Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Hard and Soft Tops

Comments

• erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Soft top fabric is attached at each of the hardware 'bows'.

Rear most two bows (that attach to the cage behind the front seats) should just velcro or snap around the bar. Easy peasy.

The front bow is the windshield header. On my 97, that is held on via 10 or so screws. The screws go through the top where it is reinforced with plastic and screw into the header. Just note how you remove it and reverse the process as necessary. You may need to remove the top from the rear two bows and 'flip' it forward so you can see the screws. They may be hidden by fabric as I know the front attachment loops over itself.

-Paul
  • I seem to have some wiring issues in my control panel. As i'm driving, occasionally all of my needles will drop... if i bang on the dash, they all pop back up. I'm not overly worried about it, although sometimes my Check engine light comes on, as well as the airbag light... and i'm afraid that its going to come on and i'm going to dismiss it and there will actually be big problems. Anyone else have this problem?

One other thing... i have this rattling in my drivers side door... i know its coming fromt he handle because if i pull on it slightly it will stop. Is there just something i need to tighten inside the door panel that will make this annoying noise stop?!

Thanks!
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    I think there is a manual for installing the new one, but I dont know how to remove the old.

There's actually a video that came with the Jeep when it was new that shows the whole process. I'm sure it will be on a download site somewhere.
    Disconnect your battery.

For the dash, remove the vent cover over the defrost. Then remove the kick panel under the dash. Remove the metal cover under the kick panel. You can now remove the black cover around the dash. THEN you can remove the actual dash itself. Take some rubbing alcohol on a q-tip and clean the metal spades that are the connection point for the dash to the harness (mounted in the metal underneath on the firewall - impossible to miss). Do the same for the harness side. Some of the spades may be a little bent or tweaked. Straighten them as best you can. THEN, apply some dielectric grease to it to ensure a good connection.

Once you've done that, reconnect your battery. This should have reset any codes and your dash should be good to go. If any codes show up now, take it to Autozone and they can read the codes for you for further diagnosis, repair.

For your door, you running full or half?

For simple stuff like that, a Haynes manual (usually at Autozone or the like) is an inexpensive guide to working on things. If you want to do more of your own stuff, get a Factory Service Manual - they are invaluable at working more complex issues.

-Paul
  • I am stuck. How do you get the bolt that is near the rear doors out so I can take my hard top off? the one from underneath?
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,284
    I've started using DeoxIT contact cleaners for jobs like the IP gauge fix. You can find it at Radio Shack. It isn't cheap, but it's amazing stuff.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• busman01busman01 Posts: 46
    Just an FYI...

I was negotiating with a dealer on a 2010 Wrangler with the Freedom Top. He just called to say the supplier of the Freedom Top had gone bankrupt and they currently are not available. Jeep is looking for a supplier, and anticipates the hard tops will not be available until the 1st qtr of 2010.
    Given their propensity to leak, that isn't necessarily a bad thing IMO...

-Paul
  • davedenndavedenn Posts: 26
    I have an 83 CJ7 with metal doors. I would like to remove the doors during the summer and replace them in the winter when I reinstall the hard top. Is it possible to just remove the hinge pins and leave half the hinge on the vehicle as one would in a house? I have read several post involving using a grinder to remove the top of the pin after the hinge and door have been totally removed from the Jeep. Is this really necessary? My model has the mirrors mounted onto the door hinges and that makes it difficult to run without them and the doors too. I would like to install soft half-doors for the summer if that makes any difference. Any ideas?

:confuse:
  • edf4edf4 Posts: 65
    I don't quite understand what you want to do, but if you are concerned that removing the doors will take the mounted mirrors with them, there are several aftermarket manufacturers of mirrors that sell mirrors that mount on the base of the A pillar of the windshield. Do a search for Jeep mirrors or parts, and you will find a treasure trove of stuff. door less and topless is THE way to enjoy your Jeep in summer!!
  • davedenndavedenn Posts: 26
    Thanks for your help. I finally figured out that the doors actually just lift off! Fortunately, the mirrors are attached to the hinges so they stayed put.

Dave :)
  • What year hard top will fit a 2005 wrangler.
    97-06, BUT 2002 and earlier have, I THINK, a slightly different placement for the hood clamps.

Additionally, if your rear gate already has a vent in it, you likely want the top that has no vent integrated.

But they will all FIT.

-Paul
    Additionally, if your rear gate already has a vent in it, you likely want the top that has no vent integrated.

Vent combinations:

One (tailgate or top) :)

Two (tailgate and top) :)

None :sick:
  • I recently broke the slider on my 2005 wrangler unlimited's back window. The teeth have gnarled and the slider gets caught on them often, last time I tried wrenching it back and must have pulled a little hard. Is there any cheap way to fix the teeth so they stop catching and put a new slider on the zipper without having to replace the whole top?
    It may be possible to reshape the damaged teeth with a scalpel and a fine file, but it's doubtful.
    I would just have a new zipper sewn in. Any upholstery shop (marine/RV/domestic/custom) will do it; and the appearance should be almost seamless! :) :blush:
    No pun intended. :)

-Paul
  • Looking at purchasing a wrangler unlimited. Saw an 07 4dr sahara hard top auto with 31000miles for 23,000. What would be a good offer on this 19500? Or would leasing new be better?
  • I just bought an older Wrangler and it did not come with an owners manual.Will someone please help me with the proper way to remove the soft top and also how do you remove the frame around the half doors with the soft top down for that open air feeling!
  • I've read from the First page to the Last and didn't see this question answered (but it's late, maybe I missed it...): on 2007 newer Unlimited Wranglers with the Dual Top Option, is it possible to have both the hard top and soft top installed at the same time? I don't want to have to store the soft top during the "off season" (live in WI). Thanks in advance.