could cover the rear passengers, but leave the front area open?

This is my first Jeep and I am loving it!
    Thanks for any help that you can give.
  • erin6erin6 Posts: 1
    We just purchased a 2000 Wrangler and have two problems. 1 - After putting the soft top up and down a few times we noticed we had somehow ripped it just above the passenger door. The tear is about 8" long and runs parallel to the door frame. There was an identical tear on the drivers side that was mended before we bought it. It looks like whoever fixed it sewed a long strip of canvas type material on the back and then reinforced the stitching on the outside with a black rubbery looking material. Anyone have this issue before and if so, how did you solve it? Any ideas on what the sealant is? Any experience with sewing up a soft top - would it be easier and not too pricey to have someone else fix it? If so, who? The Jeep dealership in my area said to get a new top but I see that it's been fixed before so I know it can be done.

2 - There's a small hole - about cigarette butt size - in the back plastic window. Any ideas on mending it?

Many thanks. This is my first time posting to an online forum of any type.
    you have a few different options here. Many marine canvas places can do some of the repairs you are asking about, so you might check with one in your area. Alternatively, you can either get a Bestop replacement top in whole or in part, which would use your original hardware and not be difficult for you to install. It would be much cheaper than anything the dealership could get for you, and Bestop actually makes the canvas tops for Jeep anyway.

Go check out Quadratec, 4wd.com, or any of the other aftermarket Jeep sites. You'll find the Replace-a-tops pretty quickly. Finding individual windows and other parts of the top may take a little more time, but they are also available, if you spend some time digging.
  • abcincabcinc Posts: 2
    Hi, what is or where is #4?

Thanks
    The missing word is 'fuse' (as in fuse #4)............ and the fuse itself is located in the fuse block behind the glove box. :)
  • sciguy85sciguy85 Posts: 45
    How is the top supposed to lay. I've tried numerous ways and part of the top rests against the spare carrier and the side supports just hang in mid air bouncing around. I'm concerned that the top will flap and rub on the carrier. Any ideas?